1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

DT Letroy Guion signs with Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, Mar 14, 2014.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,204
    The former Vikings will meet with the Packers on Sunday if he hasn't signed a deal by then.

2. bubba

bubba Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +40
    Never heard of him. Go figure

3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,204
    He started most games for the Vikings over the last two seasons at DT, acvording to his PFF grades there's no reason to get excited about though.

4. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +326
    Well that's encouraging lol. These are the kinds of moves to expect going forward though. Low money wing and a prayer guys.

5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,204
    In this case I'd rather have TT do nothing than sign a guy like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    We better KILL this years draft.

7. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,441
    First of all, his last name is spelled Guion but it doesn't really matter. He was ineffective for Vikings, rotating snaps with Fred Evans and Kevin Williams. He managed only 21 tackles and one sack across 397 snaps, struggling as both a pass rusher and run stopper.

Then again, Howard Green was a waste of space for the Jets and other teams before he gave us a lift. With that, I never mind bringing in players to see if a new team can spark their play - especially if it doesn't hurt us to cut them before the season begins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Out of curiosity, had you heard of Shields or Tramon Williams when we picked them up?

First report I read about him, 'he struggled with injuries last season'. hoooo boy.

He is a NT and has amassed 5 sacks in 6 years. Vikes were to pay him $4.3M this season. If we pick him up, I suspect it will be vet minimum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +358
    Why? Because rather than throw a bunch of guaranteed money at a top-tier guy and hope he transitions well Ted signs guys to the vet-minimum who've dealt with adversity and can fight for a roster spot and over achieve?

There is literally no down side to bringing in free agents like this. He doesn't work out, we cut him with no charge. If we'd of signed Jarius Byrd and he pulled a Morgan Burnett on the other hand...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,204
    I'd rather bring in a guy that can actually help us win games during the regular season than someone like Guion, who probably won't even make the roster but his release wouldn't result in dead money counting against the cap.

11. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,441
    You're relying on past history to dictate the future. That's not reality in life or football.

Byrd may flop just as easily as Guion may blossom.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,371
    What? Yes it is. It's not 100% reliable, but what do free agents generally get paid on other than past performances hoping to give a GM some sort of idea about their future? Saying Byrd may flop just as easiliy as Guion may blossom is not accurate at all. There is a chance of both, but one is much more likely than the other. If both odds are the same, why is any free agent worth any more than another?

Aaron Rodgers might flop this year and Geno Smith might win the MVP, and my Powerball numbers might hit on Wednesday, but all are very, very unlikely.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +326
    It's being reported he has agreed to terms with the Packers.

14. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,204
    After the Peppers deal I thought that was actually off the table.

15. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +326
    Is it a bad thing that if you search his name on youtube that the first hit you get is a 6 second video of James Starks running him over?

• Funny Funny x 6
  16. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +930
    I like the signing. Low risk and there aren't too many 300+ lb. guys who can move well.

17. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,927
    One year deal. Biggest question to me is what does this mean for Pickett and Jolly?

18. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,204
    I think you were right in another thread that we need another "fat guy" on the DL. I think the Packers will bring Jolly back if he's medically cleared, Pickett is only an option if Jolly doesn't return.

19. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,441
    They are apparently too long in the tooth

20. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    Reason some people are not finding much news or stuff on him, is because his name is misspelled in the thread title.

Its spelled: Letroy Guion

21. Cheesehead625

Cheesehead625 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +145
    Haha I just looked up that video... So hilarious! Starks is a hard runner though.

22. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    I guess we didn't need to sign Peppers after-all.

23. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,241
    Signing Peppers didn't do anything to replenish the loss of the big men. Now, with Raji, Boyd and Guion, the Packers are pretty close to "best available defensive player" when they get to #21.

That Raji and Guion are on one-year deals makes 2015 a potential repeat of the big man problem, it's less of a concern than it would be at other positions; the learning curve for NT-through-5 tech is probably the least steep of any group.

24. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,241
    By the way, "Guion" is misspelled in the thread title. I don't often point out such things but we should get right the names of our own players.

25. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,241
    It means they will not be back. Neither will Wilson.