Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will hear Taylor Moton's name a lot in tackle discussions. I doubt he ever gets to market, and if he does he will price out the Packers.

Ty Sambrailo is a guy who has a lot of experience in similar offenses who could potentially be a bridge, but he's not a solution.

Honestly, I would prefer to keep Turner and draft someone. I think Turner is capable enough at RT that they would not be boxed into drafting someone immediately.

Oh I don't think Turner is up for a cut personally at this point. Too versatile - not elite anywhere but versatile.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers have the ability to make any splash signings. Hopefully they can find an effective starter at corner (either outside or slot) and someone to improve the pass rush on the dline, and I recognize that that's a lot to ask with the cap space the Packers are probably going to be working with. Packers oline will be weaker next year than it was this year but I don't think RT is as high on the list of needed help as corner (where the team has one proven starter) or dline (again, one good starter). A great QB can get away with a decent oline; it's nice to have an amazing oline but it's not necessary with a good QB.

I think once you restructure/extend Rodgers and Adams and then cut a lot of underperformers that this team could find itself with a healthy amount of cap space to go out and grab a couple of vets. We wouldnt be breaking the bank on anyone.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think once you restructure/extend Rodgers and Adams and then cut a lot of underperformers that this team could find itself with a healthy amount of cap space to go out and grab a couple of vets. We wouldnt be breaking the bank on anyone.

This is right. The Packers can make moves to create room to add talent. It all comes down to how much cap liability they are willing to push into the future.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is right. The Packers can make moves to create room to add talent. It all comes down to how much cap liability they are willing to push into the future.

100%....the funny thing is folks that will complain if we don't do enough pushing would also complain in 3 or 4 years when the team is crippled when everything comes due...

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what actually happens if we don't get under the cap this year. are we able to roll the over into next years cap like we are able to if under?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what actually happens if we don't get under the cap this year. are we able to roll the over into next years cap like we are able to if under?

PENALTIES happen, and not good ones. If it was merely as easy as you stated, we'd see it happen often

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which leads to my next question. Is the cap still currently in effect or contains do what they want and have to be under it by March 17th?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All 32 teams must be below the cap number at the start of the new league year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kawann Short to me has us written on him more than Watt...same age, has been hampered by injuries two straight years. Much more affordable and no longer has to be the #1 but support to Clark....

D

Deleted member 6794

Smith is better than Tonyan and running a 2 TE offense with Adams on the field, where one of the 2 TEs is a very strong receiving threat would be a big improvement.

If the options to improve the offense are to sign Corey Davis for $13m a year or Smith for $10m, I wouldn't have a problem if the Packers decided on Smith.

Edit: just saw the Spotrac is projecting a 5yr, $40m deal for Smith. If a team can sign Smith for $8m a year, that's a steal.

While Smith might be better than Tonyan (I'm not so sure about that in the first place) there's absolutely no way the Packers should spend that much money on a tight end.

Hasn't Preston played for Barry in the past? If so he might not be going anywhere.

Preston played for Barry during his first two seasons in Washington. I don't think that guarantees him being on the roster in 2021 though.

The reason I think that they don't is because they could have used 11 million out of Baks contract but only did 8.3.

No, the Packers couldn't have saved more cap space by converting Bakhtiari's roster into a signing bonus. The $8.3 million reported was the maximum possible.

You won't see a Rodgers re-structure IMO, if for no other reason than male pride. It would take a massive hit to Gute if they did this as it would in essence fully admit the Love pick is not going to pan out as expected.

Hopefully that's not a factor at all. Actually restructuring Rodgers' contract should be a no-brainer, saving $17 million of cap space in the process.

100%....the funny thing is folks that will complain if we don't do enough pushing would also complain in 3 or 4 years when the team is crippled when everything comes due...

That depends on if the Packers win a Super Bowl over the next few years.

PENALTIES happen, and not good ones. If it was merely as easy as you stated, we'd see it happen often

Teams aren't allowed to stay over the cap once the new league starts. Period.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams aren't allowed to stay over the cap once the new league starts. Period.

Hence the penalties and not good ones - but stop pretending it "couldn't happen" it literally could happen which is why they have 'crippling' penalties for such a thing.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hence the penalties and not good ones - but stop pretending it "couldn't happen" it literally could happen which is why they have 'crippling' penalties for such a thing.

No, it's actually not possible to be over the cap once the league year starts.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor. Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks."

A team can face huge penalties if it goes over the cap, or if it tries to dance around the limit. In 2012, the NFL reduced by $46 million the salary caps of the Washington Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys. The Redskins lost $36 million in salary cap space, and the Cowboys took a $10 million hit after "front-loading" contracts in 2010 when there was no salary cap in place [source: Trotter].

In 1997 the Niners were fined HEAVY (relative to then) and lost draft picks.

While rare, cases of cap violations or attempts to cheat the system have been done and the league has set a strong case for the cost being BRUTAL.

D

Deleted member 6794

"The NFL's cap is a hard cap that the teams have to stay under at all times, and the salary floor is also a hard floor. Penalties for violating or circumventing the cap regulations include fines of up to $5 million for each violation, cancellation of contracts and/or loss of draft picks."

A team can face huge penalties if it goes over the cap, or if it tries to dance around the limit. In 2012, the NFL reduced by $46 million the salary caps of the Washington Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys. The Redskins lost $36 million in salary cap space, and the Cowboys took a $10 million hit after "front-loading" contracts in 2010 when there was no salary cap in place [source: Trotter].

In 1997 the Niners were fined HEAVY (relative to then) and lost draft picks.

While rare, cases of cap violations or attempts to cheat the system have been done and the league has set a strong case for the cost being BRUTAL.

You might want to read the official CBA which clearly states that no team is allowed to be over the cap at any point (see section 2, interestingly the bold part in your post claims exactly the same as well):

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

While I don't know what happened in 1997 (it's irrelevant as the CBA looked way different back then)the Cowboys and Washington were fined for actions during the uncapped season of 2010.

The penalties for circumventing the cap apply to clubs paying handing out benefits to players not accounting for in the salary cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EVERY single agreement, contract, constitution, articles are breachable. Even if the punishment is immediate expulsion from the league, it would have to be somewhere what happens when this occurs.

I 100% understand no team may operate above the cap and continue business or take part in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

EVERY single agreement, contract, constitution, articles are breachable. Even if the punishment is immediate expulsion from the league, it would have to be somewhere what happens when this occurs.

I 100% understand no team may operate above the cap and continue business or take part in the league.

You should just have admitted you were wrong ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true as I have no issue with it.

You truly are just an arrogant cuss aren't you? I've countless times admitted being wrong on a take or a post. I'll let our track records illustrate whose lying here and who isn't. Have a good one.

D

Deleted member 6794

You truly are just an arrogant cuss aren't you? I've countless times admitted being wrong on a take or a post. I'll let our track records illustrate whose lying here and who isn't. Have a good one.

It's truly sad that this forum has become a place on which personally attacking another poster has become the norm once proven wrong by facts instead of just being able to admit having made a mistake and move on.

D

Deleted member 6794

so what if during the off-season there is a day where we sign someone that puts us over the cap, as say a re-structure takes longer to get signed, would we still get sanctioned for that?

Before the start of the league year teams are allowed to be over the cap. After it, the NFL wouldn't allow a contract putting any team over the cap to be upheld.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The penalties for circumventing the cap apply to clubs paying handing out benefits to players not accounting for in the salary cap.

You need to keep reading after this page...Article 14 Section 6 Sanctions - outlines precisely what penalties/sanctions will be imposed should a team be found in violation.

*Edit, wait it appears that is for violations only to Section 1 (a) or (b)

Either way I am still not wrong. A team can choose to go over the cap, but that would be a breach of the CBA and therefore if I understand the CBA correctly would be subject to expulsion from the league at the very worst, or crippling sanctions if found to be breaches of contract styles outlined in Article 14.

D

Deleted member 6794

You need to keep reading after this page...Article 14 Section 6 Sanctions - outlines precisely what penalties/sanctions will be imposed should a team be found in violation.

Not for being over the cap though but trying to circumvent the salary cap by offering benefits to players without accounting for it in cap hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts