ESPN #1 Passing Defense

figtab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Discussion of #1 passing Defense on Sportscenter in like 15 mins. Im saying they hate on the Pack and put them @ 14.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
25th is pretty fair I think. They aren't wearing Packer glasses like we are, so they don't overestimate the team like we all do.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The defensive line isn't even close to being elite, the linebackers are very promising but young, the starting cornerbacks aren't even showing up to camp, and the safeties are good, but not great yet.

The Packers' pass defense was ranked #1 last year, but that doesn't mean that they were the best pass defense in the league. It just means that teams didn't need many passing yards to beat the Packers. The run defense didn't help much either. Teams ran over the Packers run defense, so it wasn't so necessary to pass all the time. It obviously takes some skill to be the #1 pass defense in the NFL, but the Packers defense had a little help last year.

The defense looks good to us Packer fans, but through the eyes of someone who is not a Packer fan there is little to see in the Packers' pass defense at the moment. Hopefully that changes very quickly when the season starts.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
25th is pretty fair I think. They aren't wearing Packer glasses like we are, so they don't overestimate the team like we all do.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The defensive line isn't even close to being elite, the linebackers are very promising but young, the starting cornerbacks aren't even showing up to camp, and the safeties are good, but not great yet.

The Packers' pass defense was ranked #1 last year, but that doesn't mean that they were the best pass defense in the league. It just means that teams didn't need many passing yards to beat the Packers. The run defense didn't help much either. Teams ran over the Packers run defense, so it wasn't so necessary to pass all the time. It obviously takes some skill to be the #1 pass defense in the NFL, but the Packers defense had a little help last year.

The defense looks good to us Packer fans, but through the eyes of someone who is not a Packer fan there is little to see in the Packers' pass defense at the moment. Hopefully that changes very quickly when the season starts.

Excellent post. This team through the eyes of a Packer fan is completely different than through the eyes of an outsider.

I see it on here alot, us Packer fans mistake potential for greatness. Case in point is our O-Line. Some folks feel like just because we have bodies to fill the spots thats good enough. They will take every positive about the guy and throw out the negatives and ignore the facts that these are raw, untested guys.

Our Passing Defense looked alot better a few weeks back. Woodson and Harris need to dedicate themselves and quit worrying about contracts and trips to Europe. Some will say it's an overreaction, maybe so, but on a 4-12 team every little bit of time spent on the practice field gelling with teammates and coaches is bound to help. Outside of Harris, Woodson and Carroll are question marks.

The Safetys are decent. I love Collins but he must show improvement over his rookie year to get any love outside of GB. Roman's a baby, and Manuel has yet to blossom

The LB's look good, but take out the word potential and your left with Barnett, a few rookies, and a young guy new to the team.

The D-Line is where this unit as a whole is weakest. KGB is a run liability and hada down year in sacks. Kampman is all effort but is still virtually an unknown outside of Wisconsin. Pickett had a good year last year but I'm not going to comparehim to Grady or the Gravedigger just yet. The other spot is a complete mystery.

So as a whole 25th looks low, but when you take out the potential, it's a bunch of young, unproven players scattered amongst a few vets.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can they rate anything before only one ball is played?? Predictions, nothing but speculations, just stuff to fill airtime or articles.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can they rate anything before only one ball is played?? Predictions, nothing but speculations, just stuff to fill airtime or articles.

Junge, Du hast ja so recht! Aber sogar wir machen mit beim Offseason-Blabla, obwohl wir doch eigentlich als Ersatz eine Fussball-WM hätten. :wink:

Uuuuups, wrong language :!: Sorry.

Oooeeehmm, to sum it up quickly:
*sign*

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TheStone said:
Junge, Du hast ja so recht! Aber sogar wir machen mit beim Offseason-Blabla, obwohl wir doch eigentlich als Ersatz eine Fussball-WM hätten. :wink:

*sign*

Aber da ist ja im Moment auch nicht so richtig viel los, oder? Warten auf Freitag :wink:

"yup" :lol: :lol:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
bavpb said:
TheStone said:

*sign*

Aber da ist ja im Moment auch nicht so richtig viel los, oder? Warten auf Freitag :wink:

halt die Schnauze

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not see the Pack finishing that high in pass defense.

If nothing else the schedule is not one that lends itself to a 25th finish.

Much has been said about Harris and Woodson being no shows in the OTA's but as long as they come to training camp in shape they have plenty of time to be ready. They should have been there, especially Woodson, but that combination is better than we have had for a while.

The Manuel/Collins combination looks good to me also. Both team guys that will compliment each other and I see them working together well. Many here have not had much to say about Manuel but any player that can step up for the majority of a season and help a team get to the SB has my vote. With a year under Collins' belt I see him having a really good season.

The LB's are certainly better. With the speed Hawk brings it will not only improve the coverage but help get heat on the QB. We haven't been using many of these blitz packages for many reasons.

One, we were trying to get over the shock of what Slowik did. His blitz packagers were horrendous and never worked. We went to a much more conservative approach under Bates who I believe would have loved to do more but....
He didn't have the LB's to bring it and couldn't trust Carroll in man coverage.

Our pass "D" won't be as good as it could be if we don't get pressure but I still don't see a 25th ranking. Now if we got the Colts and Manning twice maybe.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
bavpb said:
TheStone said:

*sign*

halt die Schnauze

Where are the mods?.....I KNOW for sure one of those (last) words IS dirty!! (The most dirty word before was "Offseason-Blabla" :lol: )

Reaction score
DePack said:
Where are the mods?.....I'm pretty sure one of those words is dirty!!

Yeah! Where are those damn mods? If Ryan can ever pull himself away from pressing the computer off/on switch while saying "'puter goes on, 'puter goes off", and if Arrow can ever get over searching for random pics (of guys none-the-less... not that there is anything wrong with that), this site might actually be half decent! :wink:

halt die Schnauze

Zero2Cool, our resident slangologist! :p

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, okay, but sis is a ....(sorry, but I don't recall the english word for international) page and serefor have you to shpiek minimumly too or sree spietches. (Darling, what watch? Six watch! Such much? (Casablanca) You see, I'm a Germerman but shpiek two spietches nearly perfekt, so why you not as a moderator??) 8) :lol: :lol:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
bavpb said:
Zero2Cool said:
bavpb said:
TheStone said:

*sign*

halt die Schnauze

Where are the mods?.....I KNOW for sure one of those (last) words IS dirty!! (The most dirty word before was "Offseason-Blabla" :lol: )

shut up is dirty?? shows what you know :)

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Darling, what watch? Six watch! Such much? (Casablanca) You see, I'm a Germerman but shpiek two spietches nearly perfekt, so why you not as a moderator??)
:) One of my all-time favorite movie quotes!! :)
..but I think it was "ten watch".....

调解人是光版本 :lol: :lol:
Oh oh, the offseason. Mods are learning foreign languages because
some bored user take every thread :eek:fftopic:

#Break# :USA:

#1 Passing Defense 2005&2006 :!:
GO PACK GO :!:

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

shut up is dirty?? shows what you know :)[/quote]

EDIT:

Where are the mods?.....I KNOW for sure one of those (last) words IS dirty!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (The most dirty word before was "Offseason-Blabla" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

:wink:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'd like to get on topic, but first I want that dude ^^^ to apologize for falsely accusing me of saying a dirty word and trying to sick the mods on my cute ***!!

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers finish 25th in total pass defense this year I'll eat my cheesehead (and post the pictures).

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How ESPN, I think Golic, downgrades Oakland because they lost Woodson, but they don't upgrade the Packers for adding Woodson?

Remember one of those three "experts" predicted the Vikings and Baltimore to play in last year's Super Bowl. That's all the background we need to know.