Free Agents you would like to see sign with Green Bay in 2019?

D

Deleted member 6794

The standard response on this board. Vet minimum on a prove it deal? :D
I'd make a serious run at him, signing for a cap hit this season and a low budget with a roster bonus type deal next few years. 3 years $15m, $5m SB with vet minimum this (2018) season and another $5m roster bonus day 3 of league year 2020. Signing him this season yet kind of prepays /guarantees him some of next seasons pay.

Swearinger is under contract through next season with a $4.5 million cap hit for a team claiming him off waivers.

Realistically I'd say we'd probably maybe get 1 or maybe 2 FAs at most.

I expect the Packers to be more active in free agency.

Green Bay needs a a legitimate TE than can challenge the field vertically and has a good injury history. I like Demetrius Harris from Kansas City, but I think Jesse James might be a great fit. He should come more affordable and would be a solid TE1 either replacing Jimmy Graham or complementing him in the event Green Bay doubles down on this bust of a signing.

The Packers might be able to use the cap space saved by releasing Graham to sign James but I highly doubt he would present an upgrade.

The Packers while they have many needs realistically it would be foolish for them to go out and grab all these FAs like The Rams did. Us losing on that Khalil Mack trade I will have a hard time letting go of because that was someone who would've changed EVERYTHING for the defense. If we got him we'd be in the playoffs, and dare I say win the SB within the next 2-3 years. Yes we have two draft picks, but a guy like Mack WARRANTS us giving those up and then some.

The Packers don't need to sign any of the elite free agents to huge contracts to improve the team but ve smart about adding veterans that present an upgrade.

It has been discussed at length that it would have been a mistake to acquire Mack based on draft capital and cap space it would have cost.

Guys a thought just came to mind. What do you think it would take for Denver to give up Von Miller? I'm sure if we gave them our first two draft picks and some other stuff they'd listen.

There's no reason to believe the Broncos are interested in trading Miller. In addition the Packers would find themselves in a similar spot as with Mack.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So you think this wouldn't work?
If it went down, I'd wonder what he has done to entice Denver to eat $19m in dead cap with "only" a $5+m cap relief. That is a one trick pony OLB hit. They aren't in blow up the roster mode, are they?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Swearinger is under contract through next season with a $4.5 million cap hit for a team claiming him off waivers.
I'm not sure of all the ramifications of picking him up off waivers, but if his current contract carries with him, then that might be cheaper than waiting for him to become a Free Agent? Just spit balling here.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't need to sign any of the elite free agents to huge contracts to improve the team but ve smart about adding veterans that present an upgrade.

It has been discussed at length that it would have been a mistake to acquire Mack based on draft capital and cap space it would have cost.

See I disagree with that. Mack is a transcendent player that could change the culture for a defensive team. Look what he's done with Chicago. Players like him a generational. The veteran upgrades we could've gotten some plugins as we work on draft and developing over the years.

And considering future defensive players will be asking what Mack and Donald has made, Mack would've been relatively cheap in comparison to future contracts. Mack would've effected EVERYTHING on the defensive side. That's how much of a presence he would've made. Plus the pass rush would've forced QB's to get rid of the ball faster.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I love Mack, wanted him, and have no idea if passing will prove to be the right decision in the long run But I can't understand calling him "generational" when you have guys like Von Miller, J.J. Watt, and Aaron Donald playing at the same time as he is.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer to see the Packers sign Chance Warmak. Get a real, solid guard and then draft a RT in the early rounds as Bulaga's replacement. Keep Bulaga another season while the rookie RT gets worked in.

I haven't seen much tape on Warmak, but he has to be better than Bell, McCray or Patrick. Let's stop the revolving door at RG and nail the position down.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would prefer to see the Packers sign Chance Warmak. Get a real, solid guard and then draft a RT in the early rounds as Bulaga's replacement. Keep Bulaga another season while the rookie RT gets worked in.

I haven't seen much tape on Warmak, but he has to be better than Bell, McCray or Patrick. Let's stop the revolving door at RG and nail the position down.

I will be honest, never heard of Chance Warmak, so I looked him up. I found this very interesting, I wonder if I can get one of those policies on what I expect the Packer season to be and collect if it isn't. :)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...1st-nfler-collect-loss-value-insurance-policy

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Warmack wouldn't seem to be much of an improvement over McCray/Bell. Better, probably, but not by a significant amount.

Merry Christmas!!!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Mack, wanted him, and have no idea if passing will prove to be the right decision in the long run But I can't understand calling him "generational" when you have guys like Von Miller, J.J. Watt, and Aaron Donald playing at the same time as he is.

I'd say there can be more than one generational talent playing at the same time. Just like there could be 0 generational players at any given time. To me it just means a player who comes around very rarely.
Also I don't think the Packers passed on Mack I thought they had the same or a similar offer on the table but the raiders took the bears offer because they thought the picks would be better. And there's no way to know if they were right because had Mack been a packer, the Packers may not of lost a game this season who knows.
More importantly what do you think about signing jadaveon clowney to a contract worth just slightly less than Khalil mack got from the bears. Let's say around 20 m per?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd say there can be more than one generational talent playing at the same time. Just like there could be 0 generational players at any given time. To me it just means a player who comes around very rarely.
Also I don't think the Packers passed on Mack I thought they had the same or a similar offer on the table but the raiders took the bears offer because they thought the picks would be better. And there's no way to know if they were right because had Mack been a packer, the Packers may not of lost a game this season who knows.
More importantly what do you think about signing jadaveon clowney to a contract worth just slightly less than Khalil mack got from the bears. Let's say around 20 m per?

Semantics then.

I meant the Packers passed in that they didn't up the offer to the point that theirs would trump Chicago's.

I am leery of signing Clowney. He's great, but he's been injured a whole lot. I worry about giving huge money to a guy who has played through injury to get to this point. If he quits playing or quits playing hard through various issues, the contract could be an albatross. He sort of reminds me of a rich man's Nick Perry.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Semantics then.

I meant the Packers passed in that they didn't up the offer to the point that theirs would trump Chicago's.

I am leery of signing Clowney. He's great, but he's been injured a whole lot. I worry about giving huge money to a guy who has played through injury to get to this point. If he quits playing or quits playing hard through various issues, the contract could be an albatross. He sort of reminds me of a rich man's Nick Perry.

Yeah I just saw a quote from him that he stated Mack and Donald's contracts have served as extra motivation for him in a contract year and it made me think hmm is this guy gonna stop playing after he gets 60 million guranteed?

H

HardRightEdge

If it went down, I'd wonder what he has done to entice Denver to eat $19m in dead cap with "only" a $5+m cap relief. That is a one trick pony OLB hit. They aren't in blow up the roster mode, are they?
$5 mil cap saving in 2019 and draft picks and $18 mil in cap savings in 2020 and Miller will be 31 in 2020 and Keenam's contract runs through 2019 and the timing is right to use one of those picks (or a package of picks to move up) for their QB of the future. In a 2 year time frame it makes sense.

And in a 2 year time frame it makes little sense for the Packers to surrender those picks while absorbing $35 mil in cap cost over the next 2 year. It's not like the Packers are one player away from serious contention while giving up valuable picks. It's not like he's going to be a free agent costing maybe a 3rd. round comp pick.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$5 mil cap saving in 2019 and draft picks and $18 mil in cap savings in 2020 and Miller will be 31 in 2020 and Keenam's contract runs through 2019 and the timing is right to use one of those picks (or a package of picks to move up) for their QB of the future. In a 2 year time frame it makes sense.

And in a 2 year time frame it makes little sense for the Packers to surrender those picks while absorbing $35 mil in cap cost over the next 2 year. It's not like the Packers are one player away from serious contention while giving up valuable picks. It's not like he's going to be a free agent costing maybe a 3rd. round comp pick.

Von Miller has 14.5 sacks this year what picks are you talking about giving up ? Because I think that's a no brainer. He's got 98 sacks in 119 not counting playoffs. He has another 6.5 sacks in 7 playoff games. You definitely give up a first round pick for this dude. And I don't think too much more considering what the bears gave up for Mack. A 1st and a 6th in 2019. A 1st and a 3rd in 2020 while giving a 2nd to the bears in 2020 along with a conditional 5th. Mack is the younger player so what would Miller fetch? I'd say a 1st and a 5th in 2019 and a 2nd in 2020 could get it done. But I have no idea if that's even an option cuz they'd be fools to trade him

H

HardRightEdge

Von Miller has 14.5 sacks this year what picks are you talking about giving up ? Because I think that's a no brainer. He's got 98 sacks in 119 not counting playoffs. He has another 6.5 sacks in 7 playoff games. You definitely give up a first round pick for this dude. And I don't think too much more considering what the bears gave up for Mack. A 1st and a 6th in 2019. A 1st and a 3rd in 2020 while giving a 2nd to the bears in 2020 along with a conditional 5th. Mack is the younger player so what would Miller fetch? I'd say a 1st and a 5th in 2019 and a 2nd in 2020 could get it done. But I have no idea if that's even an option cuz they'd be fools to trade him
I have no idea what Denver would be asking, but it would certainly include at least one 1st rounder and additional considerations. Would Denver be foolish? I illustrated why that might not be the case. They've gone 9-7, 5-11 and 6-9 the last 3 seasons. He alone would not turn this Packer team into a leading Super Bowl contender just as Mack would not. The cap cost and the draft picks are a prohibitive price to pay as was the case with Mack at a somewhat smaller scale.

D

Deleted member 6794

See I disagree with that. Mack is a transcendent player that could change the culture for a defensive team. Look what he's done with Chicago. Players like him a generational. The veteran upgrades we could've gotten some plugins as we work on draft and developing over the years.

And considering future defensive players will be asking what Mack and Donald has made, Mack would've been relatively cheap in comparison to future contracts. Mack would've effected EVERYTHING on the defensive side. That's how much of a presence he would've made. Plus the pass rush would've forced QB's to get rid of the ball faster.

Mack would have definitely improved the Packers defense but in my opinion the cost to acquire and pay him would have been too steep, especially considering the team already features the highest paid player in the league.

I wouldn't feel comfortable about the Packers offering Clowney that kind of money. As a side note he has only missed a total of six games over the past four seasons.

I consider talking about Miller a moot point as in my opinion there's no way the Broncos are interested in trading him.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since this thread has hit the smoke induced dream state, would BB be willing to move on from a 30yo oft injured Gronk?

It's funny you mention that, because I believe Bleacher Report suggested with Josh McDaniels possibly being the new HC he bring Gronk and it would be a duo of him and Graham which sounds good on the surface but two broken down TE's wouldn't be my first choice but it should would make that defense quiver.

H

HardRightEdge

It's funny you mention that, because I believe Bleacher Report suggested with Josh McDaniels possibly being the new HC he bring Gronk and it would be a duo of him and Graham which sounds good on the surface but two broken down TE's wouldn't be my first choice but it should would make that defense quiver.
That does not sound good to me at all.

Green Bowl Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe DeSean Jackson (Cal Berkley connection with Rodgers) for a 1 year deal.

Haven't seen Jackson's name brought up other than here. We can't be the only two who think he would be a huge upgrade over Cobb. He wants out of Tampa and I still believe he has the ability to stretch the field with his speed, even if it is not what it was. After a season like he had, I would like to think he would see the value in playing for a real QB and how much can he really command after this last campaign. Is it not a good fit or why is his name not being tossed around? Too many other pressing needs? I say bring him in, kick the tires and see if there is still that Cal connection (Aaron got him to come to Cal)!

Last edited:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should go hard at dee ford. I’d rather have him than clowney

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's highly unlikely that Ford ever makes it to free agency. He's a key defender for them and they have plenty of space.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt KC let’s him go anywhere, but between Ford and Clowney, I’d take Ford every time.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tyrann Mathieu
Adam Humphries / Jamison Crowder
Preston/ Za’darius Smith
Rodger Saffold
CJ Mosley

Last edited: