Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Pack will make their judgements based on who outkicks who in August/September.
I don't think that will fully be the case. The Packers have a ton of information on Mason and know what he offers. Eberle is a wild card, he is really going to have to totally shine for the Packers to decide to save a few million by going with someone they aren't fully confident in.

If I was to bet on which kicker is on the 53 come Sept., my money would be fully on Crosby and at about 5-2 odds.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that will fully be the case. The Packers have a ton of information on Mason and know what he offers. Eberle is a wild card, he is really going to have to totally shine for the Packers to decide to save a few million by going with someone they aren't fully confident in.

If I was to bet on which kicker is on the 53 come Sept., my money would be fully on Crosby and at about 5-2 odds.
I agree.

Last season, Cory Bojorquez looked pretty good punting early on. When the temperatures dipped, so did his punting average....Enter proven cold-weather punter Pat O'Donnell.

Reading the tea leaves, I'd say that bodes pretty well for Crosby.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eberle is no stranger to Bissacia however. IF Crosby wins the role, we will do all we can to protect Das Boot on our PS, he is the future post-Crosby IMO

Reaction score
Eberle is no stranger to Bissacia however. IF Crosby wins the role, we will do all we can to protect Das Boot on our PS, he is the future post-Crosby IMO
Yes. He could just be a contingency plan. It’s rare, but if a K misses any contest (e.g. Family death, illness, Covid protocol, suspension, injury on or off the field etc..) we should always have an alternate plan.

Also, if Mason has consecutive years of declining stats, that could cause enough concern to move on (there’s your “post-Crosby scenario” Such as a repeat of last season where we get in a slump.

Thirdly, one would think a more tertiary reason for having the competition is that it pushes the favorite to perform. Lights a fire if you will and that’s good for the primary Kicker because the better he performs? The longer his career and bigger his paycheck.

D

Deleted member 6794

FWIW in a competition among two players the one with the odds at 5-2 of winning the job is the underdog ;)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love for Eberle to out kick Crosby & win the job, saving a few $million. Eberle has very good accuracy over the past few years, but his kickoff length is consistently about 1 yard less than Crosby's average over that time...that concerns me.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know, Eberle is the favorite (by you) to make the roster, so I want the 5-2 odds.

I don't believe Eberle is the favorite to win the kicking job. Although you know that I wouldn't mind it happening.

Eberle has very good accuracy over the past few years, but his kickoff length is consistently about 1 yard less than Crosby's average over that time...that concerns me.

Are you talking about Eberle's eight kickoffs in the NFL or his numbers in college?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you talking about Eberle's eight kickoffs in the NFL or his numbers in college?
I meant to compare the last 4 years of each kickers' career, but F'd up the stats, anyway. Since 2017 Crosby has averaged 64.2 yds. Eberle's average since 2017 was just over 61 yds, spanning 3 collegiate seasons and one in the NFL (the 8 kicks you referred to). Those 3+ yds per kickoff is very concerning, as that would be a significant change in field position unless hang-time is more (which I don't have any info).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
hang-time
Yup....a very important stat for sure. The only reason I wished Crosby could have kicked balls out of the EZ, was because our coverage teams were so bad. If our ST unit improves, the shorter, but higher kicks, that must be returned, can actually be a good thing. Forces the opposing team to return the ball and if you have good coverage, you may stop them short of the 25, have them take a penalty or the best case, turn the ball over.

Heck, I always loved when the opposing team kicked into the EZ and we downed the ball. Our return teams and returner have been equally bad.

Reaction score
Yup....a very important stat for sure. The only reason I wished Crosby could have kicked balls out of the EZ, was because our coverage teams were so bad.

Heck, I always loved when the opposing team kicked into the EZ and we downed the ball. Our return teams and returner have been equally bad.
True that. Until we field a Return guy that can average considerably higher than 25.0.
Why risk injury or a turnover?

Get me a guy that averages 28.0+ per KR or shows he’s capable of taking a few to the house

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, if Mason has consecutive years of declining stats, that could cause enough concern to move on (there’s your “post-Crosby scenario” Such as a repeat of last season where we get in a slump.
If Mason has consecutive years where his stats go down that's not a decline :D

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If none of the rookie WRs should be counted on to help considerably this year than the mystery WR they would have drafted instead of Love would have helped win the Superbowl.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If none of the rookie WRs should be counted on to help considerably this year than the mystery WR they would have drafted instead of Love would have helped win the Superbowl.
Or just been another guy. As much as people, myself included, love to play the "had we just done this" game, there are too many unknowns at the time of the decision in question, as well as all the variables that change, with a changed decision. Nobody can say with certainty, picking another player, improves the team. Nor can one say it made the team better. It is what it us.

D

Deleted member 6794

I meant to compare the last 4 years of each kickers' career, but F'd up the stats, anyway. Since 2017 Crosby has averaged 64.2 yds. Eberle's average since 2017 was just over 61 yds, spanning 3 collegiate seasons and one in the NFL (the 8 kicks you referred to). Those 3+ yds per kickoff is very concerning, as that would be a significant change in field position unless hang-time is more (which I don't have any info).

I agree that if Eberle can't consistently kick the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs that's reason for concern. I really don't know if that's the case.

Do you know if stats on kickoffs are assessed the same way in college and the NFL?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gabe Brkic just released by Minnesota! Hit 3 50+ yd FG's in one game last season for OK Sooners. Love to see him in camp battling Crosby...

D

Deleted member 6794

Gabe Brkic just released by Minnesota! Hit 3 50+ yd FG's in one game last season for OK Sooners. Love to see him in camp battling Crosby...

Taking a look at Brkic's stats I'm surprised he didn't get drafted. If the Packers don't consider Eberle having a legitimate shot of winning the job against Crosby it might be a decent idea to bring in Brkic.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m blown away Brkic I wasn’t drafted let alone already released….honestly not gonna be shocked if we find out character or law issues happened

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m blown away Brkic I wasn’t drafted let alone already released….honestly not gonna be shocked if we find out character or law issues happened
Supposedly he's got some small "mechanics" flaws which affect accuracy. Apparently Minnesota didn't or couldn't fix them so they cut him. He needs a kicking guru in his face for a few weeks...or a desperate team willing to live with those flaws.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly he's got some small "mechanics" flaws which affect accuracy. Apparently Minnesota didn't or couldn't fix them so they cut him. He needs a kicking guru in his face for a few weeks...or a desperate team willing to live with those flaws.

If you can't kick in a dome, good luck kicking in Lambeau in January.

Reaction score
Packers just switched out Kickers and claimed Brkic off waivers in place of Eberle. Kid does have a leg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts