Do We Resign Aaron Rodgers?

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
If i'm correct, Aaron Rodgers contract is up at the end of the season. If i'm wrong, please correct me. But if so, do we give him the big contract I'm sure he wants / expects? Unless the packers win the superbowl, I see Brett playing for one more year, POSSIBLY two at max. With that being said, we obviously will have to have a solid back up in play. The quaterback situation right now in the NFL is rough. I believe I read something on nfl.com the other night that said "The NFL is out of quaterbacks." Teams all across the league are having QB troubles and the importance of a good quaterback cannot be overstated.

I say yes, we should give Rodger's an extension and he should take over the reigns for Favre. He knows our system really well and should be able to make a good transition to the full time starter. Good quaterbacks seem to be hard to come by, so I say Rodgers is our man unless another "gunslinger" comes about that we just can't resist?

Thoughts?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not up at the end of the season. I don't have a link or anything but I'm pretty certain it doesn't end this season. If I had a guess, 2009 is when it runs out.

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score
Yeah, i was thinking it was either this season or next at the latest.

But, even if it is next season, do we keep him?

BobbyOShea

Cheesehead
Reaction score
abso-friggin-lutely.... i seriously think that Rodgers is going to be a solid QB for the back, and considering the defense we've built up, there should be an easy transition. I don't want to say its going to be like Steve Young waiting in the wings for Montana to retire, but its close.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes you sign him whenever it is due (or earlier). Although it seems like it Favre won't play forever and I think Rodgers is going to be great. We sure don't want to be signing Vinny Testaverde or Jeff George when we get in a QB crunch!!

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His contract runs through next season. I say we re-sign him. He will get a raise but I don't think he's in a position to demand a giant contract. I am not a contract/salary-cap guru though, that is just my best guess.

Favre will play next season and maybe one more. I can see Rodgers still being a backup for the first year of his new contract!

I am sure Rodgers is anxious to play but he is in a good situation and hopefully will continue to be patient.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Trade him to the Vikings for Troy Williamson.

You get a signed autograph of Aaron and a bag of Ho-Ho's for Twill... you probably got the better end of the deal as well.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can't be considered a draft bust. Can you blame him? You can't just replace Favre when he's still playing.

So yes, we have to re-sign him. I'm not saying give him Tony Romo's salary, but once again--we have to load it with incentives.

The guy is our pick, the guy is our future, and we have to stand by that. The coaches even believe that he knows the playbook better than Brett Favre. All that's standing in the way of Rodgers being a star right now is Brett Favre's bones.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't even a topic. Rodgers will not accept an extension at this point. He hasn't gotten a chance to play and Favre is still one of the best QBs in the game. Favre could play another 3-4 years easy. Favre has been talking retirement for at least 5 years now, so there's nothing to predict that he won't keep coming back.

Rodgers wants to play and once his contract is up he could get a good 1 year deal to prove himself in order to get a big payday.

Now I like Rodgers as our next QB, so from a GB perspective of course you keep him. But I don't think that TT will have a choice of extending his contract until Favre officially retires.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:
Trade him to the Vikings for Troy Williamson.

You get a signed autograph of Aaron and a bag of Ho-Ho's for Twill... you probably got the better end of the deal as well.

I think they would take that if you threw in a six pack of Old Milwaukee.

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
This isn't even a topic. Rodgers will not accept an extension at this point. He hasn't gotten a chance to play and Favre is still one of the best QBs in the game. Favre could play another 3-4 years easy. Favre has been talking retirement for at least 5 years now, so there's nothing to predict that he won't keep coming back.

Rodgers wants to play and once his contract is up he could get a good 1 year deal to prove himself in order to get a big payday.

Now I like Rodgers as our next QB, so from a GB perspective of course you keep him. But I don't think that TT will have a choice of extending his contract until Favre officially retires.

That was why I was posting this topic. I was thinking that the guy might be ready to play, no matter what. How long can he sit around and wait? I believe he will have to get a pretty big pay day to stay in Green Bay past his rookie contract unless he's playing. A deal that's probably somewhat un-deserved . . . at this point.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If i'm correct, Aaron Rodgers contract is up at the end of the season. If i'm wrong, please correct me. But if so, do we give him the big contract I'm sure he wants / expects? Unless the packers win the superbowl, I see Brett playing for one more year, POSSIBLY two at max. With that being said, we obviously will have to have a solid back up in play. The quaterback situation right now in the NFL is rough. I believe I read something on nfl.com the other night that said "The NFL is out of quaterbacks." Teams all across the league are having QB troubles and the importance of a good quaterback cannot be overstated.

I say yes, we should give Rodger's an extension and he should take over the reigns for Favre. He knows our system really well and should be able to make a good transition to the full time starter. Good quaterbacks seem to be hard to come by, so I say Rodgers is our man unless another "gunslinger" comes about that we just can't resist?

Thoughts?

Mr. Favre will play 3 more years after this. He's surpassed all expectations, even mine.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
depending on what kind of money he wants,,,, we cant get carried away and throw the bank at him, im assuming hed want the top money for a backup qb

OP
OP
DoddPower

DoddPower

Reaction score
DoddPower said:

I say yes, we should give Rodger's an extension and he should take over the reigns for Favre. He knows our system really well and should be able to make a good transition to the full time starter. Good quarterbacks seem to be hard to come by, so I say Rodgers is our man unless another "gunslinger" comes about that we just can't resist?

Thoughts?

Mr. Favre will play 3 more years after this. He's surpassed all expectations, even mine.

Well, with that being said, where does that leave us after Favre? I really think if we lose Rodger's because of Favre staying, UNLESS we are seriously competing for the super bowl would be harmful to the longevity of the team. But, if things continue this way, then I don't suppose it really matters. We just have a lot invested in Rodgers. It would be unfortunate if he walked away a season or two before Favre steps down.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a rod loves this team,,,,, id be shocked if he left, plus hes completely unproven so no team is going to think hes worth an isermountable amount of money, i think we can compete with what other teams will pay for sure

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a rod loves this team,,,,, id be shocked if he left, plus hes completely unproven so no team is going to think hes worth an isermountable amount of money, i think we can compete with what other teams will pay for sure

Agreed. Every time I see Rodgers, he has a smile on his face. I think the chemistry between Favre and Rodgers has really gotten better this year.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is there any doubt over his body strength though? I mean he came in as a replacement, then he wasn't even able to do that the following week after the Pats game last year. you'd think he'd be in the gym all the time.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think A-Rod definately stays. He's in a great situation. By the time he takes over he'll have this great WR crew and hopefully by then one of the best O-lines. I found it cool when I heard the other day every practice Brett and Aaron line up at the fifty and with 5 throws each see who can put it in a bin at the goal line. Brett said neither of them has been very good so far as Aaron one the other day by getting one in

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im going to be the only on here saying this, but IMO I think we let Rodgers go and sign another draft pick. I just havent seen to much in Rodgers as of yet, and when I do he doesnt impress me. I have to say I met him and hes funny and great guy.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im going to be the only on here saying this, but IMO I think we let Rodgers go and sign another draft pick. I just havent seen to much in Rodgers as of yet, and when I do he doesnt impress me. I have to say I met him and hes funny and great guy.

"I just havent seen to much in Rodgers as of yet, and when I do he doesnt impress me"

lol are you serious.....hes played like 3/4 of a game in 4 years. How can you make an assesment on this.

lol thats silly

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I all depends on Favre. If Favre retires this season or next season, I think A-Rod will stay.

A-Rod was a first round pick. I have never heard of a first round quarterback playing out his rookie contract without actually playing (??).

Rodgers looks happy on the sidelines, but the guy hasn't played in a game for 3 seasons. You can train as hard as you want and study film all day, but you have to play to get better.

A-Rod has had a very frustrating start to his career. He wants to play. He's ready to play.

Much like our super bowl chances, it all depends on Favre.

Staff online

Members online