Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can imagine many of these people baggin on rodgers for missing OTA's are the same one's that only show up to the company picnic for free booze and complain about all the new hires not knowing anything and having to teach them where to clock in LOL

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can imagine many of these people baggin on rodgers for missing OTA's are the same one's that only show up to the company picnic for free booze and complain about all the new hires not knowing anything and having to teach them where to clock in LOL
Ummm... what? He gets $50 mil and like someone already said he had 4 new WRs. Skipping OTA's and the preseason, (which he had $50mil reasons not to play in) was not a decision that bore anything positive during massive stretches this year. He was off or very much not in sync with his receivers on most plays.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I would like to know the estimated time line when decisions will be made on the FO, Coaches, & players we have the 15th pick in the draft, are they going to waste it? Finally I would not release Nijman from the team, he should have a permanent place on the practice squad, because that man needs a LOT of practice

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would like to know the estimated time line when decisions will be made on the FO, Coaches, & players we have the 15th pick in the draft, are they going to waste it?
Since I posted it earlier today, here are the key dates.

...the team has a lot of decisions to make between now and the start of the new league year in regards to free agents, cap, franchise tags and scouting in general. Rodgers decision could impact all of those. If you don't think Rodgers yearly decision, who is currently under contract, doesn't impact the Packers plans in a pretty big way, you are fooling yourself. Sure, they can make all sorts of contingency plans centering around him playing another season, him retiring or him demanding a trade. However, that is once again, leaving his team twisting in the wind, focusing on all the things that might happen and then have to happen, depending on which of the 3 scenarios occur. I would think that their time and energy would be better spent if they knew his decision, sooner rather than later and well before the start of the new league year.

Feb. 21-March 7: Teams may use the franchise or transition tag on impending unrestricted free agents.

Feb. 28-March 6: NFL Scouting Combine (Indianapolis)

March 7: Colleges may begin hosting pro days.

March 13 (noon) through March 15 (3:59 p.m.): Clubs may enter contract negotiations with impending unrestricted free agents. Contracts may not be executed until the start of the new league year at 4 p.m. on March 15.

March 15 (prior to 4 p.m.): Clubs must submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents. If a qualifying offer is not extended, those players will become unrestricted free agents at the start of the new league year.

March 15 (prior to 4 p.m.): All teams must be under the 2023 salary cap.

March 15 (4 p.m.): The 2023 NFL league year begins. Unrestricted free agent contracts and trades agreed to prior to the start of the new league year can be executed

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummm... what? He gets $50 mil and like someone already said he had 4 new WRs. Skipping OTA's and the preseason, (which he had $50mil reasons not to play in) was not a decision that bore anything positive during massive stretches this year. He was off or very much not in sync with his receivers on most plays.
Doubs, Watson, Watkins all
Missed more time in season than Rodgers missed Olof otas. Rodgers didn’t skip the preseason, and you heard me, you know who are and you know I’m right lol

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of anyone's thoughts on it, the defense we employ hurts us more than helps, and the guy in charge of it has never really been that successful, based on stats.

How can we even begin to imagine that it's getting better, when we've seen the same failures every year, under two different coaches, considered to be gurus in it's application?

I'm in favor of reworking the defense, to a more conventional 4-3, but that's probably never going to happen, unless there's a complete change of defensive philosophy.
Excellent evaluation!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I never really like to say "I told you so", but prior to the Packers 4 game winning streak, I did say that one of the pitfalls to putting together such a streak, was that it might keep Joe Barry in Green Bay. Sadly, I think I was right.

MLF really needs to sit down, read this article, crunch the numbers and stop giving Barry so much credit for the "end of season success."

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind also that while the defense DID look a lot better over that stretch they went against…

Justin Fields and a bunch of tackling dummies filling out the offense
Baker Mayfield at home
Half a game of Tua dealing with his second or third concussion this season
Kirk Cousins at home

And meanwhile they flopped against teams led by…
Daniel Jones
Zach Wilson
Taylor Heinicke
Ryan Tannehill
Etc

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Keep in mind also that while the defense DID look a lot better over that stretch they went against…

Justin Fields and a bunch of tackling dummies filling out the offense
Baker Mayfield at home
Half a game of Tua dealing with his second or third concussion this season
Kirk Cousins at home

And meanwhile they flopped against teams led by…
Daniel Jones
Zach Wilson
Taylor Heinicke
Ryan Tannehill
Etc
Good breakdown and was thinking that myself and it comes back to Barry and the defense being way too inconsistent from week to week. Too much talent to not be able to make adjustments each week and in each game, to not have more consistent results from game to game. It's actually something that has plagued the Packers for many years, a defense that tends to crap the bed far too often. Whether it was for an entire game, just a quarter, half or one series, inconsistencies can cost you games.

I also think that a really solid offense for a long time helped to cover up a lot of the deficiencies of the defense. This year the offense was the one crapping the bed far too often, yet the Defense still didn't step up (enough) when they needed to.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 4 new receivers it would have been a benefit, for sure. Rodgers' best years had him attending OTA's. At $50,000,000 is that expecting too much?

Correlation or causation?

Rodgers attended more OTAs when he was younger and got more benefit from them.

I expect OTAs for young players and new players a glorified orientation:

1. This is how we break the huddle
2. This is what we call a slant, a go, etc.
3. Splits and alignments calls.
4. Bathrooms are over there.

Training camp practice are the important reps.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not to mention in ‘21 he missed OTAs AND mandatory minicamp and followed it up with a #1 seed and league mvp.

If missing 6-9 days of OTAs with *some* of his new receivers explains the difference between #1 seed and MVP vs missing playoffs and a career worst year then I just don’t know, man.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I think you and some others are putting way too much stock on what you think the OTA's would do for Aaron Rodgers himself, while forgetting/underselling what they might do for the young/new players and their relationship with their QB (if he is present). That in turn helps the team and ultimately, probably Rodgers too. I get people thinking "heck they have so much to learn, its not like they would be running full routes and catching passes from A-Rod in the early going." Probably not, but they would be meeting with him, going over the playbook with and hearing him talk about the subtle things as well as just the offense in general. As opposed to a later date when the FHOF makes his first appearance in camp and all the bonding begins.

A team is made up of a lot of players, individual pieces of the puzzle I call them. If you don't think that Rodgers is THE biggest piece of that puzzle and the offense centers around him, then you haven't been following the Packers much in the last 16 or so seasons. The final thing that I think Rodgers showing up for OTA's does is it cements his commitment to the team and his teammates.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the do run the routes and go over the nomenclature of the plays, and deal with the concepts, and even signals at the line of scrimmage, during the early camps. It's up to the players, after that camp, to digest all the information and come into the mandatory camp ready to run the plays. That's when they straighten out any misconceptions the new people have, and show the changes that they want for experienced pros as well. To blow that first camp off is just plain stupid, regardless of what anyone thinks. You need to learn the system, then go over it to insure you've got it right, then arrive in fall camp ready to actually practice, not sit around scratching your head as to what your job is. To get there, you need to go over all of it with the people who will actually be playing the positions on the field, during the season.

For the life of me, I can't understand why nobody understands this. It takes time to learn what needs to be done on the field.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We missed the playoffs by one game. We lost 5 games by one possession. No one knows if those OTAs could have been the difference between one miscommunication and one TD that would have turned one of those 5 losses into a win.

Professionals prepare to remove chances and have no excuses or have anything left on the table that “they didn’t do”.

Kobe even in his final season would practice hours after games, games! Brady when headed to Tampa practicing with new receivers before he should have….I will never be convinced that Rodgers needs the practices but his team does and he is their captain.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Wow.

As @rodell330 would type

Smh

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have choked 4 years running under MLF. Its not entirely his fault but he needs to manage his coaching staff much better. in 2021, the season was wrecked because he kept Mo Drayton around too long. He should know thst he can do better than Joe Barry. If a team can upgrade a player position, its a normal course of business to do so. I wish the same mentality was used to evaluate coaches. Loyalty doesn't stand for much when evaluating players and it shouldn't for coaches either. Finding an upgrade for DC shouldn't be too difficult. There are currently several candidates available that have had more success as a DC than Joe Barry.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
The Packers have choked 4 years running under MLF. Its not entirely his fault but he needs to manage his coaching staff much better. in 2021, the season was wrecked because he kept Mo Drayton around too long. He should know thst he can do better than Joe Barry. If a team can upgrade a player position, its a normal course of business to do so. I wish the same mentality was used to evaluate coaches. Loyalty doesn't stand for much when evaluating players and it shouldn't for coaches either. Finding an upgrade for DC shouldn't be too difficult. There are currently several candidates available that have had more success as a DC than Joe Barry.
Who are they

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers have choked since 2011

Been many coaches and players that have changed

This isnt just on MLF

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Professionals prepare to remove chances and have no excuses or have anything left on the table that “they didn’t do”.

Kobe even in his final season would practice hours after games, games! Brady when headed to Tampa practicing with new receivers before he should have….I will never be convinced that Rodgers needs the practices but his team does and he is their captain.
so why aren't they practicing today? or tomorrow? Should they be practicing right now? I'm sure there is something to go over, afterall, they just lost to the lions on a win and in game. They clearly have work to do.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so why aren't they practicing today? or tomorrow? Should they be practicing right now? I'm sure there is something to go over, afterall, they just lost to the lions on a win and in game. They clearly have work to do.

So let's be reasonable with this and not unreasonable. I'm merely illustrating how greats, even established greats, still chose to commit to practicing. Folks blaming not attending some workouts and OTAs and such for the failings of Rodgers and the season are ignorant...however it is also ignorant to pretend additional work, reps, hand signals, discussions while guys are absorbing the playbook, NFL pace or Green Bay style (free agents) would not have made at minimum some positive returns.

I am firmly in the camp of not having Rodgers back, but IF he is back I'd love to see him show just how dedicated to this endeavor he is and obtaining another ring by showing up when he doesn't need to some or showing up when many don't think he will.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Well said. I don't recall the date it happened, but with the NFLPA and owners agreeing to practice less, every opportunity that the team is allowed by rules to get together, mandatory or not, is just that much more important. Toss in this idea, that seems to have been installed by many teams, including the Packers, of not playing a lot of starters during preseason and that work becomes just that much more important.

I'm tired of hearing "the season just started, the Packers need some time to jell." Really? It just started for the other teams too and they whipped our asses! Fans used to complain about Favre having his own locker away from players and his waffling for a few years on to retire or not to retire. Some of those same fans are probably now defending Rodgers yearly offseason antics.

In the day and age that a guy is paid $50M to lead a team, if he can't find the time or desire to show up at optional practices or meetings, even if it is just to hang out and get to know the new guys, I'm totally underwhelmed by his team mentality and hope he never mentions "this team needs to jell better."

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Our leader. Dude got paid 50 mil with all new receivers, rookies mind you, no offensive TE, a broken OLine and you think he shouldn’t have shown up? You’re smoking crack. I’ll bet you blame MLF for all the miscues, Ill timed passes, over throws, under throws, dropped passes and **** route running too.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Our leader. Dude got paid 50 mil with all new receivers, rookies mind you, no offensive TE, a broken OLine and you think he shouldn’t have shown up? You’re smoking crack. I’ll bet you blame MLF for all the miscues, Ill timed passes, over throws, under throws, dropped passes and **** route running too.
actually I don't, blame MLF for all of that, or even close. I don't smoke crack, that's whack. and don't be upset that you had to teach chuck how to make copies late one night and Rodgers didn't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.