Free Agent Targets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For an interior offensive lineman, that's not a special number. I'm not saying it's horrible, but there's nothing shocking about it.

PFF has graded him really low the last 2 years below 60 in both and below 50 in one I'd be interested to know how many pressures he gives up I suspect a lot.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Desmond King at $6 million per year would be a decent signing (though it does worry me that his last two teams didn't seem to want to keep him around). At that salary he only needs to be an average slot corner to be a great value.

Mike Hilton will probably get $4-$5 million a year and would also be a good value as a slot corner, I just think King has far more upside (King was a VERY good corner his first 2 years in the NFL).

Another name I hear talked about is Corey Davis, who would be fun to have at $13 million a year but: A) the Packers can't afford that and B) he's probably going to get more than that.

TY Hilton: I have no interest in him at anything close to a market rate.

KJ Wright: Probably will be a good value at ILB for whatever team signs him

Jonnu Smith: At $10 million will probably be a great value at TE but I don't see how the Packers could afford it

Gerald Everett: Could give you 85% of Jonnu Smith for half the price

Also, going through the list in free agency shows yet another reason that teams should just be drafting pass rushers or wide receivers in the first round every year (if they already have a QB). Packers need major help on the dline and I gotta say, in their price range, there are pretty much zero options.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We will probably see a lot of that. They will mortgage future cap space to add to the 2021 team and keep pushing while Rodgers is elite.

D

Deleted member 6794

In 22 appearances for the Saints since 2019, he only gave up a total of three sacks.

According to PFF Easton ranked 60th out of 68 guards in pass blocking efficiency last season.

Jonnu Smith: At $10 million will probably be a great value at TE but I don't see how the Packers could afford it

Most importantly the Packers don't need to make a run at Smith as they can bring back Tonyan for a reasonable deal.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It was pretty common knowledge that would happen.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Packers still need to make several more moves to even get under the cap in the first place.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most importantly the Packers don't need to make a run at Smith as they can bring back Tonyan for a reasonable deal.

Smith is better than Tonyan and running a 2 TE offense with Adams on the field, where one of the 2 TEs is a very strong receiving threat would be a big improvement. Tonyan is a reliable receiver, but he doesn't scare the defense because he's a reliable, mid-range target that isn't going to do much after the catch. Smith averaged 5.8 yards after the catch (higher than Darren Waller last year) while Tonyan averaged 4.3 yards after the catch. That's a pretty substantial difference.

If the options to improve the offense are to sign Corey Davis for $13m a year or Smith for $10m, I wouldn't have a problem if the Packers decided on Smith. Two TE sets (if both TEs can run routes and at least pretend to block) can be really difficult for opposing defenses because of all the options they create for the offense.

Edit: just saw the Spotrac is projecting a 5yr, $40m deal for Smith. If a team can sign Smith for $8m a year, that's a steal.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Does Adams sign new deal now to free up a ton of space? And would Rodgers follow

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut Preston, Wagner, Kirksey, Lowry, Funchess - extension to Adams (saving about 9.7M)...and we have some play.

Don't sign Williams if he gets above reasonable or Linsley back and we for sure can make some stuff happen in FA - albeit either one big play or two/three smaller ones.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we head into this offseason, i'm not sure Preston is cut. His play improved I think he can still be worth what he's making. We get some cap relief sure, but even "under performing" he still leaves a pretty decent void on the field and i'm no sure he was underperforming later in the year so much. that void needs to be replaced and I don't see anyone on our team that replaces it.

yes there is Gary and I think he should be on the field more, but historically if your OLBs are your pass rushers you better have 3 pretty capable ones on your roster at least.

With all the Oline draft picks last year I think they planned on replacing some Oline this year. Hinges on BakhT, but I think they planned on replacing Linsley because they knew he'd likelyl get more somewhere else. I'm 90% sure Wagner is cut, he should be. Seeing what I saw from him, I'd rather give a kid a shot and know we have to help him, than put him on the field again.

But if they figure it's half a season until DB is back in the lineup, if wagner is kept for the start, he'll be here until the end because after day 1 the cost is the same to us.

I'd be fine keeping Lowry if he wasn't making as much :) But he's likely gone, so is Kirksey.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted earlier on an article I read I can't remember by who, but identified through cuts, extensions, and restructures the Packers could save 71 million or so against the cap.
I don't know that they'd be willing to push that much into the future caps, but it is doable.
The reason I think that they don't is because they could have used 11 million out of Baks contract but only did 8.3.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I posted earlier on an article I read I can't remember by who, but identified through cuts, extensions, and restructures the Packers could save 71 million or so against the cap.
I don't know that they'd be willing to push that much into the future caps, but it is doable.
The reason I think that they don't is because they could have used 11 million out of Baks contract but only did 8.3.

This?
https://dairylandexpress.com/2021/02/10/packers-3-steps-cut-71-million-off-2021-salary-cap/

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All which is discussed there has been fleshed out on the forums as well.

It is honestly quite easy to do, but look to the Saints or the Eagles...and that is what pushing the cap back continually does to a team. I'm a fan of especially contract extensions to a player like Adams be done, I don't want him lacing up elsewhere in the remaining 2-4 years of his prime years left. Za'Darius I'm split on but could get behind the same type treatment of an extension - Amos I'm very much split on.

You won't see a Rodgers re-structure IMO, if for no other reason than male pride. It would take a massive hit to Gute if they did this as it would in essence fully admit the Love pick is not going to pan out as expected.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Snowed in, little to do. Was going to research Darnell *****. Where is the name mentioned?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know that the Packers are fairly cap strapped right now. Even if the cap ceiling is higher than anticipated, they are going to be towards the bottom of the league. What they're willing to do to create space in 2021, and how much space that ends up being, I don't rightly know. But given the stage of Rodgers' career and the overall quality of the team at the moment, I would not be surprised to see them get very creative in order to add some help...

This is a good list, anyone else who might come available at Right Tackle?

IMO FA should be used this year not as a get the team over the top with a splash signing, those rarely work, but as a way to set up and protect our draft board. Looking back through the last 30 years the weakest draft picks in the first 2 rounds have often been aimed at immediate needs which often require the team to overlook more gifted players.

Ted Thompson needed either a second pass rusher or a nickel back but valued those positions lowly enough that he drafted Jordy Nelson after trading out of the first round. He then hedged his quarterback bets with Brian Brohm, who failed, and drafted Patrick Lee as that immediate need filler who never became more than an unreliable backup.

Finding competent help at CB and RT should free us up to take more of a BVA approach and perhaps upgrade areas where we are already solid.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMO FA should be used this year not as a get the team over the top with a splash signing, those rarely work, but as a way to set up and protect our draft board. Looking back through the last 30 years the weakest draft picks in the first 2 rounds have often been aimed at immediate needs which often require the team to overlook more gifted players.

Ted Thompson needed either a second pass rusher or a nickel back but valued those positions lowly enough that he drafted Jordy Nelson after trading out of the first round. He then hedged his quarterback bets with Brian Brohm, who failed, and drafted Patrick Lee as that immediate need filler who never became more than an unreliable backup.

Finding competent help at CB and RT should free us up to take more of a BVA approach and perhaps upgrade areas where we are already solid.

I don't think the Packers have the ability to make any splash signings. Hopefully they can find an effective starter at corner (either outside or slot) and someone to improve the pass rush on the dline, and I recognize that that's a lot to ask with the cap space the Packers are probably going to be working with. Packers oline will be weaker next year than it was this year but I don't think RT is as high on the list of needed help as corner (where the team has one proven starter) or dline (again, one good starter). A great QB can get away with a decent oline; it's nice to have an amazing oline but it's not necessary with a good QB.

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers have the ability to make any splash signings. Hopefully they can find an effective starter at corner (either outside or slot) and someone to improve the pass rush on the dline, and I recognize that that's a lot to ask with the cap space the Packers are probably going to be working with. Packers oline will be weaker next year than it was this year but I don't think RT is as high on the list of needed help as corner (where the team has one proven starter) or dline (again, one good starter). A great QB can get away with a decent oline; it's nice to have an amazing oline but it's not necessary with a good QB.

While I agree that there's no way Packers sign a RT, I disagree that oline is not important

The Bucs just beat the Packers and Chiefs back to back with 4 man pass rush, Barrett and JPP have a field day in those games

I would guess the move for the Packers is keep Turner and Bakhtiari and draft a tackle in the 1st or 2nd round, I don't even believe they can afford Wagner

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that there's no way Packers sign a RT, I disagree that oline is not important

The Bucs just beat the Packers and Chiefs back to back with 4 man pass rush, Barrett and JPP have a field day in those games

I would guess the move for the Packers is keep Turner and Bakhtiari and draft a tackle in the 1st or 2nd round, I don't even believe they can afford Wagner

I never said it wasn't important, just that it didn't need to be elite. I would also add that the Bucs played the Packers without the best LT in the NFL and the Chiefs has only one starting olineman during the Super Bowl.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

You will hear Taylor Moton's name a lot in tackle discussions. I doubt he ever gets to market, and if he does he will price out the Packers.

Ty Sambrailo is a guy who has a lot of experience in similar offenses who could potentially be a bridge, but he's not a solution.

Honestly, I would prefer to keep Turner and draft someone. I think Turner is capable enough at RT that they would not be boxed into drafting someone immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts