Good Read

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre shows he is an ageless wonder

By Vic Carucci
National Editor, NFL.com

(Aug. 21, 2005) -- One series. One play.

You didn't need any more than that to understand Brett Favre's special place not only in professional football, but in sports in general.

He has moved well beyond the status of superstar, legend or icon. He has moved into the territory of ageless wonder. You still appreciate him for all that he has done, but you appreciate him more for all that he can still do.

Anyone who has found it easy in recent seasons to question whether Favre should continue to play quarterback for the Green Bay Packers -- or any team for that matter -- would have had to have second thoughts after witnessing what he did in the Green Bay Packers' Aug. 20 preseason game against the Buffalo Bills.

Favre was on the field for only the Packers' opening drive, which lasted all of 13 plays. Even by preseason standards, it barely qualified as a cameo appearance. Yet his performance spoke volumes about the state of his game as he begins his 15th NFL season, and with his 36th birthday only a couple of months away.

Facing one of the league's best and most talented defenses, Favre effortlessly moved the Packers on a 75-yard drive that ended with him throwing a 12-yard touchdown pass to running back Ahman Green. The scoring throw was spectacular, but before we get to that, it's important to note what Favre did to help set it up. He confused Buffalo defenders with convincing hand fakes on running plays. And he showed that he was sharp as ever throwing the ball when, on third-and-5, Najeh Davenport picked up a blitz and Favre kept the drive moving by tossing a 10-yard pass to Antonio Chatman.

Of course, the highlight of the game -- even though the Packers were on the wrong end of a 27-7 loss -- was Favre's TD toss to Green. Favre was at his improvisational best as he dropped back with linebacker Jeff Posey racing after him unimpeded from the outside. Favre began running to his left to avoid the pressure, but Posey stayed in pursuit. Anticipating that Favre would need an outlet receiver, Green ran to the end zone. And Favre did about the only thing he could do with a defender closing in for a sack. He twisted and threw a perfect touch pass to Green.

"Well, I've made that play before," Favre said afterward. It was a nice way of reminding the rest of us that as impressive as the throw might have been, it wasn't anything new for him. He had done it many times before.

Heading into his 15th NFL season, Brett Favre still has what it takes.
Of course, the point is that Favre looks as if he could do it many times again. That isn't simply the result of being blessed with extraordinary genes. Favre works at staying at the top of his game, as evidenced by the fact in two preseason games he has completed 13 of 16 passes for 132 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. He spent a good portion of the offseason working on making his torso stronger. One of the obvious benefits is the ability to twist effectively enough to avoid a sack and throw as effectively as he did on the 12-yard touchdown throw to Green.

"The workouts didn't hurt my ability to make it," Favre said.

Mike Sherman, the Packers coach, has seen his share of amazing plays from his quarterback. He added the scoring pass against Buffalo to a long list of plays created by Favre.

"I call it a 'Stutter-Keep,' and it wasn't there," Sherman said. "He moved his feet and found the back. He had guys in his way and pulled up and made the throw. That's a play he wanted to be able to make, I know that."

The fact it's a play Favre still can make is the very definition of an ageless wonder.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed slick...articles like this, Madden, and the ESPN SNF announcers can be a bit too optimistic/cheery at times.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
Not many other QBs could have made that play.

I totally agree bro. I simply think he's gone a little overboard with his depth of how important the play was and how he views Brett.

Brett is Brett and he's excellent no question. The play was great to see it did give us hope that well no it gave some proof that his off season training has paid off.

favrefourevre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised reading that from Carucci. He doesn't usually have many good things to say about Favre, just that he's over the hill and whatnot.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Slick, Musscy...

Why so critical of Favre? Do you think that he doesn't deserve such accolades?

If so, why not?

This is the kind of stuff i'm talking about...and it is EXACTLY..the reason why Sherman has a good W/L record with the Pack...

Favre wins games by being Brett Favre.....

(I think some of you people have forgotten that..or take it for granted...but you will when he retires!)

FARVE WINS GAMES...more often than not because he is that good....

(Farve has been covering Sherman's *** for years...and it will be exposed when he is gone!)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forget, but I think it was the regular season vikes-pack game last year in Lambeau, towards the end of the first half, Brett threw a TD where he knew he was WAY past the line of scrimmage, yet could have run it in, and was later seen laughing the play off, as were the TV commentators. The Pack had to settle for a fg as a result of that, which almost came back to haunt them later in the game.

This is just one of example of a trend that bothers me...his mistakes are excusable if not commical. Yes he's great, the Pack probably wouldn't have gone to the SB w/out him, blah blah, but a mistake is a mistake, whether it's made by Chris Atkins or Brett. The Dan Patrick thread irks me because of this...where is it written that nobody can criticize a superstar? Do they not screw up too? Should they not be held accountable for errors?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Slick, Musscy...

Why so critical of Favre? Do you think that he doesn't deserve such accolades?

If so, why not?

This is the kind of stuff i'm talking about...and it is EXACTLY..the reason why Sherman has a good W/L record with the Pack...

Favre wins games by being Brett Favre.....

(I think some of you people have forgotten that..or take it for granted...but you will when he retires!)

FARVE WINS GAMES...more often than not because he is that good....

(Farve has been covering Sherman's *** for years...and it will be exposed when he is gone!)

Oh buddy please read my post and understand what I am saying. Here i'll try to make it more obvious.

This article seems to be dropping a red carpet in front of Brett for a Pre Season play and to ME that is over dramatic for one play in the pre season.

Look at the graphic in my sig box bud lol

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
favrefourevre said:
Musccy that was the playoff game. Longwell missed the field goal.

Thanx for the correction, which actually better supports my point...the Pack were in some hot water at the point, if I remember correctly, so they could not afford mistakes, yet Brett was smiling after that, and the TV announcers were laughing it off?!?

Members online

Latest posts