8. Bucs - DB, DE, OT
9. Jags - QB, WR/TE, OL
10. Panthers - OL, Edge rusher, S
11. Falcons - Edge rusher, OG, DT
12. Broncos - CB, WR/TE, QB
13. Bengals - LB, TE, QB
--------------------------------------------------
14. Packers - Edge rusher, S, OL

There is a big rush of teams that'll pick in same position that we do. We may get the 6th best Edge Rusher at best. though Bucks may also get in the game if available, so say, 7th best Edge rusher. Excepting Suggs and Clowney the FA market ain't really hot either.

If there is ever a good year to trade for #1 pick, this is the one.

FL-PACKERfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that many edge rushers were to go ahead of us we would likely get a hell of a player at a different position

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6th best edge rusher? yikes. not good. i read a thing today that projected us taking that safety. i'd rather have the best safety than the 6th best pass rusher.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
edge would be nice, but if it’s a reach for a Jamal Reynolds type or get Chad Clifton but for the right side :)I know who I want. I’d be fine with any real impactful linebacker of any type. Safety, DLine, another DB, Oline, that I don’t think we need to reach for an edge rusher because of need.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
1. Cardinals - OL, WR, CB
2. 49ers - Edge rusher, DB, LB
3. Jets - Edge rusher, OL, WR
4. Raiders - Edge rusher, DB, LB
5. Lions - DB, Edge rusher, TE/WR
6. Giants - QB, OL, DL
7. Bills - OL, WR, CB
8. Bucs - DB, DE, OT
9. Jags - QB, WR/TE, OL
13. Bengals - LB, TE, QB

There is a big rush of teams that'll pick in same position that we do. We may get the 6th best Edge Rusher at best. though Bucks may also get in the game if available, so say, 7th best Edge rusher. Excepting Suggs and Clowney the FA market ain't really hot either.

How did you determine who needs what? Fan boards, national pundits, your own observations????

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have needs all over the place. I promise nobody in FO is sitting there thinking 'we have to take edge, we have to take edge, we have to take edge.'

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone wants edge rushers. That's why Mack got the contract he did.

As for trading for the #1 pick, I sure as heck don't want the Packers trading both 1st picks, a 2nd and more to move up to #1.

Go back and look at the drafts the last 8 years. Probably an average of 2-3 DE/LBs taken in the top 15. Most mocks this year have 3 or 4 gone in the top 15.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither TE nor OL is a R1 pick

Says who? Many mocks have the Packers going edge than OL or TE at the later pick which is where the 1st guard or TE comes off the board.

I'd be fine with the Packers drafting a OL/TE in the Saints spot. My point was that the Packers need depth in many spots. Depth that would be taken away by moving up in the draft (especially to #1). Edge isn't the be all/end all need in the draft at the expense of other spots.

But yes.. the talent in round 2 will be less than round 1. NFL draft works like that.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Agree with HRE here. Since the draft comes after the bulk of the free agency period, pretty premature to be talking about the "needs" of all 32 teams in the draft. By the time the draft rolls around, I am hoping what we "need" are players for the future, not necessarily for 2019. Unless the Packers do happen to trade up into the top 5, I doubt we find an immediate impact player at around #14. If we do, great, but not something Gute should count on for vastly improving the team for 2019.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither TE nor OL is a R1 pick and a 2nd round Edge Rusher is not as good as a R1.

Since when did OT become not worth 1st round picks?

I get it. Edge is probably our greatest need followed by Saftey, Oline etc etc.... Problem it's silly to pass on a legit better player still at a position need for a lesser player at a perceived position of greater need.

Also every single team that you thinks needs a pass rusher #1 isnt simply going to draft a pass rusher for the exact reasons I listed so saying "We'll get the 6th best pass rusher at best" is non sensical. And as has been stated if it were to happen we'd have a hell of player fall to us at another position if it did (not unlike this past year when so many QBs went high and a guy like Derwin James fell)

D

Deleted member 6794

1. Cardinals - OL, WR, CB
2. 49ers - Edge rusher, DB, LB
3. Jets - Edge rusher, OL, WR
4. Raiders - Edge rusher, DB, LB
5. Lions - DB, Edge rusher, TE/WR
6. Giants - QB, OL, DL
7. Bills - OL, WR, CB
8. Bucs - DB, DE, OT
9. Jags - QB, WR/TE, OL
13. Bengals - LB, TE, QB

The Packers would have to give way too mich draft picks to move up to #1. In addition I agree with several posters that the team has other needs as well with Gutekunst hopefully selecting the player presenting the best value.

Many mocks have the Packers going edge than OL or TE at the later pick which is where the 1st guard or TE comes off the board.

I'd be fine with the Packers drafting a OL/TE in the Saints spot.

I wouldn't mind the Packers drafting an offensive lineman in the first round but there's no reason to select a tight end that early.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And draft needs cannot even be ascertained until FA is well under way.

There are a lot of sites and writers speculating about team needs at this point. But as you say, without knowing what goes on a free agency first, that can change a whole lot.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, FA changes the landscape, and it doesn't pay to speculate about FA until tags get put on players either. What are going to to talk about?

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FA changes the landscape

I don't think it changes that much. It's not like we have a Mack move every other year. There are only few worthy Edge Rushers out there in FA and most will be as contested as a upwards draft move.

Suggs is 36 and I don't think Ravens will tag him. He may be on the lookout for a cheap-ish 1 year contract.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it changes that much. It's not like we have a Mack move every other year. There are only few worthy Edge Rushers out there in FA and most will be as contested as a upwards draft move.

Suggs is 36 and I don't think Ravens will tag him. He may be on the lookout for a cheap-ish 1 year contract.
it Can, or it might not. But if we get another serviceable vet for guard or RT depending on what happens with bulaga, maybe they target an edge guy, move up even to get him. Maybe we get nobody on the OL and a highly rated Tackle is sitting there with our first pick and remaining edge are so so. Likely they pick the Tackle to play RT or guard depending on what happens with Bualaga. Maybe they sign a FA safety to start. Maybe they don't and 1st round sees an OT and Safety added to the roster for us.

after a year in which we had an aging Matthews and Fackrell as our starting OLB's and still managed to be near the top of the league in sacks, i'm not so sure OLB is a given with the first pick when we have as big of needs on the offensive line, defensive line, safety and both linebacking positions. With King being so often injured I'd say re-signing the FA Breeland will be important for this team. If we don't, I wouldn't be surprised if we had another day 1 DB added to the roster either. I think FA can have a big impact on what we do day 1 in the draft.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after a year in which we had an aging Matthews and Fackrell as our starting OLB's and still managed to be near the top of the league in sacks, i'm not so sure OLB is a given with the first pick when we have as big of needs on the offensive line, defensive line, safety and both linebacking positions. With King being so often injured I'd say re-signing the FA Breeland will be important for this team. If we don't, I wouldn't be surprised if we had another day 1 DB added to the roster either. I think FA can have a big impact on what we do day 1 in the draft.

I think the drop between a R1 OT and a R2 OT is not as great as the same with a edge rusher.
I agree on CB...looks like we just can't have enough of them to make a regular started. We will sign Breeland and I reckon we can nab a couple in FA without too much expense.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just surprising many here still don't value the importance of a edge rusher...when we have seen and will see what difference Mack has been. He single handedly has elevated a good defence to great. Many here even wanted us to buy Mack, so what has changed now?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's just surprising many here still don't value the importance of a edge rusher...when we have seen and will see what difference Mack has been. He single handedly has elevated a good defence to great. Many here even wanted us to buy Mack, so what has changed now?
Reticence about the cost, the effects of a competent DC, the unknown of the next coaching staff, their scheme and platooning, slow development of players on the roster, needs at other positions. As you said
He single handedly has elevated a good defence to great.
We need to get to good before we need a single player to put us over the top to great and to incur the cost of said player.

Even the $90m defensive cap hit Rams with Aaron Donald are near the middle of the league in most defensive stats

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts