Does the lopsided Panther win...

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...make you feel any better about the Packers loss to the Cardinals, knowing we probably would not have won against the Panthers if we had advanced?

Or is that too much speculation?

The superiority of the Panthers really humiliated the Cardinals. I don't think this Packer team would have beaten the Panthers, based on the caliber of play of both teams.

The decisive victory by the Panthers takes away my "what if" regrets of last week's loss. In contrast, the previous year I thought if we had not folded in the last 4 minutes of the NFC Championship to the Seahawks, we would have had a good shot at the Super Bowl because we had beaten the Patriots earlier in the season 26-21.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. What it shows is that the Packers lost to a team that was very beatable. I would have rather seen the Packers finally show enough resolve to win a close game and then get rolled by the Panthers than see them collapse again in OT. The Cardinals pathetic performance tonight was the result of the Panthers not dropping interceptions and not being satisfied with just a sack. When they got to Palmer they went after the fumbles too. Had the Packers not dropped so many picks they could have won big.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers lost 7 games this year. 4 of those to the "final 4", 2 of which are in the Super Bowl. The other 3 losses were to NFC North teams. As "bad" as our season seemed to some, we were beat by some pretty decent teams. Had we beat AZ last week, could we have beaten Carolina today? You never know, on any given Sunday any team can show up and I think the heart the Packers showed in their 2 playoff games would have been there today and you just never know who would have come out the winner.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every week is different and every matchup is different. If Sam Shields isn't out for a month, I'm betting on him making at least 1 maybe 3 INT's that game and it being completely different. But that's the way it is. The game unfolded poorly for AZ. They could run the ball, but they fell behind so quickly that it became a non factor and Palmer was chucking up jump balls. I've only seen him play a couple games this year and this was by far his worst.

The Panthers D had something to do with it, probably got in his head a bit, but he was missing open receivers too and throwing to triple coverages at times. It was one thing in my head as I watched both games yesterday, hoping that everyone railing on the coaches/players of GB were watching and noticing some things. Brady missed a ton, it happens when you don't have protections. Cam Newton looked like an all pro, it happens when you're not feeling any pressure. And he still threw some ugly balls. he's fortunate to have that defense. The Panthers blew it open off turnovers and our defense, in position to make plays, didn't make the huge plays. They made plays, but not the game changers when they had a chance and part of that is missing game speed for a month.

our team struggled all year, but battled thru. We're not that far off, little consolation now, but things are still looking up for the foreseeable future. I would have taken our chances against Carolina. I think our QB is better and if we had protections like against them like our last game, we could have one. Or if we played them like last time, they would have had 15 sacks coming right up thru the center and it would have taken a late game fury to get back in it.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all about the "Any Given Sunday" mentality, and I know for a fact we would have played better than Arizona did last night, but we would have been decimated. No Cobb, maybe no Davante again. It would have been a really, really hard game.

Carolina was nasty this year. They're going to spank Denver in the Super Bowl too, and we nearly beat them in our matchup. Stay positive, y'all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It was one thing in my head as I watched both games yesterday, hoping that everyone railing on the coaches/players of GB were watching and noticing some things. Brady missed a ton, it happens when you don't have protections.

I was totally on that same page. Thinking about all the posts about "Rodgers sucking and Brady does so much more". Couldn't help but chuckle every time Brady totally missed a receiver or threw an interception as he was running for his life. I also couldn't help but think what the Packers would look like with 1 or 2 of the Bronco's linebackers and a Gronk like TE. So as much as people want to dump on this season, MM, TT and Rodgers, I like our team and its chances in 2016, as long as we fill a few key positions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all about the "Any Given Sunday" mentality, and I know for a fact we would have played better than Arizona did last night, but we would have been decimated. No Cobb, maybe no Davante again. It would have been a really, really hard game.

Carolina was nasty this year. They're going to spank Denver in the Super Bowl too, and we nearly beat them in our matchup. Stay positive, y'all.
Seeing that Panther defense, this might be another Manning vs Seattle blowout. The good news is Denver has a defense that can seemingly do what Carolina can do. The difference is Carolina has great RB's, Denver has nothing and they have a running qb, denver does not. Passing the ball will be tough with no running game to help out.or even a threat of a running game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe the Packers defense gave Carolina the blueprint on how to play the Cards?

Maybe a few tips, but I think the Carolina defense showed why they are so good. Solid linebackers, secondary that doesn't make a lot of mistakes and a front line that pressures the QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was totally on that same page. Thinking about all the posts about "Rodgers sucking and Brady does so much more". Couldn't help but chuckle every time Brady totally missed a receiver or threw an interception as he was running for his life. I also couldn't help but think what the Packers would look like with 1 or 2 of the Bronco's linebackers and a Gronk like TE. So as much as people want to dump on this season, MM, TT and Rodgers, I like our team and its chances in 2016, as long as we fill a few key positions.
GRonk and Olsen are huge difference makers for their teams. There are a lot of ways to play offense, we do not have one, but we had enough to still be very effective, once we lost our "gronk" in Jordy things went south and the absence of a TE like that was noticeable.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Watching both the Broncos and the Panthers confirmed to me that all our Defense is really missing are solid ILB's. Put Matthews outside and get 2 solid ILB's.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
GRonk and Olsen are huge difference makers for their teams. There are a lot of ways to play offense, we do not have one, but we had enough to still be very effective, once we lost our "gronk" in Jordy things went south and the absence of a TE like that was noticeable.

We are probably in a very good position to be able to grab Hunter Henry. The question is, "Is he going to be that IT factor at TE"? But there is no doubt in my mind, we need a Gronk, Olsen, Daniels like player.

Unless there is a solid ILB early in the draft, I hope to see TT loosen up his purse and go after that position in the FA market.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers trailed the Panthers by 23 early in the fourth quarter and only made it a close game out of it because Carolina stopped competing.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cam Newton looked like an all pro, it happens when you're not feeling any pressure. And he still threw some ugly balls.

And coming from a guy who still thinks they're the worst 15-1 team to play in the league in some time, I do think the one reason Cam has played so good is that his O-line is one of the better ones in the league and probably would have even less sacks than they do if he didn't always attempt to go for the big fancy play and got rid of the ball quicker than he usually does. Goes without showing though avg QBs can look head and shoulders better when that OL is all-pro, saw the same thing during much of Eli Manning's career, he and the Giants O looked pretty damn good when they had all those hogs up front that were tough to penetrate, but when that got lost and it deteriorated in 2013, he was pretty terrible.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sure would be nice to have a "Cam like guy" behind center on 3rd/4th and short, someone who can just launch their body and out stretched arm for 1-2 yards.

BTW, for all those screaming that the Packers should have gone for 2 points against AZ, it didn't work out so good (not that they had a choice) for the great Tom Brady and the Patriots.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our chances of winning would have been very slim, if not nonexistent, especially without Cobb and Adams, but I think we would have played them more competitively. I can't imagine us having that many turnovers or Rodgers playing as badly as Palmer did. I would still have liked another shot at the Panthers though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure would be nice to have a "Cam like guy" behind center on 3rd/4th and short, someone who can just launch their body and out stretched arm for 1-2 yards.

BTW, for all those screaming that the Packers should have gone for 2 points against AZ, it didn't work out so good (not that they had a choice) for the great Tom Brady and the Patriots.

Apples (2 to tie, 1 to lose/standard Brady drive (so expect the score)/against a suffocating defense) and oranges (2 to win, 1 to tie on the road after a/an (fill in the adjective) Hail Mary). May well have gotten the same result, but there's no comparison other than 'going for 2'.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Apples (2 to tie, 1 to lose/standard Brady drive (so expect the score)/against a suffocating defense) and oranges (2 to win, 1 to tie on the road after a/an (fill in the adjective) Hail Mary). May well have gotten the same result, but there's no comparison other than 'going for 2'.

The apples of it........just to tie a very important game on the "last offensive attempt of the game", even with a Tom Brady and a Gronk.....the 2 point play isn't as easy as some might think, even after 2 Patriot marches down the field.

Reaction score
What I saw was a well rounded Panthers team with no real weakness. They dominated a decent Arizona team and made it look relatively easy.
Our team would've lost to this Panthers team by 2-3 scores IMO

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The apples of it........just to tie a very important game on the "last offensive attempt of the game", even with a Tom Brady and a Gronk.....the 2 point play isn't as easy as some might think, even after 2 Patriot marches down the field.

About to end my most frustrating communications day in a while. Never said the 2 point play is easy, just that the Patriots had absolutely no choice but to go for it, so the Bronco knew it was coming. Don't know why the part in quotes is that way, but it's not anything I said, is it?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
About to end my most frustrating communications day in a while. Never said the 2 point play is easy, just that the Patriots had absolutely no choice but to go for it, so the Bronco knew it was coming. Don't know why the part in quotes is that way, but it's not anything I said, is it?

LOL, about frustrating communication, I get it. BTW, you never did say the 2 point play was easy, that was more directed at those who ripped MM a new one for not going for a 2 point when other options were available.

I agree with you, Patriots had no choice in going for it, but I don't think that made it any easier or harder then the Packers situation. Bottom line, the 2 point play the Packers were facing wasn't as easy as some want to think it was and by not going for it, the Packers still gave themselves a chance to win in OT.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feel better? Sadly not. Tbh, it just makes me a bit sadder as I really believe our team was capable of beating the Cards. The ruthless way Newton picked them apart just highlights our own misgivings.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whenever you line up for a 2 point, they know you're going for it because you get it at the 2 yard line rather than the 15. It's never a trick play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
whenever you line up for a 2 point, they know you're going for it because you get it at the 2 yard line rather than the 15. It's never a trick play.
Agreed and IMO when you are facing a 2 pointer for a tie or a win (last play) a much harder 2 yards VS going for a 2 pointer with plenty of time on the clock and a successful conversion only brings you closer to being behind by 1 or 2 scores. Also much harder then going for 4th and 2 from anywhere else on the field.

Members online

Latest posts