Eddie lacy really was fat

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like you're having huge troubles with reading comprehension. Not once in this thread nor all offseason for that matter did I mention that I expect Lacy to struggle mightily this season again.

I suggested to not get too excited about his performance in meaningless preseason games against vanilla defenses though. Especially as he averaged six yards a carry during the first two preseason games in 2015 as well. Don't fool yourself though, Lacy looking like he hasn't lost any weight compared to the 2015 season is reason for concern.

And here's what I've been saying for months and is still true in my opinion:

The Packers should be extremely reluctant to sign Lacy to a lucrative long- term contract next offseason after what happened in 2015 and especially with him not losing significant weight after being told to do so.

I would like the Packers to use a day 2 draft pick on a running back next year instead of re-signing Lacy.

Someone happens to mention that Eddie Lacy looks good and you are all over them telling them not get excited about meaningless preseason games. Several people say he still looks fat, out of shape and that he lacks motivation and you say nothing. Why aren't you telling them to wait until the regular season begins before making their judgments. If its OK to say he looks like like the same old Eddie after a few meaningless preseason games why is it not OK to say he looks good after a few meaningless preseason games? That's what I am saying.

Personally I read nothing into the preseason. I've seen probably a dozen plays total and I don't really expect to see any in the last game either. I don't know how good Lacy looked and honestly I don't care. I take stats with a grain of salt and I expect to let the players show me what they can do when the season starts. I caution people not to get to excited and I caution them not to get to down hearted over any given player. Its pretty much the same way you feel and we agree on that. I just feel that you show a bit of a double standard when it comes to people you personally don't care for and Lacy sure fits that bill. I suppose we all feel that way on occasion. We defend the guys we like with a little more vigor and the guys we don't care for we are either quicker to criticize or at the very least not so willing to defend.

Its no secret how you feel about Lacy and I have no problem with that. I won't even go so far as to say I think you are wrong. We should be cautious with him. We should not be thinking about throwing money after him right now but I also think we should give him a chance to show what he can do before we write him off as some seem to have done and what you seem to be OK with (people writing him off I mean)

D

Deleted member 6794

Someone happens to mention that Eddie Lacy looks good and you are all over them telling them not get excited about meaningless preseason games. Several people say he still looks fat, out of shape and that he lacks motivation and you say nothing. Why aren't you telling them to wait until the regular season begins before making their judgments. If its OK to say he looks like like the same old Eddie after a few meaningless preseason games why is it not OK to say he looks good after a few meaningless preseason games? That's what I am saying.

Well, unfortunately Lacy looks to have the same amount of weight than in 2015. Therefore I consider it justified to be concerned about him entering this season. The only way he changes that perception is to perform on a high level in regular season games and not meaningless ones during the preseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sounds like Lacy will be doing some more "trimming down" :coffee:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...get-a-haircut-after-being-tackled-by-his-hair

While I know a lot of people are worried that Eddie looks as big as he did last year, I think more emphasis should be put on his conditioning. He will never be an Adrian Peterson type runner, but maybe by the end of his career he could be compared to someone like Jerome Bettis. IMO he appears to be in better condition then he was last year. He has looked sharper with some of his cuts, quicker to the hole and his 5.7 yard ave. per carry is more then decent. Sure its preseason, but for the most part Lacy has been running against other teams 1st team defenses and doing it without some of the Packers most important weapons playing along side him on offense. So while the games don't count, this hasn't been Lacy running over 2nd and 3rd stringers. Yes, the proof of his conditioning will play out over the next 5 months.

I think many had unrealistic expectations and thought they were going to see a much leaner Lacy and when they didn't see a huge change, assumptions were made that he is no better then the guy who had a 4.1 ave. last year. I'm in the optimistic camp on Lacy. It's public knowledge that he is fighting poor dietary and alcohol consumption issues, but if he can get a handle (usually doesn't happen over night) on those issues, while maintaining his conditioning, I think he will be the running back everybody hoped for and wants in Green Bay.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed whether or not Eddie is wearing fat pads underneath his jersey, just to get Captain worked up? :D

D

Deleted member 6794

While I know a lot of people are worried that Eddie looks as big as he did last year, I think more emphasis should be put on his conditioning. He will never be an Adrian Peterson type runner, but maybe by the end of his career he could be compared to someone like Jerome Bettis. IMO he appears to be in better condition then he was last year. He has looked sharper with some of his cuts, quicker to the hole and his 5.7 yard ave. per carry is more then decent. Sure its preseason, but for the most part Lacy has been running against other teams 1st team defenses and doing it without some of the Packers most important weapons playing along side him on offense. So while the games don't count, this hasn't been Lacy running over 2nd and 3rd stringers. Yes, the proof of his conditioning will play out over the next 5 months.

I think many had unrealistic expectations and thought they were going to see a much leaner Lacy and when they didn't see a huge change, assumptions were made that he is no better then the guy who had a 4.1 ave. last year. I'm in the optimistic camp on Lacy. It's public knowledge that he is fighting poor dietary and alcohol consumption issues, but if he can get a handle (usually doesn't happen over night) on those issues, while maintaining his conditioning, I think he will be the running back everybody hoped for and wants in Green Bay.

It's disappointing that Lacy looks like he hasn't lost significant weight compared to last season. He might be in better shape but I wouldn't count on it. As I've said repeatedly he averaged six yards a carry during the first two games of the 2015 preseason so being optimistic about his current stat line isn't justified.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even remember what game it was, but he had a couple runs in a row, was gassed and waved in Starks. He never came back in that i saw. I couldn't believe he didn't finish the series at least. while his burst and running was nice to see, the stamina wasnt there

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again, I think some fans expectations for Eddie were set a bit high. He is a big man and probably always will be a big man. As long as he can provide enough quality carries to give the offense a formidable running game, AR and his arm can do the rest. I think his inability to be a 3 down 4 quarter back was one of the reasons resigning Starks was priority to TT and the Packers....but lets not go there. :D

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even remember what game it was, but he had a couple runs in a row, was gassed and waved in Starks. He never came back in that i saw. I couldn't believe he didn't finish the series at least. while his burst and running was nice to see, the stamina wasnt there

really? LOL that's bad!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always love the extremism that gets injected into these conversations. If somebody says Eddie Lacy looks overweight then somebody else says, "not every running back looks like Peterson!" as if that's the only other option.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Keep in mind he does suffer from asthma which is made worse in cold, dry weather.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I always love the extremism that gets injected into these conversations. If somebody says Eddie Lacy looks overweight then somebody else says, "not every running back looks like Peterson!" as if that's the only other option.
Speaking for myself, since I specifically said "He will never be an Adrian Peterson type runner", its a mere fact with a stark contrast for those expecting a miracle transformation from Eddy because of his off season program with Tony Horton. For some AP is the gold standard when it comes to NFL Running backs. But AP spreads 220 lbs over a taller frame (6' 1") VS Lacy at "240ish" and 5' 11". Not to mention their running styles are completely different. But the big thing that separates the 2 is what AP does in the off season. He supposedly is a workout fanatic and it shows in his body, conditioning and his play. As I said, I would be just fine if Lacy ends up having a career like Jerome Bettis, but people shouldn't expect too much change in just 1 off season.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is getting out of breath.. Last week vs Oakland, he walked back to sideline and could not stop breathing so hard

Are you aware that Lacy has asthma. I do as well. I'm in pretty good health but any amount of exercise and I look like I'm going to keel over.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind he does suffer from asthma which is made worse in cold, dry weather.
I know, and maybe that was it, but he looked gassed, not like he was waving an attack. And it was this preseason. Would have been at lambeau or in CA in nice weather.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you aware that Lacy has asthma. I do as well. I'm in pretty good health but any amount of exercise and I look like I'm going to keel over.
I'm more aware of what his issues are..mostly alcohol type..

My point is he really hasn't lost much weight since last year..

His conditioning is horrible.. couldn't catch his breath, After a short stint on offense.. That shouldn't happen at this point.. The coaches have been playing him more to get his conditioning up..

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, I think some fans expectations for Eddie were set a bit high. He is a big man and probably always will be a big man.

As I said, I would be just fine if Lacy ends up having a career like Jerome Bettis, but people shouldn't expect too much change in just 1 off season.

I'm well aware that Lacy will always be a big running back but it's not too much to expect him to keep his weight around 235 pounds.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, and maybe that was it, but he looked gassed, not like he was waving an attack. And it was this preseason. Would have been at lambeau or in CA in nice weather.

My comment on the weather pertained to his play throughout the year, not that specific game. Not real sure how someone can differentiate between "gassed" and asthma related issues from a few seconds on tv....

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My comment on the weather pertained to his play throughout the year, not that specific game. Not real sure how someone can differentiate between "gassed" and asthma related issues from a few seconds on tv....
Does it matter? If he can't run the ball for than 4 times a possession does it matter what's causing it? and gasping for air because you're gassed looks different than gasping for air because you physically can't breath can cause a bit more urgency from the person. Panic isn't the right word unless it's a severe attack. But in the same way someone running quickly looks different than someone running for their very life looks different. You might not be able to describe the difference in fast, but you can see it.

and I said, maybe it was his asthma, but to me he looked gassed. Maybe it was both. Either way, he had the burst I wanted to see, he didn't have the stamina. If he doesn't have it at the beginning of the year in good weather, do you think it will get better?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers needed Lacy to be a beast this season to balance their offense. Now that he is back up to 255 it looks like Lacy is more of a balloon than a beast. For anyone who thinks Lacy can Excell in the NFL carrying around an extra 20 pounds go strap 20 pounds on your back, run around and tell me whether the extra load makes you quicker. An extra 20 may not hinder a NT, but it does a RB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now that he is back up to 255

Do we know that he weighs 255? Let's face it, everyone seems to be guessing and it seems like the #1 goal of photographers when it comes to Eddie is to get the most unflattering "fat" picture of him. Reporters seemingly doing the same in what they write.

Personally, I don't really care what his exact weight is. It all comes down to his performance on the field for me. He has a whole season to prove to the world who he is and if anything he did in the off season made a difference. If his critics are right, he won't be back in 2017. But, with Jordy back, the addition of Cook and a more experienced WR group, I'm excited to see what AR and the offense will do. As long as AR is at QB, we really don't need a 20+ carry/game guy and I am hopeful that Eddie and Starks provide just the punch we need at RB to make our offense much better then it was last year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can put me pretty much in the group that doesn't care what he weighs either. He's always going to be bigger, I do want to see some stamina and I don't want him having to go to the bench because he can't finish a drive. I'm not declaring this season anything yet by what he showed in the preseason, i only say I saw about half of the equation that I was looking for. The jury is still out on the 2nd half and he has a season to prove it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
you can put me pretty much in the group that doesn't care what he weighs either. He's always going to be bigger, I do want to see some stamina and I don't want him having to go to the bench because he can't finish a drive. I'm not declaring this season anything yet by what he showed in the preseason, i only say I saw about half of the equation that I was looking for. The jury is still out on the 2nd half and he has a season to prove it.
Agree very much. I'm a hopeful skeptic at this time. Still have Raji flashbacks.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Lacy has played really well so far, I don't understand all the complaining about how he looks currently. His performance is much more important than how fat he looks.

Members online

Latest posts