Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

12theTruth

Why, specifically? An objective observer might say they need to see him do more with the linebackers before even considering him as a DC.

Because he has experience playing in the 3-4 defense he has done a great job with Matthews and has done his best with what he has to work with Walden, Zombo and the like. He is a motivator and no doubt could probably have an upside unlike Capers who has given up an average of 44 points in the Packers last 3 playoff losses. Greene can add an assistant with play calling expertise if so needed at first. The main thing is Capers MUST GO!!!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm still not ready to hang Capers. I'm really putting most of my blame on Jones and Walden. They did a poor job of doing their job, which let Kaepernick run wild on designed runs.

Capers bears blame for one thing. He should have be playing a lot more zone. Force the weirdo to beat you with his arm and contain his runs.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have them. Bishop and Smith. Those guys are way better than Jones/Walden.

Pretty sure you mean Perry and Bishop (both of your guys are ILBs.)

Otherwise, yes, I agree. Their presence would have been noted in run defense. I'm really thinking we need more from "other OLB" and ILB in general--at least depth. Still stuck with Hawk due to his contract and complete ILBs are rare. Crud.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why, specifically? An objective observer might say they need to see him do more with the linebackers before even considering him as a DC.

He is gone if he doesnt get a promotion is what I heard at start of camp...

Edgar Bennet went from Rb coach to Wr coach...He never was a WR..So it is not heard of for a guy coach something he hasnt hand a ton of time with..

But Kevin has been under Dom a while, sees how things are "Suppose to be done" and has playing experience, plus we all know he has a mean streak..

However we do not know his inner workings on how he handles things...So that is why it is hard for a regular fan to give a true ringing endorsement

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I'm not ready to say fire him... however, it has been an extremely frustrating game... still no effort into tackles (i.e. trying to shoulder people down), weird formations (i.e. Perry in coverage against a 5 wide set), and ineffective blitzes
One could only hope he takes a Philly, or San Diego coaching job....

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For those who want to know who we would replace Capers with, I'd replace him with Keith Butler.

That SHOULD be a pretty seamless transition.

I'd welcome the idea at least for serious consideration. However, he declined Miami's offer in 2010 and he declined the Colts last year. What makes you think he'll jump now?

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What it means: The Packers' season ended exactly as it began: With a mismatch against the San Francisco 49ers. The Packers sent 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick into the NFL record books with a porous defensive showing that should rekindle an offseason discussion about their approach on that side of the ball.

What I didn't like: The Packers had no answer for Kaepernick. Worse, it wasn't clear what -- if any -- plan they had for stopping him on the read-option play. Kaepernick didn't just have an eye-popping game. He set an NFL record for rushing yards by a quarterback in a game (183), averaging 13.1 yards per carry and scoring touchdowns on dashes of 56 and 20 yards. The Packers' defense didn't so much as touch him on either run. Linebacker Clay Matthews served as a spy on Kaepernick on a couple plays, but for the most part the Packers relied on a base look that has been scorched on outside runs this season. Watching Matthews and fellow outside linebacker Erik Walden fooled on the option was disconcerting to say the least.

What could happen: It is more than fair to scrutinize the job performance of defensive coordinator Dom Capers, and not just because the 49ers put up a stunning 579 yards of offense. The Packers didn't look sharp against the read option last weekend against the Minnesota Vikings, and it's clear they didn't clean up the confusion thereafter in practice. When you put Kaepernick's performance together with the 409 yards that Vikings tailback Adrian Petersongained in two regular season games, you have an issue that cropped up all season, was never fully corrected and ultimately ended the Packers' season. Were the Packers just mismatched physically in those situations? Or should Capers have found a solution? That's a question coach Mike McCarthy must address in the coming weeks.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He is gone if he doesnt get a promotion is what I heard at start of camp...

Edgar Bennet went from Rb coach to Wr coach...He never was a WR..So it is not heard of for a guy coach something he hasnt hand a ton of time with..

But Kevin has been under Dom a while, sees how things are "Suppose to be done" and has playing experience, plus we all know he has a mean streak..

However we do not know his inner workings on how he handles things...So that is why it is hard for a regular fan to give a true ringing endorsement

Sorry, but I simply can't get on board with a first-timer at DC given that we are a perennial contender right now. If we were coming off a 5-11 season with very little talent on defense, I might be more open to it, but not now.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, do you guys really think the result would have been significantly different tonight with a healthy Bishop/Smith/Perry? I don't.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I simply can't get on board with a first-timer at DC given that we are a perennial contender right now. If we were coming off a 5-11 season with very little talent on defense, I might be more open to it, but not now.

Then where is your list

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, do you guys really think the result would have been significantly different tonight with a healthy Bishop/Smith/Perry? I don't.

Not sure if we win, but I am pretty sure we dont get blown out

You think Walden and Jones are the same talent level as Bishop and Perry

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pretty sure you mean Perry and Bishop (both of your guys are ILBs.)

Yes, that's what I meant. I think of Smith as a possible replacement to Hawk in the next year or two as he gets a little older.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I meant. I think of Smith as a possible replacement to Hawk in the next year or two as he gets a little older.

I'm not sure about that, but I'd like to be wrong. Hawk normally plays the strong-side position, aka, thumper while Bishop plays the weakside, playmaker position.

I think part of the reason Hawk sticks is because we don't really have another body on the roster built appropriate to take on blocks. Hawk's not very good at it, but at least he looks like he should. I'm not sure you can say that about any of our backups and I'd like to keep Bishop where he is. He does a good job making plays from a non-playmaking position.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense really hasn't been crap since the Reggie White, Gilbert Brown days. We have too many D lineman that are much better suited for playing a 4-3 scheme in stead of a 3-4 scheme. Rai, Worthy, Daniels, Neal, Wilson, Pickett, & Perry would all work well along the defensive front. Most excel at pinching and splitting the Gap instead of lining head-up over the Tackle and Center and trying to hold up at the Point of Attack.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Packers defense really hasn't been crap since the Reggie White, Gilbert Brown days. We have too many D lineman that are much better suited for playing a 4-3 scheme in stead of a 3-4 scheme. Rai, Worthy, Daniels, Neal, Wilson, Pickett, & Perry would all work well along the defensive front. Most excel at pinching and splitting the Gap instead of lining head-up over the Tackle and Center and trying to hold up at the Point of Attack.

Perry isn't a lineman.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish that we could Trade Hawk to the Raiders in exchange for Renado Mclain. Even though he has been in trouble off the field he might be able to turn things around and is much more physical then Hawk.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Then here is the question..

You fire Dom, do you force new dc to make the players work..Or only hire a Dc that can use your players

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that, but I'd like to be wrong. Hawk normally plays the strong-side position, aka, thumper while Bishop plays the weakside, playmaker position.

I think part of the reason Hawk sticks is because we don't really have another body on the roster built appropriate to take on blocks. Hawk's not very good at it, but at least he looks like he should. I'm not sure you can say that about any of our backups and I'd like to keep Bishop where he is. He does a good job making plays from a non-playmaking position.

I was talking about Smith eventually replacing Hawk, not Bishop.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was talking about Smith eventually replacing Hawk, not Bishop.

I understood you, I don't think it'll work. If you start Smith and Bishop, who's the big body that takes on blocks? In your suggestion, that would be Smith. I see that working out poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online