1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Eddie lacy really was fat

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rodell330, May 24, 2016.

1. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,293
    I heard that he lost 15 pounds but is still like around 240. That means he was like 255 last season. Yikes.

2. C-Lee

C-Lee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +361
    That was then, this is now.

He's going to be a beast this year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,787
    i'll take him in that 230-240 range. He's always going to be bigger. What I don't want is overtraining to get some weight goal. Eat right, train right, let the numbers be what they are. overtraining and getting hurt in the first month won't be good either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,481
    stop drinking the beer and make your curfews. he will be fine

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,609
  6. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +298
    I just hope it doesn't affect his game if he drops down to MM's desired goal weight.

It's crazy to think he weighed more than John Kuhn last season, but he looked it

7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,609
    I don´t think it will negatively affect Lacy´s game if he slims down to the weight he´s actually listed at on the Packers roster (234 pounds).

8. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +327
    The Packers want him in low 230's, where he was at the combine. They liked his power & quickness at that weight, not 255-260 where he let himself get last year.

Would Shields be the same player he is at 210? Would Jordy be as explosive playing at 230? These are elite athletes and need to maintain a strong, healthy, "good" weight, which Lacy didn't in '15. Appears he's in shape, eating better and working out properly heading into his contract year.

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    A good interview here with the P90X guy about his training with Lacy: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/380698881.html

Some interesting nuggets were that Lacy's diet was terrible and that he was drinking a lot (which we already knew because of his sorta benching).
    The most concerning part of the article is that the P90X guy said that Lacy had never taken a supplement in his life. Now he has Lacy consuming supplements and formulas made by his company. I really really hope that Lacy cross-referenced the ingredients with the NFL's banned substance lists.

10. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    Likely not the case. Per the article that I linked to above:
    Since other reports that I've read say that Lacy doesn't look as trim as he did in the multiple off-season photos, he likely has put some of the weight back on after returning to Green Bay.

It sounds like Eddie could earn millions of dollars by dropping $100k now to hire a year-round personal chef and personal trainer.

• Like Like x 2
  11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,609
    I´m convinced Horton double-checked that.

12. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    It sounds like the Packers were completely hands off, per the article. So I wouldn't be confident.

Eddie sounds like a great guy, but it doesn't sound like he makes great decisions for himself. In fact, his parents were the ones who reached out to set up this P90X situation. I see a great kid with little to no internal compass with parents that occasionally rudder the ship to safety.

13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,609
    It would be a PR nightmare for Horton if Lacy gets suspended because of supplements he received from the P90X founder. That´s why I´m convinced Horton made sure there aren´t any ingredients on the NFL´s performance enhancing drugs list in it.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. C-Lee

C-Lee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +361
    Sounds like Eddie had been boozing pretty hard and eating poorly in the offseason before '15. Seems like he learned in his lesson in that regard.

Otherwise, this that Tony Horton interview was all fantastic stuff. While he was 100% overweight and out of shape, Lacy still showed signs of his first two seasons. He also seemed to be hurting a lot.

With all of this, plus him going into a contract year, all signs are pointing for Lacy to have maybe his best season yet.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  15. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +733
    I mean, it was obvious that he was REALLY overweight last year. Only the willfully ignorant last year didn't think he was severely overweight.

Side note, somewhat disappointed in Lacy's response to being overweight last year. His coach calls him out and he has a terrible season and he's still being reported as being a little too heavy...meanwhile, CJ Anderson, who averaged more than half a yard per carry BETTER than Lacy last year, reported to OTAs 20 pounds lighter. So, in Anderson, you have a RB who wasn't considered fat and wasn't called out by his coach making the effort to lose weight to try and improve...in Lacy you have a RB that had his own coach say he needed to lose weight and Lacy might have lost 20 pounds if the most optimistic reports are to be believed. Btw, Anderson's listed playing weight is only 7 pounds less than Lacy's (224 vs 231 at football-reference.com)

16. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    True, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen. You wanting it to be, doesn't make it come true.

All of these guys are getting supplements from all kinds of different "health" professionals who should be keenly aware of what is and isn't banned. It's 100% up to the players to make sure that they are allowed. I wouldn't even trust my mom or dad to make sure of it. Players are consistently getting 4-game suspensions (like Goodson) for taking a banned performance enhancing drug that 'they didn't realize' was in their supplements. You rarely hear about the folks who sold the supplements getting bad PR. Sure in this case, a reporter might trace it back to Horton but that wouldn't be my basis for trusting him.

17. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,293
    If you think he has to be 240 to be powerful and explosive just look at Adrian Peterson. The PERFECT combination of power and speed and he's not a small guy. The difference is his weight is distrubi between the major muscle groups...while lacy had a big gut, thighs, and butt. Lacy was just fat, and looked sloppy in his pads. Having dreads didn't help.

18. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Not to say told u so... But i think I was only one here or other forums posting he had alcohol issues.

Go ahead and search my posts.... Its there... Along with Rodgers having torn meniscus..

But what do I know? Maybe just a really good player?

19. Patriotplayer90

Patriotplayer90 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +340
    If only Lacy had the work ethic of Peterson. Lacy did look leaner, quicker in college, while still being able to run through tackles.

20. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,293
    Liking to drink beer and living in Wisconsin is not a good combination haha. Not to mention he probably ate junk everyday. I blame the coaching staff for not addressing this earlier. I remember before the season even started saying lacy looked fat.

21. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,293
    Exactly

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  22. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +962
    Lacy's problems may have contributed to Sam Gash's departure. His presence did not seem to help Lacy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,293
    And again I as
    And again I ask, where the heck Was the staff? Lacy came into camp overweight last season. Yet mm waited till after this season to address his weight?

• Winner Winner x 2
  24. OCBP

OCBP Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +102
    Interesting that MM has such an opinion on weight and drinking. He could use some cardio training as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  25. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    No shortage of good and fat coaches in the league. I've seen quite a few fat doctors telling people to lose weight.

Rodell - professional coaches don't quite wield the power that Lombardi had in the 1960s. It's a different game. Once training camp is over the staff has very little control over what a player eats and what he does at night. Lombardi put the Piccadilly off-limits to players, but most of them just started going to Speed's. There's zero chance that MM or any other modern coach could even put a place off-limits anymore.

Pro athletes are managed by their contracts. You are either released or you're on the team. If a player isn't doing as they should, the team only has a few levers to pull. Beyond that it's up to the player to self-motivate in order to get that next contract.