Free Agents you would like to see sign with Green Bay in 2019?

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll pass on James, why don't we just resign Richard Rodgers ? He's got better hands haha. I think the packers would be better off taking a similar approach to te as they did with wr last year in the draft. Take at least 2 of them it's a deep group of players at the position this year. Maybe you take a shot early on a Irv Smith, tj hockenson, or Albert okwuegbunam. And then go back to the well in the 5th round or so and grab another guy you like

I'm hesitant on drafting two Tight Ends. It typically takes a while for rookie TEs to adapt to the NFL game. Bridging a rookie selection with a solid veteran TE seems like a good play.

Reaction score
I’d like to see us lock 3 of these 4 positions before the draft with premier veteran talent.
OG or OT (draft a second AND third pick between Rounds 1-5)
OLB
Safety
WR (a true #1 to compliment Adams)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I’d like to see us lock 3 of these 4 positions before the draft with premier veteran talent.
OLB
Safety

The Packers don't have enough cap space to sign three elite free agents at those positions.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could see us get into 3 of those positions... OG usually isn't too bad price wise (We won't sign a starting RT... much too expensive to sign a FA OT), Edge rusher like Dante Fowler, Shane Ray, Barr, Flowers, and few others could be brought in, and there are a few safeties out there like Thomas, Honey Badger, and Collins. We could bring some competition in at the #2 WR position, but Allison, ESB, MVS, and hopefully a high draft pick on someone like AJ Brown, Harry, or Marquise Brown to compete for those top 3 WR spots.

D

Deleted member 6794

You could see us get into 3 of those positions... OG usually isn't too bad price wise (We won't sign a starting RT... much too expensive to sign a FA OT), Edge rusher like Dante Fowler, Shane Ray, Barr, Flowers, and few others could be brought in, and there are a few safeties out there like Thomas, Honey Badger, and Collins. We could bring some competition in at the #2 WR position, but Allison, ESB, MVS, and hopefully a high draft pick on someone like AJ Brown, Harry, or Marquise Brown to compete for those top 3 WR spots.

The Packers could definitely sign an offensive lineman, edge rusher and safety in free agency but they don't have the cap space to sign an elite one at every of those positions.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Janis available? Maybe without McCarthy's strategy. Janis would do well? Run Janis Run!!! He's not a smart man, but he knows what a post pattern is. Offense is like a box of chocolates. This idea just jumped up and bit me. :)

But seriously. Our wr corps needs another veteran to replace Cobb. Cheaper veteran who was once good. But only needs to ne good once in a while.
I see Jimmy Graham starting to come around the last couple games. I think he will become what we had hoped, by the end of next year... Along with young wrs climbing the ladder. We would be back to stacked...

I loved the addition of mercedes Lewis. I can't understand why we Havnt used him. Our lack of production from these two TEs is probabally a lot to do with McCarthys release.

I'd like to see a veteran olb added to replace Mathews. Or mathews resigned for 5-7m would be ok too. I don't think we need two stud olbs. But at least two good ones. The young guys are serviceable, and should be able to keep the position stable. Perry gives us the potential of a double digit sack guy. But I feel a free agent would be wise. Rather than more rookies. Olb doesn't have to be a strength, as long as they aren't a weakness.

All positions can be considered for a day three pick or veteran insurance policy, if the right player makes themself available. But I personally don't see many glaring needs... Besides...

If Gute doesn't invest in both d line and oline heavily. I will be a critic. These have been our weakness for a decade. Since zone blocking, and the 3-4 came to town. We have come a long way since daryn college and Raji island. And the investment of Clark a couple years ago, and big mo wilkerson picked up. I can see the trend is changing already... But don't stop short!!! Over compensate imo. Stack the dline with Daniels\Clark/ Mo type players, and we will win. That's a fact jack.

And online...... I think the first MVP by Rodgers would have marked the start of the building of the greatest online ever built. (If I was gm) You find the hope diamond. Next thing you do is build a fortress to protect it. Am I right? Now at 34/35 years old, we have a patch work online every year. And #12 has been injured each of the last what??? 4 years?????!!!!! Never would have happened if I had anything to say about it. Oline would get a day one or two pick every year. Or 3x 4th rounders... Every year. Depth is important too if you want to do a job right. And build a team around an idea. #12 is the idea. And dline so big/strong/fast. You can't stop them.... And let the LBs and secondary run free to do the big plays.

Anyone know if mo Wilkerson recovery went well? Big guy like that might just call it a career. Heard he almost lost his leg... Blood supply I supose. Didn't sound good. We need his replacement if his leg didn't heal well enough. He was the difference maker. Losing him was devestating for me.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see Jimmy Graham starting to come around the last couple games. I think he will become what we had hoped, by the end of next year... Along with young wrs climbing the ladder. We would be back to stacked...

I loved the addition of mercedes Lewis. I can't understand why we Havnt used him. Our lack of production from these two TEs is probabally a lot to do with McCarthys release.

Graham not performing up to expectations and Lewis struggling to even get on the field wasn't a factor in McCarthy being fired.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Example of a good way? :)

I figured someone would say something like that;) If something that is sick can be good scary can be good too but I was referring to more like "that group of WRs really scares the defenses that have to face them." Having a WRgroup like that would be good scary.

Reaction score
The Packers don't have enough cap space to sign three elite free agents at those positions.
We will once we review Cobb, Perry and Mathews contracts and either restructure or part ways Add that to the 30+ Million in cap space and we’ll be fine.
Much will depend on how we spread the contract.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We will once we review Cobb, Perry and Mathews contracts and either restructure or part ways Add that to the 30+ Million in cap space and we’ll be fine.
No Cobb or Matthews is already included in that $30+ million cap space. If we restructure (extend) either, it cuts into that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No restructuring of Cobb and Matthews, their contracts are done.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why would we let Clay walk?

Matthews isn't an impact player anymore. It might be smart to bring him back for a reasonable deal but there's no way the Packers should think about offering him a contract close to what has been suggested in here.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLB
Safety

How is Adams not a true number 1 ? He clearly is, I'm not sure what you mean by this?

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to sign a veteran receiver as well but think the team should add a younger one than Jackson.

I wouldn't mind the Packers re-signing Cobb to a reasonable deal but they better have a backup plan in place for him as he can't stay healthy.

I agree there. Who would take Cobb's place in the slot if he leaves? Sign him to a reasonable deal, otherwise the Packers will have to draft a top WR with an early pick which they really need elsewhere. Like OL, Edge, Safety, TE. Speaking of OL, I mentioned Chance Warmak and most on here were pretty ho-hum about him. He may not be a pro-bowler, but wouldn't he be an upgrade over McCray and Byron Bell?

D

Deleted member 6794

I mentioned Chance Warmak and most on here were pretty ho-hum about him. He may not be a pro-bowler, but wouldn't he be an upgrade over McCray and Byron Bell?

Warmack hasn't lived up to expectations in the NFL by any means and only played a total of two snaps on offense for the Eagles this season. I don't consider him a much needed upgrade at guard.

Packfan123451

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only chance Matthews resigns would be in the scenario that he shops around, realizes he wont get the cash he thinks he's worth and then decides to come back at a discount and play ILB.

It hurts to even type this because he's been such a good packer but to get the cap space needed, I would probably let Mason go if they could get Josh Lambo, FA from Jacksonville.

D

Deleted member 6794

Only chance Matthews resigns would be in the scenario that he shops around, realizes he wont get the cash he thinks he's worth and then decides to come back at a discount and play ILB.

It hurts to even type this because he's been such a good packer but to get the cap space needed, I would probably let Mason go if they could get Josh Lambo, FA from Jacksonville.

Please, could we stop acting as if Matthews has been more than an average inside linebacker at best more than three years ago???

In addition Crosby hasn't even been an average kicker. The Packers should definitely replace him with a rookie on a cheap deal though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Packfan123451

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please, could we stop acting as if Matthews has been an average inside linebacker at best more than three years ago???

In addition Crosby hasn't even been an average kicker. The Packers should definitely replace him with a rookie on a cheap deal though.

Apologies, I should have clarified... I don't want them to sign Matthews, he embarrasses himself trying to tackle in the open field. I just could see it happening. If he comes to the Packers willing to take a steep discount and they can sign him and keep selling the jerseys, they would. They shouldn't but they would.

D

Deleted member 6794

Apologies, I should have clarified... I don't want them to sign Matthews, he embarrasses himself trying to tackle in the open field. I just could see it happening. If he comes to the Packers willing to take a steep discount and they can sign him and keep selling the jerseys, they would. They shouldn't but they would.

I hope the Packers are finally done re-signing veterans who haven't performed up to expectations. I would be fine with bringing Matthews back on a reasonable deal to be part of a rotation at edge rusher but they should definitely not overpay to retain his services or think about moving him inside permantely.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews isn't an impact player anymore. It might be smart to bring him back for a reasonable deal but there's no way the Packers should think about offering him a contract close to what has been suggested in here.
You think the 5-7 m is too much? Or you referring to others guess on Mathews value?

Me personally. I'm not a buyer at 12-14m like he has been making the last half decade.... But you cut that in half, and all of a sudden I start picking out the Pluses rather than minuses... I bet a dozen teams would be in line at 5m. He would have to choose to stay here.

D

Deleted member 6794

You think the 5-7 m is too much? Or you referring to others guess on Mathews value?

Me personally. I'm not a buyer at 12-14m like he has been making the last half decade.... But you cut that in half, and all of a sudden I start picking out the Pluses rather than minuses... I bet a dozen teams would be in line at 5m. He would have to choose to stay here.

I don't want the Packers to offer Matthews $5 million a season. If another team offers that kind of money I'm definitely OK with him moving on.

Members online

No members online now.