Aaron Rodgers' 2022 Season

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One interesting problem with that, among others, is that Tom Brady is to be an URFA next year. The Bucs aren't looking so hot for 2024, so Tom will presumably have his preferred pick again. (assuming he doesn't retire, of course)

If one of those teams exists, would they rather trade a boat load of picks AND pay a boat load of money for Rodgers? Or "just" pay a boat load of money for Tom Brady?

Smart money would be Rodgers; when healthy he’s a better QB than Brady who does more with much less than Brady does.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smart money would be Rodgers; when healthy he’s a better QB than Brady who does more with much less than Brady does.

I agree. But who is the better value? In either case, you're giving up cash and cap space. In one case, it's only money. In the other, it's also several high draft picks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree. But who is the better value? In either case, you're giving up cash and cap space. In one case, it's only money. In the other, it's also several high draft picks.
That is the $50 M question and they need to find the answer sooner rather than later. No doubt in my mind that right now, Rodgers is by far the better player, but your question of "who is the better value" is becoming more important as this team moves forward.

D

Deleted member 6794

One thing we cannot do however is hit 2024 with Loves' 5th year option (estimated around $20M) PLUS have Rodgers current cost that year of $40M.

The salary cap will for certain force the organization to pick between Love/future and Rodgers/now in the off season between 2023 and 2024. Which is why playing Rodgers now could potentially be the absolute crippling blow to the future of the franchise by not taking advantage of the golden opportunity to give Love a bonafide true tryout as the week long starter for weeks in a row - a glimpse at what MAY be 2023 or 2024 reality depending on Rodgers.

One thing to consider is that if the Packers move on from Rodgers after the 2023 season his contract would result in $68.2 million of dead money counting against their cap in 2024 or in a two year span if they decide to make it a post June 1 transaction.

Therefore I fully expect them to trade Rodgers if they exercise the fifth year option on Love next offseason.

I guess another option would be to sign Love to a longer contract before he has the chance to set the world on fire. Defer more money.

As mentioned above it's not realistic to expect the Packers to commit to Love for the 2024 season and hold on to Rodgers for next year.

It will all but guaranteed be either one of those options.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts