Do we have a 2nd Half Problem?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the other team can stop the run (like in the 2nd half of the Panther game); you have to be able to pass to be able to run. And not those quick sideways passes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a classic case of stating a faulty premise as fact and then basing an entire theory upon it. I saw absolutely no evidence of the Packers going into anything resembling “prevent offense” on Saturday night. What I did see is the Panthers D adjusting and the Packers offense failing to execute. I’m not even sure how you are defining “prevent offense” but I would assume it would involve a heavy dose of running the ball to attempt to burn the clock at the expense of bigger pass plays to get down the field or at least get the first down. What actually happened is that the Packers stayed pass heavy and we had a combination of dropped passes and Rodgers getting harassed and sacked while the offensive line stood and watched.
Reading between the lines in the pressers and it looks like this in on AR12 and not MLF. RPOs that turned mostly into quick passes that weren't as open as they first seemed.

Gary Ellerson alluded to same thing yesterday on wssp. Even (gasp) said was to locked in on Adams

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary Ellerson alluded to same thing yesterday on wssp. Even (gasp) said was to locked in on Adams
(Gasp) Trying to get the ball to your best receiver?! The sheer stupidity! And I'm sorry, I find it hard to believe that Rodgers unilaterally decided at halftime to stop running the ball.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
(Gasp) Trying to get the ball to your best receiver?! The sheer stupidity! And I'm sorry, I find it hard to believe that Rodgers unilaterally decided at halftime to stop running the ball.
Listen to his take b4 pooo pooing a ex nfl.players thoughts

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the ex-NFL player explain why Rodgers made the change at halftime?
You really should watch games more closely instead of blindly defending Rodgers. He is a great Quarterback. But he is not perfect. I find it ridiculous how tortured people’s logic gets in here as soon as anyone dares to suggest that maybe Rodgers has an off game. Heck... Rodgers is more willing to critique himself than a few posters in here. I am in no way blaming Rodgers entirely for the play of the offense, but he did make some poor decisions. He also made a few great throws that were dropped, and his offensive line definitely did not perform well. There are a lot of things that go into a football game and it is rarely just one thing that causes breakdowns. However you really want to ignore reality if you think Rodgers didn’t call a few passes where a run might have been more appropriate. Lefleur said this himself so I think I’ll listen to the head coach.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really should watch games more closely instead of blindly defending Rodgers. He is a great Quarterback. But he is not perfect. I find it ridiculous how tortured people’s logic gets in here as soon as anyone dares to suggest that maybe Rodgers has an off game. Heck... Rodgers is more willing to critique himself than a few posters in here. I am in no way blaming Rodgers entirely for the play of the offense, but he did make some poor decisions. He also made a few great throws that were dropped, and his offensive line definitely did not perform well. There are a lot of things that go into a football game and it is rarely just one thing that causes breakdowns. However you really want to ignore reality if you think Rodgers didn’t call a few passes where a run might have been more appropriate. Lefleur said this himself so I think I’ll listen to the head coach.

Great, you blindly defend the HC while I, apparently, blindly defend the QB. In the mean time, can someone explain what happened at halftime that made Rodgers decide to change the game plan?

Rodgers ain't perfect. But MLF is also not perfect and I know darn well which of those two is better at their job than the other.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did the ex-NFL player explain why Rodgers made the change at halftime?
Dont be a smart ***.
He said rodgers was forcing it.
https://app.radio.com/aeec8d3Arcb
Its there..

Rodgers and adams werent in sync for what ever reason.. To keep "forcing it" to him because he is the best, wasnt working. So you keep doing it?

Why was running game stopped? 7 yards per carry lets stop amd go to adams more

That was garys take..rodgers was cking out of runs ( which matt refreded too) to pass to adams...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great, you blindly defend the HC while I, apparently, blindly defend the QB. In the mean time, can someone explain what happened at halftime that made Rodgers decide to change the game plan?

Rodgers ain't perfect. But MLF is also not perfect and I know darn well which of those two is better at their job than the other.
First of all there is nothing blind about trusting the Coach of the team when he says something happened in the game he coached especially when he has a record of 24-7. So again, I trust his assessment over yours. Second if you are truly trying to make this a Rodgers vs Lefleur thing... you are alone there too because Based on the things Rodgers has said I don’t even think he agrees with you.

Also if you had truly watched the game, you would realize that the game had already started going south before the half. Frankly, a lot of things went right that could have gone the other way in the first part of the game, and if a couple more had gone that way in the second half things might have been better there too. Lazzard drops a great pass from Rodgers late in the first half... Adams drops a pass in tight coverage that would have moved the chains etc...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

He isnt blindly following the coach.. He gave exact reason and what coach said..

Stop making **** up

Is rodgers your friend? Or pays you? I never seen some one defend him so much.

Wow

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Listen to adams take on what Carolina did..

Lhttps://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2020/12/23/green-bay-packers-setting-up-another-offensive-line-shuffle/4014082001/?fbclid=IwAR2_wwAPgLAwWvMaUBWHURyURSEefNFF0RodqR8mP5naRWEeLgaYnOiOXGI

Adams credited Panthers defensive pass game coordinator Jason Simmons, who formerly worked with Packers defensive backs the past two seasons, for coming up with a sound game plan.

They obviously had a plan," Adams said, "which was to come in and make sure 17 was not a part of it. Really, just the whole pass game all together, we couldn't really get a whole lot going there. We were running the ball really well early and then when we needed to be able to pass, it was tough because we hadn't established any type of rhythm
It wasn't anything too crazy as far as what they were doing. I would just say the way, the speed that they were playing it, and I had a plan to try to come out and make sure they had guys underneath me, inside, over the top, everywhere. So they did a pretty good job executing that."

D

Deleted member 6794

I also don't believe that it's all on Rodgers in the run game for the second half; what, Rodgers was cool with running in the first half and then decided to abandon it after halftime?

The Packers didn't abandon the run in the second half. Rodgers dropped back to throw it 13 times with the team having nine rushing attempts.

Both didn't work very well though.

hence rotating them in when not in base 3-4

Once again, the Packers don't have anyone on the roster aside of Keke to replace them in base defense though.

Rodgers and adams werent in sync for what ever reason.. To keep "forcing it" to him because he is the best, wasnt working. So you keep doing it?

Why was running game stopped? 7 yards per carry lets stop amd go to adams more

Rodgers targeted Adams a total of four times in the second half, hardly forcing the ball to him.

In addition the run game didn't work in the second half either, averaging only four yards a carry.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers didn't abandon the run in the second half. Rodgers dropped back to throw it 13 times with the team having nine rushing attempts.

Once again, the Packers don't have anyone on the roster aside of Keke to replace them in base defense though.

Rodgers targeted Adams a total of four times in the second half, hardly forcing the ball to him.

In addition the run game didn't work in the second half either, averaging only four yards a carry.
4 yards a carry is actually far better than a sack. Most coaches would consider a 4 yard gain to be a successful play.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
4 yards a carry is actually far better than a sack. Most coaches would consider a 4 yard gain to be a successful play.
The one play where AR12 checked out of the run, didn't pass, then scrambled up the middle. With the size of the hole Rodgers had, Jones would have gotten 20 at least. No one touched AR12 until he had the first down 5(?) yards later.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Not sure why your quoting me as we never end well.. but here goes

Its a pay site..but look at headline

Go harrass them and Gary Ellerson..it was his take I just supplied it.

Just cuz your stat says one thing doesnt mean you need to correct every thing some one posts.

Now..stop quoting me

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The one play where AR12 checked out of the run, didn't pass, then scrambled up the middle. With the size of the hole Rodgers had, Jones would have gotten 20 at least. No one touched AR12 until he had the first down 5(?) yards later.
Rodgers screwed that up I guess? He miss heard matts play

KEYSER SOZE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm doing my math right, our point differential on the year is +116 in the first half and -21 in the second half. What's with the second half struggles?
GB gets a small lead and sits down. Defense gets gassed and allows poor teams to catch up. LaFluer is in over his head...to make matters worse, Pettine should be a greeter at Walmart.

KEYSER SOZE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense scoring 3 points in the second half isn't the problem, it's the DEFENSE!! Interesting take.
What defense? Pettine is over his head....never plays aggressive. Really doesn't matter though...Lafleur doesn't understand the T.E. position...constantly throwing to Adams whether open or not. too many 3 and outs...T.E. should get at least a dozen plays a game.

flynsqrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense issues in 2nd

when def has to trot out every 4 mins they get tired. Yeah they shouldn’t but damn it. After 3 series of no real rest it catches up

Actually, going away from the run during the last two series (3 and outs) of the first half and the 4-5 series (3-and-outs as well) during the 4rd and 4th quarter just about put the game in jeopardy! (Without the Bridgewater fumble at the one, we possibly could have lost the game in OT!).

Listening to ML, he mentioned that one third and 5 it was supposed to be a handout off to Jones, instead Rodgers keeps the ball... he said he likes Rodgers, but... in that case he LIKED Jones better!!! (a slight dig there!)

I'd be more direct and say... don't even attempt to throw the ball on any 3rd and short!!! How many times did Rodgers throw an incompletion or worse yet, get smacked for a loss??? If Crosby doesn't come up big time with the 50+ FG in the Panthers and Lions game... the tide could have turned and we end up losing those two games!

Why go away from what we are doing well (Running the ball to the tune of 114 yards in the 1st half) and going to the pass (where each incompletion stops the clock and wastes a precious down!). As I've said all season, do not waste a precious down throwing the long incompletion to MVS!!! But if you have to, wait until we are 4-5 scores up and with only 2-3 minutes left in game.

Slow and easy, moving the chains for 10-15 play drives will allow our 'soft' defense to rest and theirs to tire and we run down the clock as well... especially with a 21-3 lead! Whoever called all those pass !@#$$%% plays (or changed the play at the LOS) should get their *** kicked in repeatedly!!! Do you think the Steelers of the 70s would pass when they could pound the ball down their opponents throat???

...and if they were trying to get Adams his 9th TD in a row, they failed miserably at that as well!!!

flynsqrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What defense? Pettine is over his head....never plays aggressive. Really doesn't matter though...Lafleur doesn't understand the T.E. position...constantly throwing to Adams whether open or not. too many 3 and outs...T.E. should get at least a dozen plays a game.

Do you blame Lafleur? Or is really Rodgers changing the play to pad his stats??? ...and why try to throw the ball on 3rd and short when our RBs were so successful? (the throws were incompletions or the passing attempts ended up being 4-5 sacks leading to 5-6 3-and-outs???) If we know our defense is soft... don't put them into the situation of coming back on the field!!! Move the chains by gaining 3-4 yards for a first down!!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, going away from the run during the last two series (3 and outs) of the first half and the 4-5 series (3-and-outs as well) during the 4rd and 4th quarter just about put the game in jeopardy! (Without the Bridgewater fumble at the one, we possibly could have lost the game in OT!).

Listening to ML, he mentioned that one third and 5 it was supposed to be a handout off to Jones, instead Rodgers keeps the ball... he said he likes Rodgers, but... in that case he LIKED Jones better!!! (a slight dig there!)

I'd be more direct and say... don't even attempt to throw the ball on any 3rd and short!!! How many times did Rodgers throw an incompletion or worse yet, get smacked for a loss??? If Crosby doesn't come up big time with the 50+ FG in the Panthers and Lions game... the tide could have turned and we end up losing those two games!

Why go away from what we are doing well (Running the ball to the tune of 114 yards in the 1st half) and going to the pass (where each incompletion stops the clock and wastes a precious down!). As I've said all season, do not waste a precious down throwing the long incompletion to MVS!!! But if you have to, wait until we are 4-5 scores up and with only 2-3 minutes left in game.

Slow and easy, moving the chains for 10-15 play drives will allow our 'soft' defense to rest and theirs to tire and we run down the clock as well... especially with a 21-3 lead! Whoever called all those pass !@#$$%% plays (or changed the play at the LOS) should get their *** kicked in repeatedly!!! Do you think the Steelers of the 70s would pass when they could pound the ball down their opponents throat???

...and if they were trying to get Adams his 9th TD in a row, they failed miserably at that as well!!!
I get the sentiment, but there has been more than 1 or 2 times this year the shoutbox has erupted after a failed 3rd and 2 on a long pass attempt, only to remain very silent when they did it again the next drive and it goes for 40 yards or a TD. It's happened, this year even. Multiple times.

Our 3rd down percentage isn't terrible, they're doing something right. I would like to think that with 1 or 2 yards we'd be able to run for that 80% of time and get it. over and over again and then once and while play action pass for the 40 yard play. But our overall conversions are pretty good, it's not like everyone else is better and we fail because of wanting to throw the ball.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you blame Lafleur? Or is really Rodgers changing the play to pad his stats??? ...and why try to throw the ball on 3rd and short when our RBs were so successful? (the throws were incompletions or the passing attempts ended up being 4-5 sacks leading to 5-6 3-and-outs???) If we know our defense is soft... don't put them into the situation of coming back on the field!!! Move the chains by gaining 3-4 yards for a first down!!!
You realize the Packers are #2 in the entire league for converting 3rd downs to first downs or scores? Just under half the time. They gotta be doing something right. They also are #6 in not even getting to third down. #5 in drives that end in a score. #1 in time of possession, #1 in not turning the ball over, #1 in time per drive and #2 in yards per drive.
Actually watch the game sometime. BTW most of the defensive stats in the same categories are middle of the road.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree but the run game wasn't as successful as in the first half. Passing the ball was the main issue as the Packers gained an average of only one yard per play in the second half, resulting in getting four yards per carry not moving the chains either.

Really doesn't matter though...Lafleur doesn't understand the T.E. position...constantly throwing to Adams whether open or not. too many 3 and outs...T.E. should get at least a dozen plays a game.

Tonyan, a former undrafted player, is tied for the league lead in touchdowns at the position. I'm quite sure MLF has a pretty decent idea of how to correctly use the position.

I'd be more direct and say... don't even attempt to throw the ball on any 3rd and short!!! How many times did Rodgers throw an incompletion or worse yet, get smacked for a loss???

The Packers have converted 56.5% of their attempts on third or fourth down with three or less yards to go throwing the ball this season.

Do you blame Lafleur? Or is really Rodgers changing the play to pad his stats???

I'm absolutely convinced Rodgers doesn't care about padding his stats.

Members online

Latest posts