EDS signs with Bucs

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, don't hold your breath on TT drafting a center. I'm 99% sure that every olineman on the roster that TT has drafted was a left tackle their senior year of college and TT plugs them in wherever depending on their feet. Lane Taylor is the only guy that started at a different position in college and he was undrafted.

Second, center is where guys who aren't that athletic /don't have great feet go (with exceptions for guys like Alex Mack) and you can find replacements pretty easily as long as they know the offense and can snap. I suspect that Tretter is looking good and that they're probably working Taylor and Barclay there as well. He took a bunch of snaps there in training camp until Bulaga got hurt and they needed him at RT, and that's exactly the kind of place you put someone who can't handle speed because of lousy feet.

Third, the great Scott Wells was a seventh round pick. Chris Myers was a sixth rounder. Matt Birk was a sixth rounder too. You don't need to spend a high pick to find a good center, and spending a lot of money at a position like that isn't efficient. That's the best way to think of what TT tries to do; even if they like EDS and think he deserves that money, is it an efficient way for the team to spend it's money.

Finally would you rather have EDS and EITHER Nelson or Cobb, or would you rather take your chances with Tretter/Taylor/Barclay and have both Nelson AND Cobb?

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, don't hold your breath on TT drafting a center. I'm 99% sure that every olineman on the roster that TT has drafted was a left tackle their senior year of college and TT plugs them in wherever depending on their feet. Lane Taylor is the only guy that started at a different position in college and he was undrafted.

Second, center is where guys who aren't that athletic /don't have great feet go (with exceptions for guys like Alex Mack) and you can find replacements pretty easily as long as they know the offense and can snap. I suspect that Tretter is looking good and that they're probably working Taylor and Barclay there as well. He took a bunch of snaps there in training camp until Bulaga got hurt and they needed him at RT, and that's exactly the kind of place you put someone who can't handle speed because of lousy feet.

Third, the great Scott Wells was a seventh round pick. Chris Myers was a sixth rounder. Matt Birk was a sixth rounder too. You don't need to spend a high pick to find a good center, and spending a lot of money at a position like that isn't efficient. That's the best way to think of what TT tries to do; even if they like EDS and think he deserves that money, is it an efficient way for the team to spend it's money.

Finally would you rather have EDS and EITHER Nelson or Cobb, or would you rather take your chances with Tretter/Taylor/Barclay and have both Nelson AND Cobb?
If you asking me, the question is crazy. Signing Nelson and Cobb has nothing to with making a decision to sign EDS.

No problem, a 6th/7th round pick or undrafted FA to replace your starting center. TT has it under control. Amazing--GB has no cap problems. TT wants to have one of the youngest rosters in the NFL.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would rather have all of them and not brad ****ing jones.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easily replaced IMO and glad they didn't pay him that much money when we have someone I think will be more athletic and will develop into a better player. That being JC Tretter. He is unproven, but I don't think it will take long for people to see why they were willing to let EDS go. EDS was solid, but again, I am in the camp that Tretter will just be more athletic and develop into a very good player vs solid player. Nothing against EDS...he was solid. Also they will obviously draft a Center. We don't have as much $ cap room as people think and we have to be smart with it as we have a couple expensive contracts/extensions coming due soon with Nelson and Cobb.

Last edited:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easily replaced IMO and glad they didn't pay him that much money when we have someone I think will be more athletic and will develop into a better player. That being JC Tretter. He is unproven, but I don't think it will take long for people to see why they were willing to let EDS go. EDS was solid, but again, I am in the camp that Tretter will just be more athletic and develop into a very good player vs solid player. Nothing against EDS...he was solid. Also they will obviously draft a Center. We don't have as much $ cap room as people think and we have to be smart with it as we have a couple expensive contracts/extensions coming due soon with Nelson and Cobb.
Go Tretter! Go Sherrod! Go Bulaga!

TT has drafted 17 OL players. Draft some more! Or go with the scrap heap FA's. TT is revered for one reason, no two--Favre and Rodgers and their durability and ability to escape.

GB doesn't have much cap room as people think. What does that mean? An injured unproven rookie that TT drafted will be a better player than the one your future HOF QB wanted resigned. Okay!

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go Tretter! Go Sherrod! Go Bulaga!

TT has drafted 17 OL players. Draft some more! Or go with the scrap heap FA's. TT is revered for one reason, no two--Favre and Rodgers and their durability and ability to escape.

GB doesn't have much cap room as people think. What does that mean? An injured unproven rookie that TT drafted will be a better player than the one your future HOF QB wanted resigned. Okay!

YEP. Your post really offers No Argument, other than to just try to be negative. I have to say TT did awesome with Bakhtiari. Stole him in the 4th. Bulaga is an excellent RT. If your argument is injuries...fine...I will be the first to say they have been unlucky with injuries, but that doesn't mean they aren't good or are injury prone. Sherrod is somewhat unproven yet because his leg snapped in half due to a freak injury, but that doesn't mean he can't recover and that he can't become good. Flanagan did. Sherrod has the frame and is a talented player, just needs some playing time now that he is healthy. If he doesn't win the starting LT job due to the emergence of Bahktiari, then he gives us excellent depth. TT also has done an awesome job getting Sitton and Lang in the 4th rounds of the draft. And yes, when we have extensions coming up being that of Nelson and Cobb those are going to be expensive. Unless of course you would rather TT just pay every average player like EDS good money so we can't afford to pay our core players. Thanks, but no thanks.

Last edited:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YEP. Did pretty well with Bakhtari. Stole him in the 4th. Bulaga is very solid at RT. Sherrod is unproven yet because his leg snapped in half due to a freak injury, but that doesn't mean he can't recover. He has the frame and is a talented player, just needs some playing time now that he is healthy. TT also has done an awesome job getting Sitton and Lang in the 4th rounds of the draft. And yes, when we have extensions coming up being that of Nelson and Cobb those are going to be expensive. Unless of course you would rather TT just pay every average player good money so we can't afford to pay our core players. Thanks, but no thanks.
Understand. I'll give you 3/17 on OL drafts. What does EDS have to do with Nelson and Cobb?

Enjoy the evening!

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Understand. I'll give you 3/17 on OL drafts. What does EDS have to do with Nelson and Cobb?

Enjoy the evening!

You can't pay everyone! That's what EDS has to do with Nelson and Cobb. Both Nelson and Cobb will need to be extended soon. 3/17...that's a ridiculous comment. So, Sitton and Lang suck? Bulaga sucks? Bahktiari sucks? That's 4 already...so it should be at least 4/17. lol And what is that some ridiculous stat over how many years? Who cares. We have the right players at the right spots, that's what matters. Players come and go, that's the NFL...they can't all be starters or pro bowlers...some are backups. Who cares. We seemingly have more depth now at OT than we have had in some time. Center is a position that can be easily replaced. If you are going to make a point, then make one instead of creating some statistic that has no meaning or context.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't pay everyone! That's what EDS has to do with Nelson and Cobb. Both Nelson and Cobb will need to be extended soon. 3/17...that's a ridiculous comment. So, Sitton and Lang suck? Bulaga sucks? Bahktiari sucks? That's 4 already...so it should be at least 4/17. lol And what is that some ridiculous stat over how many years? Who cares. We have the right players at the right spots, that's what matters. Players come and go, that's the NFL...they can't all be starters or pro bowlers...some are backups. Who cares. We seemingly have more depth now at OT than we have had in some time. Center is a position that can be easily replaced. If you are going to make a point, then make one instead of creating some statistic that has no meaning or context.
Yes Sir--Sorry about my ill founded assessment. I too am glad that EDS is gone and have faith that GB has all positions covered with the right players.

Good night!

H

HardRightEdge

Thompson does not like paying centers. McCarthy has been asking for a bigger guy at the position seemingly forever.

This is no surprise, and should not be a particular disappointment to anybody. A guy who can run block better than EDS would be a big plus. Someone out of the Tretter/Barclay/Lang group will emerge and/or we draft a guy in the mid-rounds with college experience to compete.

The center position should be low on the list of concerns.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If I remember correctly Barclay botched a lot of snaps during camp, so I don't think I would be comfortable with him playing center.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I would have preferred EDS to sign a deal that would be in essence a two year deal so they could groom his successor. OL is the group that relies on cohesiveness more than any other and now Rodgers and the OL will have to “break in” another OC: Wells, Saturday, EDS, ???. The Packers did see Tretter practice against the first team D from mid-November on, but having a OC play his first NFL down on opening day is obviously less than ideal. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...g-skills-at-center-b99158059z1-234857661.html

Of course I hope Tretter is the answer at OC. He’s young, big and cheap. If he isn’t I hope they don’t have to switch Lang there – I think his best position is the one he played last season and I think keeping the OGs in place will help the continuity of the OL and also help the new OC with line calls.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Barclay botched a lot of snaps during camp, so I don't think I would be comfortable with him playing center.

I'm sure Barclay understands that with Bulaga and Sherrod coming back, he's going to have a lot harder time making the team than in previous years. Given that and how the Packers want their linemen to be versatile enough to carry fewer on the active roster, I'm sure he's been working on his snaps and line calls. I'd rather judge him after he's had a while to work than on one training camp.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson does not like paying centers. McCarthy has been asking for a bigger guy at the position seemingly forever.

This is no surprise, and should not be a particular disappointment to anybody. A guy who can run block better than EDS would be a big plus. Someone out of the Tretter/Barclay/Lang group will emerge and/or we draft a guy in the mid-rounds with college experience to compete.

How quickly we forget the Saturday disaster....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with this. The middle of the oline wasn't that good last year. If the staff is confident in Tretter or another replacement then so am I.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The middle of the oline wasn't that good last year.
I disagree. Most of the problems on the OL were not in the middle IMO. The weakest link by far was Barclay and Bakhtiari needs to get stronger. As to EDS I've read a scout from another team quoted as saying he doesn't have the size or length you want at OC. Even so with better play from the OTs and a legit running threat I would have preferred EDS back for at least a year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm fine with this. The middle of the oline wasn't that good last year. If the staff is confident in Tretter or another replacement then so am I.
Why cant more people think this way?

Every forum has posters that come off as "I know better than the coaches and gm"

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thompson doesn't

Every forum has posters that come off as "I know better than the coaches and gm"
LTF--If you didn't have posters that offered up their opinion, you might not have a forum!

I love the banter as long as some type of logic, data and some solid opinion is used as a fondation!

Just my opinion!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson doesn't

LTF--If you didn't have posters that offered up their opinion, you might not have a forum!

I love the banter as long as some type of logic, data and some solid opinion is used as a fondation!

Just my opinion!
Opinions can be expressed in many ways.

What the hell is TT thinking? The cheap bastard's ego causes him to destroy the Packers! Why wouldn't he sign Ware?!?!?! OMG! I guess mediocrity is acceptable to TT and many of the fans here. TT doesn't understand free agency and he sucks at drafting.

or

I would have liked us to sign Ware. He is only 32 and just last season he demonstrated that he still can be a force. The Cowboys used him more as a .. . . . where, I think if we . . . he could help . . . For instance, on 26% of defensive snaps in the 3-4 the last 2 seasons in Dallas, . . . . We could afford his salary, probably in the X/yr range by not resigning . . .

Contrary to the opinions of some, nobody is looking for blind faith. Just reasonable and rationale thought and analysis when it comes to discussing the Packers. Yet every big name FA that becomes available, there will be a few of the first posts. Just gets old and annoying.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because most people posting online sit and watch the football shows on ESPN and NFL Network, and then post with authority. A little bit of knowledge is more dangerous....

H

HardRightEdge

Lacy's high yards after contact made the run blocking look better than it is. EDS was a weak link in this regard.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy's high yards after contact made the run blocking look better than it is. EDS was a weak link in this regard.

It did make the run blocking look better, but I still think the run blocking was very good. After watching the highlights of Lacy's big runs, he had big holes for all of the ones I've seen.

Members online

Latest posts