3 Free Agent signings Gute MUST Make

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy Nelson
Greg Jennings
Devante Adams
Randall Cobb

I think the last time they took a WR in the first was Javon Walker. Packers love taking WRs in the 2nd. I think the first rd will be used to add play makers to the defense. My dream scenarios are getting AJ Green or TY Hilton

I don't think they have to take one in the 1st but I'd certainly like to see one earlier than the 4th. Like maybe the 2nd again.

Green isn't a FA until 2020. His cap hit is 15 million in 2019 and while the Bengals have space they would save 12 million if they decided to get younger. That would really tick my nephew off because he loves AJ Green and hates the Packers but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it. The old Packers have shown they don't mind spending money on WRs but that may not be the new Packers. He wouldn't come cheap though.

What about John Brown?

Brown could be one of those middle of the road prices veterans that could provide a big boost in production. I wouldn't mind it. On the other hand seeing what the middle of the road priced WRs got last year he may get more than anticipated.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I will be keeping a watchful eye on what Gute does at WR. Tough determination for a fan in trying to assess whether MVS and EQ are legit and will take the next step up. I have to think Gute has a good feel for where they are in the process. It took awhile for both Jordy and Adams to be productive, is that the same case with the rookies? If they let Cobb walk, that might be an indication of their opinions on the Rookies. I hope Moore and Kumerow both get a ton of playing time in the next 4 weeks, this is the time to assess future players/needs and not worry as much about W's.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I will be keeping a watchful eye on what Gute does at WR. Tough determination for a fan in trying to assess whether MVS and EQ are legit and will take the next step up. I have to think Gute has a good feel for where they are in the process. It took awhile for both Jordy and Adams to be productive, is that the same case with the rookies? If they let Cobb walk, that might be an indication of their opinions on the Rookies. I hope Moore and Kumerow both get a ton of playing time in the next 4 weeks, this is the time to assess future players/needs and not worry as much about W's.

I would think that with Adams solidified as the #1, Allison easily brought back as an RFA, and MVS, EQ, Moore, and Kumerow all developing, there isn't a whole lot more to do other than find a slot receiver to replace Cobb.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think that with Adams solidified as the #1, Allison easily brought back as an RFA, and MVS, EQ, Moore, and Kumerow all developing, there isn't a whole lot more to do other than find a slot receiver to replace Cobb.

One could argue that Allison and EQ are best served as slots. Then draft a shifty guy to replace Cobb.

Andy Issabella, Parris Campbell, etc etc.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One could argue that Allison and EQ are best served as slots. Then draft a shifty guy to replace Cobb.

Andy Issabella, Parris Campbell, etc etc.

That's true. I just want someone who gets open early in the down and picks up YAC. I don't care where they align.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on growth and projection, I'm not too worried about WR. Moore needs to learn how to catch, the other two have to learn to run better routes. In theory at least, both problems are correctable.

I don't like saying, "We have to sign this guy" or "that guy." We don't know who'll even make it to free agency. And the usual problem is the really great players, the impact players, are expensive. Getting one might be it. Two would be surprising and three would be outright shocking.

That said, the holes on the roster are pretty obvious. Edge and R G/T are the top, Safety and TE the next tier.

McCray/Bell haven't done well, Bulaga is getting old and hurt too often. I'd expect something like the usual--a couple of college LTs in the 4th/5th that can't hack it at LT in the pros. Generally a good way to get pass protectors. Maybe slide Bulaga inside depending on what we can snag. Doesn't help him get injured less, but might let him be successful long with (what I assume) is a slowly declining athletic skillset. Seems unlikely we sign anyone other than a Bell-like signing.

Matthews is an FA, Perry has been hurt. I think we can all agree on this one, no arguments here. I wouldn't be surprised if we re-signed Matthews to an incentive laidened deal. I dunno, 3-5 million base, ability to earn around 8-10 depending on those incentives. Let him be the number 3 OLB. Signing and Edge is going to be the hardest due to the premium the league places on the position. Maybe a value signing, ala Peppers.

Safety needs help, but scarily enough, we don't seem to be losing because of it. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the big splash signing, because across the league, Safety salaries are overall down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts