Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Besides getting off to a bit of a rocky start early in the season, I think the Special Teams units did quite well and I am glad that ST Coach Rich Bisaccia is being retained. I am just curious, what did you see or read that made you want him gone?
Yes he got off to a bad start but Nixon was the only improvement that came on late, I did not see a lot of improvement in KO and punt return, kicks were getting blocked, Mason is part of ST, touchbacks down, overall what is the major ST reason to not try another coach

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he got off to a bad start but Nixon was the only improvement that came on late, I did not see a lot of improvement in KO and punt return, kicks were getting blocked, Mason is part of ST, touchbacks down, overall what is the major ST reason to not try another coach
I'm inclined to agree that the only appreciable gain was when they started using Nixon over others, including (ugh!) Amari Rodgers. They just simply didn't understand lane integrity when it came to kick and punt coverage.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
GB was the worst teams on KO and Punt return yds 1415 this season that would almost equal 83 yds a game

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB was the worst teams on KO and Punt return yds 1415 this season that would almost equal 83 yds a game
Wow, that's bad, 83 yds a game? And considering the long returns Nixon had, it was really bad prior. Too obviously JB isn't the only one that needs to be given walking papers.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Football Outsiders the Packers finished with the 17th best special teams this season after being dead last in 2021.

Overall the units significantly improved in a single season, therefore I don't understand anyone calling for Bisaccia to be fired.

The team allowing the most kickoff return yards this season is a bit misleading as they were last in touchback percentage by a significant margin. Although the average starting position of their opponents after a kickoff (26.32 yards, 28th) wasn't much better.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Football Outsiders the Packers finished with the 17th best special teams this season after being dead last in 2021.

Overall the units significantly improved in a single season, therefore I don't understand anyone calling for Bisaccia to be fired.

The team allowing the most kickoff return yards this season is a bit misleading as they were last in touchback percentage by a significant margin. Although the average starting position of their opponents after a kickoff (26.32 yards, 28th) wasn't much better.
32 to 17 is a definite improvement. If we had been 17 last season we may have been in the SB.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense was average in both points and yards given up. That's unacceptable for a team with 7 first round draft picks and the second highest salary cap committment to the defense. Most of the starters have shown elite play over extended periods, but yet, the defense and especially the pass rush was mediocre. Joe Barry doesn't seem to known how to use the talent at his disposal. MLF has stated that he likes "continuity" in his staff when endorsing Joe Barry to return for the 2023 season. I wish he valued performance more than "continuity."

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense was average in both points and yards given up. That's unacceptable for a team with 7 first round draft picks and the second highest salary cap committment to the defense. Most of the starters have shown elite play over extended periods, but yet, the defense and especially the pass rush was mediocre. Joe Barry doesn't seem to known how to use the talent at his disposal. MLF has stated that he likes "continuity" in his staff when endorsing Joe Barry to return for the 2023 season. I wish he valued performance more than "continuity."
I used to be a Lefleur supporter. That opinion is beginning to change.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The average return for each kick and each punt, is far more important to evaluate things, than the total return yards that you are referring to. Since one team may have kicked off and/or punted a lot more than other teams.

Packers ave. yards gained on Kickoffs: 25.6 (4th highest in NFL)
Packers ave. yards gained on punt returns: 9 (15th)

Packers ave. yards given up on KO's: 23.2 (11th)
Packers ave. yards given up on punts: 9.5 (21st)

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers defense was average in both points and yards given up. That's unacceptable for a team with 7 first round draft picks and the second highest salary cap committment to the defense.

Just for the record, according to Over The Cap the Packers ranked 12th in cap space allocated towards the defense in 2023.

Packers ave. yards given up on KO's: 23.2 (11th)

According to the league's website that ranked 22nd in the league this season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to be a Lefleur supporter. That opinion is beginning to change.
I never saw him as a very strong coach, but was smart enough to get things done. Now i'm not so sure of that either. Used to give more of a pass on offensive play calls because he was learning players strengths, we didn't have good flow sometimes due to poor execution etc. But we still really don't have any identity on offense and people chalk it up to Rodgers changing plays, but in some of the biggest moments, including the end of this year, those were coaches calls, not Rodgers' changes.

SLow to move on from Amari, a change I would have made last year already. Drayton, I mean by mid season it was pretty apparent it was ALWAYS something. nothing was ever fixed and it seemed that things that might hurt a team 2-3 times all year hurt us every single week. now Joe Barry. This defense underperformed all year and with the slew of 2nd and 3rd string QB's we faced during parts of it, they should have been absolutely soul crushing dominant for a while. We never came close. He's doing less with more and he's had time. Now it's time to move on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just for the record, according to Over The Cap the Packers ranked 12th in cap space allocated towards the defense in 2023.

According to the league's website that ranked 22nd in the league this season.
I was looking at the NFL site. However, it seems I reversed the numbers from worst to best. :D You are correct, the kick coverage unit ranked 22nd in yards given up per kick.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never saw him as a very strong coach, but was smart enough to get things done. Now i'm not so sure of that either. Used to give more of a pass on offensive play calls because he was learning players strengths, we didn't have good flow sometimes due to poor execution etc. But we still really don't have any identity on offense and people chalk it up to Rodgers changing plays, but in some of the biggest moments, including the end of this year, those were coaches calls, not Rodgers' changes.

SLow to move on from Amari, a change I would have made last year already. Drayton, I mean by mid season it was pretty apparent it was ALWAYS something. nothing was ever fixed and it seemed that things that might hurt a team 2-3 times all year hurt us every single week. now Joe Barry. This defense underperformed all year and with the slew of 2nd and 3rd string QB's we faced during parts of it, they should have been absolutely soul crushing dominant for a while. We never came close. He's doing less with more and he's had time. Now it's time to move on.
Rodgers has always successfully been able to change plays and his offense responded for years. This year it flopped on both his end and the players as well. That final INT he threw with an all out blitz made me think of a preseason game with all rookies out there. Watson for one should not have been running a fly pattern when he saw that blitz coming. He should have stopped and turned inside short giving his QB time to find him. And Rodgers could have should have changed the play or at least called timeout. QBs and their receivers should have this worked out ahead if time.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That leaves little to expand on. I agree.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"Claps hands". This puts it perfectly, 'nuff said.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like to see Gute Fire, both Lafleur and Barry.

The large amount of players that have regressed this year, coupled with inconsistent performance by so many and lack of discipline tells me that the players don't respect Lafleur either as a coach or as a man and or bouth which leads me to believe that next season we may see much of the same.

I hope I'm totally wrong about this.

As for Barry I'm not sure if he is the one behind the D# turnaround or are ware there other forces at work and even if he is he is far to slow to react and solve problems in my opinion.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like to see Gute Fire, both Lafleur and Barry.

The large amount of players that have regressed this year, coupled with inconsistent performance by so many and lack of discipline tells me that the players don't respect Lafleur either as a coach or as a man and or bouth which leads me to believe that next season we may see much of the same.

I hope I'm totally wrong about this.

As for Barry I'm not sure if he is the one behind the D# turnaround or are ware there other forces at work and even if he is he is far to slow to react and solve problems in my opinion.
The team as a whole lacks leadership and discipline.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't get the impression that the players don't respect MLF at all this season. It was pretty obvious Barry lost the team on the defensive side of the ball during stretches this season though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You can't just keep firing HC's, just to fire them. Big Mike was a good HC, but he had gotten a bit set in and stale, a change was needed. While I agree that it is time for Matt to let Barry go, he has done a pretty good job navigating Rodgers and the limited tools he has been given by Gute at TE and WR. MLF took over for McCarthy after 2 consecutive 9 loss seasons. Since taking over, MLF has gone 47-19, with one bad season, that being this one. I can think of many ways that the Packers lost games this year, and those loses all aren't on MLF.

Just for S & G's.....those wanting MLF fired, who do you replace him with?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not ready to fire MLF just yet. I would give him one more season. If his teams continue to choke in big games along with his questionable decisions in those games, it would be enough to say bye bye. I don't care about his win-lose record if all that does it set the team up for a choke. He's badly mismanaged his coaching staff as well as his in-game decision making. Those are grounds to fire him but I think he deserves one more chance to learn from his mistakes.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not ready to fire MLF just yet. I would give him one more season. If his teams continue to choke in big games along with his questionable decisions in those games, it would be enough to say bye bye. I don't care about his win-lose record if all that does it set the team up for a choke. He's badly mismanaged his coaching staff as well as his in-game decision making. Those are grounds to fire him but I think he deserves one more chance to learn from his mistakes.
If we keep playing like this past year; we'll be lucky to be in a big game.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd honestly pay more to get Dan Quinn from Cowboys.

I assume you want Quinn as head coach as there's no reason to believe he would leave the Cowboys to be a defensive coordinator with another team.

Overall, he didn't have a lot of success with the Falcons, going 43-42 over five plus seasons before being fired and making the playoffs only twice. In addition fans complaining about MLF choking in big games would love the team hiring Quinn as he was the one in charge as Atlanta blew a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl to lose to the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts