2024 draft discussion thread

U.P. Packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seem to recall an instance where we went to bed after either day 1 or day 2 thinking we were getting a top 10 pick the next day and we ended up with the first pick. I looked back 5 years though and couldn't find it. Perhaps my memory is not what it used to be. Or perhaps my memory is not what it used to be.

Anyway, with 5 top 100 picks I really didn't want to see them trade #25 but I would be fine with some day 2 movement even if it meant losing one of the remaining 4.

I think it was Watson a couple of years ago but it was the second pick in the round if I remember correctly.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cooper DeJean is still on the board but don't expect Gute to trade up to get him. I think they're waiting for another Cooper. Edgerton Cooper at pick 41 to be exact. Appears DeJean was valued at a safety by the league and not a cb. My guess is he played too much zone at Iowa. Teams were wondering if he can play man-to-man in the NFL as a CB.

Tampa wasted no time getting Barton right after Gute took Morgan. I hope I'm wrong but Barton is a better athlete and may exceed Morgan similarly to the way Humphrey has exceeded Myers at center.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was Watson a couple of years ago but it was the second pick in the round if I remember correctly.
You are right. I didn't find it because I was looking for the first pick in the round.
I explained why. Pretty clear too. Also never said I knew more than him anywhere. Comprehension must not be your strong suit.
You said he stretched. I don't think Gute thinks he stretched. You said we needed CB more. My guess is Gute thought an OL was more important. You said it was a wrong pick and the value wasn't there. Obviously Gute thinks differently. Lastly you brought up in a previous post that he was a 3/4 round talent at best. All that to me suggests that you think you know more than Gute does.

It was really the 3/4 round talent post that got me but I wasn't going to say anything because most people who make that claim are just venting and looking for an excuse to rip on a pick they dont like or have no clue. Either way I ignore it. When you backed it up with your next post claiming it was simply a bad pick I had to say something.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I am sure many will agree with you. It may even turn out to be the wrong pick but for now no one knows and I'll leave it at that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that’s why we have threads like this. To debate it. I think I bring pretty good reasons why you shouldn’t stretch. We could have done much better here for the value of the pick. We needed a CB more than what we picked and where he was slotted. It’s just that simple. Just because he made a stretch pick as usual in the early rounds, doesn’t mean it’s right, cuz it ain’t

So I’m assuming you just trust consensus boards as gospel more than most?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not surprised at the amount of folks declaring that Morgan was a borderline early Day3 guy….there are TONS of folks that don’t watch tape, read and study traits, measurables and reps at senior bowls.

Morgan was a Day2 level pick last year had he not got hurt….

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Tampa wasted no time getting Barton right after Gute took Morgan. I hope I'm wrong but Barton is a better athlete and may exceed Morgan similarly to the way Humphrey has exceeded Myers at center.
I can see comparing Humphrey and Myers, because they are both Centers. I don't feel the same with Morgan and Barton, as when their picks were announced, Morgan was announced as a Tackle, Barton was announced as a Center... two totally different positions. Now Barton may have a better and longer career, but I think if there is to be an argument made on the Morgan pick, it should be comparing Morgan to Guyton who was the next Tackle taken.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not surprised at the amount of folks declaring that Morgan was a borderline early Day3 guy….there are TONS of folks that don’t watch tape, read and study traits, measurables and reps at senior bowls.

The peanut gallery, when upset, always goes to the 'You could have just gotten him at X round' well which is usually some comically inflated round value to overemphasize their point. Looking at him post draft, seems like he was in the late 1st round/early 2nd discussion for many mocks I saw. Could argue that he would be there at 41, but him there in the 3rd, 4th or later. I don't see that at all.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So I’m assuming you just trust consensus boards as gospel more than most?
Of course that's the case. Everyone knows that the amateurs in the media know a whole lot more than a team of accomplished, professional scouts. :rolleyes:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The peanut gallery, when upset, always goes to the 'You could have just gotten him at X round' well which is usually some comically inflated round value to overemphasize their point. Looking at him post draft, seems like he was in the late 1st round/early 2nd discussion for many mocks I saw. Could argue that he would be there at 41, but him there in the 3rd, 4th or later. I don't see that at all.
The peanut gallery of course has eyes on all 32 teams draft boards so they know where each and every player can be picked. It's utterly amazing how omniscient they are.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see comparing Humphrey and Myers, because they are both Centers. I don't feel the same with Morgan and Barton, as when their picks were announced, Morgan was announced as a Tackle, Barton was announced as a Center... two totally different positions. Now Barton may have a better and longer career, but I think if there is to be an argument made on the Morgan pick, it should be comparing Morgan to Guyton who was the next Tackle taken.
I'm very happy that it was Morgan, and not Mims or Guyton. One of my boxes has been checked.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.. for 32 picks the rest of the NFL decided Copper DeJean is not worth a 1st round pick.

Having said that, I don't expect him to go past Buffalo at 33 tomorrow.

Yeah, Buffalo needs help in the secondary for sure.

As far as how 32 rated him a 2nd Rounder, not necessarily. Any team picking in the top 1/2 or so, could have had him ranked in first. Jets at 11 needed a tackle and Fashanu is a higher graded player than Dejean. They may have had Dejean the 20th rated player. They just didn't have a pick back there.

But to your point, I, and most fans, had him ranked higher than the GMs towards the end of the draft. PFF had him in top 10, so some analytics pointed to a high grade. Or maybe it's just racism. A white guy playing CB? Com' on! On a serious note, the last notable white CB I can actually think of is Seahorn a bunch of years ago.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm very happy that it was Morgan, and not Mims or Guyton. One of my boxes has been checked.
Certainly favored the aggression of Mims and Guyton, and would have gone Guyton myself. We can have some players that are just tackles and rely on the others for their positional versatility.

I am happy with Morgan. He is a bit of a projection as he may have been slowed by the ACL last season. I trust our medical staff isn't concerned and Gute feels their is more upside there. I thought he was too much finess and that we were looking for more aggressive OL guys. But the man can really move well. I love adding to the OL in a deep OL draft; trying to shoreup a weak link on the OL; and investing in the protection of Love. Our offense may be just that much better.

I think we should get 1 more guy today for the OL. Puni!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right but that will be camp in 2025. He's a Rookie and will likely just be a backup this year potentially to both tackle and guard spots.
I think they will probably try him at 3 different positions in August of this year. They are probably going to want to see how quickly he learns the different positions and how he adapts to moving around.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that’s why we have threads like this. To debate it. I think I bring pretty good reasons why you shouldn’t stretch. We could have done much better here for the value of the pick. We needed a CB more than what we picked and where he was slotted. It’s just that simple. Just because he made a stretch pick as usual in the early rounds, doesn’t mean it’s right, cuz it ain’t
It's all in how you're phrasing it. Words have meaning.
Do you really believe that the Packers war room believes that Morgan is a stretch at 25?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Cooper DeJean is still on the board but don't expect Gute to trade up to get him. I think they're waiting for another Cooper. Edgerton Cooper at pick 41 to be exact. Appears DeJean was valued at a safety by the league and not a cb. My guess is he played too much zone at Iowa. Teams were wondering if he can play man-to-man in the NFL as a CB.

Some here think that Barton is a low ceiling, high floor pick. The fact that Morgan was the choice leads me to believe that the ability to play tackle at a higher level was a defining factor in the choice. Hence my question about whether they would eventually move Tom to center or guard.
I think the choice also takes the likelihood of Amagadjie being drafted by us off the table.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am satisfied. We needed help at OL, LB, and CB. We will get it whether in the draft or through the market up until September. There are no more Bahk worries. I think Gute is adamant about blocking for our RBs and protecting Jordan in his youth.
I sure hope he doesn't forget about getting help at Safety sometime today also.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Buffalo needs help in the secondary for sure.

As far as how 32 rated him a 2nd Rounder, not necessarily. Any team picking in the top 1/2 or so, could have had him ranked in first. Jets at 11 needed a tackle and Fashanu is a higher graded player than Dejean. They may have had Dejean the 20th rated player. They just didn't have a pick back there.

But to your point, I, and most fans, had him ranked higher than the GMs towards the end of the draft. PFF had him in top 10, so some analytics pointed to a high grade. Or maybe it's just racism. A white guy playing CB? Com' on! On a serious note, the last notable white CB I can actually think of is Seahorn a bunch of years ago.
I liked Jason Sehorn's accomplishments off the field.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Think the Packers could package the #41 with the #88 or #91 to move up enough to get DeJean or McKinistry? It would pretty much have to be the Bills or Pats.

And should they?
I think the Bills and the Patriots both go WR. I would wait until one of the 2 goes, before I trade up. If I did trade, I would look at the Cardinals at #35. I would offer #41 and #91 for #35 and their 5th #138