Don't overplay this game.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you take out the "Brett FAvre vs the Packers" angle what have you got with this MNF game?

A clash of old and bitter rivals, to be sure. An intradivision game, which counts big in the standings and race for the playoffs. But this game will not determine the season for the Packers; although a win will certainly help and a loss by Minnesota would put a significnt hurt on them.

And this is not the game in which Faver gets his revenge or proves the Packers were wrong in parting with him last year. The game he really wants and will matter more in the larger strategic scheme of the season will be at Green Bay Nov. 1.

Last season the Packers got the Vikes in the MNF opener at Lambeau and won a clear-cut victory. Minnesota took the second game later at home and wound up with the division title at the end.

This year the order is reversed. They get the home field advantage first and we get
it for the later rematch. While I'm not conceding the game to them winning in the Metrodome on a Monday night is a big task and the way our offensive line has been showing and with our running game in a stall early the Packers are or will be deserved underdogs going in to this contest.

We may be looking at a game similar to last year's there, which Green Bay lost by 1 when Mason Crosby missed a long field goal at the end that would have won it. But the Vikings physically and statistically dominated that game. The Packers managed only 184 yds. of total offense.

The defense kept us in that game by intercepting 3 passes, one of which was returned for a td by NIck Collins and the other gave us a short field for our only offensive td. And Will Blackmon returned a punt for a score.

But the Packers' o-line couldn't handle the Vikings pass rush. Aaron Rodgers took 2 safeties in the 2nd qtr. A 4th atr. td pass to Greg Jennings was called back by a holding penalty. And the defense allowed 2 big runs by their backs Chester Taylor & ADrian Peterson for the decisive scores.

If the Packers lose this game the standings will probably look like this: 1. Minnesota 4-0 2. Chicgo 3-1 3. Green Bay 2-2 4. Detroit 1-3 But by the time we reach the midpoint on NOv. 8 they could very well look like this: 1. Green Bay 6-2 2. Chicago 5-3 3. Minnesota 5-3 4. Detroit 2-6 And this game will be just 1 of 16 on the schedule.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minny's defense isn't nearly as good as last season. The Vikings have a vanilla scheme and poorer pass protection than Green Bay. If Minnesota can run the ball at will, they will win. If they cannot, it could get ugly early.

Also, if Brett feels like he has to "match" Aaron Rodgers TD throw for TD throw, and begins checking out of running plays, then it could get ugly. I expect Brett realizes the Green Bay's passing attack is far superior to what Minnesota can offer. It is the meeting of two completely different types of team schemes - couldn't be more opposite.

I don't see how Green Bay doesn't win handily - unless Chilly really hasn't opened the offense up yet, which I don't believe is the case. I feel the Minnesota offense doesn't have the WR's to "open" it up.

I remember the first game Brett played against his former coach Holmgren in 1999 at home against Seattle. He pressed and played terribly - posting a 27 QB rating and Green Bay got hammered 27-7. If Brett comes into this game with that mindset, it'll be real ugly.

Also, if Minnesota wins, they're looking at 5-0 after St Louis, but then face Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Green Bay, which could make them 5-3. Should they lose to Green Bay on Monday, the potential for 5-4 is more realistic. It will be interesting.

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bench racing is fun and all but we haven't seen the real packers yet. We only got glimpses of what Minnesota can do. This game should set the tone for the rest of the season as to how the conference will be decided.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I agree there is no reason to make more of this game than it is, a divisional rivalry game with our ex-QB leading em.

We lose we lose, not the end of the world although it might sting for a while while the media talks about how great Favre is now after getting his revenge.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree there is no reason to make more of this game than it is, a divisional rivalry game with our ex-QB leading em.

We lose we lose, not the end of the world although it might sting for a while while the media talks about how great Favre is now after getting his revenge.

You see there is a problem with that

WE WONT LOSE :viksux: