Do We Resign Aaron Rodgers?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be great to keep Rodgers, but I wouldn't blame him for leaving after his contract expires, if Favre is still here. That raises the question of whether the Packers should try to trade him for a high draft pick before his contract expires. That might not be a bad idea, but it would be a shame because it would mean starting all over and hoping the new guy would pan out. Not that Rodgers is guaranteed to be good, but he looks to be at least halfway there. Good skills, good attitude. He just needs to be battle-tested.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would think Ted would want to keep him around..Maybe there could be a q/b hitting free agency that would be worth a shot, or maybe a trade for one...But that is all depedning on when Brett does retire..

The guy is the q/b for the scout team and goes up agaisnt OUR Defense in practices..That in its self has to be making him better..And lastly, HE IS FREAKING LEARNING FROM BRETT..HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOO

I for one would LIKE to see what he has and keep him around...This past offseason--word was that in camp he looked to be 100% better then the previous camps. He is suppose to have better footwork, arm strength is better, just EVERYTHINg was better...He did look pretty good in preseason for the most part..

Not sure how anyone can say he isnt any good, or un impressive this year, since he hasnt played yet???

Now the real question would be..Does HE want to stay? Is he truly okay with just sitting there waiting and waiting, or does he want and need to be starting?

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I honestly think there would be some teams willing to throw him some decent cash. So many teams need a franchise quarterback, so a team that has an experienced started going out the door, pay rodgers and if the starter starts declining, put rodgers in and never look back . . . ideally.

I think we'll have to pay him pretty good to get him to stay here, unless he just really loves the place . . which he should and just might. It's an interesting question none the less.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Don't be to surprised if we don't draft a QB in someplace around rounds 3 to 5 this draft.. or maybe even a second rounder if there is a ton of value there.. the simple reason.. to safeguard against Rodger's not staying and to provide a backup if he stays past the end of next season.. just a guess.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
5 year deal so means he could be a FA..Wonder if Gb would like to have him test the market?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I all depends on Favre. If Favre retires this season or next season, I think A-Rod will stay.

A-Rod was a first round pick. I have never heard of a first round quarterback playing out his rookie contract without actually playing (??).

Rodgers looks happy on the sidelines, but the guy hasn't played in a game for 3 seasons. You can train as hard as you want and study film all day, but you have to play to get better.

A-Rod has had a very frustrating start to his career. He wants to play. He's ready to play.

Much like our super bowl chances, it all depends on Favre.

Look up Terry Hanratie(or Hanraty), he played his whole career backing up Terry Bradshaw in Pittsburgh. Of course things were a little different then, there was no free agency and guys usually stayed with the team who drafted them.
If my memory is correct he qualified for his NFL pension without ever starting a regular season game.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
Im going to be the only on here saying this, but IMO I think we let Rodgers go and sign another draft pick. I just havent seen to much in Rodgers as of yet, and when I do he doesnt impress me. I have to say I met him and hes funny and great guy.

"I just havent seen to much in Rodgers as of yet, and when I do he doesnt impress me"

lol are you serious.....hes played like 3/4 of a game in 4 years. How can you make an assesment on this.

lol thats silly

It just my opinion is all sorry if I offended you. It is hard to say because he hasnt been in the games much. But when he is in the game he doesnt look to be that great to me. Yes he is learning from Favre so thats a good thing. But learning from Favre and actually going out there to put those actions into place doesnt mean anything. Rodgers is not Favre no matter how much he learns from him. I hope if we do keep him around and he is Favre's successor I do hope he does well.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at how many QB's that didnt make it because they just didnt pan out. Again I am hoping for the best with Rodgers if he remains with us. The guy that I really liked was Thompson who is on our practice squod. I know you guys will be all over on me on that statement but so be it just how I feel. I seen Thompson play at training camp in Green Bay and he has great movement and is exciting to watch.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly think there would be some teams willing to throw him some decent cash. So many teams need a franchise quarterback, so a team that has an experienced started going out the door, pay rodgers and if the starter starts declining, put rodgers in and never look back . . . ideally.

I think we'll have to pay him pretty good to get him to stay here, unless he just really loves the place . . which he should and just might. It's an interesting question none the less.

This is true look at Nall...He was sort of in same situation, but buffalo gave him a nice deal and the CHANCE to start..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
brennan1884 said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
Im going to be the only on here saying this, but IMO I think we let Rodgers go and sign another draft pick. I just havent seen to much in Rodgers as of yet, and when I do he doesnt impress me. I have to say I met him and hes funny and great guy.

"I just havent seen to much in Rodgers as of yet, and when I do he doesnt impress me"

lol are you serious.....hes played like 3/4 of a game in 4 years. How can you make an assesment on this.

lol thats silly

It just my opinion is all sorry if I offended you. It is hard to say because he hasnt been in the games much. But when he is in the game he doesnt look to be that great to me. Yes he is learning from Favre so thats a good thing. But learning from Favre and actually going out there to put those actions into place doesnt mean anything. Rodgers is not Favre no matter how much he learns from him. I hope if we do keep him around and he is Favre's successor I do hope he does well.

I dont think it was you offended him..

He probably is wondering ( like I am ) you admited that you havent seen him play all that much, so how do you know he isnt any good?

The ONE game he did play in, he played on a BROKEN FOOT...

And dont come out and say he did nothing vs the Pats..Cuz Brett did just as bad..

But mark my words, WHO EVER is there after Brett, either Rod, or someone else, the 1st time they screw up, lot of fans will be ready to bench him

So to base how he performs on 2 or 3 quarters of a game in the 3 years he has been here, it sort of...Silly???

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted but here is what I found on his contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=3118&sport=NFL

7/30/2005: Signed a five-year, $7.7 million contract.

That means his contract doesn't expire until after the 2009 season. Which is still another 2 seasons away.

wow. if that's true, then it's almost perfect. I say Brett plays through next year and depending on how the team is going, MAYBE one more. Then it's time for him to retire, and we have a very smart backup to step in and a really good defense and running game to help ease the transition. I'm liking the way this is going!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be to surprised if we don't draft a QB in someplace around rounds 3 to 5 this draft.. or maybe even a second rounder if there is a ton of value there.. the simple reason.. to safeguard against Rodger's not staying and to provide a backup if he stays past the end of next season.. just a guess.

I hope not. I'd rather have a 3rd to 5th round draft pick on an OL. We need some OL depth. Heck, we need improvement at OL period.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
brennan1884 said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:

lol thats silly

He probably is wondering ( like I am ) you admited that you havent seen him play all that much, so how do you know he isnt any good?

And dont come out and say he did nothing vs the Pats..Cuz Brett did just as bad..

But mark my words, WHO EVER is there after Brett, either Rod, or someone else, the 1st time they screw up, lot of fans will be ready to bench him

So to base how he performs on 2 or 3 quarters of a game in the 3 years he has been here, it sort of...Silly???

I am just stating how I feel is all just like you guys are. I could be wrong but I could be right to. Like I said if Rodgers is our QB of the future when Favre is retired then I hope he does well..geesh I didnt mean to tick anyone off here just stating how I feel.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am just stating how I feel is all just like you guys are. I could be wrong but I could be right to. Like I said if Rodgers is our QB of the future when Favre is retired then I hope he does well..geesh I didnt mean to tick anyone off here just stating how I feel.

Don't worry.. depending on the salary demand that he will request.. I might very well be in your camp.. If he repeats this preseason performance... then maybe that factors.. but the end of the 09 season is a ways away at the point.. it will shake itself out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
brennan1884 said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:

lol thats silly

Heather, no one is ticked off? And you are entitled to your thoughts on him..

Sometimes a person just gets a feeling on why they dont like a player..I think that very well could be your reasoning behind it and thats OKAY!!!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:

Don't worry.. depending on the salary demand that he will request.. I might very well be in your camp.. If he repeats this preseason performance... then maybe that factors.. but the end of the 09 season is a ways away at the point.. it will shake itself out.

Thanks Pack!! Again whoever takes over for Favre I will stand behind 100%. Because the Pack will always be my team.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
longtimefan said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:
brennan1884 said:
Heatherthepackgirl said:

lol thats silly

Heather, no one is ticked off? And you are entitled to your thoughts on him..

Sometimes a person just gets a feeling on why they dont like a player..I think that very well could be your reasoning behind it and thats OKAY!!!

Thanks Longtimefan!! And your right its just a feeling I have, you guys are more knowledgeable when it comes to football, that is why I come here to get the scoop. I just throw in my two cents worth here and there. But I try not to say things that make people mad or argue.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted but here is what I found on his contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?id=3118&sport=NFL

7/30/2005: Signed a five-year, $7.7 million contract.

That means his contract doesn't expire until after the 2009 season. Which is still another 2 seasons away.

That's correct. He's not a FA until after the 2009 season. I see no reason to worry about re-signing him now since he still has all of this year and two more after. Does Favre have two more years in him after this one? Who knows what he'll do.

The best part is, even if Favre does play two more seasons and we re-sign AR to be our QB, he'll still only be 25 with years of experience sopping up info from Favre and a great QB coach in McCarthy.

favreisdaman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was watching sports center and mcnabb said he would like to become a packer if he left philly........ whatcha think??

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say trade him and draft a new guy this year. That way, we are guaranteed to see Favre 2 or 3 more years till the new guy is ready :)

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it should do Aaron a lot of good that he's gotten all these years of learning. I know 2 years ago the reports were he wasn't looking good in practice either. Has anyone heard lately if that's improved. Saying that I don't put everything into paractice either as some guys like Nall were terrible in practice but come gametime actually did alright. The tough part about QB is your only as good as your O-line so I hope for Aaron's sake by the time he gets in they can make him comfortable. Just my opinion but I think he may of been lucky that Brett came back this year cause I don't think the line and running game are enough to help him be a success right now. After all the learning and support he's given the team though I truly do hope that he can thrive here though in the future

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it should do Aaron a lot of good that he's gotten all these years of learning. I know 2 years ago the reports were he wasn't looking good in practice either. Has anyone heard lately if that's improved.

I mentioned it in this thread how some have said he has improved 100% in practices..

That comes from Gary Ellerson ( on wssp out of Milwaukee) he has seen him practice every year and this was the 1st time he was really impressed by him..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts