Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe because it's Monday morning, but I wonder why one would criticize someone for noting that a post was inappropriate for this thread?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Syracuse has an NFL team? This is a free agent as in already played in the NFL thread.

Thanks for mentioning that captain obvious. Isn't it time to report to your mall cop job? Or whatever it is you do?

Because he was an a**hole about it.

Utterly false. He didn't swear, insult your integrity or imply an inferior intelligence. He used humor sure on what I'd surely think was just an oversight of yours.

You however in your responses I cannot say the same for. Some of us have talked about Cisco over in the draft section, feel free to chime in.

D

Deleted member 6794

What do you guys think about making a push for J.C Jackson? The Patriots would likely put the 1st round tender on him, however, he is by far the best CB available in FA, and much better than anything we could land at pick 29. So to me I would have no problem relinquishing our 1st in order to sign him, all the while structuring the deal in a way that makes it hard for the Patriots to match.

The Patriots have more than $60 million of cap space. There's no chance for the Packers to structure a deal in any way being tough for New England to match.

I think Samuel would be a great addition to the squad, especially if Aaron Jones leaves. He is a great receiver, especially out the backfield. He could really open up the offense and add more dynamic plays.

The Packers most likely won't have the cap space to make a run at Samuel. In addition, as Dantés correctly pointed out, wide receiver isn't the most pressing need on the roster by any means this offseason.

That would beg the question-- what are currently the most pressing needs for the Packers to target? Below is their depth chart just of guys who are under contract already for 2021 (players in bold still very likely cap casualties):

QB:
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Jordan Love
RB:
  • A.J. Dillon
  • Dexter Williams
  • Patrick Taylor
  • Mike Weber
  • John Lovett
TE:
  • Jace Sternberger
  • Josiah Deguara
  • Dominique Dafney
  • Isaac Nauta
WR:
  • Davante Adams
  • Marquez Valdes-Scantling
  • Equanimeous St. Brown
  • Devin Funchess
  • Juwann Winfree
  • Reggie Begelton
  • Chris Blair
OT:
  • David Bakhtiari
  • Zach Johnson
G:
  • Elgton Jenkins
  • Billy Turner
  • Jon Runyan Jr
  • Simon Stepaniak
C:
  • Lucas Patrick
  • Jake Hanson
DL:
  • Kenny Clark
  • Dean Lowry
  • Kingsley Keke
  • Anthony Rush
  • Bronson Kaufusi
  • Willington Prevlion
ED:
  • Za'Darius Smith
  • Rashan Gary
  • Preston Smith
  • Jonathan Garvin
  • Delontae Scott
  • Tipa Galeai
LB:
  • Krys Barnes
  • Kamal Martin
  • Oren Burks
  • Ty Summers
  • Scoota Harris
CB:
  • Jaire Alexander
  • Josh Jackson
  • Ka'Dar Hollman
  • Stanford Samuels
  • Innis Gaines
S:
  • Adrian Amos
  • Darnell Savage
  • Vernon Scott
  • Henry Black
  • Ray Wilborn
So where are the biggest needs? Here's how I would rank them, from "five alarm fire" down to "need to tinker":

3. Offensive Line:
I tend to think that Turner could fill in at RT and adequately replace Wagner. But even if that's true, it means you have Bakhtiari-Jenkins-Patrick-Runyan-Turner, and your only two backups worth mentioning are Stepaniak and Hanson. So they absolutely need depth, especially on the edge.

In addition you have to consider it's entirely possible Bakhtiari will miss part of the 2021 season as well. In my opinion that results in the offensive line being in desperate need of an upgrade.

So here are higher end (though not elite FA's that are unrealistic) and budget options for these various needs.

Higher End:

4. Linebacker: K.J. Wright, Seahawks-- At 32, Wright might not cost big money, but he's still a quality player.

K.J. Wright has made it pretty clear that he wants to get paid big time money again. I don't think the Packers have enough cap space to make a move for him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning that captain obvious. Isn't it time to report to your mall cop job? Or whatever it is you do?

It’s not hard to keep things on the right topic and not spam the board with the same post repeatedly.

We get it. You like Cisco. He might be a good player! We probably don’t need to see a word for word copy of the same post over and over.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With the Watt sweepstakes over with, what are the remaining options on the defense line?

It turns out that in FA there are lots, while from what I hear the draft is pretty weak at the position.

Leonard Williams will now be the marquee name, and definitely one that the Packers should not try to pay up for. Whoever signs him will be paying him at his peak.

Dalvin Tomlinson is the premier nose tackle available. I hope that the Packers don't pay up for him either, as he will probably merit a decent sized contract because he's young and good. But big money deals to guys who don't impact the passing game don't pay off.

Where there is a lot of depth is with players who have the size/length to be good run defenders at the 4i or 5, if they want to use that role in the defense the way that the Rams did: Derek Wolfe, Lawrence Guy, DaQuan Jones, Tyson Alualu, Roy Robertson-Harris, Brent Urban...

What would be most ideal is if the Rams (one of the few teams more cap strapped than the Packers) cut one or both of Michael Brockers or Sebastian Joseph-Day.

They would save 4.2M by letting Brockers go, and about 2M by letting Joseph-Day go.

Either guy would be an upgrade over Lowry, and they're coming directly out of the defense that Barry was presumably hired to install. And as cuts, they wouldn't impact any comp pick considerations.

If it were me, I'd cut Lowry, make a serious run at Brockers if/when he's released, and sign one more on the lower end of the FA market-- someone like Brent Urban. That would leave them with Clark, Brockers, Keke, Urban, and they could fill out the depth with rookies or guys currently on the roster.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Watt sweepstakes over with, what are the remaining options on the defense line?

It turns out that in FA there are lots, while from what I hear the draft is pretty weak at the position.

Leonard Williams will now be the marquee name, and definitely one that the Packers should not try to pay up for. Whoever signs him will be paying him at his peak.

Dalvin Tomlinson is the premier nose tackle available. I hope that the Packers don't pay up for him either, as he will probably merit a decent sized contract because he's young and good. But big money deals to guys who don't impact the passing game don't pay off.

Where there is a lot of depth is with players who have the size/length to be good run defenders at the 4i or 5, if they want to use that role in the defense the way that the Rams did: Derek Wolfe, Lawrence Guy, DaQuan Jones, Tyson Alualu, Roy Robertson-Harris, Brent Urban...

What would be most ideal is if the Rams (one of the few teams more cap strapped than the Packers) cut one or both of Michael Brockers or Sebastian Joseph-Day.

They would save 4.2M by letting Brockers go, and about 2M by letting Joseph-Day go.

Either guy would be an upgrade over Lowry, and they're coming directly out of the defense that Barry was presumably hired to install. And as cuts, they wouldn't impact any comp pick considerations.

If it were me, I'd cut Lowry, make a serious run at Brockers if/when he's released, and sign one more on the lower end of the FA market-- someone like Brent Urban. That would leave them with Clark, Brockers, Keke, Urban, and they could fill out the depth with rookies or guys currently on the roster.

Of all these options, I think Dalvin Tomlinson is the most likely for Gute to sign. He seems to fit the mold of other Gute signings. zSmith, Psmith, Amos, and a lesser extent Turner were up and coming players coming off their rookie deals. They all showed steady improvement and were not top dollar guys but more in the 75% of top guys area.

Dalvim is a run stuffer who is surprisingly fast and athletic. He has developed nicely and now gets significant penetration. His TFLs went 1/5/7/8 and his sacks went 1/0/3.5/3.5. QB hits went 1/8/9/10. I also read that his pressure stats were more impressive.

He is probably looking in the $12-14 M range.

I would play him like in the 5T and I think he would do really well in our system and flourish.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with the thought process the draft is weak. I actually love this class, especially given our blessing of them not needing to be the alpha coming right in. While I don't see a guy I grade at a first rounder, I do have a plethora of 2nd-4th that I truly think can be something solid supporting Clark.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Curious as to why you are dropping draft ideas in a free agent thread. Trying to keep the place neat and tidy no matter what the peons do.

ETA: You can criticize my career choice when you have a stay at home spouse and can still pay cash to send your children through 4 year state universities. Without inheriting it or winning a lottery.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Curious as to why you are dropping draft ideas in a free agent thread. Trying to keep the place neat and tidy no matter what the peons do.

ETA: You can criticize my career choice when you have a stay at home spouse and can still pay cash to send your children through 4 year state universities. Without inheriting it or winning a lottery.

Or robbing a bank ?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Or robbing a bank ?
Hacking the bank gets you less time. Feds take in person robbery of financial institutions much more serious than swiping the financial records from data centers. Especially if you imply you have a firearm or other munitions.
But yes, I mean to imply legally and morally acquiring the finances.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It's pretty typical when people are new, or at least new to actually posting regularly, that they don't know how to take other people and end up in some dust ups. Settle in, don't take things too personally, and post good stuff worth reading. Everything will be OK.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adam Humphries was released from Tenn... He's 27... two years removed from being one of the better slot receivers in the league. May come cheap/prove it type deal. Obviously, some concussion and injury risk. That's the risks if you're looking for a bargain though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adam Humphries was released from Tenn... He's 27... two years removed from being one of the better slot receivers in the league. May come cheap/prove it type deal. Obviously, some concussion and injury risk. That's the risks if you're looking for a bargain though.

Is it bad i would swap funchess contract for him?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of all these options, I think Dalvin Tomlinson is the most likely for Gute to sign. He seems to fit the mold of other Gute signings. zSmith, Psmith, Amos, and a lesser extent Turner were up and coming players coming off their rookie deals. They all showed steady improvement and were not top dollar guys but more in the 75% of top guys area.

Dalvim is a run stuffer who is surprisingly fast and athletic. He has developed nicely and now gets significant penetration. His TFLs went 1/5/7/8 and his sacks went 1/0/3.5/3.5. QB hits went 1/8/9/10. I also read that his pressure stats were more impressive.

I would play him like in the 5T and I think he would do really well in our system and flourish.

I don’t think you can pay that much for a guy who isn’t a pass rusher.

He’s really good at what he does, but why pay a premium for a skill set that isn’t a premium?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute on Kevin King:

"He's obviously made a big difference for us when he's out there."

Well that's one way of putting it.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the Watt Frenzy is over, I have a few I like:

WR
Adam Humphries
Damarcus Robinson
Keelan Cole

TE
Trey Burton

DE
Taco Charlton
Solomon Thomas
Jordan Willis
Stephen Weatherly
Tanoh Kpassagnon

DT
Ndamukong Suh
Lawrence Guy

ILB
Denzel Perryman

CB
Gareon Conley
Chidobe Awuzie
Quinton Dunbar
Artie Burns

S
Damarious Randall
Miles Killebrew

I like Humphries, Robinson, and Cole all for the same reason, guys who I think who could attack defenses from the slot.

Trey Burton doesn't get the recognition I think he deserves for his run blocking ability. He also provides some plays downfield as well.

The DEs are all "high end" retreads from other teams that I liked in their respective Draft years. Taco actually salvaged something while in Dallas. Willis and Weatherly are likely in the Top 10% for athleticism, and Kpassagnon is just massive. I still got a soft spot for Thomas too. What I like is that all of them for the most part can play on all three downs, and all of them should come relatively cheap.

I know I'm going to get dragged for Suh, but dude is going to be a HOF and even at his age is a force. Can you imagine the nuggets we'd get from Rodgers' and Suh's "exchanges" in practice? I think we all like Guy as a solid contributor.

Perryman I like as the run stopper in the middle of the defense while we let Barnes do his thing in coverage.

All the corners are guys I liked in their Draft years as well. Awuzie might get overpaid, but Conley and Burns could both use a change of scenery. Dunbar I think is the safest bet as far as floor and ceiling.

I would still take Randall back in a heartbeat to give us flexibility at FS and CB. For vet minimum this is just a no-brainer to me, plus he's WAY better than Redmond will ever be. I know we all like Raven, but we gotta let him move on. Killebrew would fit the Dime/Sub LB role much better in my opinion, and offers a little bit more in coverage as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

There's a lot to like with Dalvin. He's 27, in the middle of his prime, and you know what you're getting. We already know that the Packers like him, as they tried to acquire him at the trade deadline. He would give them exactly what they need on running downs.

However, based on comp's like D.J. Reader, I think your guess at a contract price is about right. And for me, he just doesn't provide near enough value as a pass rusher to justify that kind of money, especially when there isn't much cap space to go around. I think they can find reasonably comparable help in the running game for a lot less money.

D

Deleted member 6794

mI know I'm going to get dragged for Suh, but dude is going to be a HOF and even at his age is a force.

I don't believe Suh will end up in Canton.

I would still take Randall back in a heartbeat to give us flexibility at FS and CB. For vet minimum this is just a no-brainer to me, plus he's WAY better than Redmond will ever be.

Randall is a more talented player than Redmond but it seems he doesn't put the work in necessary to succeed at the NFL level and has some issues off the field.

The Packers should pass on him.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Hacking the bank gets you less time. Feds take in person robbery of financial institutions much more serious than swiping the financial records from data centers. Especially if you imply you have a firearm or other munitions.
But yes, I mean to imply legally and morally acquiring the finances.

You`ve clearly researched this....lol

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You`ve clearly researched this....lol
Nah! A year or so back I read a few articles about the large differences in investigation intensity and penalties for white collar crimes such as embezzlement and hacking vs street crimes such as larceny and armed robbery .

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Suh will end up in Canton.

Is he first ballot? No, but how long he waits will ultimately be determined by how he finishes his last few years. Being next to Kenny I could se him putting up 8 sacks a year

Randall is a more talented player than Redmond but it seems he doesn't put the work in necessary to succeed at the NFL level and has some issues off the field.

The Packers should pass on him.

I respect your opinion on that. We all have different philosophies, but as for me, I'll take the guy who can just roll out of bed and be the superior player over the guy who while even working hard still shows a bevy of deficiencies in both coverage and run support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts