Favre to .... hmmm Irvin?!?!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A neat little piece with regards to the relationship of the "old man" and the young pups.. as to the quote... is it wrong to wish he would have hit Irvin alongside the head?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/tim_layden/11/21/favre/1.html

• A few years ago Archie Manning told me a story about one of Favre's first Pro Bowls. Manning was in Hawaii doing promotional work, watching the NFC work out. It was a loose practice, with players wearing just shorts and shirts. It seems Michael Irvin ran a casual down-and-out and the young Favre, throwing on rhythm, whistled a spiral right past Irvin's ear before Irvin got his head around to the ball. A couple inches' difference and we're talking fractured eye socket, broken nose and worse. "One of the coaches blows his whistle,'' recalls Manning, "and says, 'OK, everybody get a helmet on, right now.'')

Here is one of the reasons, I think Favre becomes a coach someday...

Greg Jennings said:
"Last year, I would go up the field and then just run across,'' says Jennings. "There are windows there, where Brett could see me, but I was running right through them. He's been teaching me to see what he sees when he looks down the field. Now I understand that I have to find those holes and not just go sprinting across the field. It's a process of maturing. And he's been a huge help.''

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Up till this year, I would never have thought Favre would coach at any more than the high school level, if at all. It's not that I thought he was incapable of it, I just thought he would not want to do it because he wouldn't have enough patience for it. But the way he's "coached" his receivers this year and spent so much time on film study makes me think he would at least consider being a positions coach (QB coach, probably) somewhere down the line. He still doesn't seem like the head coach type, though. I don't think he would want all the hassle that comes with being a head coach.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
He still doesn't seem like the head coach type, though. I don't think he would want all the hassle that comes with being a head coach.

100% agree, but a QB coach or Offensive assistant coach in some capacity.. I think he is to woven into the game to just stay away from it.

But a Head Coach or equivalent.. not the type I agree.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was asked on Larry McCarren's locker room if he'd ever become a coach and he didn't hesitate. The answer was big fat NO. :)

Members online

Latest posts