1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Do We Resign Aaron Rodgers?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by DoddPower, Nov 8, 2007.

1. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    more than Rodgers has

2. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    i may be wrong.

3. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I will say this and that is TT was compelled to take AR in the draft when he did because Brett was so iffy about what he was going to do. However, I think he would have been a huge liabiliy back then had Brett left and Rodgers been put in. He wasn't ready at all.

I think the scenario has worked out well for both sides. We saw a QB that has had the time to grow as a player and learn a system he is obviously comfortable running.

To me if he left after this year then the last three would be much more of a waste of time for him than staying and taking over when it's his time.

4. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If we don't re-sign him, what were we thinking to start with!

5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    for the most part, i think our discussion has been a consensus that we do try to resign him, but that whether or not he wants to resign is the real question.

6. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Has he said anything either way?

7. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    not that i know of.

8. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    he will want to resign. he has no proof that he can do well just anywhere. He had one good showing in our system, on our playbook, under our coach. If your Aaron Rodgers... you stick with a team that has multiple young talented receivers and a high pitch count offense. It makes you look better stat wise and also you know the GM and Coach both have confidence in you to keep you. If your smart you sign. if your greedy you leave. he will resign.

9. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You aren't wrong. I believe it was 5. That's a long time to be a bench warmer. On the other hand I would rather let them be in the system a
    while before throwing them to the wolves. A lot of potentially good
    QBs have been screwed up for the remainder of their career by going
    in too early.(IMO)

10. TheKanataThrilla

TheKanataThrilla Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess much of this speculation surrounds what are the intentions of Aaron Rodgers? I would hope he would like to stay, but the offers with big bucks attached will no doubt come when he is available.

It would really be interesting if say Chase Daniel slipped in the draft what GB would do.

11. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i reckon we will definitely take a rookie QB again this year, possibly in late rounds.

12. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    i think taking a rookie QB in this draft is not only possible but a priority.

Say Favre retires after this season... which is a serious serious possibility. Its Rodgers and Nall, maybe Thompson. Not one proven NFL QB. so i think we let go of Nall and sign an NFL backup and draft another rookie.

13. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    First, Rodgers has earned his new contract, but to be honest what is his value?

He hasn't been given the opportunity to prove that he can do it week in and out.. thus decreasing his tangable value. So redoing his deal before he gets significant playing time may undervalue the contract.

If I was Rodgers... I would play the deal out.. hopefully get playing time in before the deal ends. If not.. force the Packers to hang a franchise or at least a transitional tag on me.. and leverage as much as I can to maximize the second deal.

14. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That would be a good plan, hopefully he is thinking like you.

15. Cal2GreenBay

Cal2GreenBay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Aaron has 5 years on his deal.

Keep in mind fellas..Aaron gets 1.2 mil a year to play back up.
    Sounds like a LOT right?

Remember he has an escalator clause that puts him at 5 million a year
    if he is the starter at Green Bay.

So each time, Brett decides to "come back"....that costs Aaron
    over 3 million dollars of money he could've had. That's a testament to Aaron's patience, and character of not being bitter about waiting, not hitting his contract incentives and STILL developing a genuine bond w/Favre..

I AGREE w/everyone that year one...Aaron was not ready. Year two
    he was getting there but still not ready.

In year three (this year..)...HE IS READY.

He has 2 more years left and I fully expect the packers to give him an extension.

Aaron's got the trust of the other players..he's growing up w/the young core of receivers..this is just a no-brainer.

He clicks w/Mike McCarthy(REMEMBER..McCARTHY wanted RODGERS over SMITH when he was in SAN FRANCISCO and got overruled..and hence started his want to come to Green BAY)

Ted Thompson had faith in him since day one...there's just too many positives.

(GOSH..I REMEMBER PEOPLE IN THIS FORUM WHO WERE CLAIMING TT and MM DIDN'T LIKE RODGERS...WHERE ARE THOSE PEOPLE NOW?)

The ONLY scenario I see of Aaron leaving is IF his old college coach
    Jeff Tedford takes a professional head coaching gig...would Aaron
    consider going.

The San Francisco 49ers are in disarray. They need an offensive minded head coach. They are GOING to cut ties w/Alex Smith..
    Jeff Tedford's players gave up on him at CAL this year. He doesn't want to be around non-character players like that.

I could see the 49ers trying to atone for their draft mistake, hire Tedford, and try to lure Rodgers over here w/a trade to San Francisco...and give
    Brett Favre...Vernon Davis TE to throw to in the package deal.

That's the only kind of far fetched scenario I could see Aaron leaving for..which means...Aaron is not leaving.

16. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cal - don't be surprised to what SF will do. They're kind of in desperation mode right now. That whole organization is in disarray.

But yeah, if I had $100 to bet someone, I'd bet them with 2 to 1 odds that Aaron's in GB 3 years from now (barring injury - KNOCK ON WOOD).