3 Free Agent signings Gute MUST Make

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will have a ton of cap space this off season to be a player in the free agent freenzy. It seems they finally have a GM who is willing to get involved and spend some money to improve the roster. With these 3 signings I think this roster would go from a C minus...to at least a B+ which is a major leap.

S Tyrann Mathieu: age 27

Safety is the BIGGEST weakness on the entire defense. Mathieu would be an immediate upgrade to a position that hasn’t had a steady play maker since Nick Collins was roaming around back there several yrs ago. I chose Mathieu over Landon Collins because of his versatility... he’s also able to play as a slot corner on some passing downs and most importantly his price tag will
Be about 3-4 million cheaper than what Collins will garner leaving the Packers more dollars to make another splash signing. Can you imagine the Honey Badger chants in Wisconsin?!!

Golden Tate WR age 31

DURABLE, tough, crafty, chain moving reliable target to take pressure off Adams.
I hated this guy when he played for Seattle and Detroit because he would always seem
To have a good games against us. He’s as good as they come in picking up those YAC yards, and he’s able to uncover when things break down. I still think the Packers should draft an absolute burner...but Tate should come cheap and he’s a savvy vet who can play in the slot.

Demarcus Lawrence OLB age 27

I know the Cowboys franchised him last season because he had some off field issues which doesn’t concern me as much when you’re in Green Bay. But the more I watch this guy the more I like him even tho he plays for the Cowpies who I absolutely despise. Dude can ball ...he’s a 4-3 OLB but he’s plenty good enough to play in the 3-4 scheme. He gets after the QB consistently and he’s athletic enough to play in space while being very good against the run.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
S Tyrann Mathieu: age 27

Safety is the BIGGEST weakness on the entire defense. Mathieu would be an immediate upgrade to a position that hasn’t had a steady play maker since Nick Collins was roaming around back there several yrs ago. I chose Mathieu over Landon Collins because of his versatility... he’s also able to play as a slot corner on some passing downs and most importantly his price tag will
Be about 3-4 million cheaper than what Collins will garner leaving the Packers more dollars to make another splash signing. Can you imagine the Honey Badger chants in Wisconsin?!!

This is the main one I want this off season. I'd be so pumped to have him here.

Edit: Get Tramon to recruit him. They were teammates before, so he could give him some of the cheese kool-aid!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) DLaw isn't a 4-3 OLB. He's an edge. A very good and expensive one. I'd do it.

2) Think I would prefer Earl Thomas. My preference ranking is Thomas, Collins, Matthieu/Tre Boston. Still mad we didn't sign Boston last year.

3) I like Tate, just depends on the money. Wouldn't spend a lot on him.

4) What OL are out there that are affordable? We need a LG and RT.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think it makes sense to sign a slot receiver who can win in the short game, but I'd prefer Adam Humphries. I don't think it makes sense to spend significant WR dollars on a 31 year old wide receiver.

Demarcus Lawrence has become a great edge rusher, but I highly doubt he gets out of Dallas to the free agent market. The Cowboys are slated to have ~50M in space this coming offseason. They aren't letting a home grown blue chipper leave.

I agree that safety is a huge need for the offseason. My preferred target is Adrian Amos of the Bears. He has more of a FS skillset than Mathieu, plus he's younger and more durable.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*** do we know that Mathieu will be considerably cheaper than Collins / Thomas? I'd assume they would all have a similar price tag. If so, because of the reasons you stated and the fact that Thomas is getting up there in age, I'd also prefer Mathieu. Amos I don't know too well, what would he command on the FA market?

Lawrence isnt going anywhere and Tate; meh. I'd rather fix the slot through the draft.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it makes sense to sign a slot receiver who can win in the short game, but I'd prefer Adam Humphries. I don't think it makes sense to spend significant WR dollars on a 31 year old wide receiver.

Demarcus Lawrence has become a great edge rusher, but I highly doubt he gets out of Dallas to the free agent market. The Cowboys are slated to have ~50M in space this coming offseason. They aren't letting a home grown blue chipper leave.

I agree that safety is a huge need for the offseason. My preferred target is Adrian Amos of the Bears. He has more of a FS skillset than Mathieu, plus he's younger and more durable.

I thought Amos played more of a strong safety role in Chicago? Could be wrong, since I don't pay that much attention, but I always thought Eddie Jackson was their better cover safety.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I thought Amos played more of a strong safety role in Chicago? Could be wrong, since I don't pay that much attention, but I always thought Eddie Jackson was their better cover safety.

Amos played more FS early and has played more SS lately (since Jackson's emergence). He's capable of both.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Agree on Lawrence, sign him, great!

Honey Badger, depends on if new HC Jim Harbaugh likes him...if so, go get him.

Disagree on Tate. I'd get him if he were 3 years younger, but, not now. The second 1st round pick is a good spot for a WR...finally a 1st round WR for Rodgers.

Rather than Tate, I want a RT or RG in FA to run Jim Harbaugh's pulls and sweeps for the new power running game. Then I draft a couple more OL in rounds 2-4.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even after his last two injuries and his age? Not sure he'd be worth what he's going to command.
Both freak injuries. He's a leader and was the nucleus of an all time defense.

I think he makes this defense jump into actually being legit.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both freak injuries. He's a leader and was the nucleus of an all time defense.

I think he makes this defense jump into actually being legit.
they were freak injuries... but has he fully recovered would be my question.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they were freak injuries... but has he fully recovered would be my question.

Yeah I'd rather sign someone younger to a longer contract where you don't have to worry about two broken leg injuries...at least until the Packers S/C team gets their hands on him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
These are the free agents that I think are most interesting for the Packers of the guys who I think will actually make it to the open market:
  • Adam Humphries, WR, Bucs, 26: I agree with the premise of the OP that this offense needs (and lacks) a slot receiver who gets open early in the down, can win in the short game, and can pick up YAC. That's Humphries' game, he's done it consistently in Tampa Bay, he's young, and I doubt he would cost all that much (maybe ~6M?).
  • Jesse James, TE, Steelers, 25: The Packers really need a good blocking TE who still has enough movement skills to get onto the field. Lewis seemed like he would be that guy, but age would seem to have caught up to him to the point that he doesn't threaten at all in the passing game.
  • Ja'Wuan James, OT, Dolphins, 27: Everyone knew that the Dolphins reached when they drafted James 19th overall in 2014, and he predictably struggled to start his career. But over time, he's developed into a solid pass protecting RT. If GB cuts Bulaga, James would represent an immediate replacement.
  • Preston Smith, ED, Redskins, 26: The sacks haven't been as easy to come by for Smith this year, but he's a solid, well-rounded 3-4 rush linebacker who would be better than the current iterations of Matthews and Perry immediately.
  • Anthony Barr, ED?, Vikings, 27: This might wind up being a stupid idea, but Barr intrigues me as an edge in a Mike Pettine defense. Pettine will use his OLB's as drop/blitz chess pieces more often than your traditional DC who uses them more purely as edge rushers. Barr was an edge in college and has far more skill as a stand up linebacker than your typical 34OLB.
  • Adrian Amos, S, Bears, 26: Amos is young, versatile, skilled, experience, and productive. He'd be a stellar FA pick up to address a really weak position.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
  • Anthony Barr, ED?, Vikings, 27: This might wind up being a stupid idea, but Barr intrigues me as an edge in a Mike Pettine defense. Pettine will use his OLB's as drop/blitz chess pieces more often than your traditional DC who uses them more purely as edge rushers. Barr was an edge in college and has far more skill as a stand up linebacker than your typical 34OLB.

Can't help but wonder how this would go over with Rodgers, teammates and fans. But some good names on your lists. I really think Gute is going to need to hit on an Edge and S free agent. The need for 1-2 at each position is glaring and I just would not want to go into the draft without addressing them in Free Agency.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as long as he doens't hit him in practice, I have thought about him coming here. I think he's a good fit for what Pettine does on defense. Again assuming Pettine is back, which I think he should be.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't help but wonder how this would go over with Rodgers, teammates and fans. But some good names on your lists. I really think Gute is going to need to hit on an Edge and S free agent. The need for 1-2 at each position is glaring and I just would not want to go into the draft without addressing them in Free Agency.

If Rodgers can't handle that, then he needs to grow up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

If Rodgers pitched a fit over them signing Barr because Rodgers got hurt via a legal hit, then the Packers can find a new quarterback.

I don't think he would, but that kind of prima donna B.S. has no place.

All of the edge FA's worth mentioning: Demarcus Lawrence, Frank Clark, Jadeveon Clowney, Dee Ford, Trey Flowers, Preston Smith, Brandon Graham, Anthony Barr, Dante Fowler, Za'Darius Smith, Ezekiel Ansah, Shaquil Barrett, Shane Ray

All of the safety FA's worth mentioning: Landon Collins, Earl Thomas, Adrian Amos, Tyrann Mathieu, Lamarcus Joyner, Haha Clinton-Dix (lol), Adrian Phillips, Tre Boston

Now we'll see who actually makes it to the open market.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trey Flowers, Donte Fowler JR and Amos are the guys I think should be targeted

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers pitched a fit over them signing Barr because Rodgers got hurt via a legal hit, then the Packers can find a new quarterback.

I don't think he would, but that kind of prima donna B.S. has no place.

All of the edge FA's worth mentioning: Demarcus Lawrence, Frank Clark, Jadeveon Clowney, Dee Ford, Trey Flowers, Preston Smith, Brandon Graham, Anthony Barr, Dante Fowler, Za'Darius Smith, Ezekiel Ansah, Shaquil Barrett, Shane Ray

All of the safety FA's worth mentioning: Landon Collins, Earl Thomas, Adrian Amos, Tyrann Mathieu, Lamarcus Joyner, Haha Clinton-Dix (lol), Adrian Phillips, Tre Boston

Now we'll see who actually makes it to the open market.
It would be a cruel irony if we did end up with Barr. I wouldn't mind seeing Dante Flower or Demarcus Lawrence for the edge. As for safties Tyrann Mathieu and Earl Thomas would be my choices.

Imo we still could use another weapon for receiver as well.

Alos can we please not do this Rodgers prima donna bs here please? There's a thread for that, and I really don't feel like doing that again.

Members online

Latest posts