Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A player that isn't being talked about enough, who I think would be an excellent signing is Matt Milano. Not sure how much it would cost, but he would solidify our LB corps and is in my opinion the best off ball LB available. Probably looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-12M per year, not sure how or even if we could fit that under the cap, but if we can its certainly worth a look.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah! A year or so back I read a few articles about the large differences in investigation intensity and penalties for white collar crimes such as embezzlement and hacking vs street crimes such as larceny and armed robbery .

Crazy part is that electronic crimes often don't even get reported, let alone prosecuted.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Golden Tate is released. We don't have the cash for anyone...but if we make moves and release funchess, I honestly wouldn't be opposed as much as I think he is a manchild in maturrity

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would we want Tate going into his age 33 season? In 12 games he couldn't manage 400 yds rec. I'm sure he has something left, but at what price point is the risk worth it?

D

Deleted member 6794

Is he first ballot? No, but how long he waits will ultimately be determined by how he finishes his last few years. Being next to Kenny I could se him putting up 8 sacks a year

Suh hasn't put up more than six sacks since leaving Detroit in 2014 while playing next to Aaron Donald with the Rams or on an elite front seven in Tampa. I highly doubt lining up next to Clark would elevate his play that much.

It seems we have to disagree on his chances to make it to Canton.

I respect your opinion on that. We all have different philosophies, but as for me, I'll take the guy who can just roll out of bed and be the superior player over the guy who while even working hard still shows a bevy of deficiencies in both coverage and run support.

While Randall might possess superior talent he hasn't proven to be a better player either in Cleveland or Seattle for whatever reasons.

A player that isn't being talked about enough, who I think would be an excellent signing is Matt Milano. Not sure how much it would cost, but he would solidify our LB corps and is in my opinion the best off ball LB available. Probably looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-12M per year, not sure how or even if we could fit that under the cap, but if we can its certainly worth a look.

I would be absolutely devastated if the Packers would spend that much cap space on Milano considering they have very limited cap space available.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Golden Tate and David Mayo released by the Giants.

Tate may have some left in the tank... Obviously has some history with us.

Dunno much about Mayo.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Tate may have some left in the tank
He'll be 33 before next season.
Dunno much about Mayo.
OLB with very few pass defenses, 2 career sacks, 1 career KR, and averages, except for one season, a tackle or two per game. Sounds like a special teamer. Didn't spend much time looking this up and don't think I'll spend more on this.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Gordon is 137 years old and still on his rookie contract. I'm just sayin.

Come on, you know someone had to do it. Might as well make it tongue in cheek before someone posts it seriously.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll be 33 before next season.

OLB with very few pass defenses, 2 career sacks, 1 career KR, and averages, except for one season, a tackle or two per game. Sounds like a special teamer. Didn't spend much time looking this up and don't think I'll spend more on this.

Sanders was 33 last year and didn't we try sign him?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but he was still good.

So what's the deal then? Are we just going to expect that Seattle will release DK Metcalf and he'll sign here for pennies on the dollar?

Sanders looked like he could be done when he was playing in Denver before he was traded. A change of scenery revitalized his career.

If we want a guy who can play in the middle (that we can afford) he's going to have issues with his resume. Tate, Humphrey's, hell Cobb even are going to be risks - but probably a better option than expecting an early draft pick to pan out right away.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So what's the deal then? Are we just going to expect that Seattle will release DK Metcalf and he'll sign here for pennies on the dollar?

Sanders looked like he could be done when he was playing in Denver before he was traded. A change of scenery revitalized his career.

If we want a guy who can play in the middle (that we can afford) he's going to have issues with his resume. Tate, Humphrey's, hell Cobb even are going to be risks - but probably a better option than expecting an early draft pick to pan out right away.

No, Sanders definitely did not look like he was done. He was a coveted trade target. Denver got a 3rd and a 4th for Sanders and a 5th.

And no, I am not expecting Metcalf to be released. I don't see what that's got to do with anything.

I was just pointing out that while there was interest in Sanders, who was old at the time, he was playing at a higher level than Cobb. That's all.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, Sanders definitely did not look like he was done. He was a coveted trade target. Denver got a 3rd and a 4th for Sanders and a 5th.

And no, I am not expecting Metcalf to be released. I don't see what that's got to do with anything.

I was just pointing out that while there was interest in Sanders, who was old at the time, he was playing at a higher level than Cobb. That's all.

Sanders averaged 50 yards a game and was fresh off an achilles injury in 2018. He was a risk. What he went for doesn't matter when you consider, when healthy, he is one of the better WR's in the game. My point was that he wasn't off the table when he was 33. Tate is 33. It's realistic that we wouldn't completely ignore Tate because he's older. We're not going to get a no-risk, no money down veteran WR who's going to help this offense IMO.

https://lombardiave.com/2021/03/05/packers-golden-tate-affordable-free-agent-signing/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sanders averaged 50 yards a game and was fresh off an achilles injury. He was a risk. What he went for doesn't matter when you consider, when healthy, he is one of the better WR's in the game. My point was that he wasn't off the table when he was 33. Tate is 33. It's realistic that we wouldn't completely ignore Tate because he's older. We're not going to get a no-risk, no money down veteran WR who's going to help this offense IMO.

https://lombardiave.com/2021/03/05/packers-golden-tate-affordable-free-agent-signing/

What he went for does matter because it tells us what his value was at that time.

The 49ers weren't acquiring him as a long term investment. His only worth was what he could offer immediately. Because he was a pending free agent.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What he went for does matter because it tells us what his value was at that time.

The 49ers weren't acquiring him as a long term investment. His only worth was what he could offer immediately. Because he was a pending free agent.

The value that year was screwed the second Atlanta traded Sanu for a 2nd. My opinion since that trade was that it completely altered the value for every WR, making players like Samuel, Robby Anderson, who may be coveted for their youth moreso than a guy like Sanders, off limits to Green Bay as there was no way we were going to trade a first to get those guys.

anyway... we're off topic.

Tate would be a good guy to bring in for a workout IMO. Same with Humphrey's.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The value that year was screwed the second Atlanta traded Sanu for a 2nd. My opinion since that trade was that it completely altered the value for every WR, making players like Samuel, Robby Anderson, who may be coveted for their youth moreso than a guy like Sanders, off limits to Green Bay as there was no way we were going to trade a first to get those guys.

anyway... we're off topic.

Tate would be a good guy to bring in for a workout IMO. Same with Humphrey's.

I wouldn’t much see the point in spending 2-3M on Tate to be a WR4. That assumes Lazard comes back. Just my two cents.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn’t much see the point in spending 2-3M on Tate to be a WR4. That assumes Lazard comes back. Just my two cents.

I think we'd be bringing him in if we felt he could be the WR2 or 3... Therein lies the importance of evaluating him. If they don't see that after a workout then there'd be no point.

D

Deleted member 6794

Over the last two seasons Tate hasn't put up better numbers than MVS or Lazard. I don't see any reason to bring in a declinig 33-year old receiver to reduce the playing time of the youngsters on the roster.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the last two seasons Tate hasn't put up better numbers than MVS or Lazard. I don't see any reason to bring in a declinig 33-year old receiver to reduce the playing time of the youngsters on the roster.

Bad take. Tate had shoddy QB play with Daniel Jones throwing him the football. IMO his numbers for the Giants can be thrown out. None of our current "youngsters" have developed into a reliable slot receiver. This team is win now. A player like Tate could help this offense (provided he's healthy and motivated) and should come cheap. Again, I think his upside could help - but he'd have to come in for a workout.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bad take. Tate had shoddy QB play with Daniel Jones throwing him the football. IMO his numbers for the Giants can be thrown out. None of our current "youngsters" have developed into a reliable slot receiver. This team is win now. A player like Tate could help this offense (provided he's healthy and motivated) and should come cheap. Again, I think his upside could help - but he'd have to come in for a workout.

Tate was only the #4 target for the Giants last season. I highly doubt he would provide any upside for the Packers at this point in his career.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tate was only the #4 target for the Giants last season. I highly doubt he would provide any upside for the Packers at this point in his career.

It's pretty well known that Tate was in the doghouse for demanding more targets early in the season last year. That, and with Jones at QB, explains his lack of opportunity. Not only that, Shepherd, Slayton and Engram (maybe a wash with Tonyan now which is crazy as Engram was a first rounder) would probably be upgrades over anybody we have already aside from Adams so no wonder Jones threw their way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

It's pretty well known that Tate was in the doghouse for demanding more targets early in the season last year. That, and with Jones at QB, explains his lack of opportunity. Not only that, Shepherd, Slayton and Engram (maybe a wash with Tonyan now which is crazy as Engram was a first rounder) would probably be upgrades over anybody we have already aside from Adams so no wonder Jones threw their way.

If Tate already complained about not receiving enough targets with the Giants I'm quite sure he would love being stuck behind Adams on the depth chart.

He's definitely not good enough anymore to potentially inherit some locker room issues with him.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Tate already complained about not receiving enough targets with the Giants I'm quite sure he would love being stuck behind Adams on the depth chart.

He's definitely not good enough anymore to potentially inherit some locker room issues with him.

What?

Tate was brought in and paid to be a #1 receiver after they traded Odell. You don't get targeted, you don't have stats to back up your contract and hence being released. If expectations are set, and obviously they would be because he's not Adams, then it's reasonable to expect he'd settle in to being a #2 or#3.

And nobody knows how good he could be with Rodgers. With Stafford he was a YAC monster and had multiple 1000 yard seasons. I wouldn't expect that, but I think he'd be a better slot receiver than anyone we have and may come cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts