Favre bashing

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize I'm a new poster here, but there's something I don't quite understand.

If it's been readily admitted that this is a rebuilding year for the Green Bay Packers, and that the Pack is starting multiple rookies on the offensive line. And everyone also agrees that the defense is struggling. Also, the new Green Bay coach is admittedly learning on the job. It's been commented on that the special teams are not performing up to par.

And you would have to agree that this team struggles with its running game, pass protection, and has big time problems scoring in the red zone.

If all of the above is accepted as true, then how can some posters here seem to believe that everything wrong with this team is somehow Brett Favre's fault?

To me, it seems that because this team is struggling in so many areas, and because they're having problems scoring in the red zone, Favre is trying to make a play, some play, any play, by putting the ball up deep, (and trying to let his receivers also make a play) because he knows that the team is not good enough, and is not going to score in the red zone.

If these are then accepted and agreed upon facts. Then once again, how is this somehow all Brett Favre's fault?

Just my :twocents:

Nice forum you got here.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
welcome Charles!!

I dont think to many here ( from what I have seen and read) think it is all Favres fault..

Some do think that he is part of the team and thus should be a PART of the reasons they lose, or win..

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no QB can win in the NFL without the proper weapons around him.

Not Tom Brady. Not Peyton Manning. And not Brett Favre!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no QB can win in the NFL without the proper weapons around him.

Not Tom Brady. Not Peyton Manning. And not Brett Favre!

I think we all would agree with that

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well since we're all in a bit of a snarly mood I might as well join. Overall I think to many people are to touchy and instead of using there own knowledgeable football smarts they worry to much about what others think. I love Brett to death but I really couldn't careless what most people think of him basically cause everyone has a strong opinion but most people don't have anything more. On one side I hear the bashers say he should retire he's useless but then when you ask them to explain they got nothing.
On the other side some people just stick with Favre and say how great he is and follow him blindly no matter what happens.
All I can advise is to have you're own opinion but do so with reality. I'll stand behind Brett every step but I still got enough common sense to see when he's had a bad game and made some bad throws like yesterday. Just like you'd like the Favre bashers to give a little and have an open mind remember we owe it to them too. If we can rreach this point the forums will be all the much better.
Either that or we can go back to our own sides and make one line posts back and forth

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre played a great game up until the remaining minutes in the 4th quarter when we really needed him. This is how he has been playing for a while, he doesnt make many comebacks anymore...he always forces passes when we need a score. That being said....no one wants Favre gone now...since no one else is left to bring in. Favre still has some left, but i dont think any coach can tell him to tone it down when behind. The reason we lost last night was a combination of bad penatly calls, bad special teams coverage, bad running defense, and bad early play calling decisions. this is a team game..lets not blame it on one person.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet another 3 int game. How much more are you all willing to take?

I think everyone on this forum can ask you the same question.
How much longer are you going to put up wit Rexy-boys absolute horrible play?? Come back when your team has actually won a game that makes a difference. One and done again this year because Grossman can't execute against a winning team.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize I'm a new poster here, but there's something I don't quite understand.

If it's been readily admitted that this is a rebuilding year for the Green Bay Packers, and that the Pack is starting multiple rookies on the offensive line. And everyone also agrees that the defense is struggling. Also, the new Green Bay coach is admittedly learning on the job. It's been commented on that the special teams are not performing up to par.

And you would have to agree that this team struggles with its running game, pass protection, and has big time problems scoring in the red zone.

If all of the above is accepted as true, then how can some posters here seem to believe that everything wrong with this team is somehow Brett Favre's fault?

To me, it seems that because this team is struggling in so many areas, and because they're having problems scoring in the red zone, Favre is trying to make a play, some play, any play, by putting the ball up deep, (and trying to let his receivers also make a play) because he knows that the team is not good enough, and is not going to score in the red zone.

If these are then accepted and agreed upon facts. Then once again, how is this somehow all Brett Favre's fault?

Just my :twocents:

Nice forum you got here.

wow - a fantastic post right outta the box!! glad to have you here - sorry you joined us on the back side of a loss though. welcome anyway & happy posting!! :thumbsup:

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett, Brett, Brett. This gets so old.

The pick on Bubba should that have been a throwaway? No, I'll tell you what, frankly in the game I thought it was a poor decision. But now that I've seen it on film he had Bubba. He had him leveraged and there was definitely a hole to throw through.

The second pick on Chris Francies (rookie free agent)... They were clouding towards Driver a lot, and there were some coverage tendencies where we felt like we were able to get the ball deep. That's why we took our shots.

The red zone miss to Ruvell Martin (rookie free agent) ...It was a hot read, and Ruvell did not see the hot, and him and the quarterback were not on the same page. He just needs to look, as soon as the guy blitzes ... that's a very basic component of how we handle pressure in certain pass protections.

All are MM's post-game comments.

It's the game. Leverages, taking shots, handling pressure. Just b/c the game features a few misses/interceptions is no reason to set Brett to the curb. More going on in the game than first meets the eye.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre played a great game up until the remaining minutes in the 4th quarter when we really needed him. This is how he has been playing for a while, he doesnt make many comebacks anymore...he always forces passes when we need a score. That being said....no one wants Favre gone now...since no one else is left to bring in. Favre still has some left, but i dont think any coach can tell him to tone it down when behind. The reason we lost last night was a combination of bad penatly calls, bad special teams coverage, bad running defense, and bad early play calling decisions. this is a team game..lets not blame it on one person.

The reason IMO he dont make many comebacks anymore is this: You have to have recievers want to make plays and jump up and get the ball, I believe we had 6 minutes on the game clock when we were down two scores, not much time to make a huge come back we would have needed two touchdowns and a field goal to win, so Favre took his shots down the field.

Your ending statement IMO is true, we cannot ever blame one person, I truly believe that bad penalty call is what made a difference in this game and also our SP teams not playing well.

Favre will always take his shots down the field, sometimes they will be good and sometimes they maybe bad. But in the "so called good years" he had people out there making plays for him.

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You also have to work with receivers for awhile to get in a rhythym.

Francies? Ruvell Martin? Jennings coming back from injury?

Is it any wonder the timing, reads, and patterns are off between QB and WR. Add to this fact the very little time that the QB has because pass protection is breaking down around him, and he has to make decisions in less time than most QB's with good offensive lines around them.

Is it any wonder the Packers have problems in the Red Zone, and elsewhere?

Yes, the Packers have some talent on this team, but at this point, it's undeveloped talent. You can't win on potential alone.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You also have to work with receivers for awhile to get in a rhythym.

Francies? Ruvell Martin? Jennings coming back from injury?

Is it any wonder the timing, reads, and patterns are off between QB and WR. Add to this fact the very little time that the QB has because pass protection is breaking down around him, and he has to make decisions in less time than most QB's with good offensive lines around them.

Is it any wonder the Packers have problems in the Red Zone, and elsewhere?

Great post!!!!!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack also said San Francisco's a ***** city, but he's not a racist.

Yeah...just cuz people don't want Brett to play makes them hate
Brett. Guess that's the law of nature or something.

Stating a city is a ***** city does not mean one is racist. Certain cities are known for different things. If you don't like it, MOVE!

I highly doubt anyone really hates Brett. He's too likeable for that. People just grow tiresome of his gunslinging ways when the games in need of patience and accuracy.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need Brett Favre period.

We need Brett Favre next year as well. Period.

I would hope they young guys going thru their baptism in the NFL will be capable of greater contribution. We need to shore up the weak spots, get KRob back along with a bolt of lightining type guy, and put a legitimate four wide group out there and watch BF kick butt.

We lack the ability to spread the field when the opportunity for that to work is there. We need to add this dimension because Brett would be a master working it.

The personnel we have does not give us the fire power needed to put points up like we would be capable of.

We have two great ones and then it drops off greatly. Give Brett two more real WR's and see what he does with that.

I believe we are five guys away from a playoff team. A REAL Saftety, an animal on the defensive line, two Wr's, and a true threat TE.

We put these guys on the team around Favre and we're in. Hell, thats about half of what we were lacking going into this year so TT should have no problem adding these guys in order for us to win.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:
Yet another 3 int game. How much more are you all willing to take?

I think everyone on this forum can ask you the same question.
How much longer are you going to put up wit Rexy-boys absolute horrible play?? Come back when your team has actually won a game that makes a difference. One and done again this year because Grossman can't execute against a winning team.

Thing is, Bears are 9-2 with Rex. People are tired of his "gunslinging" as well just like with Favre, but the difference is Rex will get better with experience, Favre will get worse as he ages. If Rex plays like crap vs. Minnesota and St. Louis, you may see a change made. But typically Rex (again, like Favre) will come back and play absolutely brilliant after a stinker. Rex pretty much exposed the Seahawks in the worst way, however, where Brett struggled. Id say at this point in their careers, they are indeed very similar in skill, only headed in opposite directions.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre needs to be held accountable for his mistakes. He does make mistakes. Every player does and it seems like it's okay to criticize the other players but if you say something about Favre you should have your tongue immediately removed.

Favre is far from perfect and he's 38 years old. He's not the Quarterback he was 10 years ago but I ask to name one guy who at 38 was better than he was at 28. Maybe Rich Gannon is all you can come up with and he might've been a product of the system.

My whole take is he's the Packers best QB. One of their best players and their leader. He's also gives them the best chance to win. I hope he plays at least a year or two more. I'd like to see him grow with this team. I think something special could be in the making.

I will however be critical of Favre when he make poor decisions like I'll be critical of every player. Just because I'm critical or anyone else is critical of Favre hardly means we don't like him and he should be bench. I can’t speak for others but for myself it means I hold Favre in higher regards than that of an Aaron Rodgers and I expect more out of Favre than I do Aaron Rodgers.

I’m also not going to be a blinded homer either. I know at 38 Favre isn’t better than some of the younger QB’s in the NFL today. Like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady whom are playing in their prime. I do know though Favre is a Super Bowl caliber QB and definitely capable of playing at a high level.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If all WR are covered you don't try throwing it to the 3rd or 4th string WR you go with your 1 or 2 and whichever one has the best chance. That's if you HAVE to throw it due to the score an needing a miracle. You let your playmakers make the plays.

Just my take

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
abztractmynd said:

The reason IMO he dont make many comebacks anymore is this: You have to have recievers want to make plays and jump up and get the ball, I believe we had 6 minutes on the game clock when we were down two scores, not much time to make a huge come back we would have needed two touchdowns and a field goal to win, so Favre took his shots down the field.

Your ending statement IMO is true, we cannot ever blame one person, I truly believe that bad penalty call is what made a difference in this game and also our SP teams not playing well.

Favre will always take his shots down the field, sometimes they will be good and sometimes they maybe bad. But in the "so called good years" he had people out there making plays for him.

nice post Heathie!!

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
abztractmynd said:

before we were down by two scores, we were down by one score. he forced it then, leading to a pick and another score. I dont think there is a problem at the WR position, Jennings, Driver, Martin, all had good games. At the end something happened and we failed to convert when needed, some say favre, some say coaching and some say WR's were to blame. I think our WR core is good enough...but the lack of a good TE is the reason the Seahawks defense played so well against us, because they knew we would only go to our recievers at the end, they had the WR's covered.

P.S. what does IMO mean? i forgot lol :doh:

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agha! thats what i was coming to a conclusion to...Martin had one catch, not that good of a game -strike it-

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its been stricken from the record.

I think there would be less huff on this site if people always said "IMO" cuz a lot of folks spit out opinion as fact, and people dont like it.

Like my thoughts on Favre, and potentially starting someone else, thats obviously just my opinion. Ill say it more, but I doubt that stops the hate-mail.

Members online

Latest posts