Favre to announce?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering.........Fan Fest is coming up in a couple weeks. I wonder if they are holding off on Favre's decision, for him to make a surprise appearance to announce he's coming back?
At the first Fan Fest, he showed up and announced he was returning, and the place went wild. Could it be a PR move? (I don't know, just speculating).

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm wondering.........Fan Fest is coming up in a couple weeks. I wonder if they are holding off on Favre's decision, for him to make a surprise appearance to announce he's coming back?
At the first Fan Fest, he showed up and announced he was returning, and the place went wild. Could it be a PR move? (I don't know, just speculating).

sounds like fun but i doubt it, he will usually just announce it to that dude in his local paper in Miss. :)

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dang you cheesey.

The least that you could have done is post this in the "Smack Area".
I've got a million comments on this topic, but I can't post them here :p

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me if Favre let us know by the end of the month if he's coming back due to the start of FA on the 29th, but the longer it goes, the more it worries me he won't come back for '08. He's got every incentive to at this point, but I would understand why in the end if he did decide to finally hang up the cleats.

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Dang you cheesey.

The least that you could have done is post this in the "Smack Area".
I've got a million comments on this topic, but I can't post them here :p
Why do you think i posted it HERE!?!? :wink: :lol:

Anyway......it was just my thought. Especially if it will be his last year. Get the fans all worked up.
Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I want him back for one more go around.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Favre is on vacation in Mexico, drinking margaritas on the beach and forgot what day it is.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The longer it goes the more I think he might retire. I'm not saying he will and I definitely think he shouldn't but this is somewhat strange so far in my opinion.

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The longer it goes the more I think he might retire. I'm not saying he will and I definitely think he shouldn't but this is somewhat strange so far in my opinion.
I agree Porky.
If he was coming back, i think he'd have been quicker on his response. But i'm STILL holding out hope!!!

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
As long as we know one way or another by Free Agency. If not, that I really will have a problem with that. But, as long as he lets everyone know by then, I'll be ok with the delay.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping he stays too. He's definitely having an internal battle about this. I think if he'd stop playing, he'd be like a fish out of water.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping he stays too. He's definitely having an internal battle about this. I think if he'd stop playing, he'd be like a fish out of water.

I'm thinking after retiring, he'll feel so bad about the decision knowing he could still produce 25+ TDs a year that he'll come back on another team. That's my guess.

If he does, that team will instantly be my 2nd favorite team (until of course he retires and I'll go back to hating them).

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ElleBlue said:

I'm thinking after retiring, he'll feel so bad about the decision knowing he could still produce 25+ TDs a year that he'll come back on another team. That's my guess.

If he does, that team will instantly be my 2nd favorite team (until of course he retires and I'll go back to hating them).
Favre in a Viking or Bears uniform...... :shock: .......makes me shudder!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
ElleBlue said:

Favre in a Viking or Bears uniform...... :shock: .......makes me shudder!!!

AFC

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:
Yeah but Al, remember, he announced he was coming back right before Fan Fest, and then he showed up and it was great :D

So its still a fresh idea! (my point being :p haha!)

march 7th 7pm is my guess for the contest

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:
Yeah but Al, remember, he announced he was coming back right before Fan Fest, and then he showed up and it was great :D

march 7th 7pm is my guess for the contest

I hope you are right LT, then we will only have a few more weeks before we know if he comes back. I just hope crossing my fingers he will play another year.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know if he was to have surgery at the end of the season, and if so did he have it yet? I thought somewhere I read that he does need surgery.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if he was to have surgery at the end of the season, and if so did he have it yet? I thought somewhere I read that he does need surgery.

David hasnt mentioned anything bout it, but yes word was that he did need it

OP
OP
C

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack&BrettCrazed4 said:

Tryin' to ride my coat tails, huh Sarah??? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Found this on packers.com, don't know if it has been posted, I didn't see it anywhere, if someone else has already poste I apologize. MM makes a lot of good points, including the fact that his planning will not change that much if Brett retires becasue of his confidence in A-Rod.

Favre's Decision Not So Simple, McCarthy Says

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 02/22/2008

INDIANAPOLIS -- Head Coach Mike McCarthy said on Friday he doesn't know when Brett Favre will make his decision on whether to continue playing or retire.

But he did indicate that, though his weekly conversations with Favre, he's aware there's more to the decision than the obvious elements talked about in public circles.

With Favre's 16th season in Green Bay in 2007 one of his best, and the team coming within an overtime score of advancing to the Super Bowl, some have considered it a no-brainer that Favre will return. He's playing well, and the team is having success, so what's there to think about?

"But that really has nothing to do with it," McCarthy said during his press conference from the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "It's not the fact that he knows he still can play. He had a great time this year.

"It's just the fact that he's played a lot of football, and he's had to fully commit himself and his family year in and year out. When you do get older, you have more responsibility, and he just wants to make sure he'll be able to commit himself 100 percent."

That commitment is to the regimen of offseason workouts, training camp, preseason games and in-season meetings and practices. That's a grind for any player, but particularly one who's been in the league as long as Favre.

McCarthy, who said he last spoke to Favre last Friday and expects to talk with him again in a couple of days, has worn many hats during his weekly talks with Favre. While trying not to lobby for his return, McCarthy said he talks to him as his head coach, his offensive play-caller, and as a friend who has known him for several years.

"His career is very unique. Who else could he talk to about this?" McCarthy said. "Guys that are 37, 38, 39 years old, that can still play two or three years? And that's his thing. He said, 'I've played a lot of football and I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and I want to make sure I can commit 100 percent.'"

Thompson said he talked to Favre earlier this week, and he characterized it as a "nice talk." He dismissed a media report that indicated Favre was upset Thompson hadn't called to talk to him sooner in the offseason.

McCarthy said he and Thompson both told Favre prior to the start of the playoffs in January that they would like him back in 2008. They constantly hear from rival coaches and players that, for their own team's sake, they wouldn't mind seeing Brett hang it up. But those same rivals also say they don't know why he would retire when he's playing so well.

Either way, neither McCarthy nor Thompson has placed a deadline on Favre. Free agency begins late next week, and while Favre's decision could have an impact on whether or not the Packers pursue a veteran backup to Aaron Rodgers in the offseason, it's not as though that pursuit would absolutely need to begin next week.

"He understands the needs of the team and he doesn't want to put the team in a bad spot," Thompson said. "He's working through that."

Strictly from an on-field standpoint, McCarthy is not concerned about how long Favre takes to make up his mind. He's more focused on making sure Favre makes a decision he's fully committed to, adding that Favre is the one who has expressed concern about holding the organization up during this time.

"I wouldn't play any differently with Brett or without Brett," McCarthy said. "Conceptually we'll still attack it the same way. And that's a credit to Aaron Rodgers. Aaron's done a great job preparing for his time, whether it's this year or next year.

"Where we're going right now, we're going through scheme evaluations and we're getting ready for the OTAs and we're building our installations and we've got our new ideas and we're trying to stay one step ahead of the defenses. So it doesn't change anything from a scheme preparation standpoint."

Big_Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of what Favre does or doesn't do the Packers need to be on the lookout for another qb. Rodgers might be ok, but hasn't proven a thing. Nall sure didn't look like the answer, and probably wouldn't be resigned again anyway. Whether through the draft or FA the Packers need to add a 3rd qb.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Favre back. I think if we can fill a couple of holes through free agency, and with Favre as the QB we have a legitimate chance to win it all. Without Favre, we have a chance, but probably not as a good of a chance. Here is my bottom line with Brett. I'm so tired of this crap happening every year. If Brett thinks he's done, then retire, if you want to play come back. He can still play at a high level, but this putting the organization and fans on hold each year has become a bunch of baloney. It almost has the feel of grandstanding. Brett doesn't need to do that. He is among the best players to ever play for the Green and Gold, but I just can't understand why this decision is so difficult to make each year.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I want Favre back. I think if we can fill a couple of holes through free agency, and with Favre as the QB we have a legitimate chance to win it all. Without Favre, we have a chance, but probably not as a good of a chance. Here is my bottom line with Brett. I'm so tired of this crap happening every year. If Brett thinks he's done, then retire, if you want to play come back. He can still play at a high level, but this putting the organization and fans on hold each year has become a bunch of baloney. It almost has the feel of grandstanding. Brett doesn't need to do that. He is among the best players to ever play for the Green and Gold, but I just can't understand why this decision is so difficult to make each year.

I agree that he has earned his time to make a decision or whatever, but it does get annoying. Even Mike Holgrem of the Seahawks was saying how he wanted everyone in the organization to KNOW that he was coming back and this would be his last year so that he wasn't jerking them around and keeping them on hold. It would be easy to argue that he's certainly "earned" his right to take his time, too, but he let his organization know well in advance what his plans were. I think that's fair.

As I said earlier, I'm still semi-alright that he hasn't made his decision yet, but if it's not made in a couple days, I will have a problem with that.

With that being said, I'm sure he'll let us know before free agency starts (keeps fingers crossed).

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre will do it in his own quiet and unassuming way as he always does.

Just after the Packers have picked a QB in the first round of the draft!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts