Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? How do you know it was Barry's decision to change things up and how to change them up?
Even if it wasn't his decision, it would still be his job to implement the changes I'd guess. So, he should at least get partial credit for doing what he was told to do.

I'm definitely not a Barry fan, but I don't want to cut him off at the knees at this juncture of the season. Let's see where it goes from here. I might be more than willing to send him packing along about 1 AM Monday morning, if they really lay an egg. The whole thing revolves around, "What have you done for me lately?," in my mind.

Reaction score
Why? How do you know it was Barry's decision to change things up and how to change them up?
How do you know it wasn’t? Our HC is supposed to manage these 3 phases. You don’t actually think Matt isn’t involved with our Coordinators on a regular basis do you? That’s his primary job

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the HC might have had a talk with Barry and said we need to play more of your man schemes or more aggressive, or something different within his scheme. But I can't believe he's being told how to run a defense by someone else. If that's the case, what's the point? Fire him already.

Reaction score
Even if it wasn't his decision, it would still be his job to implement the changes I'd guess. So, he should at least get partial credit for doing what he was told to do.

I'm definitely not a Barry fan, but I don't want to cut him off at the knees at this juncture of the season. Let's see where it goes from here. I might be more than willing to send him packing along about 1 AM Monday morning, if they really lay an egg. The whole thing revolves around, "What have you done for me lately?," in my mind.
I’m with you on that one. Consistency is a key component of a great Defense. That last sentence kinda reflects that concept. If we can go 5 contests in a row creating disfunction for opponents? We can go 9 contests imo.

Again. Its fine for all of us to criticize our D as a whole for not meeting expectations, I get that. After 4 weeks of excuses (mostly outside GB), I don’t want to hear anymore IF our D plays well against arguably the best OL in the NFL.

I was also thinking. It would be nice for our Offense to come out and just win a game for us once in awhile. :coffee:

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you know it wasn’t? Our HC is supposed to manage these 3 phases. You don’t actually think Matt isn’t involved with our Coordinators on a regular basis do you? That’s his primary job
I dont know and didnt say I did know

Reaction score
I dont know and didnt say I did know
It would be interesting to hear what was said behind closed doors. My guess is Matt told him to get his Ship together or Ship out! Since then.. she’s been Smooth Sailing :whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

And Rodgers' poor play early in the season

Rodgers performance definitely contributed to the offense struggling but as I have mentioned before that was to be expected with a lack of talent at pass catchers.

Public officials like judges are expected to avoid the appearance of impropriety. I see Rodgers going to OTAs in the same way. You may be right that it wouldn‘t have made a difference, but its not a good look. The team was fielding a bunch of rookie receivers that needed to get comfortable with the offense and with Rodgers. Was he required to go ? No. Would it have shown a higher level of dedication after just accepting that huge contract? Yes.

I agree Rodgers not showing up for OTAs wasn't a good look in the public view. But I don't think that's as important as many seem to believe.

Listen. Our D hadn’t played to expectation (top 5) I’ll admit that. Yet some of this incessant picking is bordering frivolous. Anyone can see we are playing much better as of late. No opponent in December/Jan has scored more than 20 points on us. 17.0 per contest over Dec-Jan is pretty impressive regardless who’s under Center. You could really argue it’s closer to 14.0 per game because many of our starters left the field mid 4th qtr. I’m still waiting for someone to declare Jefferson had a concussion and that caused a Goal line stand and 4 turnovers. I’ve never seen so many excuses flying over our opponents. Maybe our D just played like they should’ve.

I don't think there's anyone suggesting the defense hasn't played better as of late. It's uncertain if Barry deserve the lion's share of the credit for it though.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers performance definitely contributed to the offense struggling but as I have mentioned before that was to be expected with a lack of talent at pass catchers.

I agree Rodgers not showing up for OTAs wasn't a good look in the public view. But I don't think that's as important as many seem to believe.

I don't think there's anyone suggesting the defense hasn't played better as of late. It's uncertain if Barry deserve the lion's share of the credit for it though.
We shall if he just gets his share of the Lions.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always with the excuses.:rolleyes:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know. I often wonder what would’ve happened with our 12th ranked Defense had we not been ranked 29th on Offense with 17.0 per game. As an opposing HC/OC it kinda changes your entire game plan.

Do realize how thin the margin is on points allowed? Currently 1.5 points per game would move us up 11 spots into a 7th ranked Scoring Defense. Imo when you don’t play complementary football you stagnate your Defense (and vice versa).
There’s not even a doubt in my mind that had GB started this season more consistently on Offense (call it just league average) we’d have easily been ranked in the top #10 on Defense through 9 games.
Is 17.0 per game over a 9 game stretch Barry’s fault also? I don’t think so.

Listen. Our D hadn’t played to expectation (top 5) I’ll admit that. Yet some of this incessant picking is bordering frivolous. Anyone can see we are playing much better as of late. No opponent in December/Jan has scored more than 20 points on us. 17.0 per contest over Dec-Jan is pretty impressive regardless who’s under Center. You could really argue it’s closer to 14.0 per game because many of our starters left the field mid 4th qtr. I’m still waiting for someone to declare Jefferson had a concussion and that caused a Goal line stand and 4 turnovers. I’ve never seen so many excuses flying over our opponents. Maybe our D just played like they should’ve.

Yes, they’re playing much better. How many years did that take? How often have Barry defenses been good vs been bad? I have zero confidence that Barry can adapt in a timely fashion to compensate for changing offenses. Been good lately, you confident he’ll figure out how to modify the defense when an OC figures out how to take advantage of it? Cause I’m not.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF The Pack can play against the run like they have started to do; I have confidence the DBs can continue to swarm to the ball. The deep pass may be a problem.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am all in rooting for the Packers to make the playoffs and go as far as possible. But I really hope a run doesn't result in retention of Barry.
The Packers must have water boarded Barry until he finally agreed to a change in defense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Public officials like judges are expected to avoid the appearance of impropriety. I see Rodgers going to OTAs in the same way. You may be right that it wouldn‘t have made a difference, but its not a good look. The team was fielding a bunch of rookie receivers that needed to get comfortable with the offense and with Rodgers. Was he required to go ? No. Would it have shown a higher level of dedication after just accepting that huge contract? Yes.
New wr and knowing it would take time to gel.

Aaron should have went...I don't gaf if it was voluntarty, or coaches said it was OK. Or cba said no need.

Be the LEADER. Show up even it is only to get to know the new offense players, talk to them and just interact with them.

D

Deleted member 6794

Always with the excuses.:rolleyes:

It's pretty obvious that a lack of talent at wide receiver and tight end significantly contributed to the passing offense struggling early this season. Especially considering the team lacked a deep threat before Watson started being productive.0

IF The Pack can play against the run like they have started to do; I have confidence the DBs can continue to swarm to the ball. The deep pass may be a problem.

While the run defense gas improved over the past three games the Packers have still allowed 4.7 yards per carry over that span.

While they did a good job against the Lions in the first meeting this season you need to consider that Swift was limited in that game, getting only two carries.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on my own personal experience, had Rodgers shown up for the early practices, which were optional, it could have helped with a little time working with the receivers to get them on the same page as him, when it comes to what he expected of them on the field. Practice may not make perfect, but it does more towards getting there than sitting in front of a TV with a game console "bonding," that's for sure.

Rodgers didn't seem to want the role of leader on the team, and at the same time, was acting like he was the leader. The guy has some issues, and they did hurt them at the start of this season. It's better now, but the problem is still there. There needs to be better communications off the field with him and receivers, if he intends to move forward for another year.

I do blame him for a lot of this year's offensive problems. Those problems also created some defensive problems. So, he's on the hook for some of both. Add in the inexperience of what is going to be the core of the WR group, and you had a recipe to fail. In all honesty, most people will tell you they are doing better than what was expected. I believe they're doing less than what I anticipated. Rodgers could have been at OTAs, and they could be playing at a much higher level at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

Based on my own personal experience, had Rodgers shown up for the early practices, which were optional, it could have helped with a little time working with the receivers to get them on the same page as him, when it comes to what he expected of them on the field.

I highly doubt that to be true as the receivers were just learning the basic principles of the offense at that point.

I do blame him for a lot of this year's offensive problems.

I agree Rodgers is partly to blame for the offense struggling at times this season. It's not right to put a lot of it on him in my opinion though.

Those problems also created some defensive problems. So, he's on the hook for some of both.

There's absolutely no reason to blame
Rodgers for the defense struggling.

Rodgers could have been at OTAs, and they could be playing at a much higher level at this point.

I highly doubt Rodgers showing up for OTAs would have made any difference let alone the offense playing at a much higher level because of it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New wr and knowing it would take time to gel.

Aaron should have went...I don't gaf if it was voluntarty, or coaches said it was OK. Or cba said no need.

Be the LEADER. Show up even it is only to get to know the new offense players, talk to them and just interact with them.
Would be good to find out how many of these in their later years did Manning, Brees, and Brady attend.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on my own personal experience, had Rodgers shown up for the early practices, which were optional, it could have helped with a little time working with the receivers to get them on the same page as him, when it comes to what he expected of them on the field. Practice may not make perfect, but it does more towards getting there than sitting in front of a TV with a game console "bonding," that's for sure.

Rodgers didn't seem to want the role of leader on the team, and at the same time, was acting like he was the leader. The guy has some issues, and they did hurt them at the start of this season. It's better now, but the problem is still there. There needs to be better communications off the field with him and receivers, if he intends to move forward for another year.

I do blame him for a lot of this year's offensive problems. Those problems also created some defensive problems. So, he's on the hook for some of both. Add in the inexperience of what is going to be the core of the WR group, and you had a recipe to fail. In all honesty, most people will tell you they are doing better than what was expected. I believe they're doing less than what I anticipated. Rodgers could have been at OTAs, and they could be playing at a much higher level at this point.
Rodgers has missed how many of the practices since Oct with the thumb? the knee, the ribs? is he even in half the practices at this point? Did he even practice before the Vikings game at all? and we're still talking about basic installs from May?

I guess we could blame Rodgers. I tend to blame defensive backs on defense that couldn't communicate on the back end and left guys running wide open for 2/3's of the season. A young Quay Walker who was all fire with no direction, a defensive line that sometimes seemed to be asleep. Offensively. #1, BakhT being out, Jenkins back way too early from injury and not moving well, Meyers working back from injury, Royce Newman on the field, Young Tom, Yosh playing 3 different spots, offensive line shuffles every week, WR's who don't know the first thing about the offense etc.

Yes him being there "could" have made a difference. It could have been good, it could have been bad. This whole situation reminded me of why we left daycare. 2 year olds sitting in circle every morning reciting the days of the week and time of the day when I dropped my 18 month old off to that room. What a waste of time. They weren't ready for it. They should have been doing all sorts of other things to be ready for it and when it was time, once actually have the brain capacity to understand the concept of time, it takes all of 17 seconds to teach days, months, before, after, today, tomorrow etc.

So yes, Rodgers being absent "could" have had an effect, I think the youth, the offensive line, the injuries etc were the Everest vs a couple grains of sand.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry. In football, practicing "together" in a regular basis, as often as possible, creates more cohesiveness on the plays. Everyone gets better at doing their jobs, and players next to them, understand exactly how that player will perform. When it comes to timing, and anticipation of actions, between receivers and QBs, it's paramount. Thinking otherwise doesn't make sense.

The only way you mesh the reality of what someone will do, during a play, with another player, is by practicing that play repeatedly, so you know for sure.

In a practice, if you run the same play a half dozen times, you're not going to get a chance to go through the progressions, and the options within it, more than two times. As an example, on a passing play, with 3 guys out on routes. If you run it 6 times, you get a maximum of two reps for each of the receivers, and you haven't even touched on the concept with a TE or RB as an outlet. You also haven't developed the rhythm, based on the speed of the receivers, the time frame on the QB release, or any of the other factors that apply.

If I was to go by what some seem to believe, you don't need to practice together. You just need to know the plays. That's like saying someone who knows the rules of golf can just buy clubs and be a par golfer. Maybe take a few swings at a driving range first, because that's all you need to know?

No. Repetition is needed. Lombardi would roll over in his grave if he heard what's said about it not being necessary.

But, that's only my opinion. We're all welcome to our own.

Now, how could Rodgers be responsible for defensive problems. It's simple enough. If you can't control the ball long enough, your defense wears down by having to spend too much time on the field. A ball control game, where your QB is efficient, reduces the defense's exposure to number of plays they need to be out there. This is an obvious consideration in my book. You gotta think like a coach across the board. The entire game links itself to itself, regardless of what side of the ball we're talking about.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm sorry. In football, practicing "together" in a regular basis, as often as possible, creates more cohesiveness on the plays. Everyone gets better at doing their jobs, and players next to them, understand exactly how that player will perform. When it comes to timing, and anticipation of actions, between receivers and QBs, it's paramount. Thinking otherwise doesn't make sense.

The only way you mesh the reality of what someone will do, during a play, with another player, is by practicing that play repeatedly, so you know for sure.

In a practice, if you run the same play a half dozen times, you're not going to get a chance to go through the progressions, and the options within it, more than two times. As an example, on a passing play, with 3 guys out on routes. If you run it 6 times, you get a maximum of two reps for each of the receivers, and you haven't even touched on the concept with a TE or RB as an outlet. You also haven't developed the rhythm, based on the speed of the receivers, the time frame on the QB release, or any of the other factors that apply.

If I was to go by what some seem to believe, you don't need to practice together. You just need to know the plays. That's like saying someone who knows the rules of golf can just buy clubs and be a par golfer. Maybe take a few swings at a driving range first, because that's all you need to know?

No. Repetition is needed. Lombardi would roll over in his grave if he heard what's said about it not being necessary.

Now, how could Rodgers be responsible for defensive problems. It's simple enough. If you can't control the ball long enough, your defense wears down by having to spend too much time on the field. A ball control game, where your QB is efficient, reduces the defense's exposure to number of plays they need to be out there. This is an obvious consideration in my book. You gotta think like a coach across the board. The entire game links itself to itself, regardless of what side of the ball we're talking about.
Agreed. Just spending time together can help with team bonding. Seems like they have a team movie, bowling, etc. once in awhile. Why do people think they do that? This notion of "Aaron not being at OTA's didn't hurt the team one bit", is pretty silly. I can name several ways that it didn't help the team as well as several ways it would have helped the team. I would challenge someone to give me a few reasons why him not being there benefited the team. Besides saying "he could have suffered a season ending injury." Since that doesn't happen all that often in OTA's and if the coaches are THAT worried about it, he just is there for support, bonding and teaching. Rodgers can suffer a season ending injury walking down stairs, going to OTA's isn't a big threat to his health. IF your answer is "Rodgers doesn't need to be there, because he knows the playbook and is a seasoned Veteran." You are viewing this only from Rodgers perspective, which seems to be why we are talking about it, it was Aaron's decision.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all honesty, most people will tell you they are doing better than what was expected. I believe they're doing less than what I anticipated.
I like where we are at right now. If the D scheme does not change to conservative; I like that we have snuck into the playoffs. It should be all or nothing with the D scheme. None of this just keep it close crap. I think it is important for Douglas and Jaire to do some bumping at the line of scrimmage.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And people get sick of each other too. Lombardi’s guys spent half the time together these guys do. How many OTAs did he have?

Rodgers isn’t even practicing half the days now because of injury.

You’re not the only one to have played sports at a decent level. Guys used to spend 2 hours in a gym. I’d spend 45 minutes and got more done than all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts