Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Packers wanted to add a safety to play next to Amos so that they could use Savage primarily as a nickel, here are the notable names in the safety market:
  • J. Simmons, Denver (27)
  • J. Johnson, Los Angeles (26)
  • M. Williams, Saints (24)
  • M. Maye, Jets (26)
  • A. Harris, Minnesota (29)
Those five are a clear tier unto themselves in this FA class, and all of them are probably beyond the Packers in terms of price tag. The name that might be possible is Harris. He's older than the others and coming off more of a down year. After those guys, you have names like:
  • T. Gipson, Chicago (30)
  • D. Kazee, Atlanta (27)
  • X. Woods, Dallas (25)
  • R. Jenkins, Los Angeles (27)
  • J. Tartt, San Francisco (29)
  • D. Harmon, Detroit (30)
Gipson would probably be a cheap and capable addition. Kazee could be a big time "buy low" option. He's been good in Atlanta as a safety and slot corner. He and Savage could likely play interchangeable roles, and help disguise coverage.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, according to PFF Boston had his worst season in the NFL by a decent margin in 2020.

Good, then maybe the Packers can get him for cheap and he can revert back to being an above-average safety like he's been most of his career. I'm generally pretty upbeat on a single year drop off being more of an indicator of an anomaly than a preview of things to come, IF that player isn't just getting too old. Tre will only be 29 next year, I just find it hard to believe he's forgotten how to play.

Keep in mind that all 3 safeties that played big snaps for Carolina last season played pretty badly according to PFF. Carolina's starting cornerbacks last season (they had 4 that played over 400 snaps) only played 599, 411, 821, and 529 snaps each. Donte Jackson was their best corner (25th ranked) and he played 599 snaps while the guy that started the most, Rasul Douglas, was the 64th ranked corner. I'm guessing the safeties were being forced to do a lot of extra things to account for a poor and shallow cornerback group; appears that the secondary was pretty fluid for Carolina last year. Carolina also has a terrible pass rush so everybody in the secondary was being hung out to dry.

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Panthers are 35M under the cap
They will save extra 3M after they cut Tre Boston

So basically they are cutting him cause he was not good enough in coverage or tackling

Not something the Packers want

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Panthers are 35M under the cap
They will save extra 3M after they cut Tre Boston

So basically they are cutting him cause he was not good enough in coverage or tackling

Not something the Packers want

My question is why do NFL teams not want this guy more if he’s as good as PFF has graded him?

He’s been the PFF hipster’s preferred FA for like four years now.

But the Panthers waived him, he only got low money one year deals from the Chargers, Cardinals, and Panthers, then he finally gets a longer deal worth serious money and he’s waived one year into it.

Either PFF does not see him the way the league does, or there are some major red flags with the person.

D

Deleted member 6794

My question is why do NFL teams not want this guy more if he’s as good as PFF has graded him?

He’s been the PFF hipster’s preferred FA for like four years now.

But the Panthers waived him, he only got low money one year deals from the Chargers, Cardinals, and Panthers, then he finally gets a longer deal worth serious money and he’s waived one year into it.

Either PFF does not see him the way the league does, or there are some major red flags with the person.

Just for the record, PFF never had Boston ranked higher than 13th among safeties who played at least 500 snaps in any season.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, PFF never had Boston ranked higher than 13th among safeties who played at least 500 snaps in any season.

Are they differentiating between free and strong?

13/32 is a lot different than 13/64, is why I’m asking.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Duke Johnson released.

He’s coming off a down year on the ground, but is only 27 and was averaging 4.7 YPC as a part time guy prior to 2020. He’s an excellent receiving back.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Johnson is also a roster cut, so signing him would not count against the Packers in terms of compensatory picks.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. I didn’t watch him at all.

I still like the general idea of adding a safety so Savage can play nickel.

I'm definitely not in favor of basically a change of positions for Savage when he's on the verge of becoming a pro bowl, I think all pro player at free safety. Him and Alexander are young talented and very well coached it's gonna be a deadly combination. I don't doubt savage can play nickel and excel I just think he's more valuable where he's at.

When defenses are really good they've got that guy at least packer defenses for sure. The last two times they were really good was with Leroy Butler and Nick Collins. 1 guy who might get in the hall and another who was better than that...

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm definitely not in favor of basically a change of positions for Savage when he's on the verge of becoming a pro bowl, I think all pro player at free safety. Him and Alexander are young talented and very well coached it's gonna be a deadly combination. I don't doubt savage can play nickel and excel I just think he's more valuable where he's at.

When defenses are really good they've got that guy at least packer defenses for sure. The last two times they were really good was with Leroy Butler and Nick Collins. 1 guy who might get in the hall and another who was better than that...

That's the thing though-- a lot of Savage's best play in 2020 came closer to the LOS as more of a slot/rover defender, and not as a free safety.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the thing though-- a lot of Savage's best play in 2020 came closer to the LOS as more of a slot/rover defender, and not as a free safety.

I saw him make a lot of good plays deep as well. Also saw him in position to make plays deep and fail. The deep ball to godwin in nfccg...I think he starts making those plays a lot more consistently in 2021 it usually takes safeties a few years to really break out.

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players that the Packers should target...

WR: Curtis Samuel - Extremely versatile, can line up anywhere including the backfield.

WR/KR: Corderelle Patterson - He would instantly fix our return game

DL Dalvin Tomlinson - A much cheaper and younger alternative to JJ Watt

P Kevin Huber/Marquette King - I think it's time to replace Scott, Huber is the best P on the market who punted last season. However, we should give King a call, he was one of the best in the business before being unceremoniously cut by the Raiders.

CB Richard Sherman/Patrick Peterson/Ronald Darby - My as well kick the tires on one of these veteran CB's. Either one would instantly be an upgrade over who we had playing opposite Jaire last season.

HB James White - If we lose Jones and/or Williams, we need a decent backup.

In no way am I suggesting we sign all of these guys, we obviously don't have the cap for that. However, no way we couldn't find a way to sign a couple of the aforementioned players.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I saw him make a lot of good plays deep as well. Also saw him in position to make plays deep and fail. The deep ball to godwin in nfccg...I think he starts making those plays a lot more consistently in 2021 it usually takes safeties a few years to really break out.

The point I’m making isn’t that he didn’t play free safety or isn’t good at it. He is and he could definitely stay there. But it’s also not exactly right to say that moving him to the slot would be uprooting him positionally. He’s played really well there in college and in the pros.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

WR: Curtis Samuel - Extremely versatile, can line up anywhere including the backfield.

P Kevin Huber/Marquette King - I think it's time to replace Scott, Huber is the best P on the market who punted last season. However, we should give King a call, he was one of the best in the business before being unceremoniously cut by the Raiders.

CB Richard Sherman/Patrick Peterson/Ronald Darby - My as well kick the tires on one of these veteran CB's. Either one would instantly be an upgrade over who we had playing opposite Jaire last season.

In no way am I suggesting we sign all of these guys, we obviously don't have the cap for that. However, no way we couldn't find a way to sign a couple of the aforementioned players.

GB did try to trade for Tomlinson at the deadline. Forgot all about that. Good mention.

D

Deleted member 6794

The point I’m making isn’t that he didn’t play free safety or isn’t good at it. He is and he could definitely stay there. But it’s also not exactly right to say that moving him to the slot would be uprooting him positionally. He’s played really well there in college and in the pros.

For the record, Savage lined up in the box and at slot corner more often than he actually did at free safety in 2020.

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think about making a push for J.C Jackson? The Patriots would likely put the 1st round tender on him, however, he is by far the best CB available in FA, and much better than anything we could land at pick 29. So to me I would have no problem relinquishing our 1st in order to sign him, all the while structuring the deal in a way that makes it hard for the Patriots to match. We all know how much Belichick loves to add extra picks, so he may not match regardless.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What do you guys think about making a push for J.C Jackson? The Patriots would likely put the 1st round tender on him, however, he is by far the best CB available in FA, and much better than anything we could land at pick 29. So to me I would have no problem relinquishing our 1st in order to sign him, all the while structuring the deal in a way that makes it hard for the Patriots to match. We all know how much Belichick loves to add extra picks, so he may not match regardless.

Two reasons why I don’t like that idea.

1. The value of that first round pick is in part that he will be cheap. Jackson would cost the 1st while also being expensive. Given the cap situation, those cap savings are critical.

2. I do not trust players who excel under Belichick to translate that level of play to a team outside of New England. Most of the time, how guys play for him is their peak and they regress without his coaching.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Samuel would be a great addition to the squad, especially if Aaron Jones leaves. He is a great receiver, especially out the backfield. He could really open up the offense and add more dynamic plays. As far as everyone else, GB needs cheaper options. These players are great legacies, but I think their recent production doesn't match the name status.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So one smart way to look at free agency is that you target the positions that are of most pressing concern and free yourself up to go in whatever direction the draft board takes you.

That would beg the question-- what are currently the most pressing needs for the Packers to target? Below is their depth chart just of guys who are under contract already for 2021 (players in bold still very likely cap casualties):

QB:
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Jordan Love
RB:
  • A.J. Dillon
  • Dexter Williams
  • Patrick Taylor
  • Mike Weber
  • John Lovett
TE:
  • Jace Sternberger
  • Josiah Deguara
  • Dominique Dafney
  • Isaac Nauta
WR:
  • Davante Adams
  • Marquez Valdes-Scantling
  • Equanimeous St. Brown
  • Devin Funchess
  • Juwann Winfree
  • Reggie Begelton
  • Chris Blair
OT:
  • David Bakhtiari
  • Zach Johnson
G:
  • Elgton Jenkins
  • Billy Turner
  • Jon Runyan Jr
  • Simon Stepaniak
C:
  • Lucas Patrick
  • Jake Hanson
DL:
  • Kenny Clark
  • Dean Lowry
  • Kingsley Keke
  • Anthony Rush
  • Bronson Kaufusi
  • Willington Prevlion
ED:
  • Za'Darius Smith
  • Rashan Gary
  • Preston Smith
  • Jonathan Garvin
  • Delontae Scott
  • Tipa Galeai
LB:
  • Krys Barnes
  • Kamal Martin
  • Oren Burks
  • Ty Summers
  • Scoota Harris
CB:
  • Jaire Alexander
  • Josh Jackson
  • Ka'Dar Hollman
  • Stanford Samuels
  • Innis Gaines
S:
  • Adrian Amos
  • Darnell Savage
  • Vernon Scott
  • Henry Black
  • Ray Wilborn
So where are the biggest needs? Here's how I would rank them, from "five alarm fire" down to "need to tinker":

Corner: At a position where you're going to be playing three guys most of the time, and your first true backup is your fourth best player, the Packers currently have one guy. Priority #1 should be adding a starter in the secondary, be it a safety so that Savage can play nickel, or a corner on either the inside or outside.

2. Defensive Line:
If and when Lowry gets cut, you're going to have one guy outside of Clark that can reasonably be expected to make serious contributions in 2021 (Keke), and even he has been more of a situational player to this point. On any given snap, you need 2 or 3 of these guys on the field, and they need to be heavily rotated.

3. Offensive Line:
I tend to think that Turner could fill in at RT and adequately replace Wagner. But even if that's true, it means you have Bakhtiari-Jenkins-Patrick-Runyan-Turner, and your only two backups worth mentioning are Stepaniak and Hanson. So they absolutely need depth, especially on the edge.

4. Linebacker:
If history is our instructor, the Packers will be moving back towards more nickel in 2021, with two linebackers on the field. That would mean that you're counting a ton on Barnes and Martin, and that you have no back ups worth playing (having seen that Burks and Summers don't have it).

5. Tight End:
This is a TE heavy offense by design, especially if you consider an H-Back under that TE umbrella. The Packers need to bring back Lewis or find another Y TE. They also need to figure out what they're doing with Tonyan as the F.

6. Running Back:
Dillon is capable of being the "foundation" player here in terms of handling the highest carry load, but there may not be another player on the roster worthy of the 53.

Wide Receiver: Hilariously, WR is not even close to the biggest need on the roster. However, there is still a place in this offense for a motion/YAC weapon that they currently don't possess.

8. Edge:
The defense that Barry is supposedly bringing to Green Bay has traditionally utilized a true, stand-up outside linebacker, capable of rushing and dropping. They currently don't have that guy on the roster.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So one smart way to look at free agency is that you target the positions that are of most pressing concern and free yourself up to go in whatever direction the draft board takes you.

That would beg the question-- what are currently the most pressing needs for the Packers to target? Below is their depth chart just of guys who are under contract already for 2021 (players in bold still very likely cap casualties):

QB:
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Jordan Love
RB:
  • A.J. Dillon
  • Dexter Williams
  • Patrick Taylor
  • Mike Weber
  • John Lovett
TE:
  • Jace Sternberger
  • Josiah Deguara
  • Dominique Dafney
  • Isaac Nauta
WR:
  • Davante Adams
  • Marquez Valdes-Scantling
  • Equanimeous St. Brown
  • Devin Funchess
  • Juwann Winfree
  • Reggie Begelton
  • Chris Blair
OT:
  • David Bakhtiari
  • Zach Johnson
G:
  • Elgton Jenkins
  • Billy Turner
  • Jon Runyan Jr
  • Simon Stepaniak
C:
  • Lucas Patrick
  • Jake Hanson
DL:
  • Kenny Clark
  • Dean Lowry
  • Kingsley Keke
  • Anthony Rush
  • Bronson Kaufusi
  • Willington Prevlion
ED:
  • Za'Darius Smith
  • Rashan Gary
  • Preston Smith
  • Jonathan Garvin
  • Delontae Scott
  • Tipa Galeai
LB:
  • Krys Barnes
  • Kamal Martin
  • Oren Burks
  • Ty Summers
  • Scoota Harris
CB:
  • Jaire Alexander
  • Josh Jackson
  • Ka'Dar Hollman
  • Stanford Samuels
  • Innis Gaines
S:
  • Adrian Amos
  • Darnell Savage
  • Vernon Scott
  • Henry Black
  • Ray Wilborn
So where are the biggest needs? Here's how I would rank them, from "five alarm fire" down to "need to tinker":

Corner: At a position where you're going to be playing three guys most of the time, and your first true backup is your fourth best player, the Packers currently have one guy. Priority #1 should be adding a starter in the secondary, be it a safety so that Savage can play nickel, or a corner on either the inside or outside.

2. Defensive Line:
If and when Lowry gets cut, you're going to have one guy outside of Clark that can reasonably be expected to make serious contributions in 2021 (Keke), and even he has been more of a situational player to this point. On any given snap, you need 2 or 3 of these guys on the field, and they need to be heavily rotated.

3. Offensive Line:
I tend to think that Turner could fill in at RT and adequately replace Wagner. But even if that's true, it means you have Bakhtiari-Jenkins-Patrick-Runyan-Turner, and your only two backups worth mentioning are Stepaniak and Hanson. So they absolutely need depth, especially on the edge.

4. Linebacker:
If history is our instructor, the Packers will be moving back towards more nickel in 2021, with two linebackers on the field. That would mean that you're counting a ton on Barnes and Martin, and that you have no back ups worth playing (having seen that Burks and Summers don't have it).

5. Tight End:
This is a TE heavy offense by design, especially if you consider an H-Back under that TE umbrella. The Packers need to bring back Lewis or find another Y TE. They also need to figure out what they're doing with Tonyan as the F.

6. Running Back:
Dillon is capable of being the "foundation" player here in terms of handling the highest carry load, but there may not be another player on the roster worthy of the 53.

Wide Receiver: Hilariously, WR is not even close to the biggest need on the roster. However, there is still a place in this offense for a motion/YAC weapon that they currently don't possess.

8. Edge:
The defense that Barry is supposedly bringing to Green Bay has traditionally utilized a true, stand-up outside linebacker, capable of rushing and dropping. They currently don't have that guy on the roster.

So here are higher end (though not elite FA's that are unrealistic) and budget options for these various needs.

Higher End:

1. Corner:
Troy Hill, Rams-- inside/outside versatile; track record of strong play; familiar with the defense

1a. Safety: Anthony Harris, Vikings-- if they want to play Savage more at corner, Harris would be a high end solution at safety.

2. Defensive Line: J.J. Watt, Texans

3. Offensive Line: Rick Wagner, Packers-- Wagner's play in the offense was worth keeping, but perhaps at a lower number.

4. Linebacker: K.J. Wright, Seahawks-- At 32, Wright might not cost big money, but he's still a quality player.

5. Tight End: Jonnu Smith, Titans-- Smith would be an upgrade at the F position against single coverage and after the catch.

6. Running Back: Aaron Jones, Packers-- if they end up willing to spend big on RB (they shouldn't), then just tag Jones.

7. Wide Receiver: Curtis Samuel, Panthers-- I don't think this is where they'd be smart to spend their money, but Samuel is the guy who fits the need.

8. Edge: Tyus Bowser, Ravens-- Young, athletic player with true rush/drop versatility.

Budget:

1. Corner:
Xavier Rhodes, Colts-- Rhodes proved in 2020 that he's still a good zone corner when he's healthy.

1a. Safety:
Tashaun Gipson, Bears-- Played over 1100 solid snaps for the Bears in 2020; heading into age 31 season.

2. Defensive Line:
Derek Wolfe, Ravens-- Played almost 700 snaps in 2020 as a quality run defender.

3. Offensive Line:
Ty Sambrailo, Titans-- A step down from Wagner, but still capable of adding depth.

4. Linebacker:
Devondre Campbell, Cardinals-- I struggled with a name here; Campbell was brutal last year, but he's played solid football at times in the past and is still 27.

5. Tight End:
Robert Tonyan, Packers-- The safe move here is just to tender to resign Tonyan; he gets what's schemed.

6. Running Back:
Duke Johnson, Texans-- 27 and coming off a down season, but was very productive 2016-2019.

7. Wide Receiver:
Taywan Taylor, Titans-- Shouldn't cost more than vet minimum; had his best season with LaFleur.

8. Edge:
Kyler Fackrell, Giants-- Predictably did not recreate his 2019 success in New York, but he has the skill set as a drop player that's currently missing.

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A name to watch out for is Andre Cisco. Safety from Syracuse in the 2nd round area. May have to trade up for him as he will be gone by time our 2nd round pick comes around. 13 career picks at Syracuse IN 24 CAREER GAMES. He missed all but one game last season due to an ACL. But he runs sub 4.5 and has incredible playmaking ability. Hate making this comp due to obvious reasons, but he reminds me a bit of Darren Sharper. Adding him would allow Savage to play the nickel when we're in nickel/dime, and safety when we're in base. We need to add playmakers to our backend.

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Syracuse has an NFL team? This is a free agent as in already played in the NFL thread.

Thanks for mentioning that captain obvious. Isn't it time to report to your mall cop job? Or whatever it is you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.