Fußball-Bundesliga

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
I wonder why they aren't trying to beef up the defense? I agree Costa will probably walk. That was a short stay. He showed flashes at times, but I guess they wanted more consistency. He probably wants to go somewhere that he can play more as well.

Beef up the defense? They brought in Sule, I don't see why we would really need any other defensive signings. Attack is the far more vulnerable side right now, with Robbery both 33+.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Beef up the defense? They brought in Sule, I don't see why we would really need any other defensive signings. Attack is the far more vulnerable side right now, with Robbery both 33+.

Because we have mid fielders out the ***** and our regular defenders seem to get hurt a lot. A little more balance is all I ask. If other teams attack Bayern, they know the back line is slow. You can see it almost every competitive match. Look how Real Madrid shredded that line. I'm looking for real beef with speed back there that can draw a line in the sand and show other teams, you shall not pass! :D

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Because we have mid fielders out the ***** and our regular defenders seem to get hurt a lot. A little more balance is all I ask. If other teams attack Bayern, they know the back line is slow. You can see it almost every competitive match. Look how Real Madrid shredded that line. I'm looking for real beef with speed back there that can draw a line in the sand and show other teams, you shall not pass! :D

Bayern allowed less goals than ANY team in the "Top 4" leagues. How much better do you need to get? The speed issue has been addressed by bringing in Sule, and Lahm has retired, with Kimmich back there also being a good degree quicker than he was.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
And I think saying Real shredded the back line is not really a fair response. That only happened after Bayern had been reduced to 10 men in both games. In that whole series Real scored only twice total when Bayern had 11 men. And that is to be expected.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Bayern allowed less goals than ANY team in the "Top 4" leagues. How much better do you need to get? The speed issue has been addressed by bringing in Sule, and Lahm has retired, with Kimmich back there also being a good degree quicker than he was.

Bayern doesn't play in a league with Barca and Real Madrid and Atletico. If they did, that statistic might change. We've seen consistently since Jupp Heynckes left that Bayern struggles in the finals of international play and it's almost always due to weak and slow defense. Beating up on teams in the Bundesliga is one thing. Beating up on teams in the CL should be the goal.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Bayern doesn't play in a league with Barca and Real Madrid and Atletico. If they did, that statistic might change. We've seen consistently since Jupp Heynckes left that Bayern struggles in the finals of international play and it's almost always due to weak and slow defense. Beating up on teams in the Bundesliga is one thing. Beating up on teams in the CL should be the goal.
This would seem to be a sitution for many teams around the leagues of europe, shooting fish in a barrel every season and winning their championships easily but finding it more difficult in the CL. The solution would be great, leave their countrys tired domesitc formats and form for example a 22 team winner takes all big club European League.

Dream on. ;)

Last edited:

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score

The Bundesliga has the highest goals per game ratio in the "big four" :rolleyes:.

Champions League Winners Real Madrid goal average, average goals allowed through the tourney: 2.77 / 1.38

Bayern Munich: 2.7 / 1.4

Last year they got bumped after allowing TWO goals in the semi-final tie. TWO.

You can grump all you want that Bayern's defense needs work, but the facts are on my side. :p

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
For the sake of argument, exactly who would you bring in that would improve the defense? Who starts over Hummels/Boa/Martinez? With Sule coming on board that's 4 CB's, which gives enough players to do a decent rotation. You've got Bernat and Alaba on the left, maybe someone better than Bernat but a player that good wouldn't want to be 2nd to Alaba (who is definitely not being replaced). You can make an argument that RB is weak, but from my searches there just aren't a lot of GREAT rb's out there.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
For the sake of argument, exactly who would you bring in that would improve the defense? Who starts over Hummels/Boa/Martinez? With Sule coming on board that's 4 CB's, which gives enough players to do a decent rotation. You've got Bernat and Alaba on the left, maybe someone better than Bernat but a player that good wouldn't want to be 2nd to Alaba (who is definitely not being replaced). You can make an argument that RB is weak, but from my searches there just aren't a lot of GREAT rb's out there.

Both Boateng and Martinez are unreliable even though they are great when they are on their game. Boateng regularly gets beat. I like Martinez but he has a habit of not being 100 per cent in matches. I'm not sure who to bring in out of who is available because I'm not as familiar with defenders around the world, honestly.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Both Boateng and Martinez are unreliable even though they are great when they are on their game. Boateng regularly gets beat. I like Martinez but he has a habit of not being 100 per cent in matches. I'm not sure who to bring in out of who is available because I'm not as familiar with defenders around the world, honestly.

Lol, fourfourtwo had Boateng as the best defender in the world in 2016. So did Bleacher Report. The Telegraph had him at #7. He is 1 year removed from being selected as Player of the Year in Germany. He had a bad year with injuries, but I wouldn't write him off after one year. According to Opta he's also faster than Hummels.

Never forget...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with a healthy Boateng, Hummels and Süle they have arguably the best set of centrebacks in the league.
But they definitely need to sign new full-backs. Besides Alaba they lack quality on this position, alternatives to Bernat and Rafinha are definitely needed.
But of course you're right, they also have to look for future replacements of Robbery, both injury prone and not getting younger. I could help if Ancelotti finally gives Muller more playing time, I still don't get what he has against him.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
I think with a healthy Boateng, Hummels and Süle they have arguably the best set of centrebacks in the league.
But they definitely need to sign new full-backs. Besides Alaba they lack quality on this position, alternatives to Bernat and Rafinha are definitely needed.
But of course you're right, they also have to look for future replacements of Robbery, both injury prone and not getting younger. I could help if Ancelotti finally gives Muller more playing time, I still don't get what he has against him.

Yeah Muller should be starting pretty much every game. Lewy thrives when Muller is on the pitch, and things just sort of "happen" lol.

Kimmich has been confirmed as the RB for next season, and he does have a ton of potential, but it's far too early to call him a "great" RB, but there is no way anyone else plays in front of him right now or else he is going to walk. Behind him, yeah Raf is good-not-great IMO, and behind Alaba is the same.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Yeah Muller should be starting pretty much every game. Lewy thrives when Muller is on the pitch, and things just sort of "happen" lol.

Kimmich has been confirmed as the RB for next season, and he does have a ton of potential, but it's far too early to call him a "great" RB, but there is no way anyone else plays in front of him right now or else he is going to walk. Behind him, yeah Raf is good-not-great IMO, and behind Alaba is the same.

I think they should get Ramos....;)

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and Boateng? Can't have this if you want to win the CL. :sneaky: (I know, I know it's Messi. But you have to be able to defend him, Ronaldo and Bale if you want to win the CL.)
https://streamable.com/ocei

Guess we should start looking for a replacement for Neuer as well, gotta be able to block shots from Messi, Ronaldo and Bale if you wanna win the CL.:p

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
I feel like there was one other time that Boateng (and Hummels) played against Messi, but I can't seem to remember what happened....

oh wait...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

:D:D:D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Guess we should start looking for a replacement for Neuer as well, gotta be able to block shots from Messi, Ronaldo and Bale if you wanna win the CL.:p

All I know is that the top teams in the CL are running past our defense with great regularity. There has to be a reason. From watching the matches, Boateng doesn't have the speed to get back fast enough when these guys sprint by. In fact several of our defenders get regularly burnt by the speed of the Spanish teams. When Jupp was coach, the team won the CL by having what was termed a "stifling" defense. Javi was part of that defense, but he was in better physical condition then. Bayern will not win the CL again until they can "stifle" teams like Real, Atletico and Barca. Jupp's team was able to do that even against Messi and Ronaldo.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Here's something funny. In this forum thread, on Oct 28th, 2012 I was complaining about Boateng being too slow and getting beaten by opponents. :roflmao::roflmao: Back then we had Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Martinez, Van Buyten, Alaba and Badstuber. Dante, Rafhina and Boateng were relative newcomers. :eek: It might have been Jupp's tendency to use a lot of the midfielders on defense as well, that made me more comfortable. That team was just plain powerful.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
All I know is that the top teams in the CL are running past our defense with great regularity. There has to be a reason. From watching the matches, Boateng doesn't have the speed to get back fast enough when these guys sprint by. In fact several of our defenders get regularly burnt by the speed of the Spanish teams. When Jupp was coach, the team won the CL by having what was termed a "stifling" defense. Javi was part of that defense, but he was in better physical condition then. Bayern will not win the CL again until they can "stifle" teams like Real, Atletico and Barca. Jupp's team was able to do that even against Messi and Ronaldo.

You are saying these things, but the statistics show what you are saying simply isn't true. Bayern had one of the best goal ratios in the tourney this year, and that includes two games where they were on 10 men. They had almost an identical ratio to the champions, so your assertion that they are being regularly run by is simply false, unless you believe the same about every other team in the tourney.

Stop reading English sports commentaries.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You are saying these things, but the statistics show what you are saying simply isn't true. Bayern had one of the best goal ratios in the tourney this year, and that includes two games where they were on 10 men. They had almost an identical ratio to the champions, so your assertion that they are being regularly run by is simply false, unless you believe the same about every other team in the tourney.

Stop reading English sports commentaries.

The main statistic that is important is W-L. Am I wrong for expecting this Bayern team to fare better in CL matches? Obviously they are struggling the past few years in that area. It seems like they can handle the underlings but when they get up to the Big 3 or 4, they *get* handled. Just sayin'.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
And what's wrong with the English papers? Everybody can see the Brits know everything about football. Just look, their U-20s are doing so well. :whistling:

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
The main statistic that is important is W-L. Am I wrong for expecting this Bayern team to fare better in CL matches? Obviously they are struggling the past few years in that area. It seems like they can handle the underlings but when they get up to the Big 3 or 4, they *get* handled. Just sayin'.

I think your expectations are too high. You should expect the team to be competitive every year, and they are. They've been in the Semi's many times recently, and won the entire thing just a few years ago. If your expectation is anything more than that it is unreasonable IMO, because that is the nature of sport. Almost every time they have lost recently it has been to the eventual Champion, so that should be respected as well. You can't win every year.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I was just looking up the Summer transfers so far; It looks like Red Bull is active, and a couple others, but there doesn't seem to be much going on. How about Hamburg, Mainz, and Koeln? You guys got any info?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts