DT Letroy Guion signs with Packers

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

The former Vikings will meet with the Packers on Sunday if he hasn't signed a deal by then.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Never heard of him. Go figure

He started most games for the Vikings over the last two seasons at DT, acvording to his PFF grades there's no reason to get excited about though.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He started most games for the Vikings over the last two seasons at DT, acvording to his PFF grades there's no reason to get excited about though.

Well that's encouraging lol. These are the kinds of moves to expect going forward though. Low money wing and a prayer guys.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, his last name is spelled Guion but it doesn't really matter. He was ineffective for Vikings, rotating snaps with Fred Evans and Kevin Williams. He managed only 21 tackles and one sack across 397 snaps, struggling as both a pass rusher and run stopper.

Then again, Howard Green was a waste of space for the Jets and other teams before he gave us a lift. With that, I never mind bringing in players to see if a new team can spark their play - especially if it doesn't hurt us to cut them before the season begins.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never heard of him. Go figure
Out of curiosity, had you heard of Shields or Tramon Williams when we picked them up?

First report I read about him, 'he struggled with injuries last season'. hoooo boy.

He is a NT and has amassed 5 sacks in 6 years. Vikes were to pay him $4.3M this season. If we pick him up, I suspect it will be vet minimum.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this case I'd rather have TT do nothing than sign a guy like that.
Why? Because rather than throw a bunch of guaranteed money at a top-tier guy and hope he transitions well Ted signs guys to the vet-minimum who've dealt with adversity and can fight for a roster spot and over achieve?

There is literally no down side to bringing in free agents like this. He doesn't work out, we cut him with no charge. If we'd of signed Jarius Byrd and he pulled a Morgan Burnett on the other hand...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Why? Because rather than throw a bunch of guaranteed money at a top-tier guy and hope he transitions well Ted signs guys to the vet-minimum who've dealt with adversity and can fight for a roster spot and over achieve?

There is literally no down side to bringing in free agents like this. He doesn't work out, we cut him with no charge. If we'd of signed Jarius Byrd and he pulled a Morgan Burnett on the other hand...

I'd rather bring in a guy that can actually help us win games during the regular season than someone like Guion, who probably won't even make the roster but his release wouldn't result in dead money counting against the cap.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather bring in a guy that can actually help us win games during the regular season than someone like Guion, who probably won't even make the roster but his release wouldn't result in dead money counting against the cap.
You're relying on past history to dictate the future. That's not reality in life or football.

Byrd may flop just as easily as Guion may blossom.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're relying on past history to dictate the future. That's not reality in life or football.

Byrd may flop just as easily as Guion may blossom.

What? Yes it is. It's not 100% reliable, but what do free agents generally get paid on other than past performances hoping to give a GM some sort of idea about their future? Saying Byrd may flop just as easiliy as Guion may blossom is not accurate at all. There is a chance of both, but one is much more likely than the other. If both odds are the same, why is any free agent worth any more than another?

Aaron Rodgers might flop this year and Geno Smith might win the MVP, and my Powerball numbers might hit on Wednesday, but all are very, very unlikely.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it a bad thing that if you search his name on youtube that the first hit you get is a 6 second video of James Starks running him over?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
One year deal. Biggest question to me is what does this mean for Pickett and Jolly?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

One year deal. Biggest question to me is what does this mean for Pickett and Jolly?

I think you were right in another thread that we need another "fat guy" on the DL. I think the Packers will bring Jolly back if he's medically cleared, Pickett is only an option if Jolly doesn't return.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reason some people are not finding much news or stuff on him, is because his name is misspelled in the thread title.

Its spelled: Letroy Guion

H

HardRightEdge

After the Peppers deal I thought that was actually off the table.
Signing Peppers didn't do anything to replenish the loss of the big men. Now, with Raji, Boyd and Guion, the Packers are pretty close to "best available defensive player" when they get to #21.

That Raji and Guion are on one-year deals makes 2015 a potential repeat of the big man problem, it's less of a concern than it would be at other positions; the learning curve for NT-through-5 tech is probably the least steep of any group.

H

HardRightEdge

By the way, "Guion" is misspelled in the thread title. I don't often point out such things but we should get right the names of our own players.

Members online