Does the lopsided Panther win...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whenever you line up for a 2 point, they know you're going for it because you get it at the 2 yard line rather than the 15. It's never a trick play.

One more post, then I'm going to try and forget this Monday altogether (which, at my age, isn't tough to do). Maybe this wasn't even intended for me, but I'm so gun-shy today that I'll figure it was. If so, as many times today, I never intended to say it was a trick play. Because the Hail Mary was so unexpected (by the timeout-less Cards), if the Pack had sent out their 2-point team, I'm thinking the Cards would have not reacted in time with their own specialty team, and in their shell-shocked state, it would have been considerably easier for the Pack to score the 2 than in most other cases.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it wasn't intended for you, it was just a statement. Every team knows when another team is going for 2 or not. It doesn't surprise people. They may not have had any timeouts, but they review every scoring play. They had 5 minutes of dead time and commercial time to be ready for whatever the Packers might do. True, they'd have to go with what they lined up in, no calling timeout after that, but I don't think they would have been as shell shocked as everyone thinks.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it wasn't intended for you, it was just a statement. Every team knows when another team is going for 2 or not. It doesn't surprise people. They may not have had any timeouts, but they review every scoring play. They had 5 minutes of dead time and commercial time to be ready for whatever the Packers might do. True, they'd have to go with what they lined up in, no calling timeout after that, but I don't think they would have been as shell shocked as everyone thinks.

Don't really want to rehash it, because as has been said before, MM woulda been crucified for going for 2 if he had attempted such and failed. I like the idea of more coaches taking risks to go for 2 and probably causing less OT games to have to deal with, plus of course I just don't like the idea that if someone scores a TD on the first possession without giving the other team a shot at the ball, the game is over. And that screwed up coin toss didn't help. But going for 2 in my opinion is like trying to get too greedy in a clock killing drive and going nuts on a 3rd and 15 kind of play with a pass that probably falls incomplete, instead of just using common sense and running the ball, even if you're not going to pick it up. I get with that high risk is the high reward that if we make the 2 pt convert we win, but I just think in a big game like that, you gotta use conventional wisdom. Plus as much as we want to dog the defense for giving up that TD in OT, they had a solid game overall and MM had plenty of reason to hope they could get his offense the ball back one more time.

I won't propagate how we woulda done against Carolina a 2nd time around because you really can't, especially in the season we've had in which almost nothing has been set. While it's certainly no gimme by any stretch that he who won the first match is he who wins the 2nd, as our last game against AZ showed, it was Carolina's year to get this done and look, we all were saying AZ was way better than them, but turns out that's not the case. The way they played last night, I just don't think anyone in the NFC was going to beat them.

Having said all that, I feel like the NFC as a whole was down this year considering the fiascos going on in the NFC East, the rest of the NFC South, and even the NFC West with San Francisco's decline and even Seattle not being the Seattle of old, being not as good as it has been. It'll be interesting though to see what transpires this next coming season. I suspect (for more reasons than 1) that Carolina will still hold the NFC South, but Atlanta will be getting better and give them a tougher competition for it, I highly suspect the NFC East will be better though we still don't know who's coaching NY and Philly, and ... Chip Kelly is now in SF, so we don't really know what's going to come. But add all that up plus the returns for us of Jordy Nelson and a few others, I think our team is getting back to looking more like the team we all know. So ... yeah totally expect the dynamics to change big time next year.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And coming from a guy who still thinks they're the worst 15-1 team to play in the league in some time, I do think the one reason Cam has played so good is that his O-line is one of the better ones in the league and probably would have even less sacks than they do if he didn't always attempt to go for the big fancy play and got rid of the ball quicker than he usually does. Goes without showing though avg QBs can look head and shoulders better when that OL is all-pro, saw the same thing during much of Eli Manning's career, he and the Giants O looked pretty damn good when they had all those hogs up front that were tough to penetrate, but when that got lost and it deteriorated in 2013, he was pretty terrible.

At what point can people admit they were wrong about Carolina? I'll admit I thought they were just a good team that rolled through an easy schedule but damn. They're in the SB after demolishing the Cardinals and jumped out 31-0 against the Seahawks.

At what point can people just say "yep they've been the best team in the NFC/NFL all year long along with the soon to be named MVP and they just backed it up"?

OP
OP
Tacklynn

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure would be nice to have a "Cam like guy" behind center on 3rd/4th and short, someone who can just launch their body and out stretched arm for 1-2 yards.
Newton is young and a big guy, but I still think all that launching and catapulting is going to get him hurt, which I would not want to see--unless it is against the Packers and it is not a serious injury.

OP
OP
Tacklynn

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At what point can people admit they were wrong about Carolina? I'll admit I thought they were just a good team that rolled through an easy schedule but damn. They're in the SB after demolishing the Cardinals and jumped out 31-0 against the Seahawks.

At what point can people just say "yep they've been the best team in the NFC/NFL all year long along with the soon to be named MVP and they just backed it up"?

I thought they were a team to contend with when they all went to see Star Wars together. That camaraderie, when backed up by playing well, is indicative of a winner.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'll admit that I thought the Panthers 15-1 record was mostly a product of their easy schedule and expected them to be crushed by the Seahawks. Boy was I wrong about that.

Members online

Latest posts