Eddie lacy really was fat

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to change was fat to is fat. Lacy looks like he is back to 255. He has put on 20 pounds of lard since OTA's. Lacy looks like he is getting ready to replace Penney in the Packers DL rotation. Seriously, he's now been gross out of shape for the past two seasons. He just doesn't have the dedication to serve as your first string RB.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy is just as fat this season. Already see the little weight he lost being put back on. Need to just cut him and move on.
Interesting concept. Even though Lacy was warned to trim down he is as fat as ever. He's a nice guy and you like to root for him but his lack of dedication at this point should be setting off alarms. Wis his penchant for gaining weight I don't think the Packers can count on him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lacy is just as fat this season. Already see the little weight he lost being put back on. Need to just cut him and move on.

There's absolutely no reason to release Lacy now. Considering he hasn't lost a ton of weight compared to last season in a contract year the Packers shouldn't even think about offering him a long-term deal next offseason.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he cuts his hair that may drop a few pounds.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-lacy-debating-haircut-after-dreadlock-tackle

Seriously though he has 20 carries for 114 yards in three preseason games. Can we at least allow him a full regular season game before we declare 2016 a repeat of 2015. From the clip I saw it looks like if it weren't for the dreads he would have had a quite a bit more on that one run. Its too bad he got pulled down because we might have gotten to see if he ran out of steam like he did last year on that long carry.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason to release Lacy now. Considering he hasn't lost a ton of weight compared to last season in a contract year the Packers shouldn't even think about offering him a long-term deal next offseason.

Agree with omitting the option of a long term in the clause. Lacy is in 'do or die' situation, which leaves one to wonder if that factors in his determination this preseason.

All in all, he is looking good so far.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he cuts his hair that may drop a few pounds.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-lacy-debating-haircut-after-dreadlock-tackle

Seriously though he has 20 carries for 114 yards in three preseason games. Can we at least allow him a full regular season game before we declare 2016 a repeat of 2015. From the clip I saw it looks like if it weren't for the dreads he would have had a quite a bit more on that one run. Its too bad he got pulled down because we might have gotten to see if he ran out of steam like he did last year on that long carry.

Lacy played pretty well during the first two preseason games last season as well. I wouldn't get too excited about his performance in meaningless games before seeing him perform on a high level in the regular season.

BTW the offensive line blocked great for the running backs yesterday significantly simplifying their job.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy played pretty well during the first two preseason games last season as well. I wouldn't get too excited about his performance in meaningless games before seeing him perform on a high level in the regular season.

BTW the offensive line blocked great for the running backs yesterday significantly simplifying their job.

So we are supposed to wait for the regular season to get excited about him but its OK to declare a 2015 repeat after a few meaningless games. I don't get excited about anything anyone does in pre season so I probably should have left the stats out of it. My point was that just like it may be too soon to get excited it may be too soon to consider him a bust for the season as some seem to have done.

D

Deleted member 6794

So we are supposed to wait for the regular season to get excited about him but its OK to declare a 2015 repeat after a few meaningless games. I don't get excited about anything anyone does in pre season so I probably should have left the stats out of it. My point was that just like it may be too soon to get excited it may be too soon to consider him a bust for the season as some seem to have done.

I'm concerned because Lacy looks like he hasn't lost any weight compared to last season.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm concerned because Lacy looks like he hasn't lost any weight compared to last season.

but does look faster and not sluggish and out of breath after taking a few steps like last year. Despite his weight, he does seem to be in much better shape health wise than last year. HOWEVER, he is playing just a series or two...we will see how he holds up the entire game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
but does look faster and not sluggish and out of breath after taking a few steps like last year. Despite his weight, he does seem to be in much better shape health wise than last year. HOWEVER, he is playing just a series or two...we will see how he holds up the entire game.

He is getting out of breath.. Last week vs Oakland, he walked back to sideline and could not stop breathing so hard

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to say he looks to have some burst, but not much stamina. 4-5 runs in back to back series and he's done.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why I suggested to wait until the regular season to get excited about Lacy's performance.

And yet you have no problem with people deciding he will be the same old fat Eddie we had in 2015 based on a few series in a few preseason games.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet you have no problem with people deciding he will be the same old fat Eddie we had in 2015 based on a few series in a few preseason games.

Perhaps the point was that a stellar performance against poor opposition doesn't do much to prove elevated performance, but not looking sharp against that same opposition could well portend the same thing, or worse, when it gets real?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crap...i hoped he took care of that or at least toned it down during the season. He needs to watch the Johnny Jolly story movie.

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen mongoose. Amen.
But lets take a different perspective on ALL of this.
1) Lacy runs for 1000 yards as is
That is 3 out of 4 years he rushes for 1k. Pair that as a conceivable option with a top 3 qb thats hard to defend against
2) He stays where is he is size wise
I would have to imagine the packers like him as a player and person, thus not too many teams will not take a flyer on him and his "weight and motivation issues"
3) What other options are there?
Keep a guy who gets 1000 a year rushing and makes you actually respect the running game or get rid of him and keep starks, crockett, and an udfa? Or same idea draft someone in the later rounds?

To me, we have had too many years of a lackluster running game to turn our backs on Lacy. If I recall there have been big backs this league that did their job not ran for 3000 yards in a season, first guy recently i can think of rhymes with Berome Jettis.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Amen mongoose. Amen.
But lets take a different perspective on ALL of this.
1) Lacy runs for 1000 yards as is
That is 3 out of 4 years he rushes for 1k. Pair that as a conceivable option with a top 3 qb thats hard to defend against
2) He stays where is he is size wise
I would have to imagine the packers like him as a player and person, thus not too many teams will not take a flyer on him and his "weight and motivation issues"
3) What other options are there?
Keep a guy who gets 1000 a year rushing and makes you actually respect the running game or get rid of him and keep starks, crockett, and an udfa? Or same idea draft someone in the later rounds?

To me, we have had too many years of a lackluster running game to turn our backs on Lacy. If I recall there have been big backs this league that did their job not ran for 3000 yards in a season, first guy recently i can think of rhymes with Berome Jettis.

If your boss wants you do a certain part of your job that will elevate your performance that will increase productivity, and you flat out say nahhh, I'm OK..

Add in he has given you a year to fix it, but you still don't, isn't that grounds to be let go?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Eddy just isn't motivated, it's that simple.. Why do you think mm literally called him out at end season pc? We all know mm doesn't do that... It's because coaches tried everything. Maybe publicly calling him out was going to work.

It hasnt

D

Deleted member 6794

It seems like you're having huge troubles with reading comprehension. Not once in this thread nor all offseason for that matter did I mention that I expect Lacy to struggle mightily this season again.

I suggested to not get too excited about his performance in meaningless preseason games against vanilla defenses though. Especially as he averaged six yards a carry during the first two preseason games in 2015 as well. Don't fool yourself though, Lacy looking like he hasn't lost any weight compared to the 2015 season is reason for concern.

And here's what I've been saying for months and is still true in my opinion:

The Packers should be extremely reluctant to sign Lacy to a lucrative long- term contract next offseason after what happened in 2015 and especially with him not losing significant weight after being told to do so.

What other options are there? Keep a guy who gets 1000 a year rushing and makes you actually respect the running game or get rid of him and keep starks, crockett, and an udfa? Or same idea draft someone in the later rounds?

I would like the Packers to use a day 2 draft pick on a running back next year instead of re-signing Lacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like you're having huge troubles with reading comprehension. Not once in this thread nor all offseason for that matter did I mention that I expect Lacy to struggle mightily this season again.

I suggested to not get too excited about his performance in meaningless preseason games against vanilla defenses though. Especially as he averaged six yards a carry during the first two preseason games in 2015 as well. Don't fool yourself though, Lacy looking like he hasn't lost any weight compared to the 2015 season is reason for concern.

And here's what I've been saying for months and is still true in my opinion:

The Packers should be extremely reluctant to sign Lacy to a lucrative long- term contract next offseason after what happened in 2015 and especially with him not losing significant weight after being told to do so.

I would like the Packers to use a day 2 draft pick on a running back next year instead of re-signing Lacy.
Lacy is a bruiser. I like him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

This is the same mindset I am in right now with Eddie. Possibly he is down only a few pounds from where he was last year, but he appears to be in better shape (cardio) and most likely healthier from the rest his body got during the off season. But how long will that last if he doesn't shed any or gains even more weight during a long season?

No way do you sign him to a long term contract unless such contract, as someone else alluded to, has strict weight, conditioning and drinking clauses in it. With strict clauses covering the question marks that cloud his future, it could be a win-win middle of the road moneywise contract. But if Eddie continues to gain weight, loses his stamina because of it and has a lackluster or injury filled season, he won't be back in 2017, contract or no contract.

Last edited: