Franklins neck

H

HardRightEdge

The writer should have also mentioned Johnny Jolly as another neck injury victim.

H

HardRightEdge

You never want to see a guy get hurt no matter how much you dislike him as a player. You'd rather see him just get out-competed for a roster spot.

That said, losing Franklin is a non-event; he likely was not going to make this team anyway if Harris is back to 100% (which is the current happy talk). At best Franklin is a third down back who runs soft and doesn't block very well.

D

Deleted member 6794

You never want to see a guy get hurt no matter how much you dislike him as a player. You'd rather see him just get out-competed for a roster spot.

That said, losing Franklin is a non-event; he likely was not going to make this team anyway if Harris is back to 100% (which is the current happy talk). At best Franklin is a third down back who runs soft and doesn't block very well.

I think Franklin could have given Harris a run for his money. It seems like that won´t happen though.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're deep at RB this year, but that can change in a hurry at that position. If he's on the PUP this season and can come back next season then that's actually pretty sweet for us. They shouldn't cut him unless they're 100% sure he'll never play again. He's got a lot of talent and seems like the kind of character guy any team would be happy to have.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree with the assertion that Franklin is nothing more than a 3rd down back. I just don't get how you can put that label on the kid when there is such a small sample size to go off of. I guess it's maybe the fact that he isn't the size of Lacy and Starks but the kid is 200+ lbs and carries it well. The one true chance he had to show out was the Bengals game and we all know how that ended (killer fumble...DOH!) but he did break 100 yards on only 13 carries and a touch. The fumble was a back breaker and I know he had some issues with the rock beyond that game but that is very common for rooks and quite a few vets as well. Ball security is something that can be worked on...just ask the ******* Barber brother. Also, if you look at his stats from college he showed he can be an every down back with almost 800 totes for a nearly 6 yard average. Again, I know he is not a giant but he is certainly no Dexter McCluster or something. Speaking of fumbles, he fumbled an eye popping 18 times during his first 3 years at UCLA but worked his tail off and only coughed it up once his senior year on 282 carries. That shows that he can and is willing to work on his craft and with time, work and adjusting to "the league" I think he could become a reliable option. Look, I am not screaming from the rooftop that this kid is the next Jim Brown but I just don't think it's fair to label him as a 3rd down or scat back type when we have such little evidence to go off of. For grins and giggles I posted a link below from the Bengals game (sans the fumble of course) and I think if you watch it you will see a guy moving the pile and running hard. I think we can all agree that regardless of the outcome of this debate we all hope and pray this young man gets a chance to show everyone exactly what kind of running back he is.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The return key is cool. It helps us enjoy your posts by separating your thoughts into paragraphs.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember reading last year that safety Sean Richardson may have had a career threatening neck injury
and he was able to resume his career. Hopefully the same will be true with J. Franklin. From my
understanding Richardson needed surgery and so far Franklin has not, so hopefully that is a good
sign.

D

Deleted member 6794

I remember reading last year that safety Sean Richardson may have had a career threatening neck injury
and he was able to resume his career. Hopefully the same will be true with J. Franklin. From my
understanding Richardson needed surgery and so far Franklin has not, so hopefully that is a good
sign.

I think that only means that Franklin suffered a different injury than Richardson and Finley. Maybe the Packers will let us know by the start of training camp.

H

HardRightEdge

I have to disagree with the assertion that Franklin is nothing more than a 3rd down back. I just don't get how you can put that label on the kid when there is such a small sample size to go off of.

I believe there is a sufficient "sample" of eye tests to judge that he runs like Brandon Jackson, while not bringing Jackson's blocking skills to the field.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe there is a sufficient "sample" of eye tests to judge that he runs like Brandon Jackson, while not bringing Jackson's blocking skills to the field.

How so? In Franklins small sample he ran like an elusive guy with good vision and burst who was also capable of breaking tackles and falling forward. You must have had a high opinion of Brandon Jackson if Franklins sample reminds you of him.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very tough on a young player to be out of the sport he loves. I feel bad for him. Has there been any real information on the exact "neck injury" that he had? The secrecy surrounding injury in the NFL drives me nuts.

Reaction score
Bad news for the Packers and bad news for Franklin! :(

I still expected the Packers to put him on the PUP-list, but the injury is probably worse than initially expected. :(
He just announced his retirement so no PUP/IR lists for him... He will be going home and living out his days as a regular citizen :(

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had him penciled in on the 52, I thought he showed alot of talent in the cinci game last year. Too bad, what a short career.

steffenmn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wauw, very sad news. There's just so many unanswered quistions.
But what a great person, and i'm sure he has a plan in life.

Sendt fra min GT-I9195 med Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts