Effectiveness - The Name of the Game ...

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score

Stats flat, but Rodgers sparkles ...

I don't think this is entirely new, which is why I've been critic of Rodgers previously ... - And still am though, however, the Dallas game showed, how much more impact, "smarter" qb play can have on the offensive line as a whole as well ... As well as the result ...

Granted, had GB not been ahead, but have had to come from behind, most likely Rodgers stats would have been better, - but as a result, the Packers played far better than they have been for most of this season ...

Congrats to the Packers for a well played and well fought game against a (seemingly) better opponent ...

Also added read - "Food for thought ..." What comes next ?

And a pre-game article (leading up the Cowboys @ Packers match ...) All is not lost just yet.

- Whether you have insider or not is irrelevant ... Here's is how you read it anyway:
(I'm using Firefox, but it works equally with IE)

* Click the link (it will take you to a login screen, - close this tab again)
* Go under files and click "Work offline"
* Now click the link again, and it will show you the entire story ...
(So much for JS Online's web page security ... - haha)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually just disable java...

About Rodgers... I think the fumble, it was on him. Could've costed us a game. But I think the most important thing in this game was the 3rd down conversion. He was spetacular today...

The thing is, today he didn't have to win it by his own. The D did it for him, so he didn't need to force things, he didn't need to air it out as much.

Actually, I got mad at the final quarter, we should've run the ball WAY more, as we were being able to run it.

Come to think of it, it's the 2nd game in a row we've been able to run the ball well...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A beautiful game, I could care less what the QB rating was, I like playing smart, it wins games.

I said it before the game, time of possession and field position wins games. I was so glad MM never went for that long TD pass, even when he was looking at 20 yard plus for a first down. He called a running play, gained couple of yards, avoided a sack and kicked the ball away, keeping Dallas deep on their side of the field.

For me the best play of the game was when we were in a 3rd and 20 yard plus for a first down and we ran it for a 4 yard gain, I almost cried I was so happy. I was sitting there thinking, here we go again, long pass play resulting in a 6 to 10 yard sack, special teams break down on the punt and Dallas sitting pretty on our 48 yard line. That didn't happen and thats why we won the game. Those kind of coaching calls don't show well in stats, but means everything as far as the chess game going on

Listen to Barnett's interview after the game, the reporters kept on asking him what was the difference this game. He said a bunch of politically correct things, but after being asked a number of times he said Field position really helps. Special teams and the offense never really put us in bad situations, it allow Capers to do a lot more things.

Still the penalties are going to bite us in the butt, not this game, they will if we do not get a handle on them.

OP
OP
Quientus

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Rodgers in the Dallas game played very differently than how he has played for most other games through out this season (and last season) ...

Threw the ball away when there wasn't a possibility for the long play and the pocket had collapsed and scrambled for yards on another ...

No "deep balls" - and as Dilligaff posted, the altered offensive scheme, doesn't show up on the stats, but it clearly worked ... - Which begs the question as to why the Packers hasn't done this before ...

Field position surely does help alot, however, when you play smart (like the Packers did yesterday), it won't really matter where on the field you start, as you will most likely always end up in the opponents redzone anyway ... - The important thing is that you get the ball back and the possibility to make some long drives ...

Rodgers finally seems to have accepted that "effectiveness" doesn't necesarily have to mean "great (personal) stats", but more that the end result is a win ... - His play yesterday supports this notion and I for one was happy to see that he seemed to have taken what his team mates (might have) said in their meeting, to heart ...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Stats flat, but Rodgers sparkles ...

I don't think this is entirely new, which is why I've been critic of Rodgers previously ... - And still am though, however, the Dallas game showed, how much more impact, "smarter" qb play can have on the offensive line as a whole as well ... As well as the result ...

Granted, had GB not been ahead, but have had to come from behind, most likely Rodgers stats would have been better, - but as a result, the Packers played far better than they have been for most of this season ...

Congrats to the Packers for a well played and well fought game against a (seemingly) better opponent ...

Also added read - "Food for thought ..." What comes next ?

And a pre-game article (leading up the Cowboys @ Packers match ...) All is not lost just yet.

- Whether you have insider or not is irrelevant ... Here's is how you read it anyway:
(I'm using Firefox, but it works equally with IE)

* Click the link (it will take you to a login screen, - close this tab again)
* Go under files and click "Work offline"
* Now click the link again, and it will show you the entire story ...
(So much for JS Online's web page security ... - haha)

Good read. It's always refreshing when the journalists you count on for honest and thoughtful analysis come thru, unlike 95% of non-sports reporters.

Too bad, though, these journalists didn't begin picking up on TT's shortcomings much sooner. I began to notice them the year Colledge was selected, which was the beginning of the end IMHO.

OP
OP
Quientus

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
:preach:Can I get an AMEND to the jesus meetings and a THANKYOU JESUS!!!!

Once the regular seasons ends ... then maybe ... hah ...

But untill the Packers and Rodgers "proves" this game wasn't a fluke, just like the loss at Tampa Bay seemed like a "fluke" ... I'm still not overtly optimistic just yet ...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once the regular seasons ends ... then maybe ... hah ...

But untill the Packers and Rodgers "proves" this game wasn't a fluke, just like the loss at Tampa Bay seemed like a "fluke" ... I'm still not overtly optimistic just yet ...

I've stated since game 3 that it's gonna take a complete season of consistent ball before I even attempt a "sniff" at optimism.

OP
OP
Quientus

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
The performance in the Dallas game is also why I couldn't understand why so many fans were calling for MM's head, while in the same breath "absolving" Ted Thomson ... - Clearly the coaching staff actually is able to coach the players and it is evident that considering what they (the coaching staff) has to work with, they are infact getting the job done ...

Another thing would seem that most of the players seemingly had been perhaps a little too overconfident in terms of their own abilities ... - And that it took some "serious" talks as well as poor performance for them to realize this ...

In hindsight ... I have no doubts that coming off the incredible 2007 (14-4) season, might have gotten into the heads of the players, and also going into this season (as having to learn a new defensive scheme as well) ...

If the Packers can come out and play like they did Dallas ... I think the games against 49'ers and Lions will be a win ... The next "real" challenge will be when the Packers hosts Baltimore and travel to Pittsburgh, as the Dallas game could very well become the tie breaker that determines whether or not the Packers do in fact get a wild card spot or not ...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The performance in the Dallas game is also why I couldn't understand why so many fans were calling for MM's head, while in the same breath "absolving" Ted Thomson ... - Clearly the coaching staff actually is able to coach the players and it is evident that considering what they (the coaching staff) has to work with, they are infact getting the job done ...

Another thing would seem that most of the players seemingly had been perhaps a little too overconfident in terms of their own abilities ... - And that it took some "serious" talks as well as poor performance for them to realize this ...

In hindsight ... I have no doubts that coming off the incredible 2007 (14-4) season, might have gotten into the heads of the players, and also going into this season (as having to learn a new defensive scheme as well) ...

If the Packers can come out and play like they did Dallas ... I think the games against 49'ers and Lions will be a win ... The next "real" challenge will be when the Packers hosts Baltimore and travel to Pittsburgh, as the Dallas game could very well become the tie breaker that determines whether or not the Packers do in fact get a wild card spot or not ...

I believe it has to do with most people's human nature. Most people think that since TT is MM's boss, that he must be "smarter" or "more intelligent" - which anybody in the white-collar world knows is not necessarily always the case. As a result, MM should be the dude that gets deep-sixed - that will certainly solve all the problems, or so many think.

IMHO, both of these dolts should be shown the door after this season, regardless of wins and losses. TT has proven that he cannot field a consistently sound football team ON ALL LEVELS. MM has proven that he isn't very creative or shrewd because his average talent has only produced one winning season, and that was with Brett Favre.

However, I will asterisk my comments and point out that I don't want to get rid of these dudes and then replace them with recycled NFL GM's and coaches who never were good to begin with, a la a Norv Turner and Michael Lombardi, etc. It should be a confidential search for at least the GM and if we can secure a dandy like a Wolf, then make the change. I think Green Bay in the hands of MM as the coach and a solid GM is better than what we currently have, or removing both MM and TT.

Members online

Latest posts