Eddie lacy really was fat

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to say told u so... But i think I was only one here or other forums posting he had alcohol issues.

Go ahead and search my posts.... Its there... Along with Rodgers having torn meniscus..

But what do I know? Maybe just a really good player?
You're greatness is officially noted. :tup:

D

Deleted member 6794

With all of this, plus him going into a contract year, all signs are pointing for Lacy to have maybe his best season yet.

After reports from this week's OTA practice I'm not totally convinced by that. There's no denying Lacy got in shape while training with Horton but it seems he gained some weight again after getting back to Green Bay. If that's true it's extremely disappointed and has me concerned about his production this season.

And again I ask, where the heck Was the staff? Lacy came into camp overweight last season. Yet mm waited till after this season to address his weight?

I'm convinced the coaching staff addressed the issue before and during the season internally but McCarthy waited until after it to criticize Lacy publicly.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reports from this week's OTA practice I'm not totally convinced by that. There's no denying Lacy got in shape while training with Horton but it seems he gained some weight again after getting back to Green Bay. If that's true it's extremely disappointed and has me concerned about his production this season.

I'm convinced the coaching staff addressed the issue before and during the season internally but McCarthy waited until after it to criticize Lacy publicly.

Ok fine, maybe they did. But what I'm saying is he couldn't have been add to lose weight during the season?

D

Deleted member 6794

Ok fine, maybe they did. But what I'm saying is he couldn't have been add to lose weight during the season?

I agree that Lacy should have been asked to lose weight at the time he reported out of shape to training camp.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Step one is to address the alcohol problem and disciplinary issues - hence Eddie's loss of the starting job and jettisoning his drinking buddy in Alonzo Harris.

It's hard to address weight issues in the season. Did you want them to have Eddie running extra sprints mid-week, potentially tiring out his legs for Sunday? Did you want McCarthy or Sam Gash going home with Eddie each night, peaking in his fridge, and giving nods of approval and disapproval at each meal? Some comments are a little unrealistic. As Captain said, I'm sure that it was discussed internally with Eddie but again, what can you realistically do in the pros? College is different because you can yank scholarships, kick players off of the team, etc. That's tougher to do in the NFL especially with your starting RB who has proven to be a very good player.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Players are subject to weekly weigh ins..

So how did eddy get away with being over weight

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And again I as

And again I ask, where the heck Was the staff? Lacy came into camp overweight last season. Yet mm waited till after this season to address his weight?

And yet again I ask, what were the coaches supposed to DO? Play him less? They did that. You can't bench him because the team's other RB has durability issues and isn't a full-time RB. Maybe if the offense was having success you could afford to bench him but with the issues the passing game had last year you can't expect the coach to sit Lacy.

Could McCarthy have called him out during the season. Yup. Would that have accomplished anything at all other than to make people feel better about "punishing" Lacy? Nope. They guy showed up to camp overweight. I'm pretty sure the CBA doesn't allow the coaches to force players to eat only what the coaches want in the off-season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Players are subject to weekly weigh ins..

So how did eddy get away with being over weight

Some players with histories of weight issues have weight clauses in their contracts so it can hurt them monetarily if they're overweight. I doubt such a clause was included in Lacy's rookie contract because this want a guy with a history of weight problems. Other than that, weigh-ins are just about monitoring weight.

I'm sure the coaches wanted him to lose weight but (I've said this before) the CBA doesn't allow coaches to hire shady guys to stalk players and kick them when they order fast food or drink too much. Maybe in the next CBA but it's not in this one.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That picture of him from early this spring and the Lacy now I agree....he looks bigger than he did prior to OTA....which is very concerning.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They aren't dogs you can lock in a kennel. Jesus, Eddie is a man, Mike McCarthy is a man. They are both very good at their jobs. Eddie is young and lost focus. MM got his message across. Eddie is focused again. He was benched, he saw less playing time, he was given more playing time. and when the season was over he said it publicly. Those aren't things you talk about publicly in season, at least not IMO. Not with a guy like Eddie, who by all accounts has been a good guy and player. Maybe if you're releasing a locker room cancer, but even then, MM will probably just keep focus on the task at hand and not the problem they're getting rid of.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a contract year and he appears to have shed quite a bit of the excess. If TT chooses to re-sign Lacy I'm pretty sure there WILL be a weight clause and bonus $$ tied to playing weight. Kind of dumb for Lacy to give ANY reason for GB not to re-sign him, but personal irresponsibility is one that may be a factor during negotiations. As mentioned above by El Guapo... hiring a year-round personal chef sounds like a VERY smart financial decision by Lacy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

what's the confusion? There were pictures of Lacy in off season down during his training with Horton....and pictures now once back at GB....my eyes see a "bigger" Lacy slightly now than then.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet again I ask, what were the coaches supposed to DO? Play him less? They did that. You can't bench him because the team's other RB has durability issues and isn't a full-time RB. Maybe if the offense was having success you could afford to bench him but with the issues the passing game had last year you can't expect the coach to sit Lacy.

Could McCarthy have called him out during the season. Yup. Would that have accomplished anything at all other than to make people feel better about "punishing" Lacy? Nope. They guy showed up to camp overweight. I'm pretty sure the CBA doesn't allow the coaches to force players to eat only what the coaches want in the off-season.

No one said to bench him...however, you can tell him if his weight effects his performance he could lose playing time and be subject to benching. This more than a fair approach.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one said to bench him...however, you can tell him if his weight effects his performance he could lose playing time and be subject to benching. This more than a fair approach.

He did lose playing time. Are you assuming that the coaches never said anything to Lacy about his weight and just decided to play him less for some other reason?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what's the confusion? There were pictures of Lacy in off season down during his training with Horton....and pictures now once back at GB....my eyes see a "bigger" Lacy slightly now than then.
I saw one bad picture of Eddie from OTA's. He looks good, and hell, we don't want him to be TOO small. He's still a powerback.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw one bad picture of Eddie from OTA's. He looks good, and hell, we don't want him to be TOO small. He's still a powerback.

It would take him another 30-40 pounds of loss to be too small...well depending on if we losing fat or muscle. Eddie looks awesome compared to last year no doubt, not a soul would dispute that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pete Dougherty guessed that Lacy currenty weights around 240 pounds. There´s no reason to be concerned that he will become too small.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pete Dougherty guessed that Lacy currenty weights around 240 pounds. There´s no reason to be concerned that he will become too small.

Still 240. I was really hoping he'd get back to more rookie weight...however, we don't know the make up of that 240. I could easily see Tony Horton having made Eddie less %body fat at 240 than last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Still 240. I was really hoping he'd get back to more rookie weight...however, we don't know the make up of that 240. I could easily see Tony Horton having made Eddie less %body fat at 240 than last year.

I think that Lacy would hugely benefit from playing at a weight in the low 230s. Once again, in my opinion it´s concerning that he seemingly gained weight again after stopping to train with Horton.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed Capt. I simply don't know if Eddie has that drive to be great...he is an awesome guy and I love him and his family mentality and kid natured persona...but he lacks that drive if you will it would seem.

He has long said he would rather watch cartoons than games...and only football outside of his carear he really takes in is Madden.

I just wonder if this is a career of desire or convenience at times for him.

I still think it clicks for him at some point...his potential is outstanding...so much so it may not be affordable in GB.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a guy has no desire to be in shape and be more productive that's on him. Packers haven't had a guy who can get in the open field and outrun people since Ryan Grant.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me ask this, has this apparent weight issue of his affected his performance on the field? I personally really liked what I saw out of Lacy last season. Nobody complains of his weight when he's gobbling up yardage, munching 1st downs and touchdowns. I like this guys style, pounding through for extra yardage half a defensive core on his back and he's still going. Remember those plays? I'm not saying he doesn't have a weight issue, that's up to the training staff. What we do know and can't dispute is this cats got serious talent as a RB.

Basically whatever apparent weight issue he may of had didn't appear to negativity impact his performance last season. Lacy = Beast. All the better for our running game.