GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would say it'll be the best available of these three positions:

OLB
OT
CB

But if LeShoure is there when we pick, he might be hard to pass on.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
more than likely we take the best player available. I could see us taking a WR if one was left that was that good.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should go kicker in the 1st.

Before someone (GreenBold) goes all **** on me, yes it's a joke. I don't think a pick should ever be used on a kicker, based on all that is involved in kicking and that it's out of the kickers' control.

/shivers at thoughts of Brett Conway

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that TT will probably take the best player available, regardless of position. That is unless he has his eye on a specific guy like he did for Matthews, but not likely. I do think they should take the best OLine/OLB/CB that is available. That is unless the rest of the teams gifted us with a top 5 or 10 pick that falls to us.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I agree that TT will probably take the best player available, regardless of position. That is unless he has his eye on a specific guy like he did for Matthews, but not likely. I do think they should take the best OLine/OLB/CB that is available. That is unless the rest of the teams gifted us with a top 5 or 10 pick that falls to us.
That is exactly my philosphy, but I like a CB before another OLB, I don't see it as a dire need as others do. Clay is eating up blocks and others are getting the sack. OK, if you find an elite player that dropped I'd get it, but that's the kind of D this team has, no name, everyone does his job and it's all okay.
I just hope fans realize what an impact Clay is having even without the sacks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope fans realize what an impact Clay is having even without the sacks.

early in the season he was getting double teamed and getting the sacks, now he is getting double teamed and nothing. i understand it helps everyone else but I am not thrilled with the dry spell

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
This should be a fairly easy draft for Thompson. He has no GLARING weaknesses. The defense is outstanding and the offense is very good, when healthy. The offensive line will need a few guys. The main thing is to get the guys on IR back and healthy.

He is likely to lose several guys to free agency this year, but already has 8 picks and will get a 9th as compensation for losing Kampman last year to free agency. He would get another high pick should he decide to trade Flynn.

He will have plenty of ammunition to restock the roster via the draft or trade. It's gonna be BPA, I think.

I think our small, easily overpowered OL has been a pretty glaring weakness this year.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This should be a fairly easy draft for Thompson. He has no GLARING weaknesses. The defense is outstanding and the offense is very good, when healthy. The offensive line will need a few guys. The main thing is to get the guys on IR back and healthy.

He is likely to lose several guys to free agency this year, but already has 8 picks and will get a 9th as compensation for losing Kampman last year to free agency. He would get another high pick should he decide to trade Flynn.

He will have plenty of ammunition to restock the roster via the draft or trade. It's gonna be BPA, I think.

This would be the perfect situation to trade up, but knowing ted he will trade down several times. No complaints, he knows what he is doing. But I will revolt if no O linemen are taken.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year's draft is going to be DEEP at a 2 key positions:

1. OT - If the draft was held today, there could be as many as 5 SENIOR OTs taken in the first round. That's right folks, 5 SENIORS in the first round BEFORE the juniors even come out! They consist of Sherrod, Solder, Carimi, Castonzo, and Love.

2. DE - As of today there could be as many as 5 senior DEs with first round talent going in the first round as well. They are Clayborn, Jordan, Kerrigan, Heyward, and Bailey. All but Kerrigan have the size ( over 285lbs ) and speed ( not one is over an estimated 4.92 in the 40 yard dash ) to play DE in the 3-4 defense.

Now I know you all are saying "Why does this matter since a bunch of juniors will come out and bump some of these guys down anyway?" Well it matters because you could get potential first round talent in the 2nd and 3rd round at these 2 positions! So if a guy grades out as a first round prospect but falls to the 2nd round, he could be a gem. Case in point: Bryan Bulaga. Last season we had him at #10 on the overall board, but because we got him at 23, we made a big jump in value and got the most for our pick. THAT, my friends, is how you have successful drafts. So look at OT and DE this season as strong points where a steal could be found late in the first or even in the 2nd round.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do. But I'd still like to see us draft a top CB prospect.

You do realize as of today that we would be picking 19th overall and because Prince Amukamara is likely the best player in the draft ( without any juniors declaring ) he will most likely be top 5 right?

And you do realize that we would have to aquire roughly 1700 trade points to get to #5?

And you do realize that would mean we would either have to:

-Give up our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks.

-Make a combination of high picks with a player in a trade.

-Or trade away 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks in the future.

...in order to get up to the top 5 pick right?

I hope you understand how insane that sounds from a standpoint of trading away your entire draft either this year or next.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah but we are thin at that position and he was the best CB in the country this year

I would have voted for Peterson from LSU as the best CB in the nation this season. He is a shut-down CB with great size and speed. Could be a HOFer, but will go top 5. Prince could go that high as well, so its just a pipe dream to get either one.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate the idea of trading a ton of picks for a top 5 pick. too expensive as far as contracts go too.

Woodson is about ready to play safety after this year so yeah we need another corner. I might be ok with it if it only cost us flynn and a 1st or 2nd.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prediction:
We'll select at least one DB (probably CB), one WR and one interior linemen in this draft. Don't know what rounds, but from what I see on this team, from what I see on the roster, I think TT will take those positions.
If I had to bet, I'd put my money on G and WR on the first 3 rounds.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prediction:
We'll select at least one DB (probably CB), one WR and one interior linemen in this draft. Don't know what rounds, but from what I see on this team, from what I see on the roster, I think TT will take those positions.

Do we resign that kicker of ours or do we draft/ sign one

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prediction:

you are right

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we resign that kicker of ours or do we draft/ sign one
That I have no idea. Would probably tend towards us keeping Crosby.
We will have 9 picks going into the draft (and if he decides to trade Flynn, the number could be even higher) so it is not a stretch at all to think we draft a DB, and OL, and a WR.

To me, the interesting thing to watch will be if TT decides to try to re-sign all/most of his own free agents or if he decides to let them sign elsewhere and restock these positions through the draft. If he decides to re-sign his own, I could see him trading up to insure he gets the guys he wants. If he decides to let them walk, I could see him sitting back and letting the draft come to him - maybe even trading down a few times to increase his number of picks.

My guess - he lets many of the Packer UFAs sign elsewhere (Hall, Spitz, Bigby, Colledge, Poppinga and maybe even Jenkins and Jones). I think he will probably re-sign Bishop, but will want to save some $$ for the upcoming contracts of Finley and Sitton a year from now.
I thought we had 8 picks, cause we lost a 7th for Anthony Smith...

Anyway, anything TT does in the draft is unpredictable. 99% of the people thought he would get a CB for sure last draft...

So, it is a big deal anyone predicting anything that TT will do in the draft, and nailing it. Usually predicting that a team will draft in a position of need is nothing new, but not with TT...

Members online

Latest posts