Geronimo Allison signed 1 year deal

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I read that the deal is just north of 2M.

I love this move, in that Allison is a steadier, more experienced hedge against the possibility that the 2nd year receivers aren't ready to take the next step.

If they don't, he's a much better option than forcing unprepared receivers to stay on the field, and if they do, he's great depth.

I also like that it's an inexpensive one year deal, so there isn't a long term commitment to worry about if and when MVS, EQ, Moore, or Kumerow take hold of that #2 receiver job.

Reaction score
Great move great price.
The way things are panning out I wouldn’t doubt if Gute stays on the throttle and packages picks to move into the top 5-10 range if he thinks a player worthy.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great move great price.
The way things are panning out I wouldn’t doubt if Gute stays on the throttle and packages picks to move into the top 5-10 range if he thinks a player worthy.

I can't in any way see moving up barring some miraculous reason Bosa falls below 5. Edge is pretty deep otherwise if that was the direction they were looking at #12 (which I doubt will be so). So the only other players you are probably entertaining is Oliver (another somewhat deep position), Devin White/Bush (I believe one of them will be around at #12), or a shocking move up for Metcalf/Hockenson. I give moving up from #12 a 0% chance in this draft.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
It’s a tender. Which means others teams can offer him a deal over the next 30ish days. We would have to match it to keep him or let him walk. Similar to what happened with Kyle Fuller, us and the bears last year.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a #2 but I like Allison. Still need a deep guy who can be that #2. Golden Tate or AJ Green in a trade.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a tender. Which means others teams can offer him a deal over the next 30ish days. We would have to match it to keep him or let him walk. Similar to what happened with Kyle Fuller, us and the bears last year.

Yeah, and I for one am hoping some team makes an offer that's too high for the Packers to match. Which to me would be anything more than the 2 m.

I just don't think Allison is good enough to warrant holding back the development of the much more physically talented young guys. The only thing Allison has on them is his grasp of where to be at all times. Something the young guys will only gain with experience. So if you keep Allison you are slowing that learning process down which isn't worth it because the sooner those guys get up to speed the better as they have much higher cielings than Allison

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
we still need a real #2 wr. we have adams and everyone else is a 3, 4, or special teams guy.

After one year, we know that none of the younger receivers on this team can be a #2? How? Do tell.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and I for one am hoping some team makes an offer that's too high for the Packers to match. Which to me would be anything more than the 2 m.

I just don't think Allison is good enough to warrant holding back the development of the much more physically talented young guys. The only thing Allison has on them is his grasp of where to be at all times. Something the young guys will only gain with experience. So if you keep Allison you are slowing that learning process down which isn't worth it because the sooner those guys get up to speed the better as they have much higher cielings than Allison
I feel like your too tough on Gmo, hes not too old himself (25). It is true that we are lacking a true WR #2, but Gmo might have the best odds of actually becoming one. Its a great signing as it will only create more competition among MVS-ESB-GMO into becoming that nr 2.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we still need a real #2 wr. we have adams and everyone else is a 3, 4, or special teams guy.

Let's not forget this really will be Gmo's second true year with his injury last year....MVS, EQ and Moore all could make sizeable jumps (I don't expect Moore too but still)...let's not forget some of the hatred Adams got after his first year.

Not to mention Kumerow is still a motivated dark horse that was showing he could really find openings.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a #2 but I like Allison. Still need a deep guy who can be that #2. Golden Tate or AJ Green in a trade.
What is with this love for Golden Tate? Seriously! He's not that good.

As for the signing for Geronimo. I find this move typical on our part, and especially at the price we got him for. The dude is a solid #3 receiver. Certainly not a number 2 like we need. Honestly I see MVS, and Kumerow beating him out. I don't dislike him, but I don't like him enough for where we went out of our way to keep him.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is with this love for Golden Tate? Seriously! He's not that good.

As for the signing for Geronimo. I find this move typical on our part, and especially at the price we got him for. The dude is a solid #3 receiver. Certainly not a number 2 like we need. Honestly I see MVS, and Kumerow beating him out. I don't dislike him, but I don't like him enough for where we went out of our way to keep him.

Not sure what isn't to love about Tate? I mean the price won't be right for us most likely but hes coming off 4 out of 5 90+ catch seasons and would have likely been in line for a 5th straight had he not been traded to the Eagles. He is great in the slot and would likely be everything we have been missing with Cobb the last several seasons.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what isn't to love about Tate? I mean the price won't be right for us most likely but hes coming off 4 out of 5 90+ catch seasons and would have likely been in line for a 5th straight had he not been traded to the Eagles. He is great in the slot and would likely be everything we have been missing with Cobb the last several seasons.
Missing Cobb for the last several seasons? What the hell? So he was out of action for a majority of this past season and that was enough to scare you guys? Need I remind you all that the previous season who our QB was the previous season? And the previous year where we ran the table, need I remind you that Jordy was still our number 1 if I recall, and Adams was starting to break out as the number 2 receiver? So naturally Cobb would get less touches. Who did Tate have to compete with again in Detroit that is better than Jordy and Adams? I'll wait.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Allison is light years from being a #2 on a contending team. He has never even had more then 30 catches in a season. If Allison is our #2 were not going anywhere.

With the Lewis signing I expect the Packers to grab an elite receiver early in the draft.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Missing Cobb for the last several seasons? What the hell? So he was out of action for a majority of this past season and that was enough to scare you guys? Need I remind you all that the previous season who our QB was the previous season? And the previous year where we ran the table, need I remind you that Jordy was still our number 1 if I recall, and Adams was starting to break out as the number 2 receiver? So naturally Cobb would get less touches. Who did Tate have to compete with again in Detroit that is better than Jordy and Adams? I'll wait.

Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Marvin Jones. They even had a heavily targeted TE in Ebron and a heavily targeted HB in Theo Rid****. Tate hasn't missed a beat up until a midseason trade to the Eagles.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison is light years from being a #2 on a contending team. He has never even had more then 30 catches in a season. If Allison is our #2 were not going anywhere.

With the Lewis signing I expect the Packers to grab an elite receiver early in the draft.

Metcalf would be a really interesting piece in our offense. It scares me that it ends up he is on roids and winds up being in and out with injuries and/or suspension but on the other side he could be outstanding. Unsure he is even there at #12 though as someone may spring for him before us.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Metcalf would be a really interesting piece in our offense. It scares me that it ends up he is on roids and winds up being in and out with injuries and/or suspension but on the other side he could be outstanding. Unsure he is even there at #12 though as someone may spring for him before us.

You might also explore Hakeem Butler and more importantly Parris Campbell who would start day 1 in the slot and help in return game.

Campbell is cut from the cloth to excell in a Lafleur schemed offense.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Marvin Jones. They even had a heavily targeted TE in Ebron and a heavily targeted HB in Theo Rid****. Tate hasn't missed a beat up until a midseason trade to the Eagles.
Calvin Johnson's last year was in 2015, and Cobb beat out Tate in regards to stats and the same in 2014, when Tate joined the Lions, I say he was better in 2014 b/c granted Tate had more yards he also had 99 Rec. to Cobb's 91, and there total yards were 1,331 yards to Cobb's 1,271 yards.

And by the time Boldin join he was only a legitimate threat in the red zone. Plus Cobb had a better overall season than Boldin that year. He wasn't the dynamo that he was when he was in San Francisco. Tate was clearly better at that point. Jordy and Adams were clearly better at this point.

Marvin Jones I'll give you that as he had two good seasons in 2016 and 2017, but factor in that the team was without Megatron going forward someone had to pick up the slack. But still Cobb's overall body of work is better career wise. But compared to Jordy and Adams, those two were hands down better. Plus in the 2017 season we had a sorry QB after Rodgers went down.

Ebron was not that good of a tight end, I know because Detroit fans were bashing all over the guy. Cobb is hands down better than Ebron. The only thing Ebron has is his height. What's amazing is that this past year with the Colts he had arguably his best season.

The only receiver I'll give you that were better than Jordy and Adams is Megatron. But by the time Adams started to come into his own Megatron was gone.

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might also explore Hakeem Butler and more importantly Parris Campbell who would start day 1 in the slot and help in return game.

Campbell is cut from the cloth to excell in a Lafleur schemed offense.

I haven't done a lot of tape watching this season but it is hard for me to get too excited about anyone beyond M Brown (the ridiculous speed and obvious ability) and Metcalf (freak athlete in comparison to C Johnson). I am sure there are some options out there though and likely guys you mention.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I haven't done a lot of tape watching this season but it is hard for me to get too excited about anyone beyond M Brown (the ridiculous speed and obvious ability) and Metcalf (freak athlete in comparison to C Johnson). I am sure there are some options out there though and likely guys you mention.

Pump the breaks on brown before you watch Campbell. Parris Campbell is TOTAL SPEED. Bigger too.

Brown is kinda small and has health concerns. I would stay away.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pump the breaks on brown before you watch Campbell. Parris Campbell is TOTAL SPEED. Bigger too.

Brown is kinda small and has health concerns. I would stay away.

Not too worried about Brown's health concerns. He should recover just fine by the time the season starts. Worries me that it took Campbell 4 seasons to really bust out in college but he does have great speed.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not too worried about Brown's health concerns. He should recover just fine by the time the season starts. Worries me that it took Campbell 4 seasons to really bust out in college but he does have great speed.

Well he was a converted RB and put up better numbers then most Ohio State great WR's last season. They finally opened up the offense last season wirh Haskins. Actually what you want to see is a guy getting better every year.. It shows they have a better chance to hit projection and Campbell is a projection prospect.

Brown is just too small for me. He isnt even 170 pounds. It's John Ross all over again.

Reaction score
I can't in any way see moving up barring some miraculous reason Bosa falls below 5. Edge is pretty deep otherwise if that was the direction they were looking at #12 (which I doubt will be so). So the only other players you are probably entertaining is Oliver (another somewhat deep position), Devin White/Bush (I believe one of them will be around at #12), or a shocking move up for Metcalf/Hockenson. I give moving up from #12 a 0% chance in this draft.
You’re also forgetting someone who has been slightly underestimated. Quinnen Williams. There have been more than a few mocks with him slipping to #5 or beyond. He is going to be absolutely disruptive right up the gut. Think of Big Mike in that Seattle game the other year, but on a regular basis. He will command double teams frequently. Having Quinnen, Clark and Wilkerson upfront would be absolutely a load to handle. Then blitzing the Smith Brothers in unison. It would get ugly fast for anything short of the best of the best O lines.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Right. They could have put in a second round tender on him at about $3 million if they wanted to effectively guarantee his return, which says something.

Fuller was different. He was transition tagged at $13 million by the Bears. Fuller was then free to shop his wares. If nobody offered Fuller a contract he would sign, he would have reverted to the Bears at that $13 mil for one year. If he agreed to a contract with somebody else, which he did, then the Bears had the right to match, which they did.

Same effect, higher stakes.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’re also forgetting someone who has been slightly underestimated. Quinnen Williams. There have been more than a few mocks with him slipping to #5 or beyond. He is going to be absolutely disruptive right up the gut. Think of Big Mike in that Seattle game the other year, but on a regular basis. He will command double teams frequently. Having Quinnen, Clark and Wilkerson upfront would be absolutely a load to handle. Then blitzing the Smith Brothers in unison. It would get ugly fast for anything short of the best of the best O lines. If Quinnen is there by some miracle anywhere past #5 range? we should consider shooting for a top 10 ranked D this year and part with #12 and #30.

I don't foresee Williams breaking 5 but I also don't think you mortgage the 2 first round picks to move up and get him either. At least not in our position. Defensive tackle is especially deep in this draft and barring Oliver at #12 there will be a few prospects there at #30 and #44 that will work nicely. That being said the Packers, among other teams, seem to have a fascination with obscure guys with wrestling backgrounds. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy in the mid rounds that ends up being a workhorse get a look from us.

Staff online

Latest posts