Do we now go CB in the 1st rd?

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you guys serious?
We have O-Linemen playing D-Line right now!
TT goes Defense BUT he picks up a D-Line Option

Hope its not another Harrell pick Though!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you guys serious?

3-4 defensive ends typically don't go in the first round. Since 3-4 ends are bigger, stronger and slower than 4-3 ends, there is an abundance in Rounds 2 through 7.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you guys serious?

We are counting on Harrell having a break through year.

Ok, on the serious side, we have Mike Neal and maybe Johnny Jolly next season. Thats makes a decent rotation along with CJ Wilson and Green; we are actually pretty good there.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I like Patrick Peterson a lot he's got a ton of talent and can even return punts, but my favorite thing about him is his football intelligence. He knows whats going on every play and knows exactly how to handle the pressures of his position. I've watched plenty of LSU football this year and hes easily my favorite CB in the NCAA right now, it would be CRUCIAL to pick him up next year

Unless you want to trade up to #1, #2, or #3 overall, we aren't getting Patrick Peterson.

He might even be gone by #3.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading Flynn needs its own thread.

I wouldnt be opposed to it but I would like to see at least a high 2nd.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless you want to trade up to #1, #2, or #3 overall, we aren't getting Patrick Peterson.

He might even be gone by #3.

Much can happen in the next 5 months. Bulaga was listed this time last season as a top 10 pick. I never saw him in the top 3, but I did see where he was the first OL at #5 taken on one mock.

Are only hope, though, for Peterson may be a serious injury.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I place greater weight on what NFL people say over JenningsLongCatch.

"If I was a GM and I needed a quarterback that's who I would go get," an executive in personnel for an NFL club said in unsolicited remarks in April. "I think he's the best backup in the league.

"Colt McCoy isn't as good as Flynn. In fact, if you threw him in, I'm not so sure that in two or three years he wouldn't be every bit as good as Tony Romo. Maybe better. They said he didn't have a big arm but all he did was win a national championship. He's smart and he's tough, and when he came out he was a high 4.6 (40-yard dash guy) guy."

That scout tried to sell Flynn to the decision-makers in his organization before the 2008 draft but "couldn't get to first base. I absolutely loved the kid."

A personnel man for another NFL club brought up Flynn's name in conversation about a year before that. His message was almost exactly the same: If he ever became a general manager he'd be trading for Flynn.

"I wanted to draft him, but we didn't do anything about it," the scout said. "Look. That guy is the next Mark Brunell. They will get a high pick for him some day."

Here's a link to the entire article:

Packers confident Flynn has what it takes - JSOnline

If the Packers get a 1st or 2nd round pick for Flynn, I will never post here again.

I like the "I wanted to draft him" part. The guy was picked in the 7th round. Plenty of time to pick him "unnamed scout".

BTW, Colt McCoy has 3 more NFL wins than Matt Flynn.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for.

Refer to my post on the Flynn topic. The Packers got the equivalent of the first pick in the second round for Hasselbeck in 2001. Hasselbeck was a 6th round pick a few years earlier and worked under an elite QB at that time. Flynn was a 7th rounder is working behind a near-elite QB. There are a lot of parallels between the two.

The Seahawks gave up a 3rd rounder for a 3rd string guy, Charlie Whitehurst, last season. It is certainly within the realm of possibilities that someone offers a 2nd for Flynn. But to get a 1st rounder, that would be a little much.

We just need to showcase him a little better next preseason or in Sunday's game against the Vikes when we are up 30 at the half.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for.

Refer to my post on the Flynn topic. The Packers got the equivalent of the first pick in the second round for Hasselbeck in 2001. Hasselbeck was a 6th round pick a few years earlier and worked under an elite QB at that time. Flynn was a 7th rounder is working behind a near-elite QB. There are a lot of parallels between the two.

I'll take my chances the Packers won't get a 1st or 2nd for Matt Flynn.

Matt Cassel had a Pro-Bowl season and lead the Pats to an 11-6 record. The Patriots got a 2nd round pick.

Like I said before, the only way TT gets a 1st or 2nd round pick for Flynn is with a mask & gun.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it was. Bulaga was the highest rated player when the Packers drafted. There were mock drafts that had him going in the top 10.

We had Bulaga at #10 overall last year so I was very pleased to see that we got him as far down as we did. According to our board, it was one of the best value picks of the first round.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3-4 defensive ends typically don't go in the first round. Since 3-4 ends are bigger, stronger and slower than 4-3 ends, there is an abundance in Rounds 2 through 7.

This is a huge fallacy to believe that you should look for 3/4 ends in later rounds. In actuality, 3/4 ends are typically undersized, quicker, faster DTs in the college ranks. See Mike Neal for further reference.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shareece Wright from USC!!!

Two words:

No

Way

He is undersized (5-11, 185) and thin! And for that you get a guy with average speed (4.51). If you are going to be that frail you better be able to fly, not be average. The other thing is he was out in 2009 for academic ineligible.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting 32nd, you have to grab the guy that dropped on your board. There will be somebody ranked above 15 when we pick. I don't care if its a DT/DE/QB/CB/S/TE/? - get the best player that we can.

If you draft players with less talent, you end up with a less talented team. Things are always changing and you should never be drafting for this year, but for 2-3 years down the road anyway. Consider this season. I bet everyone of you would have said we have too many TEs and we are weak at CB. Now? We have some real good talent at CB and we are starting or 4th string TE.

BPA all the way - as TT has always done in the past.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting 32nd, you have to grab the guy that dropped on your board. There will be somebody ranked above 15 when we pick. I don't care if its a DT/DE/QB/CB/S/TE/? - get the best player that we can.

If you draft players with less talent, you end up with a less talented team. Things are always changing and you should never be drafting for this year, but for 2-3 years down the road anyway. Consider this season. I bet everyone of you would have said we have too many TEs and we are weak at CB. Now? We have some real good talent at CB and we are starting or 4th string TE.

BPA all the way - as TT has always done in the past.
Except for TE and QB IMHO. Specially at QB. If you have 2 QBs, you don't have any QB.

Rodgers is the QB of the next 10 years.

And at TE, we seem fit with Finley, and with a younger in Quarless.

The rest I agree. Don't care about the position, get the BPA. We could use a great player anywhere, and we don't have any glaring need.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Neal is a good example of a 3/4 DE who was a DT in college. Tyson Jackson (KC) was a DE at LSU and was drafted high in the first round in 2009 (#3 I think), but he has been pretty much a bust. The point with Jackson is 3/4 teams are willing to grab them earlier than they should maybe go because they are tough to find.

Typically the better ones have a large wingspan for batting down passes and can play the run really well.

Well the difference between Neal and Jackson is Neal was a DT in college and Jackson was a DE. If you want to target a good DE for the 3/4 keep an eye on the following guys:

DE's
Cameron Jordan - Cal
Adrian Clayborn - Iowa
Cameron Heyward - Ohio State
Allen Bailey - Miami
Christian Ballard - Iowa
Pernell McPhee - Miss State
Lazarius Levingston - LSU

DT's
Stephen Paea - Oregon
Drake Nevis - LSU
Marvin Austin - UNC
Jarvis Jenkins - Clemson
Sione Fua - Stanford
Ian Williams - Notre Dame
Colby Whitlock - Texas Tech
Mike Blanc - Auburn
Cory Grant - TCU
Anthony Gray - Southern Miss
Ollie Ogbu - Penn State
Martin Parker - Richmond
Ladi Ajiboye - South Carolina
Ted Laurent - Mississippi

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said in another thread, I would rather have another OLB to compliment CM3, such as Von Miller.

But would also love to have Prince Amukamara, but the odds of him falling to us are EXTREMELY small.

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...they said the same thing about Bulaga :biggrin:

Yeah, but what are the odds that both of them fall that far to us for two straight years?

But with our running game being as bad as it is, we may need to take a running back, such as Ryan Williams. Maybe even another lineman, depending on what heppens with Tauscher.

Members online

Latest posts