1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Franklins neck

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    What a drag. Reminds me of the Murphy situation from a few years back. Tons of potential cut off due to bad luck...

2. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,000
    By all appearances Franklin is a class act. What is amazing to me is that the Packers gave no indication that he would be out of football this year, let alone forever. I suppose Franklin knew it, but why no information to the public? Why the secrecy? It doesn't reflect well on the medical staff if they've known for months that a player is finished but the organization makes no announcement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +157
    Another player lost to another neck injury.

Its like a broken record..

4. Greenbayphil

Greenbayphil Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +157
    I think it's up to Franklin to decide when he wants to announce his retirement and no one else.

5. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +371
  6. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +238
    It sucks bad for Franklin and I feel bad for him, but lets be honest, how much of an impact was he going to make on the team this coming season? He was pretty much planted behind Lacy and Starks on the depth chart. He wasnt going to get many carries. As far as special teams go, we have a couple of other players that I think would be returning kicks over him.

I feel bad for the guy, but in the end, this is not a huge loss at all. Lacy/Starks/Harris will be more than fine for us.

7. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,907
    What a damn shame. I don't know where he would have ended up - on the Packers' depth chart or elsewhere but what a shame he won't find out. I wonder if he's another victim of spinal stenosis?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +69
    Does anyone have comparable stats between the Packers and neck injuries for the rest of the league ? The never ending neck injury saga reminds me of Lombardi's "what the hell is going on out there".

9. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +784
    The medical staff is bound by law (HIPAA) not to disclose medical information to the public. In absolutely NO WAY does this reflect poorly on the medical staff. On the contrary, it reflects very highly of their professional standards. By extension, the Packers are also bound to confidentiality until such time that the player is comfortable with making it public.

10. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    He already announced retirement today

11. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +371
    You should read the whole post. He was responding to someone asking why the information wasn't released earlier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,215
    That may be what you saw in the Pac 12. That's not what I've seen in the NFL. The point is now moot.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. TeamTundra

TeamTundra Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +89
    Bummer. I was really looking forward to see him play this year. I suppose one piece of good news is
    DuJuan Harris has shown a nice burst in OTA's.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +152
    There is no way of knowing what his place would have been. He looked good in his short time last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Pack-12

Pack-12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +43
    So explain how he resembled Brandon Jackson at all. He only had like 2 runs that didn't gain yards and he broke like 6 tackles in only 1 half of football against a good defense. So apparently you either don't know what you are looking at or you just cannot see.

16. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I am unphased. Severe neck injuries forcing promising players into early retirement is kinda the norm around here.

17. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    At what point do players get afraid of being drafted by GB because of this kind of ****? Seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +371
    I think you're being a little quick to judge after seeing only him play only 62 snaps in the NFL. Though I suppose it helps make this news suck less to think like that.

19. NorthWestCheeseHead

Ratings:
    +371
    Damn it, we need a "SAD" rating! xD

20. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    Sorry... It's hard when looking on the phone sometimes and it goes to the most recent post

21. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +247
    Well unfortunately JF won't get a chance to prove me right or you wrong. This is one of those rare cases where I bet you would have been glad to been proven wrong. From everything I read Jonathan sounds like a wonderful young man who has aspirations of making a profound impact on his community (L.A.). As a Christian man I believe everything good and bad happens for a reason and that God has a plan for his life. Again, this debate could last forever as the sample size will end up being considered his total body of work. The one thing I am sure we agree about is wishing nothing for the best for Jonathan as he enters this next chapter in his young life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AKCheese

AKCheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +109
    Prime example of why these guys have to make hay while they can. Hopefully he had some good insurance and has a decent education and work ethic to go forward on

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,215
    Suit yourself. It doesn't matter now.

24. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,215
    It was my thinking before he got hurt, so "less sucking" is not an issue for me on a team level.

So, maybe he'll get an intern job in the LA mayor's office, get his masters degree, work his way up the bureaucracy, eventually win a city council seat, then maybe the state senate seat, and then achieve his dream of becoming mayor.
    I say this without irony: if that's what he wants, he's getting a 5-10 year head start in pursuing his dream.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,215
    I love being proven wrong if it leads to more wins. I'm not a braggart nor an "I told you so guy" as those 3000+ posts would attest, but I'll make a rare exception...I'm right a lot more often than wrong.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014