Driver to play Sunday; other notes

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notes: A running start
Morency, Miree make their mark

Green Bay - Green Bay -The Green Bay Packers were encouraged by what they saw Monday night from newcomers Vernand Morency and Brandon Miree to continue with the running back and fullback as major role players in the offense.

Not that they have much choice at running back at the moment, anyway.

After looking stable in individual drills, Ahman Green did not participate in a complete practice again Thursday for the second consecutive day. He missed the Philadelphia game Monday with two injured hamstrings. This is the third consecutive week Green has missed some practice time because of injury.

"He did a little bit," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said. "He'll be fine."

Green's absence left the bulk of the practice workload to Morency. In his second National Football League start, Morency impressed the Packers with 26 carries for 99 yards against the Eagles.

"He hit (the hole) hard, and he left some yards out there, too," Jagodzinski said. "He didn't know he was starting until right before pregame. He went in there and did a nice job. . . . Morency does what we want to do in the running game. He gets it downhill fast. With the exception of the fumble, he played a pretty darn good game."

The Packers felt the same about Miree, who started in place of longtime veteran William Henderson.

"(Miree) did better," Jagodzinski said. "He sees things. But he's been in this thing for two years out in Denver, so he sees things, trying to find the seam and all that. He's getting it."

Jagodzinski said both players had the advantage of playing in a zone blocking scheme with previous coaches and teams. The Packers have chosen to go with athletic offensive linemen for the scheme, and see the running backs' exposure to the offense as a benefit as well.

Patience is the operative word now, Jagodzinski said. From the sideline and in film he can see the his offense is close to making zone blocking work for the running game. So they keep working on the techniques in practice.

"X's and O's, or Jims and Joes; I'd rather have Jims and Joes," Jagodzinski said. "I'd rather have the players. And we do. We just have to develop them right now."

On a final note, if there was anything positive out of the whole 60 minutes against Philadelphia, it was that quarterback Brett Favre was not sacked, for the second consecutive week. However, Morency and Miree can't take much credit for blitz pickup yet because the Eagles called off the blitzes for the most part.

But Jagodzinski is anticipating that St. Louis will send someone almost all game long Sunday. He said an active blitz defense would bring the extra man 35% of the time, and St. Louis was practically off the charts at 48%.

"Every other snap, he's bringing something," Jagodzinski said. "That's feast or famine, too. If you don't get there, you can give up some big plays."

Asked how Morency and Miree do with picking up the blitz, Jagodzinski said with a slightly nervous laugh: "We tell them, 'Get run over slowly.' "

Favre ahead of pace
Favre participated in some but not all of practice Thursday, with Aaron Rodgers assuming the rest of the snaps. The coaching staff expects Favre to play Sunday.

But it will be interesting to see if or when the Packers can stop leaning on Favre to do so much on offense.

Favre threw a career high 607 passes in 2005, which was also the most in the NFL. That averaged out to about 37.9 passes per game. The leading NFL quarterbacks had a lot less last year: Tom Brady averaged 33; Trent Green and Carson Palmer, 32; Peyton Manning, 28.

In four games this season, Favre has already thrown 164 passes. That's an average of 41 per game, even with him exiting the Philadelphia game early. If he keeps up this pace, he'll surpass the 2005 total.

"Let's hope that doesn't happen," Jagodzinski said.

It's not Favre's age that's an issue. The 16-year veteran can still sling the ball for half the offensive plays a game or more, apparently without wear and tear to his shoulder or elbow. But what about the interceptions?

Favre has been widely criticized for his 29 interceptions last year, also a personal and NFL high. To cut those down might also mean to cut down all the attempts. Even Jagodzinski agreed that it's common sense that the more a quarterback throws, the higher the odds are of getting an interception.

Throwing the shorter West Coast passes might help Favre to cut down on interceptions, but Jagodzonski pointed out that one of Favre's interceptions against the Eagles was a short pass that was tipped.

So the Packers might just have to accept a certain number of interceptions from Favre if they’re going to keep relying on him to move the ball as they wait for the linemen and running backs to develop a running game. Favre has five interceptions so far.

"We have to cut down on that, too," Jagodzinski said.

Lineup watch
With Ahmad Carroll's release, the Packers re-signed linebacker Tracy White. There is concern of depth at linebacker because Abdul Hodge is doubtful with a knee injury. He is the backup middle linebacker and missed practice again.

Ben Taylor is also hurt, missing his second practice this week with a hamstring injury. He's unsure if he will return today.

That means White could be the backup at all three linebacker positions Sunday if Taylor is not available.

At the nickel back position in defense, Patrick Dendy continued to get most of the work there, with Jarrett Bush also practicing.

At guard, the Packers were still rotating Daryn Colledge, Tony Moll and Jason Spitz and said the two who practice the best this week would play the most against the Rams.

Other injury updates
Donald Driver returned for a full practice and said he would play Sunday. Will Blackmon (out), Robert Ferguson (doubtful) and Donald Lee (questionable) also missed a second consecutive practice.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for the info. I had no idea why TT did the Gado trade but now it's starting to look like Morency could be an alright back for us. I thought he hit the holes a little quicker then Samkon did.
I've been starting to see over the last year or 2 how Driver has sure learned a lot about toughness from Favre which he admits himself. I think now he'll pass that on to the young new WR's

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnfavrefan said:
thanks for the info. I had no idea why TT did the Gado trade but now it's starting to look like Morency could be an alright back for us. I thought he hit the holes a little quicker then Samkon did.
I've been starting to see over the last year or 2 how Driver has sure learned a lot about toughness from Favre which he admits himself. I think now he'll pass that on to the young new WR's

Yeah, besides the dropped pass, Morency did look impressive. he's only going to get better as the team learns to communicate better.

As for Driver, always admired his work ethic. He'll be playing. Remember that pile driver he took several years ago? he recovered from that fast. I could see a lot of WRs not bouncing back from that.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was upset about the Gado trade, but hey if Morency works out. ITS GREAT! I hope he does!! Someone who hopefully doenst fumble to take Greens spot.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to hear Driver playing but I won't feel confident about it until he's in the lineup come that first drive. They thought Green would play as well and he just couldn't go come gameday.

Driver is tough though so hopefully he plays. Without him it might be a very long day.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tbh yes green is playing, i think i read somewhere that they were suprised he didnt go last week and looks good to go now.

ill try and find the info on that, or someone else can.

but now that Driver is supposedly good to go, i wonder how much Krob is gonna play now. id like to see as much as possible from him.

Reaction score
Packnic said:
tbh yes green is playing, i think i read somewhere that they were suprised he didnt go last week and looks good to go now.

ill try and find the info on that, or someone else can.

but now that Driver is supposedly good to go, i wonder how much Krob is gonna play now. id like to see as much as possible from him.

There is an article up on Packersnews that confirms this.

K-Rob is the #3 since Ferggy is out, so I expect to see him ocassionaly.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly could care less if Driver played or not. I definitly dont want him or anyone hurt. But as far as him playing to me, we dont need him. I feel just as comfortable with Robenson/Jennings as Driver/Jennings. Let the yelling at me begin..im ready :lol:

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well awesome to hear about Drivers return him and Jennings should be the packers version of the Rams, Holt and Bruce (except for there better) and K-Rob has talent not only as a KR/PR he can catch to.

OP
OP
P

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
I honestly could care less if Driver played or not. I definitly dont want him or anyone hurt. But as far as him playing to me, we dont need him. I feel just as comfortable with Robenson/Jennings as Driver/Jennings. Let the yelling at me begin..im ready :lol:

yeah you definately dont' understand what Driver brings to the table week in and week out. He is Favre's security blanket, in most plays. He has played with Favre the longest. I definately want him in there on Sunday if he can go, which I think he will. Otherwise, we'll have a rookie in Jennings, a guy who just joined the team 3 weeks ago in Robinson, and Ruvell Martin as the #3 receiver. :-?

OP
OP
P

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:

yeah you definately dont' understand what Driver brings to the table week in and week out. He is Favre's security blanket, in most plays. He has played with Favre the longest. I definately want him in there on Sunday if he can go, which I think he will. Otherwise, we'll have a rookie in Jennings, a guy who just joined the team 3 weeks ago in Robinson, and Ruvell Martin as the #3 receiver. :-?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last week i saw Driver being a major reason a loss was brought to the Packers table.

Yeah, he is Favres security blanket.....Unless they are running a slant play.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:

No need to yell at you, ignorant statements like that should just be deleted.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i want to see more of robinson.... so far the three catches hes made were all over 10 yards and nice catches. hes only been thrown at 5 times i think and hes brought down three, for over 10 yards. i think he needs more playing time.

but not at the expense of jennings development.

id like to see more three WR sets. with either morency and green at RB you then have 5 recieving threats on the feild. This could work nicely if the zone blocking would break some decent holes to keep the D honest.

Members online

Latest posts