Free Agents you would like to see sign with Green Bay in 2019?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If this is just for humor, fine. Otherwise, I don't see how they can take away 'guarantees'.

My comment was strictly for humor yes. However, we saw the Raiders able to take away his guarantees. I have no clue how the contract is written or what he has to do to earn the rest of his $15M, but I think if between now and Sunday, AB decides to streak through NE naked, goes off on a Social Media rant, and tells BB he is a *******, those guarantees will be taken away by AB's actions, not actions by the Patriots.

As Deion Sanders said in an interview last night about AB, "This is it, this is the last hoorah, if you go there and anything happens, they are going to cut loose....because they proved tonight that they don't need you....its not time to build a brand, its time to build a man".

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-gamed...844/Prime-offers-advice-to-A-B-in-New-England

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no clue how the contract is written or what he has to do to earn the rest of his $15M, but I think if between now and Sunday, AB decides to streak through NE naked, goes off on a Social Media rant, and tells BB he is a *******, those guarantees will be taken away by AB's actions, not actions by the Patriots.

A extract of a standard NFL contract. I presume, this is to guard against the player from earning guaranteed money and then refusing to play. Most clubs add their own behavioural variations but they run in similar vein.

Notwithstanding this Skill, Injury and Cap Guarantee, Player shall report to Club, practice with Club, play with Club, and honor all terms of the Contract, including all addenda thereto. If at any time Player does not report to Club; does not practice or play with Club; leaves Club without prior written approval (including, but not limited to retirement); does not honor any terms of the Contract (including any addenda thereto); is suspended by the NFL or Club for conduct detrimental, violation of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, violation of the NFL Policy on Substances of Abuse, or violation of the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances; violates any other agreements between Club and Player; or is injured as a result of a breach of Paragraph 3 of the Contract or as a result of participation in hazardous activities which involve a significant risk of personal injury and are non-football in nature (including but not limited to skydiving, hang gliding, mountain climbing, auto racing, motorcycling, scuba diving, skiing, and any other sports) then Player shall be in default ("Default") and the Skill, Injury and Cap Guarantee shall be null and void and Player shall be only eligible to earn his remaining stated Paragraph 5 salary on a weekly, non-guaranteed basis if Player is on Club's roster for the 2019 League Year and meets all ordinary criteria for earning Paragraph 5 Salary, subject to any applicable fines."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A extract of a standard NFL contract. I presume, this is to guard against the player from earning guaranteed money and then refusing to play. Most clubs add their own behavioural variations but they run in similar vein.

Notwithstanding this Skill, Injury and Cap Guarantee, Player shall report to Club, practice with Club, play with Club, and honor all terms of the Contract, including all addenda thereto. If at any time Player does not report to Club; does not practice or play with Club; leaves Club without prior written approval (including, but not limited to retirement); does not honor any terms of the Contract (including any addenda thereto); is suspended by the NFL or Club for conduct detrimental, violation of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, violation of the NFL Policy on Substances of Abuse, or violation of the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances; violates any other agreements between Club and Player; or is injured as a result of a breach of Paragraph 3 of the Contract or as a result of participation in hazardous activities which involve a significant risk of personal injury and are non-football in nature (including but not limited to skydiving, hang gliding, mountain climbing, auto racing, motorcycling, scuba diving, skiing, and any other sports) then Player shall be in default ("Default") and the Skill, Injury and Cap Guarantee shall be null and void and Player shall be only eligible to earn his remaining stated Paragraph 5 salary on a weekly, non-guaranteed basis if Player is on Club's roster for the 2019 League Year and meets all ordinary criteria for earning Paragraph 5 Salary, subject to any applicable fines."

I see at least "9 million" potential outs there for BB and the Patriots when it comes to AB! :roflmao:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see at least "9 million" potential outs there for BB and the Patriots when it comes to AB! :roflmao:

Ofc. If the rumours of long game are true and AB wants to play for Pats, then won't matter at all. Either way, there's lots of upside for BB/Pats and literally no downside.

H

HardRightEdge

some guarantees are predicated on games played, stats, etc. I have no idea what is in his contract, but sometimes it will say you need to be on the active roster by this date for a "guarantee" to kick in. No idea how this would pertain to AB specifically.
Reports are saying Hoodie gave Brown a $9 mil signing bonus. He may have already cashed that check. Signing bonuses are incredibly hard to claw back. Recall the Packers were going to claw back Bennett's signing bonus? That didn't happen. Once the check is cashed, sayonara.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports are saying Hoodie game Brown a $9 mil signing bonus. He may have already cashed that check. Signing bonuses are incredibly hard to claw back. Recall the Packers were going to claw back Bennett's signing bonus? That didn't happen. Once the check is cashed, sayonara.
yeah, a signing bonus is kind of money paid out and gone. Good luck getting any back after that. I haven't been following this too much, I have no idea what his contract is other than what others might mention here.

H

HardRightEdge

yeah, a signing bonus is kind of money paid out and gone. Good luck getting any back after that. I haven't been following this too much, I have no idea what his contract is other than what others might mention here.
All the reports are saying Brown got $9 mil in signing bonus from New England. If true, Hoodie ain't getting back that money or cap regardless of what happens.

Miami sued Ricky Williams to get back signing bonus money when he abruptly retired after one year with team back in 2003. It didn't matter in the end because Ricky wanted to come back, Miami held his rights, and he had to issue that refund as Miami's condition for his return. Since we're on the subject of head cases, Ricky was a first ballot electee to the the Head Case Hall of Fame. To disgress, OBJ isn't far behind; sooner or later that guy is gonna blow up.

I'm aware of no other instance where signing bonus money was clawed back. Even Brown's small signing bonus attached to the extension he signed with Oakland is booked as dead cap. They cut him, their choice.

Signing bonuses are just that: guaranteed money for putting your John Hancock on the dotted line. Probably the strongest case (and perhaps only case) for getting back signing bonus money is if a guy retired before taking a single snap after signing the deal. Even then, if the check was cashed, you'd have to take the guy to court, and good luck with that.

H

HardRightEdge

I just saw where Rapaport reported that of Brown's $9 mil signing bonus, $5 mil is paid now and $4 mil will be paid "later". So if Brown blows up again, NE sees the need to dump him, and the $4 mil second installment has not yet been paid, then Brown will have to sue NE to get that $4 mil. Hoodie wasn't totally out on the ledge with this one.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know about anybody else, but I think my interest in Brown as a case study, or "head case study" as it were, has run its course.

A final few words:

Who got the short end of the stick in this soap opera?

Oakland: out $1.2 mil in dead cap, a 3rd. round pick, and a 5th. round pick.
Pittsburgh: out $21.1 mil in dead cap, receiving those picks in return
NE: out $5 mil so far in signing bonus, $1 mil in guaranteed salary, and $4 mil more in signing bonus "later"

I'd say Pittsburgh is the biggest loser so far. If Hoodie doesn't get Brown the snaps and yards he thinks he deserves, look out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Probably nobody or nothing to get excited about, but the Packers had the following Free Agents in for tryouts today:
  • LB Joey Alfieri (Stanford).
  • WR Trinity Benson (East Central).
  • LB Gary Johnson (Texas).
  • TE Scott Orndoff (Pitt).
  • LB Gimel President (Illinois).
  • G Malcolm Pridgeon (Ohio State).
  • DT Cory Thomas (Mississippi State).
  • RB Johnathan Thomas (Penn State).
  • NT Jay-Tee Tiuli (Eastern Washington).
  • QB Phillip Walker (Temple).

H

HardRightEdge

Probably nobody or nothing to get excited about, but the Packers had the following Free Agents in for tryouts today:
  • LB Joey Alfieri (Stanford).
  • WR Trinity Benson (East Central).
  • LB Gary Johnson (Texas).
  • TE Scott Orndoff (Pitt).
  • LB Gimel President (Illinois).
  • G Malcolm Pridgeon (Ohio State).
  • DT Cory Thomas (Mississippi State).
  • RB Johnathan Thomas (Penn State).
  • NT Jay-Tee Tiuli (Eastern Washington).
  • QB Phillip Walker (Temple).
Unlike Thompson, it does appear Gutekunst runs an actual year-round Pro Personnel department. Rust never sleeps, at least now it doesn't. Last year it was an on-going sign-and-test of a number of former draft picks. In this case, I believe all these guys were undrafted, mostly this year. A few have been kicking around training camps and practice squads for a couple of years.

With the college season now underway, we expect the college scouts are attending to their business, leaving the selection and evaluation of these kinds of tryouts left to the Pro Personnel department, especially those players with prior NFL experience even if there is only preseason tape to look at. FYI, the Director of Pro Personnel is Richmond Williams. I had to look that up. He's working under either Jon-Eric Sullivan or John Wojciechowski or both, the Co-Directors of Player Personnel. I did not have to look up those guys.

Given the cross-section of positions it does not appear they are looking for anything in particular. It's more like "do your job" and beat the bushes for a PS upgrade or finding names to put in the back pocket to add to the PS if somebody from PS has to get promoted due to injury. That might be a tiny edge, but it sure beats sitting on one's hands.

I could never quite figure out the enthusiasm for Elliot Wolf who was in Pro Personnel for several years, and Director of Pro Personnel in one or two of his later years with the Packers. The Pro Personnel department was moribund under Thompson. "Elliot, tell me more about this Julius Peppers you've scouted." I don't think that conversation ever happened. ;)

How would you know if Wolf was any good when so few free agents were ever signed? And you never had a Thompson cattle call like this past the rookie tryout camp. Pro Personnel might have had input to filling out the training camp roster with some guys who had been kicking around for awhile. After that, pro scouting reports he might have written were in the bottom of Thompson's in-bin, perhaps never read? I don't know what the Pro Personnel department did in-season all those years other than scouting upcoming opponents, assuming they had that assignment which is not certain.

So, nothing's likely to come of these tryouts, but if you don't keep looking you definitely won't be finding. So, if effort counts for anything, credit goes to Gutekunst, et. al., for putting in the work.

Reaction score
Reports are saying Hoodie gave Brown a $9 mil signing bonus. He may have already cashed that check. Signing bonuses are incredibly hard to claw back. Recall the Packers were going to claw back Bennett's signing bonus? That didn't happen. Once the check is cashed, sayonara.
Then the Patriots signed Bennett after he shafted GB. Bennett complained McKenzie was trying to force him to play injured... Then he left and he literally suited up and played for NE the very next week. The injury magically disappeared in the blink of an eye

It’s almost like NE likes the publicity surrounding these dramas. They feed on attention, even if it’s bad attention they’ll take it anyway they can get it.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, since the Antonio Brown thread was closed down. :(

Looks like it didn't take long for him to make headlines again!

He is being accused of **** in a Civil Lawsuit in Florida.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/sports/football/antonio-brown-******-asssault-patriots.html

H

HardRightEdge

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/sports/football/antonio-brown-******-asssault-patriots.html
Sure, why not.

I no sooner lumped OBJ in with Brown on the Head Case All-Pro team, than we get this wrist watch controversy.

It was reported to be a $189,500 Richard Mille RM 11-03 McLaren Flyback Chronograph. I wonder how that detailed description got out there? I guess it got flashed around some reporters. If Richard Mille is paying him to wear it and will pick up his fines, then he's a head case, distraction, self-promoter and opportunist. If he's not getting paid, then he's a head case, a distraction, a self-promoter and an idiot. It's not a winning formula either way.

With the Browns sh*tting the bed last week, it would be team-friendly for OBJ to ditch the watch, **** and stick to his knitting. Instead he says the league is picking on him in particular. If ain't an act, then add paranoia to the list. If it is an act, add sense of privilege to the list. At this rate he'll be out of yarn before too long. On to New England on a one year deal!

Cleveland better start winning for his sake.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, why not.

I no sooner lumped OBJ in with Brown on the Head Case All-Pro team, than we get this wrist watch controversy.

It was reported to be a $189,500 Richard Mille RM 11-03 McLaren Flyback Chronograph. I wonder how that detailed description got out there? I guess it got flashed around some reporters. If Richard Mille is paying him to wear it and will pick up his fines, then he's a head case, distraction, self-promoter and opportunist. If he's not getting paid, then he's a head case, a distraction, a self-promoter and an idiot. It's not a winning formula either way.

With the Brown's sh*tting the bed last week, it would be team-friendly for OBJ to ditch the watch, **** and stick to his knitting. Instead he says the league is picking on him in particular. If ain't an act, then add paranoia to the list. If it is an act, add sense of privilege to the list. At this rate he'll be out of yarn before too long. On to New England on a one year deal!

Cleveland better start winning for his sake.
I wouldn't put OBJ in the same sense I would for AB in regards to a headcase. Whereas I think OBJ can be salvageable if put in the right environment, I think AB is way too caught up into himself. With OBJ I largely say it's a maturity thing as the dude is still like what? 26? I honestly think OBJ is passionate about winning tbh, and considering how things were in New York, I think he was the easy scapegoat. AB I originally sympathized due to how big of a jerk Big Ben was in regards to throwing him and others under the bus at the podium after every game, but now it's just one thing after another. I really hope these allegations aren't true in regards to Brown because I just don't like hearing any person going out there and ****** someone, and while as big of a jerk he is I would like to think he wouldn't cross that line.

These allegations strike a nerve with me in particular because I was falsely accused of ****** assault when I was in high school and was suspended border line expelled. Fortunately the girl eventually confessed that she lied about the whole ordeal, and I was allowed to return. But ever since then I've been nervous around girls, in particularly caucasian women because I'm a black man and in this day in age people are quick to assume the worse and take the women's side in regards to a matter when it comes to this. At least from my experience.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OK, I know I am going to take a lot of heat for this and be called a a sexist and all that and its not the way I intend it but honestly the first thing I thought of when I read this was "3 times" You had a professional relationship its not like you were required to associate with the guy. When he calls for a training session after the second time just say no. I'm not trying to lay this at her feet or saying it is her fault in any way.

Once, the guy is an ******* and deserves to be castrated
twice, OK he apologized and you prefer to see the good in someone so you give him another chance. The guy is still an ******* and deserves to be castrated.
three times, no doubt about it the guy is an ******* and deserves to be castrated but I can't help but wonder why he even got the third chance. After the second time I'd think you would know enough to stay away from him.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I know I am going to take a lot of heat for this and be called a a sexist and all that and its not the way I intend it but honestly the first thing I thought of when I read this was "3 times" You had a professional relationship its not like you were required to associate with the guy. When he calls for a training session after the second time just say no. I'm not trying to lay this at her feet or saying it is her fault in any way.

twice, OK he apologized and you prefer to see the good in someone so you give him another chance. The guy is still an ******* and deserves to be castrated.
three times, no doubt about it the guy is an ******* and deserves to be castrated but I can't help but wonder why he even got the third chance. After the second time I'd think you would know enough to stay away from him.
Basically fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me right?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I do agree with you, a lot actually. I always say, if no means no, mean it and take some responsibility for it. Quit making bad decisions, etc. But on the other hand, in a moment, fear can make you do crazy things so I know not everyone can fight back etc. But spread over multiple opportunities to take control?

I don't want to blame a potential victim, so I'll stop there. Regardless though, even if she did put herself in that situation multiple after what she alleges he did, if he did what she said, he needs to pay.

regret is different than **** though and it needs to be established what it was in this case.

H

HardRightEdge

I wouldn't put OBJ in the same sense I would for AB in regards to a headcase. Whereas I think OBJ can be salvageable if put in the right environment, I think AB is way too caught up into himself.
You don't think OBJ isn't "caught up in himself"? LOL The dude is constantly "branding" himself. Now he's doing product placements on the football field.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree with you, a lot actually. I always say, if no means no, mean it and take some responsibility for it. Quit making bad decisions, etc. But on the other hand, in a moment, fear can make you do crazy things so I know not everyone can fight back etc. But spread over multiple opportunities to take control?

I don't want to blame a potential victim, so I'll stop there. Regardless though, even if she did put herself in that situation multiple after what she alleges he did, if he did what she said, he needs to pay.

regret is different than **** though and it needs to be established what it was in this case.

100% agree with all this. I can think of all sorts of things she could have been thinking that allowed it to happen a second time but I'm still curious to know why she put herself in a position for it to happen a third time?

It makes no difference in what should happen to AB if her story is true. He deserves the max but she needs to be asking herself if she is making the best choices. Maybe its psychological, like a woman making excuses for an abusive partner, but whatever it is she may need to get help.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While not a Free Agent, would you trade a R1 + for LT Trent Williams? That price was early chatter, but maybe their price is less?

Trent Williams is a player I would love to see Gutes work a trade for. He had a BIG falling out with the team over the way they mismanaged a health issue (benign tumor on his scalp) he had, and has been a no show there the entire year. 7 - time Pro Bowl LT, 31 yrs old. Williams graded out #3 in the NFL at LT behind Bahk and Joe Staley over the last 3 years by PFF.

He would certainly make for some quality OL depth, should Bahktiari's back become more of a problem.

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2...ent-williams-at-redskins-practice-on-tuesday/

https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/04/trent-williams-trade-destinations-browns-patriots-vikings/

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...liams-one-expert-says-way-more-1st-round-pick

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While not a Free Agent, would you trade a R1 + for LT Trent Williams? That price was early chatter, but maybe their price is less?

Trent Williams is a player I would love to see Gutes work a trade for. He had a BIG falling out with the team over the way they mismanaged a health issue (benign tumor on his scalp) he had, and has been a no show there the entire year. 7 - time Pro Bowl LT, 31 yrs old. Williams graded out #3 in the NFL at LT behind Bahk and Joe Staley over the last 3 years by PFF.

He would certainly make for some quality OL depth, should Bahktiari's back become more of a problem.

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2...ent-williams-at-redskins-practice-on-tuesday/

https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/04/trent-williams-trade-destinations-browns-patriots-vikings/

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...liams-one-expert-says-way-more-1st-round-pick

My problems with Williams, he wants LT money, is a left tackle and we already have Bahk, who is signed through next season. Williams is also at that age (31), where I would start getting nervous about signing him to a big contract, which I think is the only way he plays.

Would it be great to get him to replace Bulaga? Hell yes, but the timing isn't that great, since we are cap committed to Bulaga. If he is available at a reasonable price after this season and is willing to play RT, then go get him!

So "no", at this time, I would not trade much for him nor would I want to pay him the money he probably wants.