Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know where this is heading, because my oldest Son is a friend of a member of Mason's family, down here in Texas. Let's just say that it's all going to work out well for Mase and Molly. There are no concerns on their part whatsoever. They made their plans, and know what the next step is in life. Right now, he has his summer pretty much penciled in.

Strangely enough, my other Son knows someone in the Rodgers family, and they didn't have a clue as to what he was going to do, and really, didn't care, one way or another, because they have almost no communications with each other.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know where this is heading, because my oldest Son is a friend of a member of Mason's family, down here in Texas. Let's just say that it's all going to work out well for Mase and Molly. There are no concerns on their part whatsoever. They made their plans, and know what they next step is in life. Right now, he has his summer pretty much penciled in.

Strangely enough, my other Son knows someone in the Rodgers family, and they didn't have a clue as to what he was going to do, and really, didn't care, one way or another, because they have almost no communications with each other.
I’m going to miss Mason. I think he’s been an outstanding example for what it means to be consistent in both his work and personal life.

While I do understand teams move on from players. I would caution that Kicker is one position that rarely falls off a cliff. There have been many successful NFL Kickers that perform highly, far past any other position group. It’s also a position that’s is tough to get a Kicker that stays in the top half of the league consistently AND is an exceptional teammate and person off the field. You shouldn’t let those guys go over transient reasons.

I fully realize the writing on the wall shows Mason isn’t getting resigned and I love what he’s done for this team. It’s a tough league, I just hope he knows how much us Packer fans appreciate him. I think we will especially appreciate him until Carlson gets more consistent.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it’s one idea, we can’t assume Crosby won’t get signed by another team or just retire.

I don’t even know If he’d come back for Vet minimum (plus incentives). He might tell us to kick rocks. Although compared to what he’s been making, I think $1.25m-1.75mil range (including incentives) is worth any roster offset. As far as going 2022 and carrying 2 Kickers as Schultz referred to, I highly doubt anyone steals Carlson off PS into an active Roster. I don’t even personally think he’s ready yet. We should Redshirt Carlson until he can get more accurate past 40 yards.

As far as making some clean break? (Poker mentioned not you) It’s Mason we’re talking about not Aaron Rodgers. We can walk away at anytime (next season) and he’s good. I think it would be wise to keep some continuity on our team as we transition. No Packer is more solid than Crosby.

All that said. I fully understand our MO is to walk away from players a year early also. I’m not suggesting this is what Brian wants, this is my preference. I think we’re going to regret it in 2023 if we think Carlson will outperform Crosby. Expect this decision to possibly cost us 1 or 2 contests. Has anyone else looked at Carlsons record? He makes Crosby look like Justin Tucker
Good points. Gluten can decide.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is the right move. Not because they have a great option on the roster. They probably do not. But this is the season to let young guys play and figure out what you have moving forward.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one can’t wait for this offensive **** show. Defense has more pressure than any 3 phases of the game. Gary comes back I hope to God it’s run right. Thanks Mason! Enjoy your ring. This offense could pan out.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm betting Carlson doesn't have the accuracy to make the 53. I think the Packers will be trolling for a late pre-season kicker release. Given that this will be a rebuilding year (unless Love shows some magic), I can't say I really mind.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of Crosby, I always wanted to get a #2 jersey, but I never got around to it. But anyway, I'm fine with him moving on, I think it's the perfect time. I know some people were critical of him, but I only remember him missing a big kick at the end of a big game that I really wanted one time. That's not bad. He usually came through in clutch time.

D

Deleted member 6794

As far as going 2022 and carrying 2 Kickers as Schultz referred to, I highly doubt anyone steals Carlson off PS into an active Roster. I don’t even personally think he’s ready yet. We should Redshirt Carlson until he can get more accurate past 40 yards.

In my opinion it doesn't make any sense to keep two kickers. In addition it wouldn't be smart to risk Carlson being claimed by another team after using a draft pick on him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm betting Carlson doesn't have the accuracy to make the 53. I think the Packers will be trolling for a late pre-season kicker release. Given that this will be a rebuilding year (unless Love shows some magic), I can't say I really mind.

If you get pre-injury Carlson there is a ton of good there...lower body injuries to kickers however....geesh.

I'll say this much I fully trust Rich Bisaccia and this from all accounts was 1,000% a pick that he influenced and wanted. Until Anders proves Rich wrong I'll hold on to the faith...albeit smaller than I'd hope in size.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you get pre-injury Carlson there is a ton of good there...lower body injuries to kickers however....geesh.

I'll say this much I fully trust Rich Bisaccia and this from all accounts was 1,000% a pick that he influenced and wanted. Until Anders proves Rich wrong I'll hold on to the faith...albeit smaller than I'd hope in size.
I didn't know about the injury history or the nature of it. But as you note, I trust Bisaccia. If Carlson is his guy, that's good enough for me.

And this shows *** difficult it is to get a reliably good, consistent kicker. They usually come out of nowhere. Anyway, I hope he works out and I hope when he leaves, Crosby gets a classy send off. He's earned it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Anders injured his plant-leg (Left) on an onside kick attempt in Nov. '21. ACL's "generally" take 1-1.5 yrs to fully recover he began the '22 season on less than 9 months recovery... could play, but somewhat limited.

He then failed on a diving attempted TD-saving tackle on a KO return in '22 and broke the top of his humerus bone, ending his '22 season.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In my opinion it doesn't make any sense to keep two kickers. In addition it wouldn't be smart to risk Carlson being claimed by another team after using a draft pick on him.
With all due respect we just did it this last year (see Week 17, 2022) So obviously that’s completely false. There’s even a real possibility that none of these guys we are discussing will even be our PlaceKicker by next season. That position can be a revolving door until you lock one down that’s good.

So imo, there’s a low probability someone would use an active spot on a project K that they passed on for 6 Rounds and wasn’t some consensus draft rated player
(ranked #372) Kickers rarely get injured in comparison and most teams have a temporary contingency plan. That plan most often doesn’t include bringing in a project Rookie, or more often sign one with experience (ala Mason)
As far as PS? teams take risks leaguewide ever season in Late Rounders. For every one you lose you pick up 2. Carlson isn’t the only K the Packers looked at. If we’re scared to draft players in late Rounds because they might get poached, we’re not doing very good research in that regard.

So while there are reasons not to carry 2 Kickers, those 2 you provided wouldn’t really be reasons that are very convicting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Brian was telling Larry Mccarren (Packers Live) that nothing is etched in stone. Right now they have 2 Kickers in a battle for K1
Anders Carlson and Parker White (signed futures), whom replaced Ramiz Ahmed)

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will replace Crosby this year simply because of money. Anders Carlson would count about $40k against the cap from what I gather, and the other guy would be zero. Even if Crosby was better than both, the money issue is what will kill it for Mason coming back.

Of course Mase knew that over that last few months, and figured it was time to move on. While fans were arguing about it, and not understanding the business, he and Molly were making their plans for life after Green Bay. People need to realize talent doesn't always enter the picture, it's more about money, and with how stretched the Packers are with the cap, this was a given that needed to happen.

Don't even think about gong there with the statements that the Packers finally got it straight, and dumped Crosby because he's lost it. His 81.4% FG accuracy is second only to Longwell's at 81.6%, and if you throw out the years where EPs have been moved back, he's right up there with percentage of EPs made as well.

I might also add that he has scored nearly 2,000 points for the most in Packer history. Second on the list would be Longwell, with just under 1,100 I believe. So, let's face it. Mason Crosby has been one heck of a good kicker for the Packers.

Reaction score
The Packers will replace Crosby this year simply because of money. Anders Carlson would count about $40k against the cap from what I gather, and the other guy would be zero. Even if Crosby was better than both, the money issue is what will kill it for Mason coming back.

Of course Mase knew that over that last few months, and figured it was time to move on. While fans were arguing about it, and not understanding the business, he and Molly were making their plans for life after Green Bay. People need to realize talent doesn't always enter the picture, it's more about money, and with how stretched the Packers are with the cap, this was a given that needed to happen.

Don't even think about gong there with the statements that the Packers finally got it straight, and dumped Crosby because he's lost it. His 81.4% FG accuracy is second only to Longwell's at 81.6%, and if you throw out the years where EPs have been moved back, he's right up there with percentage of EPs made as well.

I might also add that he has scored nearly 2,000 points for the most in Packer history. Second on the list would be Longwell, with just under 1,100 I believe. So, let's face it. Mason Crosby has been one heck of a good kicker for the Packers.
I agree. Our priority is getting $Cap$ sound for next season.

Mason ranks #11 in the history of the NFL in scoring (1918) He recently passed Sebastian Janikowski (1913).

If Mason decides to find a new NFL home? he’d be just 87 points from #6 or #7 All-Time. There’s a 90% he would be at minimum #7 All-time by this coming January. That would be #6, but Robbie Gould is the still an active Kicker ahead of Mason.

The sad part is it’s very rare for a Kicker to be with 1 team (GB) and rank that high on this historic list. Detroits Jason Hanson at #4 (Detroit) was the only 1-teamer left to beat

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Mason decides to find a new NFL home? he’d be just 87 points from #6 or #7 All-Time. There’s a 90% he would be at minimum #7 All-time by this coming January. That would be #6, but Robbie Gould is the still an active Kicker ahead of Mason.
I believe both Crosby & Gould are free agents. Dallas is searching for a kicker, not sure why either of these guys hasn't been signed, yet.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah and that's why I hate to see him go. But generations as well as seasons change, and things have kind of conspired for the Packers to move forward with a retooled offense, and the center piece on STs. Even so, Love is inheriting a pretty good offense. If the D and STs do therir jobs, it should be a fun season to watch.

Reaction score
Yeah and that's why I hate to see him go. But generations as well as seasons change, and things have kind of conspired for the Packers to move forward with a retooled offense, and the center piece on STs. Even so, Love is inheriting a pretty good offense. If the D and STs do therir jobs, it should be a fun season to watch.
It’s definitely a new Regime. I guess it’s out with the old and in with the new.
The Changes are intriguing this season. We just need our Defense to elevate their game and our ST to stay out of their own way and we very well could Win a good amount of ball games.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all due respect we just did it this last year (see Week 17, 2022) So obviously that’s completely false. There’s even a real possibility that none of these guys we are discussing will even be our PlaceKicker by next season. That position can be a revolving door until you lock one down that’s good.

So imo, there’s a low probability someone would use an active spot on a project K that they passed on for 6 Rounds and wasn’t some consensus draft rated player
(ranked #372) Kickers rarely get injured in comparison and most teams have a temporary contingency plan. That plan most often doesn’t include bringing in a project Rookie, or more often sign one with experience (ala Mason)
As far as PS? teams take risks leaguewide ever season in Late Rounders. For every one you lose you pick up 2. Carlson isn’t the only K the Packers looked at. If we’re scared to draft players in late Rounds because they might get poached, we’re not doing very good research in that regard.

So while there are reasons not to carry 2 Kickers, those 2 you provided wouldn’t really be reasons that are very convicting.
My recollection. You answered someone's criticism of Crosby not getting enough touchbacks by saying we just drafted a K who will get you touchbacks so the point is mute. I then asked if you were advocating keeping 2 kickers on the active game day roster. You never answered that question, but did your round about suttle shot at me. IMO the other comments are from people who , like myself, took your comment to mean 2 kickers on the 53. Your answers to these people finally answer my original question , that you want 1 on the active roster and one on the practice squad if necessary. No charge for the interpreting.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My recollection. You answered someone's criticism of Crosby not getting enough touchbacks by saying we just drafted a K who will get you touchbacks so the point is mute.
Are we certain MLF wanted Crosby to kick touchbacks?