Do we now go CB in the 1st rd?

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea i'd hope so, Amukamara is who i wish we could trade up and get...since were gonna be drafting the 32nd draft pick :happy0005:

Also Aaron Williams?? never heard of

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I would. Harris is gone, Woodson's aging, seems to make sense.

Tramon on one corner, Shields on the other, 1st rounder at the nickel, Woodson at safety. I can get behind that.

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would. Harris is gone, Woodson's aging, seems to make sense.

Tramon on one corner, Shields on the other, 1st rounder at the nickel, Woodson at safety. I can get behind that.

Do you think Shields would be better suited at starting corner above a 1st rounder? I can't get much college football over here, so I can't see how good the corner's are coming out of the draft, I was just asking a legit question :)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Do you think Shields would be better suited at starting corner above a 1st rounder? I can't get much college football over here, so I can't see how good the corner's are coming out of the draft, I was just asking a legit question :)

Prince Amukamara and Patrick Peterson are the only semi-sure things at CB in this draft, and they'll both be gone by pick 10.

I would imagine whoever we take would be a little on the raw side, but with a boatload of upside. I'm thinking Shields starting for a year would probably end up being the plan.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think they'll go CB in the first round. Maybe not until the late rounds even.

OLB, WR, DE/DT(depends on Jenkins), OT

People are suggesting Woodson to safety, however what would they do with Burnett, who they are still high on?

But I wouldn't want anything other than a high quality pass rushing OLB first round. With another good rusher, you don't need exceptional CB's. Pass rush > Coverage

If they had someone who was powerful and could bull rush, they would play on the left side, Clay could go back to the right side more. They could help collapse the pocket on the left side there pushing the QB into the speed rusher, Clay. We could be unstoppable.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they'll go CB in the first round. Maybe not until the late rounds even.

OLB, WR, DE/DT(depends on Jenkins), OT

People are suggesting Woodson to safety, however what would they do with Burnett, who they are still high on?

But I wouldn't want anything other than a high quality pass rushing OLB first round. With another good rusher, you don't need exceptional CB's. Pass rush > Coverage

If they had someone who was powerful and could bull rush, they would play on the left side, Clay could go back to the right side more. They could help collapse the pocket on the left side there pushing the QB into the speed rusher, Clay. We could be unstoppable.

no doubt

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not put CB as a pressing need, if that is what you are saying. I think we have bigger 'needs' at OLB, OL, and MLB. I like our young CBs, I think Shields will be something special, and will be starting quality next year.

I think TT will stick to his usual game plan and select the BPA. We are such a deep team, he is now more willing to trade up to get a player he thinks is dropping. At this point, anything can happen. A trade up is as likely as a trade down is as likely as staying put. Personally, I would be thrilled if TT moves up - I will take it to mean there is a very good player available. They probably won't all work out like Claymaker, but you never know.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will go BPA. Corner isn't a need anymore.

But Both Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara are GREAT players, and if we're picking late (God willing) both probably would be the best player, if available...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year it wasn't that way.
I believe Bulaga was indeed the highest player on their board. Neal might not have been, but he was close, and DLs were being taken on the fly.

BTW, we had an AMAZING draft, for the second year in a row. Bulaga, Neal, Burnett, C.J. Wilson, Sam Shields, all seem like quality players...

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Bulaga was indeed the highest player on their board. Neal might not have been, but he was close, and DLs were being taken on the fly.

BTW, we had an AMAZING draft, for the second year in a row. Bulaga, Neal, Burnett, C.J. Wilson, Sam Shields, all seem like quality players...

Things are looking up for the Pack

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To nitpick a bit, Shields was an UDFA and not drafted. But, I agree the offseason was amazing. Thompson has now had 3 straight offseasons and 5 of 6 overall with at least 2 players that are or will be Pro Bowl caliber (Matthews, Rodgers, Woodson and Finley are top 25 players in the NFL):

2005: Rodgers, Collins
2006: Woodson, Jennings, T Williams

2008: Finley, Sitton
2009: Matthews, Raji
2010: Bulaga, Shields, maybe Neal

In addition, they have gotten many starting caliber players - B Jones, Wilson, Nelson, Lang, Burnett, Masthay, Zombo, Flynn (look for TT to trade Flynn for a #1 or #2 pick in the next year or so).

There are only a few holes left on the team (mentioned earlier in this thread) and Thompson will have plenty of draft picks to fill them in the 2011 draft. This is truly a healthy roster (on paper, not according to the IR list). TT gets my pick as NFL GM of the year (again).

If TT can get a #1 for Flynn, he would get GM of the decade. There are only so many Jerry Jones/Matt Millens/Daniel Snyders out there.

As far as quality starters, I would add College, Jolly and Bishop to the list.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
after cutting Harris, do u guys think we will take a CB in the 1st rd?

The Packers should draft a defensive back regardless, but I don't see why the release of Al Harris would necessitate the need for a corner. The guy hasn't played for the Packers in almost two years. Packers should draft a corner because you could never have enough corners.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT can get a #1 for Flynn, he would get GM of the decade. There are only so many Jerry Jones/Matt Millens/Daniel Snyders out there.

As far as quality starters, I would add College, Jolly and Bishop to the list.

The only way TT could get a #1 or #2 for Flynn would be with a gun and a mask.

cantstop12to85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Patrick Peterson a lot he's got a ton of talent and can even return punts, but my favorite thing about him is his football intelligence. He knows whats going on every play and knows exactly how to handle the pressures of his position. I've watched plenty of LSU football this year and hes easily my favorite CB in the NCAA right now, it would be CRUCIAL to pick him up next year

Members online

Latest posts