EDS signs with Bucs

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry, I don't partake in the sky is falling in the offseason often.

I don't think the sky is falling because of it, but it would have been smarter to bring him back. Right now we don't have anyone on the roster who has experience at the position and it adds another position to the list of needing an upgrade.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the sky is falling because of it, but it would have been smarter to bring him back. Right now we don't have anyone on the roster who has experience at the position and it adds another position to the list of needing an upgrade.
So you have no faith in tretter. Lang could be an option as it's been discussed before, but obviously I would rather go draft or in house.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So you have no faith in tretter. Lang could be an option as it's been discussed before, but obviously I would rather go draft or in house.

I don't know how anyone could have any faith in Tretter right now, he hasn't played a single down in the NFL and he didn't play center at Cornell. Rather have Lang stay at RG.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They obviously have confidence in Tretter. They also were trying to get bigger at the position since Wells; Saturday and EDS weren't any bigger. Tretter is.

As far as freaking out, people freaked out when we let other starters go; Jennings, Wells, Jenkins, Driver. "How are we going to replace them?"

The same way we got them in the first place, draft or UDFA.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

As far as freaking out, people freaked out when we let other starters go; Jennings, Wells, Jenkins, Driver. "How are we going to replace them?"

The same way we got them in the first place, draft or UDFA.

Yeah, we've done a great job replacing Cullen Jenkins. :rolleyes:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT replaced Bulaga with some guy name Bakhtiari we've never heard of, out of a currently terrible college program. And it was at a more difficult position than center.

EDS can be replaced as well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

TT replaced Bulaga with some guy name Bakhtiari we've never heard of, out of a currently terrible college program. And it was at a more difficult position than center.

EDS can be replaced as well.

While I agree Bakhtiari did an admirable job stepping in at LT, he was one of the worst LTs in the league.

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know Pryor or Dix will be on the board at our pick and everyone will be excited until TT drafts a center instead.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, we've done a great job replacing Cullen Jenkins. :rolleyes:
Mike Daniels stats have been identical to Cullen Jenkins in his prime rushing the passer. "Mike Daniels is a premier player" said one NFC scout. I would really encourage you to read the bottom link.

Also, thanks for not mentioning the other ones and cherry picking. I think Woodson would be the only guy we've let go who you could make a argument for. And he's on the open market again this year; possibly retiring, with so little interest.

http://m.jsonline.com/packers#/articles/232162491

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Mike Daniels stats have been identical to Cullen Jenkins in his prime rushing the passer. "Mike Daniels is a premier player" said one NFC scout. I would really encourage you to read the bottom link.

I agree about Daniels, but it took more than two years to replace Jenkins.

Also, thanks for not mentioning the other ones and cherry picking.

It took a year to adequatly replace Wells as well. Jennings and Driver aren't good examples in this case as we had a lot of depth at WR at the time they left the Packers.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently the Patriots starting center is a FA. In his upper 20s, so not long in the tooth. Probably a cheaper option. And if he could handle Brady, you'd think he'd be capable of handling Rodgers. No clue if he's talented or not obviously. But that's a guy that might make sense.

I think the bottom line is that TT doesn't want to pay for a C. The offense has managed just fine with having three different centers for the past three years. And with only so much money available, this is the position that is getting squeezed. I'll be the first to admit I wanted EDS back. But, there has to be some weaker spots on rosters and this evidently is one the team feels is easiest to handle.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about Daniels, but it took more than two years to replace Jenkins.

It took a year to adequatly replace Wells as well. Jennings and Driver aren't good examples in this case as we had a lot of depth at WR at the time they left the Packers.

How about taking zero years to move from one HOF QB to another? It takes decades for some franchises. I mean, god forbid it takes two years to replace one stud DL (who's done not much since moving on) with another, younger option.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree Bakhtiari did an admirable job stepping in at LT, he was one of the worst LTs in the league.

For his draft round at a premium position, I was impressed. He had a great start to the season, but a rough ending. I don't see why he can't play as well as he did to start the year again or even get better. I think he's one of our starting tackles for a long time. And not the only one who has this opinion

"Bakhtiari was an absolute steal in the fourth round, and the Packers are already seeing significant returns from a player who they didn't expect to be so vital to their plans so early in his career. Get used to seeing Bakhtiari in the starting lineup, because it's where he seems likely to stay for perhaps the rest of Rodgers' career."

http://msn.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/packers-annual-checkup-david-bakhtiari-012814

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Apparently the Patriots starting center is a FA. In his upper 20s, so not long in the tooth. Probably a cheaper option. And if he could handle Brady, you'd think he'd be capable of handling Rodgers. No clue if he's talented or not obviously. But that's a guy that might make sense.

I guess you're talking about Ryan Wendell, who would probably be cheaper than EDS, but not as talented though. PFF ranked him 33rd out of 35 centers last year (EDS being 8th), the guy allowed 37 QB pressures (EDS 14).

I think the bottom line is that TT doesn't want to pay for a C.

Then he has obviously changed his approach after Saturday didn't work out.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

For his draft round at a premium position, I was impressed. He had a great start to the season, but a rough ending. I don't see why he can't play as well as he did to start the year again or even get better. I think he's one of our starting tackles for a long time. And not the only one who has this opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I think Bakhtiari could be our long term solution at LT, but he has to improve, especially in run blocking.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

How about taking zero years to move from one HOF QB to another? It takes decades for some franchises. I mean, god forbid it takes two years to replace one stud DL (who's done not much since moving on) with another, younger option.

TT deserves credit for replacing Favre with Rodgers, nobody's doubting that. But he has made his share of mistakes as well like the inability to replace Collins so far.

I think not bringing EDS back could turn out being a mistake as well.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers would have paid more to EDS than Tampa due to Florida's no income tax.

Plus, I bet EDS stepped outside and felt warm for the first time in months and thought why wouldn't I leave Wisconsin for this?

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT deserves credit for replacing Favre with Rodgers, nobody's doubting that. But he has made his share of mistakes as well like the inability to replace Collins so far.

I think not bringing EDS back could turn out being a mistake as well.
It really is interesting to see how some folks interpret things.

EDS is now marginal and replaceable. I would ask this--How do you pay more annually for Raji than EDS received from TB?

And many posts speak to how cheap or how inexpensive a FA player might be as opposed to how they could contribute regardless of salary.

In the eyes of most, TT does no wrong--Trust in TT. We'll see. He better have a stellar draft and '12 and '13 draft and develop players need to step up.

I bet Capers is a happy man.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really is interesting to see how some folks interpret things.

EDS is now marginal and replaceable. I would ask this--How do you pay more annually for Raji than EDS received from TB?

And many posts speak to how cheap or how inexpensive a FA player might be as opposed to how they could contribute regardless of salary.

In the eyes of most, TT does no wrong--Trust in TT. We'll see. He better have a stellar draft and '12 and '13 draft and develop players need to step up.

I bet Capers is a happy man.

To me, projecting a one year deal over many years doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A one year deal, by only being a one year deal, is going to be higher than a longer one.

Edit: Adding on that a contract in Florida is worth more due to no income tax than a contract in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the bottom line is that TT doesn't want to pay for a C. The offense has managed just fine with having three different centers for the past three years. And with only so much money available, this is the position that is getting squeezed. I'll be the first to admit I wanted EDS back. But, there has to be some weaker spots on rosters and this evidently is one the team feels is easiest to handle.
Nice rationalization. There is really no back up center--Admit some options. But why open up another question mark in a position when your QB endorsed him and he really didn't receive an inflated contract from TB.

Why, as always, is TT holding on to the money? He needs to resign Nelson/Cobb and pay his '14 draft choices. There is nothing else that material to the cap. Head scratching.

Latest posts