DT Letroy Guion signs with Packers

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we got younger by signing this guy without losing size on our interior DL. Sounds like he has some upside still. We'll see.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, with this signing, does this mean we most likely WONT draft a DL with the 21st pick? Its looking more and more like we'll go either BPA or LB/Safety now doesnt it?

Whats the chances that we trade back now? And maybe gain more picks in round 2 and 3.

H

HardRightEdge

By the way, with this signing, does this mean we most likely WONT draft a DL with the 21st pick? Its looking more and more like we'll go either BPA or LB/Safety now doesnt it?

Whats the chances that we trade back now? And maybe gain more picks in round 2 and 3.
The chances we'll go high for a D-Lineman have greatly diminished with the signings of Raji, Peppers and Guion, even if they are all on short-timer deals.

Raji, Boyd and Guion cover what will likely be 2 big man spots in base D. Then we have Peppers, Daniels, Jones and Worthy. That's 7. McCarthy usually carries 6 if memory serves. And McCarthy has been talking recently about still liking Neal inside in nickel.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first pick went to a cover corner or even a WR, besides the safety and ILB possibilities. I still have a hard time seeing us go 1st round for a safety because of Hyde; I see us more drafting a guy to compete at 3rd. round or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letroy May not even make the team. Raji, Peppers, Daniels, Jones are locks to make the 53 while Boyd is close to a lock. Worthy and Letroy will have to fight it out for the 6th spot unless they keep 7 linemen again in 2014. I hope Jolly is back he brings a nasty disposition to the Dline. If he is I think Letroy gets cut during the preseason.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This signing was exactly what I hoped would follow Peppers coming in. Raji now has low cost competition to see if he's worth keeping around to see if he can consistently provide the incredibly valuable space eating our D lacks. If signing for one year at half the annual value of the contract you refused mere months ago doesn't light a fire under your carcass, then I don't know what will.

I think that if Johnny Jolly gets clearance medically, he could be in the mix along the DL as well, because unless Boyd shows us something, he seems like just a guy who is strictly a nose in our base. Jolly can be a light NT, a base end and give some rotational push in the nickel if he's 100%, and with his neck issues, he's unlikely to be a highly sought after commodity if he's cleared.

If anything, I think this signing makes the draft even less predictable than before. If one of the big bodies at NT or 34 DE is available at 21 and our safety preferences and Mosely are gone, they have to represent tremendous value. On paper, the perfect marriage of need and value is one of the top 3 safety prospects or Mosely, but past the top 3-5 picks, who ever calls the draft spot on?

I like that we're not hemmed in by this pick, and even if we take a player who doesn't appear to fill one of the more pressing needs, we're liberated somewhat to run with the best player. Here's hoping that's not a Justin Harrell type pick... :)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's a by far a best player available, TT will take him or trade down.

If it's close or evenly rated guys, then need will come into play.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Rob Demovsky was on Homer's show this afternoon and he said he thinks the Guion signing means Pickett will not be signed but they'll sign Jolly if he's cleared. I agree these acquisitions make the first rounder even more unpredictable but I would guess Thompson will look closely at their highest rated defender still on the board at 21. As far as safety goes, the top two may not be there, if one of them is they may have another player rated higher, or they may calculate their third or fourth rated safety is a better value. I would just like the position addressed in the first three rounds of the draft if they aren't going to address it in FA.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Signing Peppers didn't do anything to replenish the loss of the big men. Now, with Raji, Boyd and Guion, the Packers are pretty close to "best available defensive player" when they get to #21.

I don't think Guion qualifies as one of the big guys, he's listed at 303 pounds. On top of that he didn't do anything special while with the Vikings.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

By the way, "Guion" is misspelled in the thread title. I don't often point out such things but we should get right the names of our own players.

Reason some people are not finding much news or stuff on him, is because his name is misspelled in the thread title.

Its spelled: Letroy Guion

First of all, his last name is spelled Guion but it doesn't really matter.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of the fact that I'm able to change the thread title. ;)

It's done now.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We better KILL this years draft.
We likely won't know if we "killed" the 2014 draft until 2017. Ted is drafting for the 2015 season this May. He will be seeking players to replace those whose contract expires after the 2014 season.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

We likely won't know if we "killed" the 2014 draft until 2017. Ted is drafting for the 2015 season this May. He will be seeking players to replace those whose contract expires after the 2014 season.

In this case he better sign another FS and ILB in free agency.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, I'm ready to actually get production out of a first round draft pick in year one. Otherwise, why draft them that high? Our first round draft picks have been taking, well, they still haven't begun to produce steadily actually. The last ones was Matthews. He's the only one I can really remember. That's not getting it done. Injuries or not.

And by KILL this years draft I mean the first few rounds. With production THIS year. If this years draft is as loaded as they say it is, TT needs to hit. I don't expect, nor have I ever expected a 5th rounder to come in and tear *** right away. Not realistic.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion isn't a nose, he's a 3-tech. Jolly doesn't play nose and unless Boyd has put on a lot of weight, he probably won't either as he's smaller than Jolly. Raji has not shown to be a good run stuffing NT, so if Nix is there I hope we grab him. Even if Raji has a great year and we had the money, I doubt he'd want to stick with GB after this year's contract stuff. We need a good NT waiting in the wings, and if it's not Nix then it should be someone else and not too much of a risk either. Maybe draft a second one too.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion isn't a nose, he's a 3-tech. Jolly doesn't play nose and unless Boyd has put on a lot of weight, he probably won't either as he's smaller than Jolly. Raji has not shown to be a good run stuffing NT, so if Nix is there I hope we grab him. Even if Raji has a great year and we had the money, I doubt he'd want to stick with GB after this year's contract stuff. We need a good NT waiting in the wings, and if it's not Nix then it should be someone else and not too much of a risk either. Maybe draft a second one too.

This is a great point. I saw this being thrown around on Twitter yesterday and I agree with it. DLine especially a NT shouldnt be out of the question in the 1st round just because Raji is back. TT should be looking past this year because 2 things can happen with Raji... 1. He's awful again and we don't resign him 2. He plays lights out and signs somewhere else. Either way I don't see him back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
[Caution: I'm quoting McGinn in this post. If you can't stand/hate McGinn, please ignore] This is from McGinn's most recent chat on the subject of Guion:
He's not as big (6-3 1/2, 315) a nose tackle as the Packers are used to using: Pickett, Raji, Howard Green, to name a few wide bodies. But what I was told last night is he has tremendous natural strength and almost 35-inch arms. He can run a little, too. Now it remains to be seen if the Packers can get the best out of him. He will require constant attention from the coaching staff and the entire support staff. Basic things in life don't always come easily for Guion. He will make mistakes, short-circuit in some stunt/twist situations, drive people batty. But he's also a pretty good kid and, if monitored and directed to the nth degree, can be a solid contributor. The Vikings didn't want to deal with all of that anymore. They did it for six years. Now it's Mike McCarthy's turn to take it on.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/250543471.html#ixzz2wbrKeeHj
Natural strength can make up for added "bad" weight so in spite of his listed weight it looks to me like he'll play NT. His other problems no doubt made him available at a relatively cheap price:
Nose tackle Letroy Guion's one-year contract with the Green Bay Packers was worth $985,000.Guion received the minimum base salary of $730,000 for a player with six accrued seasons. He also was given a $100,000 signing bonus, a per-game roster bonus of $105,000 payable in installments of $6,563 for each game on the 46-man active list, and a $50,000 workout bonus.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/250866331.html#ixzz2wbtiXMZi

Perhaps this one year experiment, the Raji one year deal and what may turn out to be a one year deal with Peppers represents a change in Thompson's MO regarding FA. And is anyone concerned that the two UFA acquisitions so far are a former Bear and former Viking? ;)

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps this one year experiment, the Raji one year deal and what may turn out to be a one year deal with Peppers represents a change in Thompson's MO regarding FA. And is anyone concerned that the two UFA acquisitions so far are a former Bear and former Viking? ;)

One thing I have always thought was smart about the way the Bears and Vikes handled FA was that they were never shy to sign good quality FA's from us- it helped their roster and left us with spots to fill. In a tough division, it creates personnel challenges for the team losing the player, and depending on the player, the receiving team can end up with significant insight about the schemes we're running.

I don't really care where players who take our defense to top flight level come from- Bears, Vikes, draft, FA, UD FA- as long as they perform, their origin matters little to me if they help put W's on the board and make us more competitive for a championship...

I found McGinn's commentary about Guion's needs around learning, details, etc, interesting- not long ago Lawrence Guy was a kid we brought in with similar challenges. We cut him because of some injury stuff, but he's really caught on with SD as a 34 DE for them- maybe one of the reasons the Vikes suck is they lack the patience and dedication to help young guys manage certain aspects of the game so they can play at a top flight level. I think our coaching staff is well suited to provide the kind of structure this kid could need to flourish... It's an interesting thought!

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I have always thought was smart about the way the Bears and Vikes handled FA was that they were never shy to sign good quality FA's from us- it helped their roster and left us with spots to fill. In a tough division, it creates personnel challenges for the team losing the player, and depending on the player, the receiving team can end up with significant insight about the schemes we're running.

I don't really care where players who take our defense to top flight level come from- Bears, Vikes, draft, FA, UD FA- as long as they perform, their origin matters little to me if they help put W's on the board and make us more competitive for a championship...

I found McGinn's commentary about Guion's needs around learning, details, etc, interesting- not long ago Lawrence Guy was a kid we brought in with similar challenges. We cut him because of some injury stuff, but he's really caught on with SD as a 34 DE for them- maybe one of the reasons the Vikes suck is they lack the patience and dedication to help young guys manage certain aspects of the game so they can play at a top flight level. I think our coaching staff is well suited to provide the kind of structure this kid could need to flourish... It's an interesting thought!

We didn't cut Guy, he was signed off of our practice squad, I think by the colts. He was someone I was always waiting to see develop because he was so young and promising when he came out and we worked on him for so long. Too bad we never got to see what he could do.

Anyway, it's always kinda weird to me when guys are signed by teams in their division. For example, I'd have thought that the bears know every single bit how bad McMillan is, but they paid him anyway. When I watched the vikes the DT that stood out to me was Fred Evans, so I would have rather gone with him, I guess.

As I understood it, the reason Guion failed with the vikes is that he couldn't play DT inside, and with his height and reach I assumed that he was going to be a DE for us, taking on fewer double teams and getting his long arms up in passing lanes. As someone said earlier, I think he's competing with Jolly for the same job.

Also, aren't most NTs shorter than 6'4? I know Ngata is that tall and guys like Jenkins in NO, but guys like Raji and Pickett (ahem NIX ahem ahem) are lower to the ground. I'd think that'd help a lot.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Anyway, it's always kinda weird to me when guys are signed by teams in their division. For example, I'd have thought that the bears know every single bit how bad McMillan is, but they paid him anyway.

The Bears signed the doctor, not McMillan.

As I understood it, the reason Guion failed with the vikes is that he couldn't play DT inside, and with his height and reach I assumed that he was going to be a DE for us, taking on fewer double teams and getting his long arms up in passing lanes. As someone said earlier, I think he's competing with Jolly for the same job.

I don´t think it´s fair to say he failed with the Vikings as he played there for six seasons and was mostly cut because of his cap hit for 2014. I agree with you though that I don´t see him playing NT for the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts