Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We all know that the Packers are fairly cap strapped right now. Even if the cap ceiling is higher than anticipated, they are going to be towards the bottom of the league. What they're willing to do to create space in 2021, and how much space that ends up being, I don't rightly know. But given the stage of Rodgers' career and the overall quality of the team at the moment, I would not be surprised to see them get very creative in order to add some help.

Avoiding the really high end, expensive options, here are a few guys at various positions that I think could be good additions.

RB: Given the nature of the offense, players with dual skill sets are definitely preferred. The draft will certainly be used here, but they might look to add a cheaper veteran.
  • Jamaal Williams, GB: Given his experience in the offense and ability in pass pro, he would be my first choice.
  • Brian Hill, ATL: The better runner in Atlanta last year, played behind Gurley because of $$; not a game breaker, but a solid runner with reliable hands.
  • Tevin Coleman, SF: Injury has his value at a low point, but had big play ability when healthy. Has experience in the offense.
WR: The biggest need here is for a YAC/motion weapon who can create with the ball in his hands. The draft seems flush with likely players, so I'm not sure what they might try to do in FA.
  • Isaiah McKenzie, BUF: Could be a modest upgrade on Ervin/Austin in that role-- would not be a final solution.
  • Taywan Taylor, TEN: Seemed to be an emerging role player under Petals and then dropped off in 2019.
OL: So much depends here on what they do with the other moving parts. Linsley could walk or could be back. Wagner will likely be released, but what about Turner? Where do you they see Turner, and how does Runyan fit in?
  • Alex Mack, ATL: If they decide they need to patch the center position, Mack can still play despite his age and knows this offense.
  • Chargers iOL: Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney, both 26, are really gifted players who have struggled mightily on a team that sucks at developing OL; interesting reclamation projects.
DL: If they indeed intend to run the same offense that we saw in LA last year, then it's notable that big, long powerful defensive linemen accounted for about 1500 defensive snaps last year for the Rams (Brockers, Joseph-Day, Fox). The following are all just guys who fit that particular mold. This is a spot where I think the Packers should absolutely acquire a guy, because all reports indicate that the draft class sucks at this position.
  • DaQuan Jones, TEN: 6'4" 320, 29 yo, 706 snaps in 2020
  • Lawrence Guy, NE: 6'4" 315, 31 yo, 503 snaps
  • Derek Wolfe, BAL: 6'5" 285, 31 yo, 624 snaps
  • Brent Urban, CHI: 6'7" 300, 30 yo, 370 snaps
Edge: This defense has typically used a lighter, stand-up edge rusher who can also drop in coverage (Leonard Floyd, Malik Reed most recently). That's the style of edge that the Packers don't currently have.
  • Tyus Bowser, BAL: Could be the perfect role to unlock his considerable talent.
  • Haason Red****, ARI: Off-ball has been a disaster-- needs to be an edge.
  • Leonard Floyd, LA: Tons of experience in the role, but you'd be buying high.
  • Vic Beasley, LV: Value at an all time low; could be a role that really suits him.
CB: This is the biggest need on the defense, with a boundary player, a slot, and depth all being needs.
  • A.J. Bouye, DEN
  • Troy Hill, LA
  • Cam Sutton, PIT
  • Brian Poole, NYJ
I can see needs for a veteran presence at LB, safety depth, and also a Y TE if Lewis walks. But I don't see options that interest me so I'm leaving those positions alone.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOW COULD YOU NOT PUT TODD GURLEY THE GREAT ON HERE?!

Name brands only, please.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Not suggesting anything, but the Texans released JJ Watt, FYI.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If jj watt took a team friendly deal I think you gotta jump on that. But even then we're talking a Cam Newton with the Pats deal.

Don't forget vets Marvin Jones at wr and Curtis Samuel who probably played his way into a decent contract that we can't afford.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's keep this thread to realistic options....hence why he didn't put Watt or Gurley on the list.

Taylor WR is a guy I had circled....especially if say we pass on Funchess being part of camp/season.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OL: So much depends here on what they do with the other moving parts. Linsley could walk or could be back. Wagner will likely be released, but what about Turner? Where do you they see Turner, and how does Runyan fit in?

I suspect that we let Linsley walk. Patrick or Jenkins will slide over and Runyan will likely take the open G spot.

As far as Wagner, I assumed he would not return until Bhak got hurt late in the year. There is a good possibility that he startss the year on the PUP. I could easily see a Game 1 line of:

Turner - Jenkins - Patrick - Runyan - Wagner.

Once Bhak is back to form, one of the following:

Bhak - Jenkins - Patrick - Turner - Wagner

or

Bhak - Jenkins - Patrick - Runyan - Turner

I'd strongly recommend keeping Turner. He's a certain starter at either right side spot and an adequate backup at LT.

I presume Wagner sticks for all of 2021 unless we strike gold on his replacement in the draft or Bhak is ahead of schedule on recover. If you need Wagner for week 1, you keep him all year. He's a vested vet, so on the roster week 1, his entire salary (and the cap hit) is guaranteed.

Reaction score
This guy seems to have some good ideas on free agents we should sign. One name I keep seeing mentioned by many for CB is Jason Verrett. I have also heard a few mention WR Curtis Samuel and HB James White. I happen to agree that these would be good pickups for us if we could afford them.

Free Agents the Packers MUST Target - YouTube

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This guy seems to have some good ideas on free agents we should sign. One name I keep seeing mentioned by many for CB is Jason Verrett. I have also heard a few mention WR Curtis Samuel and HB James White. I happen to agree that these would be good pickups for us if we could afford them.

Free Agents the Packers MUST Target - YouTube

Verrett is a total stud, but he’s extremely injury prone.

Over 6 years, he’s averaged 10 missed games.

Reaction score
Verrett is a total stud, but he’s extremely injury prone.

Over 6 years, he’s averaged 10 missed games.

I do agree that is the concern with him. However, he did play almost every game last year, and he would be a cheap option, so I think it would be high risk, but high reward. I am not totally sure how I feel about him because of the injuries. Hopefully we could draft a CB that could make immediate impact next year, I think that would be the best option.

I do think Samuel and White are very good options if we don't resign Aaron Jones and for adding another weapon on the receiving game. We could replace most of Jones running yards and add receiving yards(white is a solid runner who is great at receiving the ball and Samuel is a great receiver who can also run).

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I do agree that is the concern with him. However, he did play almost every game last year, and he would be a cheap option, so I think it would be high risk, but high reward. I am not totally sure how I feel about him because of the injuries. Hopefully we could draft a CB that could make immediate impact next year, I think that would be the best option.

I do think Samuel and White are very good options if we don't resign Aaron Jones and for adding another weapon on the receiving game. We could replace most of Jones running yards and add receiving yards(white is a solid runner who is great at receiving the ball and Samuel is a great receiver who can also run).

My concern is spending a decent chunk of cap space on a guy who will almost certainly miss 4+ games. GB doesn’t have a lot to go around.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Names on this list that really stick out to me are Derek Wolfe, AJ bouye and Troy Hill.

A few other FA Names that were not listed that have my interest obviously depending on what they cost are these guys are mostly pretty high risk high reward players so how much money they'd want would be a big factor.

Jason Verrett, CB
(He's a stud CB when healthy but does however have some health concerns I could see scenarios both were that drives the price down we sign him he stays healthy and is a stud and where we sign him the injury concerns don't drive the price down to much he gets injured and is a bust but he is at the very least a very interesting possibility)

Richard Sherman, CB
(he's getting older which is a bit of a double edged sword on the one hand he shouldn't cost top dollar anymore on the other there is risk of him no longer being able to play at a high level however the guy was incredible a year ago and was battling injury this year so if he was cheap he is a guy that again is at least interesting)

Bashaud Breeland, CB
(He played for us just a few years ago and played well and has played well the last few for KC he has allowed a Comp% of only right at about 50% each of the last 3 seasons, a passer rating below 90 in all of them including below 50 when he was with us in 2018, over the last 3 seasons he averages 3 INT's and 10 passes defensed a season pretty good numbers.)

JJ Watt, DE
(Obviously this isn't super likely he'd have to take a very small deal but if he for some reason decided he wanted to take a small contract likely on a one year deal to sign with us and try to get a ring with us I wouldn't complain.
I'm not going to elaborate on him further as I think everybody here already knows the pros and cons to Watt).

Jack Fox, Punter.
(He was one of the better punters in the league last year and JK Scott hasn't really been all that great).

Cordarrelle Patterson, Return Man.
(Our return men haven't been able to do much Patterson is one of the best might really help out our Special teams)

Kyle Juszczyk, FB
(I doubt he hits Free agency honestly but if he somehow does it might be interesting to see how Lafleur could utilize him).

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't expect the Packers to be extremely active in free agency but they might be able to sign some bargains.

Aside of the players mentioned I might add tackle Kelvin Beachum, who mainly excels in pass protection, and cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman, who excelled with the Rams in the system Barry most likely plans to run, as cheap options to make a move.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There are lots of good names, but the guys that I like the most for what the Packers need are:

-Troy Hill, CB, LA: Inside/outsider versatility, familiar with the scheme, accomplished within in. Turns 30 in August; age could potentially keep his cost from getting out of control.

-Tyus Bowser, EDGE, BAL: The defense lacks a speed/edge bender, and Fangio/Staley have tended to use one. They also ask that player to drop fairly regularly. Bowser just fits.

-Derek Wolfe, DL, BAL: Wolfe has the length and run stuffing ability necessary to stabilize the DL next to Clark.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 22 appearances for the Saints since 2019, he only gave up a total of three sacks.

He's an NFL average guard. He's not bad and he's not great. He'll most likely get signed by a team desperate enough at guard that he'll be overpaid.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In 22 appearances for the Saints since 2019, he only gave up a total of three sacks.

For an interior offensive lineman, that's not a special number. I'm not saying it's horrible, but there's nothing shocking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts