Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cutting Bojorquez is a mistake. Somebody else like a backup qb can hold but he at least gave the Packers a punter who could finally kick directionally and had a big leg. He had a few poor games but was mostly very solid.
I think it was a combination of things. As you said he was mostly a very solid to excellent punter for us. But he was on a 1 year deal and a FA. He did have some inconsistencies, but mostly pretty good. But he did have some big stinkers too. Without those, I'd have been much more inclined to keep him around and find a new holder. But couple that with the fact he's likely going to get paid more than a team as tight against the cap as our's is they likely knew they couldn't retain him.

Maybe if the market is cool enough on a punter that can't hold, he comes back. It's not a given he's gone, but we're not in a position to pay much for a mostly good punter with some inconsistencies who might be a liability in our kicking units.

If we had cap space though I'd be fine designating another holder and rolling with it. If he was mr. consistency with his punts it would be a mistake not to, IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well either I’m not a good listener..
Or… maybe I like to test peoples theories. Kinda a myth or non fiction test (Love MythBusters!)

Justin Tucker is the best Kicker in the history of the sport.In 2021 Tucker had the 2nd lowest TB% of his career (52.2%) against career 61.9% avg.
His Kickoff average was his career low at 60.5 yards.

Let’s look further to another top 5 Kicker, Harrison Butker from KC.
In 2021 Butker TB% was 65.6% (3.2% LESS than his career average) yet his KO Average nearly tied his worst at 62.9 yards.

So I’m thinking what happened? these MUST be anomalies right?
I go to back to Justin Tucker and look for another bottom TB%. In 2019 he was 53.8% TB%. You’d naturally expect that your rule would make his yards pop to near career highs? and yet that was his 3rd worst KO average across 10 seasons.

Then let’s go out further, past to 2015 where his TB% was a career ASTOUNDING high 85.1%. If your theory holds.. his average yards should be much lower right? Nope. It was his #3 highest in 10 seasons.

And with all due respect Sir. That is why I don’t listen well :tup:

My point is that Crosby's average kickoff distance got padded because teams returned a total of 17 of his kickoffs out of the end zone compared to only three with Tucker and six with Butker last season.

Cutting Bojorquez is a mistake. Somebody else like a backup qb can hold but he at least gave the Packers a punter who could finally kick directionally and had a big leg. He had a few poor games but was mostly very solid.

It seems like players at other positions don't have enough time to practice holding for field goals. That's why teams prefer to use punters for it.

To answer the Captain's question, I haven't seen anything that specifically guarantees Crosby will be back, but I do take note of the fact he wasn't fed to the wolves like our punter. Of course, I do believe he's going to need to rework his contract with an extension, to stick around. There is a little meat on that bone to make it work.

I believe Crosby will receive the chance to compete for the job but it's far from a given he will hold on to it for next season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To answer the Captain's question, I haven't seen anything that specifically guarantees Crosby will be back, but I do take note of the fact he wasn't fed to the wolves like our punter. Of course, I do believe he's going to need to rework his contract with an extension, to stick around. There is a little meat on that bone to make it work.

I believe Crosby will receive the chance to compete for the job but it's far from a given he will hold on to it for next season.
----------------------------------------------------------
Next year will be interesting. I think he'll retire. He'll come back home to the Georgetown/Round Rock/Austin area, down here in Texas, and live happily ever after. I doubt very much if he'll stay in GB to be honest. This is home, and family.

Since I spend half of ever year in the area, I don't blame him. This is an amazing area to live.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My point is that Crosby's average kickoff distance got padded because teams returned a total of 17 of his kickoffs out of the end zone compared to only three with Tucker and six with Butker last season.
I predict Crosby nails a big Kick this season (I put this in Bold
as a future locater)

Likely they test him earlier in the year if the situation arises. Then you will not only continue to backpeddle, but back it up by having no grounds for implying that he can’t make Kicks past 40 yards. I just have a gut feeling he’s going to rebound.

What’s a boomer? 55 yards?? I’ll give him a 54+ yarder for a 1 yard allowance. No HC is going to send a Kicker into that position of he doesn’t have the leg. Let’s see what happens. Ok?

PS I’m sorry I’m such a pest I’ll try harder. You know I love you like a brother Captain. It’s an Agape kinda love

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of crappy punters out there. Resigning Bojorquez would've meant that Gute won't have to find a lousy punter off the NFL scrap heap or spend a draft pick on somebody who doesn't work out. For a team that suppossedly wants to improve special teams, the move just weakened them. Makes even less sense now that that team will likely be punting much more next season witbout Adams and an o line that has been gutted with cuts and injuries.

Reaction score
There are a lot of crappy punters out there. Resigning Bojorquez would've meant that Gute won't have to find a lousy punter off the NFL scrap heap or spend a draft pick on somebody who doesn't work out. For a team that suppossedly wants to improve special teams, the move just weakened them. Makes even less sense now that that team will likely be punting much more next season witbout Adams and an o line that has been gutted with cuts and injuries.
@Sanguine camper. While I agree with parts of that. You do realize we signed Punter Pat O’Donnell a couple days ago?

His career averaged 45.1 is 0.3 yards (1ft) off Bojo’s
I’m thinking they studied him to get improvement as a holder and liked that aspect also.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Sanguine camper. While I agree with parts of that. You do realize we signed Punter Pat O’Donnell a couple days ago?

His career averaged 45.1 is 0.3 yards (1ft) off Bojo’s
I’m thinking they studied him to get improvement as a holder and liked that aspect also.
Pat O'Donnel's career is in a free fall and I doubt he can beat anybody out. He ranked 31st last year in net punting and last in hang time. He basically has a dead leg at this point in his career.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pat O'Donnel's career is in a free fall and I doubt he can beat anybody out. He ranked 31st last year in net punting and last in hang time. He basically has a dead leg at this point in his career.

Looks like he just beat out Bojo without even a competition, so I guess he could beat out someone.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a simple question we should all consider.

Would you rather have a punter with a half yard longer kicking average than one who can consistently put the ball down in the proper place for the kicker?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O'Donnell has a "dead leg"? Really? He punted 62 times for a 46.21 yard average. His best game he punted 7 times for a 56.71 yd avg. Bojorquez punted 53 times for a 46.55 average. On average Bojo's punts travelled 13" farther- 13"!!!

Punting in December/January is challenging due to wind & cold. O'Donnell punted 18 times averaging 46.5 yards. Bojo punted 15 times averaging 41 yards per kick. I'm happy to have an experienced punter in-house who knows how to cold weather kick and has plenty of leg left.

D

Deleted member 6794

I predict Crosby nails a big Kick this season (I put this in Bold
as a future locater)

Likely they test him earlier in the year if the situation arises. Then you will not only continue to backpeddle, but back it up by having no grounds for implying that he can’t make Kicks past 40 yards. I just have a gut feeling he’s going to rebound.

What’s a boomer? 55 yards?? I’ll give him a 54+ yarder for a 1 yard allowance. No HC is going to send a Kicker into that position of he doesn’t have the leg. Let’s see what happens. Ok?

If the Packers hold on to Crosby I definitely hope for him to have a great season as well. At this point I believe it's time to move on from him though.

PS I’m sorry I’m such a pest I’ll try harder. You know I love you like a brother Captain. It’s an Agape kinda love

:) I enjoy having discussion with you as well ;)

I don't consider net punting to be a great metric for a punter as he's most likely not the main reason the Bears gave up the second most punt return yards per attempt.

In addition I'm curious where you have the stats about hang time from.

Caya

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers hold on to Crosby I definitely hope for him to have a great season as well. At this point I believe it's time to move on from him though.

:) I enjoy having discussion with you as well ;)

I don't consider net punting to be a great metric for a punter as he's most likely not the main reason the Bears gave up the second most punt return yards per attempt.

In addition I'm curious where you have the stats about hang time from.
When was the last time the NFL had a kicker who also handled the punts? Did that ever happen? Like… lots of other position players can hold for the kicker. It’d be nice to just pay one guy for two jobs. Man… that made me sound like a capitalistic *****. Ha!

Caya

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When was the last time the NFL had a kicker who also handled the punts? Did that ever happen? Like… lots of other position players can hold for the kicker. It’d be nice to just pay one guy for two jobs. Man… that made me sound like a capitalistic *****. Ha!
I got censored for “pri*k”. Ha!

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The important thing with Crosy, or ANY Packer Kicker for that matter, is to consider the pressure and environment of kicking in Green Bay...

It's not easy LOL.

For example,, this isn't like kicking in say Indianapolis, in a dome for a not so great team....

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers had Don Chandler in the late 60's who handled both. Starr was the holder. I'm sure there were at least a few others in the league prior to soccer style kickers which started making their appearance with the Gogolak brothers around 1970.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When was the last time the NFL had a kicker who also handled the punts? Did that ever happen?

Russell Erxleben - Saints - 1979-1980

Erxleben was drafted in the first round (11th overall!) by the Saints after a stellar career at Texas as a punter and kicker. He was supposed to be the P/K and save a roster spot, but in his second game he pulled a hamstring and missed the rest of the season. Which meant the Saints had to add two players to their roster to replace him.

Erxleben ended up being a failure as a kicker but he did punt for about 7 seasons. He is on a lot of lists as one of the worst first round picks in NFL history. He was drafted two spots before Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow.* Ouch!

*Although I'm certain if Winslow had been drafted by the hapless Saints he would never have made the Hall of Fame. It was a huge benefit to be in Don Coryell's offensive system and have Dan Fouts throwing him the ball.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
When was the last time the NFL had a kicker who also handled the punts? Did that ever happen?
I recall recently teams including the Packers having the punter also do kickoffs. Still had the field goal kicker though. Recall it being used for older place kickers who were losing the booming out of the end zone kickoff abilities. Isn't common or long term, more of a get through the season stop gap.

Reaction score
Honestly ?? You never said anything ! :sneaky:;)
Captain is only tough on Mason because he loves him very. very much :tup:
Although they say “Sticks and Stones may hurt my Bones..but words will never hurt me”.

I’m not so sure anymore..
I think Mason would disagree! :laugh:

D

Deleted member 6794

The important thing with Crosy, or ANY Packer Kicker for that matter, is to consider the pressure and environment of kicking in Green Bay...

It's not easy LOL.

Yet opposing kickers who aren't used to playing at Lambeau have fared better than Crosby in Green Bay over his career.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair to Crosby, any comparison to other kickers needs to consider that the Packers lousy special teams give up a lot of blocked kicks. Maybe his kicks are too low but I would have to think his blocking is to blame most of the time. That said, his leg has declined which is evident in his short kickoffs. I hope Molson is Eberle have what it takes.

Members online

Latest posts